Short tactical guide for those who wish to create their own tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont often come to this forum anymore because of threads like this.........

I just logged in to say "lol"

great post and ty

question : choose fluididy based on your players mental attributes or the same compared to your opponents?

for example lets say i have a team with mental attributes average of 13. In my league i am favorite as most teams have lower average. But what happens in Champions League for example were i face opponents with mental average of 17? I still play fluis based on my 13 or change to very str / str to balance the difference?

Mentality and fluidity are connected. You can either try to adapt to your opponent, which is IMHO the wrong way, or you can do what you do best, so what happens, happens. If you are bound to lose from a stronger opposition, no ammount of tinkering will help.

Last edited:
OP has been updated, I added a tactic and tested it.

View attachment 96240

For two seasons we were knocked out in playoffs, and Third season we finally got promoted. Paul Smalley managed all my matches, I was on holliday for almost the entire time, as you can see on the screenie.

This is the squad I did it with and the tactic:

View attachment 96239

I started as a nobody, foreign, no language knowledge, no coaching quals and as sunday league player. I also started the game unemployed, and got the job through interview.

View attachment 96238

This is just in case someone accuses me of trolling again.

Last edited:
What about Advance Forw with DLF? Is it effective?

And also, i wanna ask. Which one you prefer, create a tactic based on the player capability or just based on your philosophy?

Only one of them will shine.

Player capability. I design the concept to fit most of the players I've already got.

Last edited:
But what if it didn't go well? What could possibly wrong?

Game tends to favorize attacking teams in the first season. After you have trashed everyone, they will be more cautious against you. If you attack a defending team, you will lose. So it is important to get good players and play more cautiously yourself as the seasons continue.

Game tends to favorize attacking teams in the first season. After you have trashed everyone, they will be more cautious against you. If you attack a defending team, you will lose. So it is important to get good players and play more cautiously yourself as the seasons continue.

Cautiously like? Play defend too? Or Counter? Even when we are flyin?

Btw, thanks for this. Quite help me.

That statement may not be quite true. I learn something new every day, and today I have also learned something and updtated the OP

although this isn't perfect as people point out, it's nice he is trying to help newer players and helps me someone who finds it hard to make my own tactic's it gives me at least a starting point.

although this isn't perfect as people point out, it's nice he is trying to help newer players and helps me someone who finds it hard to make my own tactic's it gives me at least a starting point.

Well, some people do YouTube reviews of pc hardware...some people give them that hardware and pay them for a good review...some people think that that hardware is actually good and convince others to buy it. Me, I don't do reviews. I work, get Money from work, look at factory specs and then buy. I've changed a tonne of pc hardware so far, and I usually get banned from hardware forums for saying my opinion about it. Both mods and the people grow to dislike me, and prefer lies instead. Then I got onto football tactics and this is the result of my own Research and over 10000 hours of tactic testing. Who will you beleive is up to you, but it is already showing signs of same thing happening as with pc hardware.

Respectfully this is none how this links, even after multiple updates (all of which looking drastically different). It seem this is desperately looking for some strict formula without any holistic thought into it, plus believing to think what options may do, when they actually do something different. Why link which mentality you pick to the number of wide players in a formation? If you'd follow this you'd have the entire spectrum of things that can harm performance: All forwards being advanced disconnected from the midfield and no proper link-up, completely static lines, lack of wide movement.

Linking team instructions to it all like that is also dangerous, as they influence a team's style and depend wholly on what kind of football you want to play, or on the players you have. Encourage a much higher line with slow defenders, and you're beat for easy balls over the top against pacey opposition forwards. That's football thinking. That's the link. Encouraging everybody to push up because you previously went fluid because you employed a certain formation may look like magic formula you can note down which can be easily followed, but simple football it isn't much.

The makers don't document this particularly well, but this is literally the site you can fully trust on this. Don't try so hard to look for some abstract magic formula. Don't interpret stuff into this that isn't there, it may be simpler too.
Bit old but these are the kind of questions, roughly.
Guys like Rashidi, wwfan were directly involved in the conception of some of those options, and many more are involved in testing. Nothing personal, but you would still go terribly terribly wrong on all accounts with this. ]https://community.sigames.com/topic/373937-tactic-building-and-training-guides-start-here/

Last edited:
You seem to be similar to wj in some perspective. WJ said on one occasion that he respects cleon from their forum, so I went there and looked at his school of defensive arts threads. I had a good laugh and left. What both you and wj fail to understand is that there is good football and bad football, and both is equally played, depending on the quality of players at your disposal. If, for example, you have a striker dropping deep, amc pushing up, one winger cutting in and one pulling wide, both you and wj would probably agree thats the way to go. What you fail to understand is that that is just one way of football and that that should be played under specific conditions. You cant expect a regional south striket to drop deep and pull defenders, especially not if he is a poacher. There is a system to things, and some tactics are better then others. And they have to be, because you are playing at different levels of football. I Know the sliders are moved only slightly, but it makes a huge difference. A vanarama team will always lose from an EPL side even though both have only human players. the same way a very fluid differentiates from fluid is just like the difference between EPL and ECL players. Some may not even notice the difference, like wj here. But the difference is huge and means the difference from victory to a loss or draw. When you play defensive football for example, you play narrow naturally, so you need to use roaming roles to find space. If you play attack it is simple logic to use just the opposite role. If my striker is injured i sub him with a striker, preferably the same role, and if i get a red card, i take out a player that will not hurt my system. You seem to be going around and telling people only one way is correct. I agree it is better, and I support it, but it has nothing to do with whole footballing system and how it is all done in one league or the other. If you were correct, then there would be no difference in football anywhere in the world, everyone would play the same, with minor changes to roles and duties.

It's all very well pointing out that there's different conditions and teams. That skilled isolated forwards can do wonders even without much support, that defenders can struggle to mark players by simply being not good defenders, or that there's a whole lot of bad football and footballers out there. Why isn't that applied in that guide though. That guide doesn't even acknowledge different teams. WOuld you expect a less technical team to be able to retain possession as much as a more gifted one? Why does none of this guide take into account the defenders you have likewise, and simply says if you go very fluid, you should encourage a d-line to push much higher up?

This all explains the difference you experience online and offline. If this is indicative of how you use the tactical tools, you're at the mercy of randomness by definition. This is cognitive dissonance, and you connect any such huge swings to either being on or offline. Going down that route won't do much very good. I'd forget about fluidity for a start. Pick a formation, think about which players you want to score, which ones to assist, which ones to sit deep, defend and cover from the quick break, which you would need anyway, and start from there. According to the opening post, if you pick a standard/control mentality, you have all midfielders on attack (all encouraged to run forward). Outside of schoolkids, who plays that way? It's clear that at the very least there is a severe misunderstanding of what those options do.

This guide will produce randomness.

Last edited:
You seem to be similar to wj in some perspective. WJ said on one occasion that he respects cleon from their forum, so I went there and looked at his school of defensive arts threads. I had a good laugh and left. What both you and wj fail to understand is that there is good football and bad football, and both is equally played, depending on the quality of players at your disposal. If, for example, you have a striker dropping deep, amc pushing up, one winger cutting in and one pulling wide, both you and wj would probably agree thats the way to go. What you fail to understand is that that is just one way of football and that that should be played under specific conditions. You cant expect a regional south striket to drop deep and pull defenders, especially not if he is a poacher. There is a system to things, and some tactics are better then others. And they have to be, because you are playing at different levels of football. I Know the sliders are moved only slightly, but it makes a huge difference. A vanarama team will always lose from an EPL side even though both have only human players. the same way a very fluid differentiates from fluid is just like the difference between EPL and ECL players. Some may not even notice the difference, like wj here. But the difference is huge and means the difference from victory to a loss or draw. When you play defensive football for example, you play narrow naturally, so you need to use roaming roles to find space. If you play attack it is simple logic to use just the opposite role. If my striker is injured i sub him with a striker, preferably the same role, and if i get a red card, i take out a player that will not hurt my system. You seem to be going around and telling people only one way is correct. I agree it is better, and I support it, but it has nothing to do with whole footballing system and how it is all done in one league or the other. If you were correct, then there would be no difference in football anywhere in the world, everyone would play the same, with minor changes to roles and duties.
Not sure why you're pulling me into this, but I've shown more than once that your guide, the way you think and set up according to the guide A) makes no footballing sense and B) doesn't work very well. I've shown how your understanding of shape is outdated. I've analysed tactics you posted, made according to this laughable guide, and properly explained where it fails. (Edit: See http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...n-gamble-plug-n-play-tactics.html#post3089593 for instance)

Igneos, leave me alone. Your guide makes no footballing sense. Your guide is a joke. It doesn't follow logic or footballing sense. You may find a lucky combination that works, but it won't work forever because the MEs change. Using footballing sense, you can make the same sort of tactics in any version of FM and it'll always "work".

Laughing at someone like Cleon, who understands FM and football far better than any of us, shows that you're an idiot.

Last edited:
Really? Both you and him are probably losing matches, just like everyone else. And instead of thanking your betters, you curse at them, which shows a complete lack of class. I would honestly expect you or him or who ever thinks of himself as some guru to show me his perfect career record. None of my guide has anything to do with targeting ME, everything is pure logic from someone who was never trained at football and looks at things from a, lets call it mathematical point of view. And no, i have no role model, I never had one, I test what I write, and if it Works, I share my knowledge. And I have a lot of testing behind me thanks to people like you and him pointing me at the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.