Sick of pele !

Reaction score
This is the article that has annoyed me.

Barcelona's Lionel Messi must score 1283 goals to be as good as me - Brazil legend Pele - Goal.com

He is once again proving his arrogance by questioning messi's ability to score more goals than himself.

Pele forgets that thier was no offside rule when he played !

I think he is so overated, he never played in europe and counted goals he scored in his garden. I bet if messi was sent back to 1430's brazil, when pele played, he would score 2000 goals.

Ps. to MOD's i know thier is a few threads on him but they all apear to be closed.

Last edited:
This is the article that has annoyed me.

Barcelona's Lionel Messi must score 1283 goals to be as good as me - Brazil legend Pele - Goal.com

He is once again proving his arrogance by questioning messi's ability to score more goals than himself.

Pele forgets that thier was no offside rule when he played !

I think he is so overated, he never played in europe and counted goals he scored in his garden. I bet if messi was sent back to 1430's brazil, when pele played, he would score 2000 goals.

1) There was an offside rule.
2) He counted goals he scored as a professional footballer. Competitive games and friendlies.
3) Didn't score in Europe, but played in 4 World Cups (won 3 of them), and played in a Brazilian league where the majority of the National team played at the time.
4) It was the 1960's, no the 1430's.
5) Messi isn't on Pele's goalscoring level.
6 and most importantly) It's goal.com

6 and most importantly) It's goal.com

The origin of the article is unimportant. It is still his words.

Yes pele did feature in multiple world cups. These were against the top players from europe. And look at his goalscoring record there. Hardly supernatural and as been surpassed by Ronaldo Gerd muller etc.

also during pele time 80 game season's were not uncommon. So for messi to score 53 goals in a top modern , if not the top, European league then IMO his goalscoring capabilities are superiour

Last edited:
I'm sure he didn't say that. It's goal.com. Sigh.

Yes pele did feature in multiple world cups. These were against the top players from europe. And look at his goalscoring record there. Hardly supernatural and as benn surpassed by Ronaldo Gerd muller etc.

Goal.com are truly rubbish. We don't know what context the words were said in. Maybe the first part was a joke for all we know.

All that goes to show is that Pele was an unselfish player who was far more rounded than just a goalscorer. We could compare Pele and Muller/Ronaldo's assists, could we not? Find the stats, and we can have a look at them. Incidentally, whose team won in 1970, where Gerd Muller ripped apart such threatening opposition as, um, Morocco, Bulgaria and Peru? Ah yes. Pele's Brazil.

I'm sure he didn't say that. It's goal.com. Sigh.

Pele: Lionel Messi must score as many as me - ESPN Soccernet
Messi Vs Pele - Pele aims sly dig at Messi

Pele: Je Messi najboljši? Najprej naj zabije 1283 golov, da bo boljši od mene | Dnevnik
Pele', Messi come me? Faccia 1283 reti.. - Calcio - ANSA.it

In 5 seconds i have found another 2 sites with the same story. I even went to the liberty of finding 2 in another language to help you understand. Lets end this avenue right now. It is quite clear what he has said.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

. Incidentally, whose team won in 1970, where Gerd Muller ripped apart such threatening opposition as, um, Morocco, Bulgaria and Peru? Ah yes. Pele's Brazil.

My friend i tell you. It does not take 1 player to make a brazil team win the world cup. To give pele all the credit in a team that had players such as Carlos alberto, Rivelino, Gerson. There is a reason they are considered the best TEAM ever.

Yes pele did feature in multiple world cups. These were against the top players from europe. And look at his goalscoring record there. Hardly supernatural and as been surpassed by Ronaldo Gerd muller etc.

also during pele time 80 game season's were not uncommon. So for messi to score 53 goals in a top modern , if not the top, European league then IMO his goalscoring capabilities are superiour

goal.com's reliablity is often called into question. Most on that website is a load of old ****. Unlikely he said that, probably been taken out of context or was said in jest.

Pele featured in 4 World Cups, and won 3 of those 4 world cups. In those 14 World Cup games, Pele scored 12 goals and got 5 assists. He is the only player to have ever won 3 World Cups. He is Brazil's all time top goalscorer with 77 goals in 92 games. Ronaldo scored 15 goals in 19 World Cup games.

80 game seasons were non existant, don't be silly. Messi scored 53 as did Cristiano Ronaldo this season. One season doesn't really put him on Pele's level. Lets not be silly now.

My friend i tell you. It does not take 1 player to make a brazil team win the world cup. To give pele all the credit in a team that had players such as Carlos alberto, Rivelino, Gerson. There is a reason they are considered the best TEAM ever.

Hence why I said incidentally. Way to ignore all arguments that blow yours out of the water, for instance DMFs first five. Selective quoting ftl.

Pele: Je Messi najboljši? Najprej naj zabije 1283 golov, da bo boljši od mene | Dnevnik

In 5 seconds i have found another 2 sites with the same story. I even went to the liberty of finding 2 in another language to help you understand. Lets end this avenue right now. It is quite clear what he has said.

So.....what you're saying his, he doesn't have a right to have a bit of a boast now and again, which he is fully entitled to with his record? Seriously, this is really tedious, it's been done to death already. It's good to have a bit of confident arrogance. And even if Messi did beat any records, he's the sort of guy who would shake Messi's hand and say well done to him. He's not that bad a bloke. People read to much into things sometimes

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

And yet Pele is the one player that people will always remember from that great team. That's no coincidence. You know, in the same way Zidane is always going to be a legend of the infamous 'galacticos'.

Maradona is a hypocritical ****, Pele is an arrogant ****.

Good to see the legends are keeping the flag high.

80 game seasons were non existant, don't be silly. Messi scored 53 as did Cristiano Ronaldo this season. One season doesn't really put him on Pele's level. Lets not be silly now.

Now i know wikipedia is not the most reliable. If you have anything else to prove me wrong i will withdraw that point, But looking at his goals stats on there a few seasons stood out.

1957 - 67 games
1959 - 83 games
1961 - 74 games
1960 - 67 games
1965 - 66 games
1967 - 65 games
1968 - 73 games
1971 - 72 games
1972 - 74 games.

These numbers are just stupid and ofcourse would vastly improve his chances of high scoring season's

Now i know wikipedia is not the most reliable. If you have anything else to prove me wrong i will withdraw that point, But looking at his goals stats on there a few seasons stood out.

1957 - 67 games
1959 - 83 games
1961 - 74 games
1960 - 67 games
1965 - 66 games
1967 - 65 games
1968 - 73 games
1971 - 72 games
1972 - 74 games.

These numbers are just stupid and ofcourse would vastly improve his chances of high scoring season's

That will be including friendlies, internationals, and competitive. If you add up all of Messi's international appearances, competitive appearances and friendly appearances last season I bet you come up with a similar number.

My Grandad told me a story of when Pele's team Santos come to play Argyle at Home Park in a friendly [Was it 73? something like that?] When they went out to do the warm-up the Santos officials seen the full-house and demanded an extra 10 thousand pounds to play the match. Of course, Argyle couldn't tell the fans the match had been cancelled, so they payed up.

We won 3-2, and too add insult to injury, Santos were banned from playing in England again for something like 10 years. XD

I would of loved to see Pele play tbh, fantastic player. Of course the source is goal.com so I won't believe it, but its difficult to compare players from different era's, who are both so technically gifted.

Like to see Messi try his fancy skills with a ball that weighed a ton-like Pele had to

At the present moment, Pele is the best player ever. it is impossible to compare a 23 to him. In 10 years, we'll see if Messi can keep this up. Pele has been very annoying ever since he retired, he keeps chipping at people and has never tried management, ( and lets not mention his infamous world cup predictions). However, at the time of Pele, the Brazillian league was at least as strong as most European ones.

Back