Roy Hodgson poised to become new Liverpool manager

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think he has bitten off more than he can chew

Deffo, seems he can get the best out of players like Zamora, Duff and the general players at Fulham, will be good to see if he can handle the 'superstars' at Liverpool, I know he is experienced, but he's not been at a 'top' club for a while and there are alot more premadonnas than there were back in his Inter days.

Deffo, seems he can get the best out of players like Zamora, Duff and the general players at Fulham, will be good to see if he can handle the 'superstars' at Liverpool, I know he is experienced, but he's not been at a 'top' club for a while and there are alot more premadonnas than there were back in his Inter days.
i agree. and he wont have an owner who has got his back. he's got a bunch of vultures, who will turn on him when they need to save his own skin. make no mistake, when things go bad they will hang him out to dry, and he doesnt deserve that

i agree. and he wont have an owner who has got his back. he's got a bunch of vultures, who will turn on him when they need to save his own skin. make no mistake, when things go bad they will hang him out to dry, and he doesnt deserve that

yeah, he seems a nice honest guy tbh, something that Liverpool need, but at the same time Roy doesn't really need Liverpool.

I suppose aslong as he gets them top four next season, it will be considered successful.

I think it would be a good appointment for Liverpool -- if the fans and board accept they won't challenge for the title next season and give him time to rebuild the squad.

Similar to the job he was charged with at Inter in his first season there -- in a very good Serie A, much better than today's version -- though he did have money available. Inter were garbage and going nowhere when he took over, but two years later they had a solid squad that would go on to win the Uefa cup and finish runners-up in Serie A under the management of Simoni. Though Roy didn't win the trophy himself, he is credited with building the squad and stabilising the club in order for them to be in position to do so.

I think its the best appointment as I dont think liverpool have the money at the moment to pay huge wages to a coach and they could get Roy Hodgson for about half the wages as most coach's these days.

He is also used to working with a budget and with the owners Liverpool has he will have to, He also can get the best out of players and gets the respect from the players, Something I think Benitez lost towards the end of his job with Liverpool, For the short term its a good appointment until the owners sell the club and if rich new owners come in they can let him go or if he had being doing a good job keep him, I think Roy will be very happy with getting the job at Liverpool because he may have felt who took Fulham to as far as he could take them.

Have a bad feeling about this move. I'm not convinced he will even last the season at Liverpool.

Considering what he's done to Fulham with players that he has at his disposal, I can't imagine how well he will do with Liverpool, he will bring the best out your players, that is for sure.

Good manager, not the right man for the Liverpool job. The yanks have payed out nearly £10 Million to get rid of Rafa and bring Roy in, a waste of money I reckon. Roy coming in means Mascherano will leave and there is a high chance Torres and Gerrard might. Feel sorry for Roy, Fulham is a better place to be than Liverpool right now.

before you no it we will have zamora at liverpool. Future days look bleak for my team, Hodgson isn't good enough. Yes he had a good season at fulham ( in my opinion a 1 off ) but that doesn't deserve a top club. People forgetting he didn't win the europa cup he hasn't won anything in ages....

Now all we need is King Kenny to ***** slap Torres so he doesn't want to leave.

before you no it we will have zamora at liverpool. Future days look bleak for my team, Hodgson isn't good enough. Yes he had a good season at fulham ( in my opinion a 1 off ) but that doesn't deserve a top club. People forgetting he didn't win the europa cup he hasn't won anything in ages....

He must of had two '1 off seasons' then seeing as the season before last, he finished 7th and qualified to Europe and then we finished 12th and made the Europa League final.

with all due respect, you're not exactly a top club at the moment

still he wouldnt be my choice, but mainly because i dont wanna see him dragged through the mud

To be fair Roy has a quality record in foreign countries. 6 Swedish Leagues with 2 different teams and 2 Swedish Cups. A Danish League and a Danish Cup. He made Orebro who were a struggling Swedish side into title challengers, did a pretty good job at Inter Milan too. Not forgetting what he has done to Fulham, earning them their highest ever league finish, and taking them to the Europa League final. Not sure what you have against him. The only person I would of wanted ahead of him was Dalglish.

Last edited:
To be fair Roy has a quality record in foreign countries. 6 Swedish Leagues with 2 different teams and 2 Swedish Cups. A Danish League and a Danish Cup. He made Orebro who were a struggling Swedish side into title challengers, did a pretty good job at Inter Milan too. Not forgetting what he has done to Fulham, earning them their highest ever league finish, and taking them to the Europa League. Not sure what you have against him. The only person I would of wanted ahead of him was Dalglish.

Swedish and Danish leagues aren't the strongest and his success there was at the time when they were still figuring out how to play the game (he was part of the group of English coaches who introduced them to 'modern tactics' - one of their disciples was, erm, Sven). The level they were at is perhaps exemplified by his getting sacked from Bristol when in between Scandinavian titles. He did a good job at Switzerland and got the Inter job on the back of it. He was a safe pair of hands (ie a good 'yes man') during Inter's turbulent period and got on with the owner but by any standards he wasn't successful there. He then went to Blackburn and got them relegated. He's done a decent job with a Fulham side which was underperforming and he's done it on the back of the owner investing in the team again.

He's a solid coach. One of those Michels' calls level 2 - counter attacking intentions and direct balls to whippets up front. Kind of like Ged, who won a UEFA cup winning with that style of play and who was sacked because no-one could be arsed turning up week in and week out to watch it.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Purslow was making the club so toxic that the owners won't be tempted to stay. As it is, I just think he's got an over inflated opinion of himself and whose attempts to bully fans with legal threats are going to just result in him having to see how quick he can run in a pair of cuban heels.

This ain't going to be pretty in the slightest. The only slight upside is that Roy's meeja love-in will mean maybe a greater focus on the owners. And it could have been Klinsmann I guess. Small comforts, eh?

Who would you of wanted to get the job Zeb?

Swedish and Danish leagues aren't the strongest and his success there was at the time when they were still figuring out how to play the game (he was part of the group of English coaches who introduced them to 'modern tactics' - one of their disciples was, erm, Sven). The level they were at is perhaps exemplified by his getting sacked from Bristol when in between Scandinavian titles. He did a good job at Switzerland and got the Inter job on the back of it. He was a safe pair of hands (ie a good 'yes man') during Inter's turbulent period and got on with the owner but by any standards he wasn't successful there. He then went to Blackburn and got them relegated. He's done a decent job with a Fulham side which was underperforming and he's done it on the back of the owner investing in the team again.

I understand that Swedish and Danish league isn't the strongest but at Malmo he managed 5 consecutive league titles which is very hard for a team to attain at any level. Although he did get sacked by Bristol City, the club was already a sinking ship before he joined with huge debt, he had nothing to work on. At Blackburn, his was ravaged by injuries which ultimately got him sacked and Blackburn relegated, however, squads weren't as big in those days. His career went a bit wayward in the turn of the century though with spells aty Udinese and U.A.E. He certainly got back on track narrowly missing out on the European championships with a mediocre Finland side. I still think although not many fans are pleased that he can lead you into the top 5 or maybe top 4.

I agree, the money the owners have forked out on compensation as-well, could of went on buying a decent player :'(

You'll not be getting many good players for 6 million quid. Might cover an average player's wages for the length of his contract although you'd still be short a transfer fee and stuff like a signing on fee, agent's fee and all the other bollocks which pull money out of football clubs.

*shrug*

I'm trying to find the funny side of sacking a manager who is instantly snapped up by Inter and replacing him with Hodgson. I'm sure there is one. It's like sacking Bobby Robson and replacing him with Souness or something. And how we laughed.

You'll not be getting many good players for 6 million quid. Might cover an average player's wages for the length of his contract although you'd still be short a transfer fee and stuff like a signing on fee, agent's fee and all the other bollocks which pull money out of football clubs.

*shrug*

I'm trying to find the funny side of sacking a manager who is instantly snapped up by Inter and replacing him with Hodgson. I'm sure there is one. It's like sacking Bobby Robson and replacing him with Souness or something. And how we laughed.

And the money we are paying Fulham to discuss a contract with Hodgson as-well. But I agree, Rafa is a top manager and we have replaced him with someone, who in my eyes just isn't a better manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back