Scholes extends Man Utd contract

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 3K
Well scholes can keep up, Gibson is there, he is probaly learning off scholes all the time.

yer i like gibson he reminds me of a young frank lampard type player a kind of player fergie has always wanted. he needs to learn abit more defensive responsibility but yer hes a great young prospect.

I must admit i'm quite shocked to realise that cjacko is 21 given some of the comments i've read. The pundits on Sky even argued that Scholesy is a better player than Cantona was

I must admit i'm quite shocked to realise that cjacko is 21 given some of the comments i've read. The pundits on Sky even argued that Scholesy is a better player than Cantona was

i have my own opionions whats wrong with that???

i have my own opionions whats wrong with that???

to me the fact you stopped after my last comment on scholes, when i said about lampard being in his pocket, prved to me, you knew that you where saying was wrong. So it wasnt your opinion you where trying to get a response

It would have been more classic if he score one of his famous screamers, but this header is more than enough for me (H)

I think the fact that Scholes played the whole 90 minutes today and got into the box in the dying seconds to score a massive goal, has probably proved my first thought wrong a bit that he isn't good enough anymore, and it shows he still has the stamina and fitness, that's for sure.

He's a squad player now though - would he be able to play another match in three or four days as opposed to a full match every couple of months? That's the point which I guess is being made; there's very few teams who could afford to have someone on his wages playing that kind of squad role.

He's a squad player now though - would he be able to play another match in three or four days as opposed to a full match every couple of months? That's the point which I guess is being made; there's very few teams who could afford to have someone on his wages playing that kind of squad role.

Liverpool definitely can afford. They spent a fortune bringing Aquilani in while only letting him playing a handful of matches, and according to the amount of games he is getting this year he is definitely a squad player.

To be honest if United fans want him, and SAF still wants him then who cares? It seems a lot of people seem to worry way to much about other clubs players.. Maybe just looking for an argument?... Hm.

Liverpool definitely can afford. They spent a fortune bringing Aquilani in while only letting him playing a handful of matches, and according to the amount of games he is getting this year he is definitely a squad player.

What has this got to do with Liverpool? And even if you were to compare the two, Aquilani is only 25 where as Scholes is 10 years his senior XD The guy was just saying, when you are paying a player like Scholes £70,000 a week or whatever it will be, they obviously aren't too bothered about 'wasting' their funds.

Think of Aquilani more as being like Hargreaves rather than being an aging pro who is in the twilight of his career. Not sure 5 million counts as a fortune in today's game (especially not when that money was actually taken from a previous transfer meaning he cost effectively nothing for the first season and will then be paid for on low bi-annual fees over the next few seasons).

Really not knocking Scholes. He does a job for you lot even now and he was once a very fine player whose speed of thought was matched by speed of movement.

He is saying that scholes is getting paid big time and and sumone sed there are very few teams that can afford his wages hiz just having a snipe at liverpool coz they bout aquilani and dont treat him as a first team player. Hiz just being stupid tryna start an argument bout liverpool and utd when liverpool have nothing to do wiv scholes and the thread.

Scholes played well, but City made it easy for him. Great goal though and nice to see him still getting into the box in the dying minutes.

Enjoyed seeing the Neviller put that clown Bellamy on his **** several times. He looked a little rusty when he came back from injury but he's playing well now and I think we'll get another year out of him.

He isnt being asked to play 90minutes every 3 or 4 days.he is being asked to be part of a squad, which he is no doubt good enough to do. He is a top playerfor maybe 25 games out of 45 a season. so why notkeep him on. And does anyone actually know what the wages he is on. i thought they wherent disclosed. for all we know he could be on only 30k a week. which plenty of teams, would pay a squad player.

He isnt being asked to play 90minutes every 3 or 4 days.he is being asked to be part of a squad, which he is no doubt good enough to do. He is a top playerfor maybe 25 games out of 45 a season. so why notkeep him on. And does anyone actually know what the wages he is on. i thought they wherent disclosed. for all we know he could be on only 30k a week. which plenty of teams, would pay a squad player.

If you look at minutes played this season, it actually works out to 23 full games so far in all competitions. (2101 minutes). Manchester United have played 51 competitive matches already this season. It's a fair point you make Scott, although it does mean you need at least another player of quality to play the other half of the season, and then cover for injuries. Few teams have the resources for two or three high earning players to compete for that one place.

Fair point about his contract - he might have taken a 70% pay cut for an extra year, but by that logic he could have had a 70% pay rise too :p As it is, he's on around 100k+ a week as he has been for a while now.

Last edited:
If you look at minutes played this season, it actually works out to 23 full games so far in all competitions. (2101 minutes). Manchester United have played 51 competitive matches already this season. It's a fair point you make Scott, although it does mean you need at least another player of quality to play the other half of the season, and then cover for injuries. Few teams have the resources for two or three high earning players to compete for that one place.

Fair point about his contract - he might have taken a 70% pay cut for an extra year, but by that logic he could have had a 70% pay rise too :p As it is, he's on around 100k+ a week as he has been for a while now.

Nah mate, Utds pay structure means the highest earners are rooney(110k) rio(105k) and Berba(around 90k) One of scholes previos deals(2002) was said to be around 60k a week. that was his Prime. so i would imagine he would be on something similar now. Look at it this way, fletcher is on 50k a week, whilst Carrick 60k so i would imagine he would be inbetween there

Nah mate, Utds pay structure means the highest earners are rooney(110k) rio(105k) and Berba(around 90k) One of scholes previos deals(2002) was said to be around 60k a week. that was his Prime. so i would imagine he would be on something similar now. Look at it this way, fletcher is on 50k a week, whilst Carrick 60k so i would imagine he would be inbetween there

That doesn't stack up though with your overall wage bill. You had your wage bill reduced by the cost of six players wages (including C.Ronaldo's) over the summer, but total wage bill still increased to £123 million per season from £121 million the season before. (That implies a 10% increase to everyone's wages at the club every season).

That doesn't stack up though with your overall wage bill. You had your wage bill reduced by the cost of six players wages (including C.Ronaldo's) over the summer, but total wage bill still increased to £123 million per season from £121 million the season before.

We do employ 1000s of people. That wage bill would of included the Glazers Heft salarys. The players bonuses for winning thea league and Carling cup. We also lost Ronaldo. But we gained Valencia, Owen and Obertan.. I also think our playing Squad increased by about 10players, which would of been youth team players getting full contracts, We also gave Nani, Rafael, Park, Evans all pay rises, within the past 12months.

We do employ 1000s of people. That wage bill would of included the Glazers Heft salarys. The players bonuses for winning thea league and Carling cup. We also lost Ronaldo. But we gained Valencia, Owen and Obertan.. I also think our playing Squad increased by about 10players, which would of been youth team players getting full contracts, We also gave Nani, Rafael, Park, Evans all pay rises, within the past 12months.

It doesn't actually include money taken out by the Glazers in consultancy fees or loans. It does however cover the 476 non-playing staff at the club. Owen is on a pay as you play deal, and overall the playing staff was actually reduced by six professionals. The figure cited is without bonuses too - those are covered seperately. So either Mavis the tea lady is the best paid tea lady in the world or Scholes (and other senior pros) are on a lot more than the 60k a week they were on nearly a decade ago ;)

edit: the figures are those used for the prospectus for the bond issue btw, so it won't cover any pay rises or new deals or signings since then.

edit2: just by way of comparison, the actual playing staff at Liverpool hasn't greatly increased since Benitez first season, yet our wage bill has gone up by £25 million in 3 years (75 million to around 100 million). Pretty much the same for every club in the Premier League which is trying to challenge for European places, and even for some desperate to stay up like West Ham.

Last edited:
Back