Scholes extends Man Utd contract

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 3K
What has this got to with Scholes' new contract.. :S

What has this got to with Scholes' new contract.. :S

Sorry, it's not really a derail but I find it interesting to compare the real figures reported by clubs about their wage bills and the assumptions which we have as fans about how much players are earning with their new contracts.

I'll shaddup now :D

I was personally finding that debate entertaining :$

well sorry for the dealy( ****** Fifa)

Okay i been working a few things out

The average worker will be at OT whether it is a groundsman, dinner lady, Cleaner ect ect, will be on approx 25k a year. So that is approx 500quid a week. I would imagine the Club would employ a good 100 in all. taking about 250k off the wage bill.

The Average Receptionist, Tour Guide, Security Guard inside the Staduim itself, would be on ranging between 30-35k a year. So about 650quid a week. I would imagin in all there would be maybe 40 of these. taking 130k off the wage bill a year.

Now Stewards. They would be on maybe 150quid a game, doing 2 games a week in an avergae week. So as utd play about 30 home games a year. There would be about 50-60 stewards i would imagine on a typical match day( maybe More) taking another 250k off the wage bill. There would also be Reserve team fixtures which would take about another 100k maybe.

There is offcourse the Refreshments team and restraunt team. Jack could shed some light on how much they earn approx. i would say in all that probaly cost the club 3million a year in wages.

Now the Over paid club officials. David Gill is hansomley Piad, no-one is quite sure, But i would be shocked if he wasnt on atleast 100k a week, Leading to about 5million a year. The club Secretary who is on about 40k a week( apparently she has been offered 70k in his new Job) taking another 2million out a year.

The assisatnat Secretary must be on about 25k a week. Hence about 1.2million a year.

The other directors, Bobby Charlton, Michael Edelson, and Maurice Watkins Must be on a fair but aswell. Probaly totaling 5million a year between them.

Now the management team, is costing alot between them in wages. It was said Big sams cost newcastle 28million a year. So when you have about 30 people employed in several key roles. Ranging from Fergie-a scout. It probaly cost about 30million

I have only covered about half the actual non-playing employees. so the other half maybe take up 10million in a year which is about 40k a year for each of them.

So buy my head that leaves 71million for the playing squad. i would say there was a playing squad at Utd of about 40 players, with all the reserves, first team players.

So that works out at

71million Divide by 40 Equaling 1.775millin a year for the average player

A week then equaling about 34k.

So i have proably over estimated some peoples wages, but i have under estimated some poeples aswell.

Some pllayers wont be on 34k a week, they be on less, but some will be on more. so in all i think the averge player will be on 40-70k

If i changed the figure to only include 25players dividing by 71million it works out to be an average of 55k a week.

Not sure if you live in the Manchester area, but I'll give you some guide salaries for permanent staff:

retail staff: 12k a year
security: 12k a year (and probably less as they recruit agency staff on minimum wage)
matchday staff: minimum wage agency staff (ie paid £6 an hour for 4 or 5 hours every matchday)

Your figures for the execs are well out of kilter. Gill as CEO gets a total paypacket of 1.8 million a year (that's 34k a week). Average salary for a non-exec director is 35k - a year (there's perks and expenses but they aren't included in the total salary figures).

If you take realistic figures, you're left with an average player salary of around 50k a week but that includes every single professional at Manchester United with the vast majority obviously way below that.

£25k for a cleaner? £35k for a security guard? XD

£25k for a cleaner? LOL! XD

That was cleaner, groudsman ect ect all in one bracket, cleaners on slighly less and Groudsman on slightly more.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Not sure if you live in the Manchester area, but I'll give you some guide salaries for permanent staff:

retail staff: 12k a year
security: 12k a year (and probably less as they recruit agency staff on minimum wage)
matchday staff: minimum wage agency staff (ie paid £6 an hour for 4 or 5 hours every matchday)

Your figures for the execs are well out of kilter. Gill as CEO gets a total paypacket of 1.8 million a year (that's 34k a week). Average salary for a non-exec director is 35k - a year (there's perks and expenses but they aren't included in the total salary figures).

If you take realistic figures, you're left with an average player salary of around 50k a week but that includes every single professional at Manchester United with the vast majority obviously way below that.

Peter Storris was on 2million a year and 4th highest paid, Behing Mr Gill, Mr Cook and who ever is chelsea now a days.

Peter Storris was on 2million a year and 4th highest paid, Behing Mr Gill, Mr Cook and who ever is chelsea now a days.

Gill's 2009 salary was 1.8 million. This includes pension contributions made by the club. There may be further bonuses etc which would take it higher, but those are not included in the 123 million total.

Where are you two getting your figures from?

I'm using the latest publicly announced figures from the prospectus for the Manchester United bond release in January 2010. These are more up-to-date than the last full accounts released.

For general salaries of non-playing staff, I know a few people who work for the club and what wages they are paid. So I know eg that matchday staff are minimum wage people brought in from agencies, mix of foreign students at the universities and locals etc. You also see the jobs advertised in the MEN from time to time. (I actually live in central Manchester).

Zeb, I'm impressed with you footballing knowledge as a whole. So wise. :wub:

About Scholes, I think he has shown he is capable of playing for United, even if he only starts every so often, he is a great player to have in the squad, and of course he can guide our youngsters. He is a real role model, none of this fancy life style, just concentrates on playing football.

i am using the Finicial times Football reports figure for 2009. it came out in a special edition inside the FT weekender in november. Maybe not as reliable as Zebs, Put the Bonds where designed to sell the club to people. maybe the truth was maybe Curved ever so slightly. But fair play to zeb his knowledge on finicial side of the game out wieghts by general reading of the FT ever couple of weeks.

But i still feel that scholes is not on 100k a week. and that will never change in my head until i see the contract it self.

But i still feel that scholes is not on 100k a week. and that will never change in my head until i see the contract it self.

That's fair enough as the actual details of contracts are rarely made public (unless you play for West Ham and the owners want to turn the fans against you...). Thinking about it, I'm talking about what the club is paying the players before tax and if you adjust for things like tax, then £100k a week becomes very close to £60k a week.

Back