Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. are all massive twats: Discuss!

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 84
  • Views Views 7K
No offense but I felt like I had to wash my hands after reading this. The "mess of governmental regulations" you're referring to that exists in every industry to prevent monopolization is vital for the stability of an economy...there are many reasons the boom/bust cycle before the World War II era was much more volatile than it is now, but one of them is a vast amount of anti-trust legislation that has prevented the consolidation in many industries, which helps keep competition healthy and brings a more equitable distribution of wealth. We've moved away from that in the past 30 or so years and we've seen unhealthy consolidation in a lot of industries, particularly telecommunications and certain aspects of finance. This was done in the name of efficiency, using the exact logic you used in your post. I won't claim that this was a cause of the financial crisis but I believe they're correlated.

Right, I see how that could be misinterpreted - I meant that a lot of the regulations backfire, especially when it comes to equality. In Norway there was a big row about second generation immigrants getting a quota in the police academies, which basically meant they didn't need competence (grades and CV) to get in, which then led to general mistrust of the immigrant policemen amongst the police. I do however see the long term logic in trying to integrate them. An example of, in my opinion, regulation that didn't work is this.

But that's entirely besides the point. Whether or not anti-trust regulations for the media are efficient or not is completely irrelevant. The media is a public good. It has an immeasurable impact on how people view the world and politics in particular, especially in the modern world with the popularity of the television. Peoples' worldview is more profoundly shaped by the media than ever before. Maintaining the healthy state of this good is extremely important for the citizens of that nation as well as the audience in other parts of the globe and it is vital for the well-being of a democracy. The media as a whole has an immense amount of political power because of how much influence it has over the popular perception of politics. When the press is freer and comprised of a variety of sources, this isn't an issue. When one entity controls a significant portion of it, whether it is the state or a large corporate conglomerate, the press is less free, gravely endangering the fairness of the political process.

Of course the media has a lot to say on people's world views; from Glenn Beck (horror) to South Park, it all affects people's views. I obviously agree there shouldn't be a monopoly, but we simply disagree on the methods. However, what is this "state of good" you speak of? Have you seen the average person? There's a market for the Sun, and that's why it sells. I would personally never buy it, but I'm not going to set fire to shops that sell it.

What's worse with private consolidation of the media is that the public has little to no control over it...if the state controls too large a share of the media (we're assuming this is a liberal democracy because there is a free press), the public can exercise its votes to change the policies: perhaps by changing the personnel involved in running the media outlets or the amount of organizations or sources (channels, papers, etc.) available or changing the laws to allow allow more private competition, among other things. When the media is monopolized by huge conglomerates, however, as is the case in the US and Britain, the public has little to no control over the matter. We have no real way to 'vote them out' or to change who controls our media and what sources are given access to media outlets.

Ah, but then you get the problem of democracy - the tyranny of the many. Examples include the recent peaceful demonstrations in Malaysia where the Muslim Malays are in power and pretty much walk all over the Indian and Chinese minorities through the government. The minorities were wanting an election without cheating and went out to demonstrate - they got absolutely shagged by the police and were branded as terrorists by the government-owned media. Additionally, the public isn't always right - just look at Greece where the public sector voted for parties that would give them the most, with the private sector carrying the burden and the public getting off through corruption. To combat that you need a strong constitution banning such things, such as Sweden which just recently banned deficit spending. Then you've got Obama who's now raising the debt ceiling, again (not that it's a rare thing to do, but it's getting pretty unmanageable and the US's credit rating is about to be downgraded. Linky

And equally as important is the goal of these institutions. In this day and age where the public depends so much on the media for information and in which the public's perception is so heavily influenced by it, the journalistic integrity of the media is of paramount importance. This public good in this case is so important that we are much better off having media sources whose sole purpose is one of journalistic duty and not of profit. These two are fundamentally different, and the public suffers as a result of only having access to large corporate media outlets who only care about profits and not the quality or objectivity of the immensely important journalistic service that they provide to the public.

Naturally, high standards of journalism are required, which is why there are laws governing that, which I agree with. And how long do you intend a newspaper to run without turning a profit?

There's a reason that my homepage is the BBC and not some ****** American newspaper. It's because the BBC is one of the best institutions of journalism in the world and it's due in no small part to the fact that that is their goal instead of profit.

Hahha, seriously? The BBC is pro-government/labour. They weren't reporting a lot of the wikileaks things that cast Britain and Labour in a bad light. However, in general they're quite good, but everyone is. I wouldn't watch Faux News (though Glenn Beck is quite funny, like a retarded child running in circles) if my life depended on it - though I enjoy anything from the Huffington Post to the BBC.

It's not his "right" to do so. Luckily we live in some sort of democracy and the public has a voice in how our economy is managed. Businessmen must act within the confines of whatever policy the public decides is best for the nation as a whole. In any modern, civilized country, there are strict rules (well, not quite as much in the past two or three decades or so) against the consolidation of industries so that there is healthy and fair competition. This is good for the economy and it is good for the public. I don't know the specifics of the laws in Britain, although my guess is that Murdoch has amassed this empire legally thanks to the push Britain has made towards deregulation in all areas in the past few decades. Hopefully the public comes to its senses and starts to clamp down a bit so that it's not this bad for future generations. And as far as "smashing competition goes," whether or not he is doing so legally it's not healthy for the economy and it isn't fair either. Although it may be possible in the libertarian Rayndian fantasy world a lot of people live in, in this industry in particular there is no way some mom and pop newspaper or TV station can seriously challenge the Murdoch empire. And even if it did, Murdoch would simply buy it up. That is not fair, it is not sound economically, and it is bad for the health of Britain's democracy. I find it disgusting that you're trying to defend this, that your first thought would be to value what you perceive to be efficiency, and more importantly his "right" to amass this empire, over any of the other values I've just expressed (democracy, freedom of thought, the economy as a whole, the British public, etc. etc.)

First, I'm not a libertarian. And I believe it's anyone's right to spend their hard-earned money as they see fit. You believe they should spend it for the public interest?

He's successful at amassing a vast amount of wealth ultimately at the expense of the British populace in many different ways. Again, why on earth would you even think to value that over the good of Britain's democracy, society, and economy, among other things? And cleaning up the regulations within Britain's media industry certainly doesn't have to mean annuling his property "rights."

How's it "at the expense?" He saved ailing newspapers and created one **** of a lot of jobs. What I meant with property "rights," as you put it, is that it is HIS money, not yours. Is that your democracy, for the greater "good"? Also, you have the last word; we both agree there shouldn't be monopolies, we just disagree on how to do it.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;k9c-QVw-FWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9c-QVw-FWs[/video]

Reports they hacked 9/11 victims too. Will get roasted by the Americans if that's true.

nice remake of a classic Sun heading in tomorrow's Metro

16030720.jpg

Reports they hacked 9/11 victims too. Will get roasted by the Americans if that's true.

I personally don't think they will get any results regarding this. It's just too diabolicle to even think about. OK, hacking the phone of a girl who has gone missing, not initially knowing if she is dead or not is very bad, but knowing hundreds of people perished on a day that the earth stood still is just too bad to even think about. It sickens me that there is even a minute possibility though. How far can you go back in history? To when the very first mobile phones were available? When the 'hacking' capability was possible?

Thank god that Brooks has resigned. Should've done it sooner

I personally don't think they will get any results regarding this. It's just too diabolicle to even think about. OK, hacking the phone of a girl who has gone missing, not initially knowing if she is dead or not is very bad, but knowing hundreds of people perished on a day that the earth stood still is just too bad to even think about. It sickens me that there is even a minute possibility though. How far can you go back in history? To when the very first mobile phones were available? When the 'hacking' capability was possible?

They hacked 7/7 victims and dead army personnels families. Why not 9/11? Mobile phones were certainly available at the times of 9/11 too.

NoW phone-hacking whistle-blower Sean ***** found dead

Sean ***** had told the BBC that phone hacking was "endemic" at the News of the World
Continue reading the main story
Phone-hacking scandal

Phone-hacking row as it happened: 18 July
Yates quits Met amid hacking row
MPs delay break to debate hacking
The MPs who will quiz the Murdochs
A former News of the World journalist who made phone-hacking allegations against the paper has been found dead.

Sean ***** had told the New York Times the practice was far more extensive than the paper acknowledged when police first investigated hacking claims.

Hertfordshire Police said the body of a man was found at a property in Langley Road, Watford, on Monday morning.

A police spokesman said the death was currently being treated as unexplained, but was not thought to be suspicious.

Cases referred
The spokesman said: "At 10.40am today [Monday] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street.

"Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

Mr ***** had told the BBC's Panorama that phone hacking was "endemic" at the News of the World (NoW).

He also said the then NoW editor Andy Coulson had asked him to hack phones - something Mr Coulson has denied.

In other developments in the phone-hacking story on Monday:

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates resigned after growing pressure
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) received referrals from the Metropolitan Police Authority about the conduct of four current or former senior Met officers
Labour leader Ed Miliband again attacked Prime Minister David Cameron for hiring former News of the World editor Andy Coulson at Number 10
Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks confirmed she would appear before a committee of MPs on Tuesday, alongside Rupert and James Murdoch, despite her arrest and questioning by police on Sunday
News Corporation established an independent body headed by senior barrister Lord Grabiner QC to lead its internal inquiry into the News of the World phone-hacking scandal
Shares in News Corporation dropped by 7.6% to a two-year low in trading in Australia, and suffered a 4.3% fall in New York
The Serious Fraud Office said it would give "full consideration" to a request by Labour MP Tom Watson to investigate out-of-court settlements made to hacking victims
Press Association reporter Laura Elston's lawyer said she would would face no further action. She had been arrested last month by police investigating allegations of phone hacking by journalists
Mr Yates checked the credentials of Neil Wallis before the Met employed the former News of the World deputy editor.

Mr Wallis was arrested and released on bail on Thursday on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications.

Met Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson, the most senior policeman in Britain, resigned on Sunday after facing criticism for the force's recruitment of Mr Wallis as a PR consultant.

Mr Yates's resignation came after he was informed he would be suspended pending an inquiry into his links with Mr Wallis.

Job probe
Mayor of London Boris Johnson said Deputy Commissioner Tim Godwin would be in charge at Scotland Yard until Sir Paul's replacement was appointed. Mr Yates will be replaced in the interim as the Met's head of counter-terrorism by Assistant Commissioner Cressida ****.

Mr Johnson said it was right for both Sir Paul and Mr Yates to stand down. Mr Yates said his conscience was clear and had "deep regret" over his resignation.

The IPCC said four referrals relating to the police's phone-hacking investigation involved Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson, who resigned on Sunday, and Mr Yates, as well as two other former senior officers.

The BBC understands the other two officers are former Assistant Commissioner Andy Hayman and former Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke.

A fifth referral relates to the alleged involvement of Mr Yates in inappropriately securing a job at the Met for the daughter of a friend.

The BBC understands the woman to be Amy Wallis, daughter of Mr Wallis, and that she works in a civilian non-operational role.

In the Commons, Home Secretary Theresa May announced that HM Inspectorate of Constabulary would look into corruption in the police, and Independent Police Complaints Commission investigations on the same issue would be part of the judge-led inquiry into the hacking scandal.

Mr Cameron is cutting short a trade visit to Africa by a further seven hours to prepare for a statement to the Commons on Wednesday.

BBC News - NoW phone-hacking whistle-blower Sean ***** found dead

(really cba to format this article)

Its amazing just how much has come of this.

Facing the FBI in the US, potential criminal charges there

Its amazing just how much has come of this.

Facing the FBI in the US, potential criminal charges there

Some even think it could be the downfall of Cameron, although unless I'm missing something I don't see how hiring an innocent man threatens his premiership.

The sun have been hacked by LulzSec apparently. If you type in www . thesun. co. uk , you get redirected to some story about Rupert Murdoch being found dead.

Some even think it could be the downfall of Cameron, although unless I'm missing something I don't see how hiring an innocent man threatens his premiership.

Not sure Coulsdon is innocent, and clearly this runs much much deeper than initially thought. Just being linked to something this bad can kill a career

Not sure Coulsdon is innocent, and clearly this runs much much deeper than initially thought. Just being linked to something this bad can kill a career

But he hired an innocent man at that time, and innocent until proven guilty, right? He's only just been arrested after all.

But he hired an innocent man at that time, and innocent until proven guilty, right? He's only just been arrested after all.

He may not have been innocent at the time, in fact the scandal was already underway. Common sense would have not been to go near him.

He may not have been innocent at the time, in fact the scandal was already underway. Common sense would have not been to go near him.

True, but he was still innocent by the eyes of the law, and I think they were quite close friends, so he probably trusted him to say he'd done nothing wrong. Imagine he's rather ****** with him right now. :P

Anyone watching?

How do you think they have come out of it?

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Rupert Murdoch has been attacked.

I'm rofling so hard at Murdochs wife slapping the demonstrator on the head.

Back