Russia World Cup 2018

• Thread starter Thread starter zzeezzy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 49K
As soon as Dier was brought on I thought England through this magnificent opportunity away. But they got away with it and Dier scored the clincher PK. Why is Sterling and Alli still starting? Both have been below average this tournament. I was screaming for Loftus-Cheek to be in the game. I think he could of done a lot more against Colombia then those other two. Why is Kane playing as a Box-to-Box midfielder? He was receiving the ball at the edge of his own box. He kept coming deeper and deeper to get the ball. Can no one else play the ball through the middle?

Sweden will be a dog of a team to play against, one of them teams England don't have great record against either.

but still a fantastic opportunity, they play a 4-4-2, it's very English football old-school way of playing. But if we have good movement, between the lines and pace we should cause it problems.

Also I don't get the hate for Steriing again, no one is saying he was great in an attacking sense. But no one was, it was that type of game where Colombia wouldn't allow any momentum to be built. The referee couldn't control the game also.

Sterling was man-handled all game, but I thought he kept the ball well, despite Mina use him for piggy back most the game.

But I'm still not sure what is best lineup for Sweden.

Oh lord, 3 days break, what I am supposed to do with myself until Friday.

Oh lord, 3 days break, what I am supposed to do with myself until Friday.

As an English fan I need this 2 day break so badly after last night... I felt I'd aged 50 years after that.

England really need to produce a central mid who can spark some creativity and good forward passes in midfield. Wilshere isn't good enough and over-hyped. There is one probably coming through somewhere in the lower divisions when I can't think of.

Doubt it can be same lineup for Sweden because of fitness/fatigue and some injuries.

England really need to produce a central mid who can spark some creativity and good forward passes in midfield. Wilshere isn't good enough and over-hyped. There is one probably coming through somewhere in the lower divisions when I can't think of.

Doubt it can be same lineup for Sweden because of fitness/fatigue and some injuries.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek Defo has it in his locker.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek Defo has it in his locker.

He's good but not sure if his passing range is that great, he seems more of a creator than a dictator. Henderson again fits into numerous categories as well.

If only we still had Scholesy! One of the most misused England players ever.

Lewis Cook, product of Leeds stolen by Bournemouth(as supporter devasteted but good to see him playing higher level). A bit early for this WC but if keeps up his game he will be in the next.

Lewis Cook is scheming midfielder England have desperately lacked - will he force late World Cup spot?

On other notes. Shame not getting Super Cup tickets. Local guys dont get tickets but workmate from Turkey got approved for them...I have no luck I assume :/ Ahh will keep the money for Leeds trip this season.

Last edited:
Why does anyone listen to anything that *** says, he's lost all his credibility anyway.
To be fair it just made me laugh, has he even have any credibility since the 'hand of God' incident. The only thing he actually got right was that the ref was out of his depth (as have several other refs in this world cup) but that is by the by as they say.

To be fair it just made me laugh, has he even have any credibility since the 'hand of God' incident. The only thing he actually got right was that the ref was out of his depth (as have several other refs in this world cup) but that is by the by as they say.

Yeh I was kind of referring to his credibility as a footballer before the hand of god, he has been a belled ever since that and truth be told, he was probably one before also. In truth I don't remember but I've never liked him and it's satisfying Argentina going out just not to see his mug.

Yeah, all the respect to Diego, but most of the older players from his generation have no idea what they are talking about. There's been so many changes to referring it's practically a different game.

In many ways, this Sweden game could be the ultimate test of how far England really have progressed (or not) under Southgate. I say that because two years ago in the Euros we played another Scandinavian team who played a deep block resembling a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and we all know what happened.

Now lets be honest, Sweden are a more quality version of Iceland (no offence to them), but they'll play a very similar way and we'll be tested in a similar scenario.

We really need to show how good we are in an attacking sense because so far I'm not convinced we are capable of creating much from open-play. I doubt Sweden will give us much from set pieces either so that avenue may be one less way of scoring a goal as well.

If they get the first goal, it could be dejavu like in the Euros 2 years ago, if we get the first goal, then it turns it into a different but more favourablle game for England as they have to come out.

The first goal is really important in this game for me.

Just think how bad that Belgian midfield is going to get exposed tomorrow if Martinez plays Witsel and De Bruyne in deeper role like normal.... I hope for their sake he doesn't. Brazil will be all over them if that is the midfield he goes with.

Back