• Replies Replies 133
  • Views Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
[video=youtube;UVhhu5OjMf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVhhu5OjMf8[/video]

This is one day that will be etched in everyone's memory of everybody for the forseeable future. I remember it vividly. I was getting ready for work in the office, listening to Talksport and a discussion about Liverpool FC, then the first reports of the attacks starting filtering through, then rapidly changed from an accident to a terrorist attack. Switched it to Sky News, and it was like watching a film, because it just seemed too incredible to believe terrorists were attacking the US mainland. Safe to say, from that moment I had no intention of going to work. I was absolutely transfixed by what was happening-albiet in a horribly morbid way. But there's one image I'll never forget, and that was look of President Bush when his aide told him what was happening. My initial reactions fluctuated from disbelief, shock, horror, anger...and was a continuous loop. On the streets in the town it was much the same with a lot of people. Every pub, cafe, electrical shop had the live pictures and people were literally crowding to watch.

But there's also one thing I remember vividly aswell. The incredible bravery of the New York emergency services. The total disregard for their own lives to save other lives, was just absolutely incredible-albiet with tragic consequences for themselves. I can say safely without doubt, that I would never be able to do what they did that day-I would've been absolutely terrified beyond belief. But even more incredible, was the immense bravery of those passengers on Flight 93 who overcame the hi-jackers and brought the plane down and sacrificed their own lives. And of course, the fear spread like wildfire throught the country, with airports closing down, people heading home. It was a masterstroke by Al Qeada (sp) and Bin Laden-staging the attacks during rush hour in New York and the Pentagon, so that other countries would be able to witness everything and be terrified.

But as usual, there was dirty fallout from this. All of a sudden, whilst in the US there was untold amounts of grief, in other countries, including this one, there were people blaming the US for all this-or even saying the US planned it all themselves, or saying Flight 93 never happened. Foreign policy being the main weapon of blame on the US. Ok, maybe some policies were ill-thought out, but how does that justify the slaughter (that's what it is-mindless slaughter) of thousands of innocent people, who were from all over the world, working to provide for their own families, minding their own business. Simply answered - there is no justification. There is no reason behind mindless, violent slaughter. So that is a null argument-absolutely pointless.

What I don't understand is the unbridled hatred of some people for the US that poured out during the aftermath of 9/11. And I never will. To me, the people who insulted the US after the attack (because that's what they did-insulted the US and the memories of the people who died) came across as people who supported terrorism. And some admitted they supported the attacks-saying it was a wake up call for the US. Sadly, those people are still alive, spreading their hatred.

And the bravery of the soldiers from all countries involved in Arghanistan should be commended. They get vile abuse from, quite frankly, idiotic dicks, when they are doing what they are ordered to do-preserving our way of life, and eradicating highly dangerous people. These men and women should be getting the highest form of praise from everyone. But as we've witnessed, most of the time, they don't. They joined the armed forces for a reason. To defend us and make us proud of them, and proud of themselves. How are they supposed to do that with sickening amounts of hatred aimed at them?

I had praise for the politicians who reacted as quickly as they could, saying they would destroy the terrorists, that there was now a war on terrorism. But they were wrong on one thing. They said that they would never let terrorists change our way of life. But they have. A lot more than they realise.

So I'm wondering what other people were doing/what their reaction was on the day of the attacks, and what they think of the aftermath of the attack. Were we right to go into Afghanistan? Could we have done more to prevent this from happening? Is the US responsible for what happened? I have no doubt in my mind, as do a lot of sane people, that the US was in no way responsible for 9/11. None whatsoever. It was mass murder on an unparralled scale.

And if you have conspiracy theories-don't bother. I made a thread for that sort of thing already. As it is nothing more than a theory-not one fact whatsoever. So feel free to post it there instead please.

I remember getting on to the bus at school and the bus driver telling me about it, and then getting home and watching it all unfold on TV. Was a really sad day. Hope nothing similar happens ever again.

Also, I always remember the fact that Seth MacFarlane was meant to be on one of those flights, but missed it by one minute.

I remember all our classes suddenly being cancelled, and every teacher turning on the TV in the classrooms.

9/11 was the worst of them, but we have seen all too many around the world. There is no justification under any cause or religion

Wow. Didn't know that about Seth McFarlane. Just read about it. Incredible.

Definately no justification whatsoever. Religion is just a transparent exuse for what they do.

Was in class. My teacher got a call from his daughter so he turned on the TV. Was in 8th grade at the time.

A couple hours later the school made us turn off the TVs and get back to school work.......fuggin bullchit! We are the only school I heard about that was forced NOT to watch this epically historical moment live...******* morons.

Still remember the news reporters on the ground recording the screams through the smoke and dust and running for their lives...

Remember coming home from school and thinking it was odd only the news on at 3, then saw the towers on fire, then drop..

*waits for the conspiracy theorists*

Was in class. My teacher got a call from his daughter so he turned on the TV. Was in 8th grade at the time.

A couple hours later the school made us turn off the TVs and get back to school work.......fuggin bullchit! We are the only school I heard about that was forced NOT to watch this epically historical moment live...******* morons.

Still remember the news reporters on the ground recording the screams through the smoke and dust and running for their lives...

Maybe they didn't want the kids scared perhaps-don't know. One of the most harrowing bits was the last ever phone call of someone who was trapped in Tower One (if I remember correctly) which was broadcast on air (recording). Was speaking to emergency services. He just screamed then the line went dead as the building collapsed with him in it. Horrible to listen to.

Last edited:
Remember this as though it were yesterday.
We were in class and everyone got called into the main hall, where they put the news on a projector and put it on the wall. It was absolutely horrible. We got sent home early I think, looking back, I don't really know why, but we did.

It annoys me when people don't respect what a big thing this was, or when we don't have a minutes silence or something little like that. To me, it shows we care, that those who lost their lives for no good reason that day, are gone but never forgotten. & most of all, it shows that terrorism has done the exact opposite of what the extremists want it to do, it shows we're all united in this war.

Also, there was a slight chance my Aunty could've been on one of these planes as she did a lot of work in America at the time, luckily she wasn't, but I remember getting home and ringing my Dad just to ask if he knew if she was alright.

No, the school board came out and said that it was a distraction to our school work...like coloring maps and multiplying single digit numbers.

No, the school board came out and said that it was a distraction to our school work...like coloring maps and multiplying single digit numbers.

Wow. That is a bit dumb. This was an attack on the US mainland, and thats more important? Jees

Remember coming home and watching it. I'd seen them in real life only the year before.

Remember this as though it were yesterday.
We were in class and everyone got called into the main hall, where they put the news on a projector and put it on the wall. It was absolutely horrible. We got sent home early I think, looking back, I don't really know why, but we did.

It annoys me when people don't respect what a big thing this was, or when we don't have a minutes silence or something little like that. To me, it shows we care, that those who lost their lives for no good reason that day, are gone but never forgotten. & most of all, it shows that terrorism has done the exact opposite of what the extremists want it to do, it shows we're all united in this war.

Also, there was a slight chance my Aunty could've been on one of these planes as she did a lot of work in America at the time, luckily she wasn't, but I remember getting home and ringing my Dad just to ask if he knew if she was alright.

I think there was a tribute of some sorts (though can't remember when), when I was on a bus not long after it happened, and they all pulled over at the exact moment the attacks happened. Every single road was motionless. Was so eerie. People stopping in streets. Remarkable. Now you get people making jokes out of it. Makes me sick. Have to admit though I do my own little tribute each year since it happened, and there are services this sunday too, being broadcast too.

Also wierd to think it was 10 years ago. I was 8, yet I remember it so clearly.

Also wierd to think it was 10 years ago. I was 8, yet I remember it so clearly.

Ditto that.

A friend of mine's dad was in New York at the time it happened. They say 9/11 was felt around the world, but it hit New Yorkers first, worst, and foremost. People were either silent or crying. The whole city was just so so quiet, he says.

Thing is, it's impossible (i found anyway) to watch the footage, without either feeling distinctly uncomfortable, or just welling up. My case both, especially when the cameras panned in on that poor guy who threw himself out the window, or the people waving towels or whatever they were out the windows desperately trying to get help.

Everytime I see footage of it, it sends a chill down my spine.

Yet, I still watch it, because i find it interesting, and for some reason, it makes me feel as if i'm paying respect.

Something I'll never forget. Ever.

I cant watch it. even now when there various adverts for shows based round it, i have to flick over.

I was 8 years old and my mom sent my brother to pick me up from school rather than get me herself because she couldn't tear herself away from the tv. When I got home, as tower 1 fell I was confused, I had no idea what was going on and then I was terrified, I honestly thought we were going to see another World War and being 8 years old and having heard my nan's war stories of when she was 9 running to Aston Railway Station bomb shelter because the ****'s bombed her road almost daily seriously frightened me.

It's impossible to put into words just how terrible these attacks were but I do honestly believe they've bought the world a lot of good things. For one it bought the world together, no one wanted to see that again, except the extremists, we were really united through it though. It also bought along huge tightening in air security so people are much more protected nowadays.

ChippyLowe;1312747I was terrified said:
A lot of people I know have said this. Was I the only 8 year old who understood the situation? :P

On the other hand, of course, whilst I understood the situation I didn't, couldn't, understand exactly what was happening and that people were dying. Heck, when you're 8 you can't even fathom dying, so to try and understand it on this kind of level was beyond the comprehension of most of us at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back