September 11th 2001 - 10 years on

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 133
  • Views Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people I know have said this. Was I the only 8 year old who understood the situation? :P

On the other hand, of course, whilst I understood the situation I didn't, couldn't, understand exactly what was happening and that people were dying. Heck, when you're 8 you can't even fathom dying, so to try and understand it on this kind of level was beyond the comprehension of most of us at that time.

Seems we were all 8, Ajt must be feeling like a dinosaur reading this thread. :P

Last edited:
A lot of people I know have said this. Was I the only 8 year old who understood the situation? :P

On the other hand, of course, whilst I understood the situation I didn't, couldn't, understand exactly what was happening and that people were dying. Heck, when you're 8 you can't even fathom dying, so to try and understand it on this kind of level was beyond the comprehension of most of us at that time.

It seems so Godcubed :P

I got what was happening but on a very basic level. I understood and that America was being attacked. What I mean more than anything is that I didn't understand why anyone would have ordered or carried out the attacks, now I understand a lot more because I've looked up things like the original Gulf War, USA's links with Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda. I didn't even think about the people that I could see on my tv dying at the time, the thousands being crushed in the towers as they collapsed, the people jumping out of windows hundreds of feet above the ground, with no hope of surviving. It was like I was watching a movie.

It was a sad day and will be in the minds of everyone who was old enough to understand the impact and the toll it took on civilization! I was 16 at the time, my mate and I stayed at home on that day (can't remember why) but we did! my step dad used to come home for lunch on some days, he was in the bedroom upstairs and all we heard was "holy ****, ****" or something along those lines, he shouted for us to come and watch and we sat there for like 3 hours glued, shocked and bewildered! was a scary day!

God bless everyone who lost their lives and loved ones 10 years ago!

I weren't even 4 when this happened, So I didn't know about this. But it is terrible.

Seems we were all 8, Ajt must be feeling like a dinosaur reading this thread. :P

I feel Jurassic anyway lol.

But it seems incredible it's 10 years already.

It really was felt all over the world. My father eventually lost his job (builds planes) & had to move to Poole to find work. Every third weekend I got a plane to Bournemouth and then a train to Poole just to see my dad for a day!

I was in biology in high school when it happened; remember one of the teachers coming in and dragging ours out, which wasn’t UN common, we just made the most of it. He eventually came back in and told us what happened. We ended up getting sent home, I walked in the house and my parents were glued to the TV, it didn’t really hit me until that moment.

Watching the documentaries every year, I still can’t imagine how horrible it must have been.

I remember exactly what happened with me that day.

Had just finished school and was in the playground ready to play football at the play centre like I did every day. My nan picked me up and told me to go and get all my stuff now and to hurry up. I got all stroppy about it because I wanted to play football, then she took me to her house and I just remember everyone crowded around the TV watching it and me thinking what the **** is going on, I just want to play football! (I was in Year 4 at the time).

She later explained what had happened and that there was a threat to the UK, so I let her off, but it will always stay in my head that my mum had one of the flights booked but changed it the night before "because she had a bad feeling".

R.I.P to everyone who lost their life that day and afterwards because of this tragedy.

I was celebrating my birthday on this fateful day! I remember being in school and the teacher was like 20 minutes late but they didn't even tell us what had happened, I only found out at 4 o'clock when I got home, buzzing because I had loads of presents to open, but walked in to a sea of dull faces, my mum was even crying, watching the footage. I felt sick when I saw what had happened. I'll certainly always be reminded of that day for as long as I live.

RIP to all the families, I still curl up with a sick feeling when I see what happened. I was 13 at the time and fully understood what was going on. God, it doesn't seem like 10 years, seems like yesterday!

I expect the whole globe to be on high alert on Sunday, hopefully, nothing happens!

I was in year 6 at the time and I remember coming out of school and everyone talking about it but I didn't really know what was happening untill I got home and saw the footage on TV. It doesn't seem 10 years since that day.

I was 13 years old that day, in Year 9. I remember I was in English when it happened my first English lesson with this teacher, the Head of Year, came in and told us what had happened. It was all the school talked about until we got home. It is one of those things that I will never forget a single detail, it really feels like it was just yesterday, the images are so fresh in my mind.

Religion is used to justify your actions, but because there is no such thing as a God, 9/11 was completely unmotivated.

I am one of the many people who were 8 at the time... i remember my dad picking me up from school, and when i got in, my mum was just standing in front of the TV watching sky news, and then the second plane hit, and i sat there for ages, fascinated by what was happening. I think my mum was the most shocked though, as soon as the second plane hit, i remember her just saying 'oh my god' about 20 times... i'm sure a lot of people were like this as well, speechless with shock. I've always had an interest in documentaries about nature, history etc. and the documentaries about 9/11 have to my favourite documentaries to watch.. not in an entertaining way, but mainly because you learn something new every time you watch them, and there's always different video clips... United 93 as well, that has to be one of my favourite films, i just find 9/11 a very interesting subject.

I am one of the many people who were 8 at the time... i remember my dad picking me up from school, and when i got in, my mum was just standing in front of the TV watching sky news, and then the second plane hit, and i sat there for ages, fascinated by what was happening. I think my mum was the most shocked though, as soon as the second plane hit, i remember her just saying 'oh my god' about 20 times... i'm sure a lot of people were like this as well, speechless with shock. I've always had an interest in documentaries about nature, history etc. and the documentaries about 9/11 have to my favourite documentaries to watch.. not in an entertaining way, but mainly because you learn something new every time you watch them, and there's always different video clips... United 93 as well, that has to be one of my favourite films, i just find 9/11 a very interesting subject.

It's the single biggest attack on human civilisation in the history of the world, to me, bigger than Pearl Harbour. This will never, ever be forgotten. In thousands of years to come, this will be in every History lesson.

It's the single biggest attack on human civilisation in the history of the world, to me, bigger than Pearl Harbour. This will never, ever be forgotten. In thousands of years to come, this will be in every History lesson.

Should be taught in history. But it's not taught at me kids school. Which is frankly shocking.

it is history, but it is too recent history to be taught yet! I say give it another 10 years when the next generation of kids are at school :)

it is history, but it is too recent history to be taught yet! I say give it another 10 years when the next generation of kids are at school :)

Think it'll be selective teaching for some schools. I know of some around here that don't teach pupils WWII history for "ethical reasons", or for fear of upsetting pupils or their parents if they're from other countries. Which is just laughable.

Well hang on just a second. This isn't stuff you should be teaching to ten year olds: how on Earth can you possibly explain all the socio-political causes and effects of the 9/11 tragedy to someone who's below the age of about fifteen?

Maybe in secondary school, but frankly my experiences with historical education as a recently finished pupil of secondary level education was patchy at best. I can honestly say I learnt about five times as much outside of school about history than I did inside it. They don't teach you about too much that's actually relevant or useful. They tend to focus on specific historical hotspots, and I think the 9/11 bombings, whilst significant, are too vague and time-consuming towards the curriculum to justify including.

Quite apart from that, what real purpose would it serve? I'd rather kids get a working knowledge of British and world history, one that covers more than just historical points of interest, rather than wasting time going through all the reasons why 9/11 happened.

Well hang on just a second. This isn't stuff you should be teaching to ten year olds: how on Earth can you possibly explain all the socio-political causes and effects of the 9/11 tragedy to someone who's below the age of about fifteen?

Maybe in secondary school, but frankly my experiences with historical education as a recently finished pupil of secondary level education was patchy at best. I can honestly say I learnt about five times as much outside of school about history than I did inside it. They don't teach you about too much that's actually relevant or useful. They tend to focus on specific historical hotspots, and I think the 9/11 bombings, whilst significant, are too vague and time-consuming towards the curriculum to justify including.

Quite apart from that, what real purpose would it serve? I'd rather kids get a working knowledge of British and world history, one that covers more than just historical points of interest, rather than wasting time going through all the reasons why 9/11 happened.

Should be saved for RE, I'd like to see teachers try and explain to kids that God does love everyone when thousands died in his name.

Should be saved for RE, I'd like to see teachers try and explain to kids that God does love everyone when thousands died in his name.

To be fair to my teachers, they never forced religious beliefs on anyone. If they wanted to, of course, it'd be the old handwave of 'Don't question his motives' etc.

I failed my R.E. exam.. We just set fire to table legs with aerosol cans XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back