Roy Hodgson Appointed WBA Boss

Will He Keep them Up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Be prepared for **** football and no away wins! :D

Amen brother.

Non-LFC fans are finding it difficult to take our word for it seemingly. I suppose we must forgive them for that. They haven't recently come through the worst first half of a season, results-wise, in most fans' living memory & also haven't been served up the worst excuse for football anyone can remember either.

On the other hand, if their idea of a premiership manager is one who utilizes ugly functional football which doesn't actually function, & ****** off players with his crappy man management & tactics, & supporters with his feeble excuses for failure & constant negativity, then Hodgson IS Premiership management material, & we should bow to their collective wisdom.

Wow a 4 game win streak really ? Doesn't mean your team are great.. A new found confidence given by A club legend is all thats needed. Beating wolves isn't that great an achievement.. Nor is beating Fulham or Stoke at home tbh.. The Chelsea one fair enough is a great result. But just because your on a 4 win streak doesn't make your side great. The side has been pretty poor for a while now finishing 7th last season and sitting 6 points adrift of 4th and 5th. So you consider that a good liverpool side ? But you have a tough run of fixtures coming up in the coming months see if your win streak continues then say the side aren't poor :)

Did I say we were great? The squad is nothing special but is certainly top 6, yet under Woy we were lurking around the bottom half. A 4 game win streak with no goals conceded would have been 'unbelievable' if Woy was still managing us. We are not a poor side.

Finally Woy gets his big break at a big club........:p

In all honesty i love Robby Di Matteo and hope WBA go down.

Wow a 4 game win streak really ? Doesn't mean your team are great.. A new found confidence given by A club legend is all thats needed. Beating wolves isn't that great an achievement.. Nor is beating Fulham or Stoke at home tbh.. The Chelsea one fair enough is a great result.

The Wolves that beat United 2-1, we beat them 3-0 only weeks before and tore them apart. Fulham granted is something you'd expect, Stoke are never easy to beat and Chelsea was a fantastic result. When you see Kenny out-thinking Ancelotti tactically you then look to Hodgson who was losing to some proper dump teams, the man is far too naive to change his tried and tested methods of the past 30 years.

But just because your on a 4 win streak doesn't make your side great. The side has been pretty poor for a while now finishing 7th last season and sitting 6 points adrift of 4th and 5th. So you consider that a good liverpool side ? But you have a tough run of fixtures coming up in the coming months see if your win streak continues then say the side aren't poor :)

No 4 wins on the spin doesn't the side great. However it does show that the team is a lot, lot better than when Roy was in charge. I consider a good Liverpool side one that can win under any circumstance and playing good football at the same time, bringing pass and move back into our game. Which incidentally, Kenny is doing.

On topic:- Roy is a decent manager for the 'smaller clubs', he is just stuck in his mindset of 1980. He'll keep West Brom up IMO.

Yeah, At the end of the day The manager is in charge, Why he should he change what hes had success with ? IS Rafa a poor manager then ? He had 1 bad season. and having another at Inter but I wouldn't say hes a poor manager.

Yes, he's in charge and he's paid to do a job. That job is to get the best results possible, forcing his players to conform to his ways rather than adapting to the player's he has at his disposal. Would you say if Guardiola was sacked at Barca, then you'd like Hodgson to go there and get Puyol to hoof it to Messi? Okay, that'll never happen, but it illustrates the point that he failed to adapt to his team.

He doesn't really have a plan B, look at United at Southampton/Blackpool and the difference after Fergie changed things. Would you rather him have been stubborn with his ways; that he was right and the players were failing to adhere to his tactical instruction, and then most likely lose those games?

i personally think woy Hodgson was unlucky. He signed good players for Liverpool as well as Fulham.
I reckon he'll do fine at the Hawthorns finish 15th this year may be :p

Amen brother.

Non-LFC fans are finding it difficult to take our word for it seemingly. I suppose we must forgive them for that. They haven't recently come through the worst first half of a season, results-wise, in most fans' living memory & also haven't been served up the worst excuse for football anyone can remember either.

On the other hand, if their idea of a premiership manager is one who utilizes ugly functional football which doesn't actually function, & ****** off players with his crappy man management & tactics, & supporters with his feeble excuses for failure & constant negativity, then Hodgson IS Premiership management material, & we should bow to their collective wisdom.

You're basing Hodgson on one stint at one club. Yes, Roy didn't work out at Liverpool but he was completely the opposite at Fulham. Brian Clough failed at Leeds yet he was one of the best Manager's of his era. I'm not comparing Hodgson and Clough and I understand that Roy was ***** at Liverpool but sometimes things just don't work out for club or manager.

i personally think woy Hodgson was unlucky. He signed good players for Liverpool as well as Fulham.

No he didn't.

Konchesky - ****.
Poulsen - ****.
Jones - ****.
Meireles was his only good signing, and he didn't have a ******* clue how to play him!

I reckon he'll do fine at the Hawthorns finish 15th this year may be :p

Indeed, Konchesky and Poulsen have been unbelievable.

Did I say we were great? The squad is nothing special but is certainly top 6, yet under Woy we were lurking around the bottom half. A 4 game win streak with no goals conceded would have been 'unbelievable' if Woy was still managing us. We are not a poor side.

A top 6 liverpool team and only just a top 6 liverpool team IMO is a poor side, Liverpool should be a Champions league side, not europa league and I think have been pretty poor fair enough theyve performed well in the last 4 games but whos to say thats to last ? I have not once stated Roy is a great manager and no doubt he was the wrong choice for liverpool personally think he should have stayed at Fulham. But you are all wrong to say he is a poor manager. Your criticising me for saying Liverpool are a poor side yet you say Roys a poor manager.. You finished 7th under Rafa - which is poor. Fair enough kennys got the team playing well again but that could all end as quickly as it started..

The Wolves that beat United 2-1, we beat them 3-0 only weeks before and tore them apart. Fulham granted is something you'd expect, Stoke are never easy to beat and Chelsea was a fantastic result. When you see Kenny out-thinking Ancelotti tactically you then look to Hodgson who was losing to some proper dump teams, the man is far too naive to change his tried and tested methods of the past 30 years.

No 4 wins on the spin doesn't the side great. However it does show that the team is a lot, lot better than when Roy was in charge. I consider a good Liverpool side one that can win under any circumstance and playing good football at the same time, bringing pass and move back into our game. Which incidentally, Kenny is doing.

On topic:- Roy is a decent manager for the 'smaller clubs', he is just stuck in his mindset of 1980. He'll keep West Brom up IMO.

Just because Wolves beat united for a start the game was away for United your game against them was at home. They had a good week ? United didn't.. Stoke may not be easy to beat but at home Liverpool should be expected to beat everyone that's the kind of stature you used to have. Hem ay be naive to change his method however his method worked at other clubs aswell.

I agree hes a good manager for smaller clubs I don't doubt that but i'm not saying he should be managing big clubs basically what I'm saying is he deserves a bit more respect than what he's getting.

And as to the Barca comment he is not the only person payed to do a job, The players are also paid to do a job and that is to do what the manager tells them and win games. It's not all just down to the manager.

Yes, he's in charge and he's paid to do a job. That job is to get the best results possible, forcing his players to conform to his ways rather than adapting to the player's he has at his disposal. Would you say if Guardiola was sacked at Barca, then you'd like Hodgson to go there and get Puyol to hoof it to Messi? Okay, that'll never happen, but it illustrates the point that he failed to adapt to his team.

He doesn't really have a plan B, look at United at Southampton/Blackpool and the difference after Fergie changed things. Would you rather him have been stubborn with his ways; that he was right and the players were failing to adhere to his tactical instruction, and then most likely lose those games?

The best Managers are the ones that can adapt and evolve there tactics to the players they have available to them. Roy isn't one of these managers but it is very rare to find them, Fergie is one of them though considering how successful he's been with so many different players over the years. Roy sticks to a style that is tried and tested but it will only work if the players are receptive towards it, especially if the current system isn't working like it was at Fulham under Sanchez. Roy isn't all hoof ball but his style is use on wingers like Jake said and Liverpool don't exactly have them in abundance.

As for the plan B comment, Guardiola doesn't really have one either.

Just because Wolves beat united for a start the game was away for United your game against them was at home. They had a good week ? United didn't.. Stoke may not be easy to beat but at home Liverpool should be expected to beat everyone that's the kind of stature you used to have. Hem ay be naive to change his method however his method worked at other clubs aswell.

We lost 1-0 at home to Wolves with Roy in charge, we beat them 3-0 away. Get your facts right...

Yes we should be beating Stoke, but they aren't a bad side.

The problem being, yes his method didn't work here, he didn't do anything about changing it. He just sat there stroking his fat, saggy chin and hoped it would all work out all of a sudden. It did not. We were languishing bottom half. He was deservedly sacked.

Last edited:
And as to the Barca comment he is not the only person payed to do a job, The players are also paid to do a job and that is to do what the manager tells them and win games. It's not all just down to the manager.

The players objective is to perform to the best of how the manager wants to play them. The manager's job is to maximise the performance of those players with man management, tactics. If Pep was sacked today, and Barca spiralled down the table with a new manager, is that Barca side a bad team? No, the manager is failing them. If you run a business, you have a manager and employees under them. If your shop fails to make the profit expected, the manager is fired not the employee's.

Roy is one dimensional and should only ever be at the "smaller" clubs, although I'm unsure if WBA have the players he needs.

A top 6 liverpool team and only just a top 6 liverpool team IMO is a poor side, Liverpool should be a Champions league side, not europa league and I think have been pretty poor fair enough theyve performed well in the last 4 games but whos to say thats to last ? I have not once stated Roy is a great manager and no doubt he was the wrong choice for liverpool personally think he should have stayed at Fulham. But you are all wrong to say he is a poor manager. Your criticising me for saying Liverpool are a poor side yet you say Roys a poor manager.. You finished 7th under Rafa - which is poor. Fair enough kennys got the team playing well again but that could all end as quickly as it started..

Quote me where I said Woy was a bad manager please..

Rafa had a bad season and was consequently sacked. Woy's a good manager at the right club, Liverpool wasn't the right club for him, and I doubt WBA are either, his ideas are far too outdated for footballing teams. Liverpool you say are poor, but are a top 6 team? Does that mean any team outside of the top 4 is a poor side? We should be a Champions League side yes, but we have no god given right to be there, we're in a transitional phase and will be back there eventually, hopefully under the guidance of the King who you seem unable to give a bit of credit to.

But the thread's about Hodgson being appointed for WBA and whether he'll keep them up. I think they'd have had more chance under Di Matteo who is a very modernistic manager, think they'll go down under Woy unfortunately as I like the club.

The best Managers are the ones that can adapt and evolve there tactics to the players they have available to them. Roy isn't one of these managers but it is very rare to find them, Fergie is one of them though considering how successful he's been with so many different players over the years. Roy sticks to a style that is tried and tested but it will only work if the players are receptive towards it, especially if the current system isn't working like it was at Fulham under Sanchez. Roy isn't all hoof ball but his style is use on wingers like Jake said and Liverpool don't exactly have them in abundance.

As for the plan B comment, Guardiola doesn't really have one either.

He doesn't need one with the calibre of players he has and the success they achieved. Although you could argue he could have changed things in the Inter game, not many people will say Guardiola is a top, top quality manager.

No he didn't.

Konchesky - ****.
Poulsen - ****.
Jones - ****.
Meireles was his only good signing, and he didn't have a ******* clue how to play him!

You forgot Joe Cole ... Free Transfer i believe to be a good player, 2 good, 3 bad i say thats some good signings

You forgot Joe Cole ... Free Transfer i believe to be a good player, 2 good, 3 bad i say thats some good signings

cole has been ****, even for a free transfer :S The fact that Alex forgot about him shows how little he has done for Liverpool ;)

No, Joe Cole has been absolute pony.

1 good, 4 bad. Yet it is not mentioned in the media about Woy's poor signings and Meireles is always referred to as Woy's brilliant signing. Yet with Rafa, one poor signing and he is absolutely lambasted for it.

my sincere condolences go out to all WBA fans YNWA (You'll Never Win Away)