Sick of pele !

Wait whaaaat? Are you seriously implying that you can't be a **** if you're telling the truth?

Not at all, but you're implying he's being a **** for telling the truth - which is also not really fair. He may be arrogant, but he's not making up facts or making invalid points. He's just stating facts and saying he thinks he's the best and that the facts prove it. Don't see how that makes him a ****.

i don't get why everyone's saying pele is arrogant, he said george best was much better than him

Not at all, but you're implying he's being a **** for telling the truth - which is also not really fair. He may be arrogant, but he's not making up facts or making invalid points. He's just stating facts and saying he thinks he's the best and that the facts prove it. Don't see how that makes him a ****.

I'm calling him a **** for speaking of himself in third person.

Wouldn't you think I was an idiot if I said: "Mads disagrees with you, Mads thinks he's a **** for speaking of himself in third person"?

i don't get why everyone's saying pele is arrogant, he said george best was much better than him

In the article I linked to, he said he was better than George Best.

well he needs to make his mind up cause he did say 'george best was the greatest player in the world'

I'm calling him a **** for speaking of himself in third person.

Wouldn't you think I was an idiot if I said: "Mads disagrees with you, Mads thinks he's a **** for speaking of himself in third person"?

In the article I linked to, he said he was better than George Best.

Speaking in the third person makes you a ****? Makes you a weirdo, but not a ****.

Speaking in the third person makes you a ****? Makes you a weirdo, but not a ****.

Speaking in third person whilst praising yourself makes you a weirdo ****.

"In 1958, 1962, Brazil had excellent individuals," he added. "We had Garrincha, we had Didi, Djalma Santos. Also Pele, [Mario] Zagallo were excellent players. But as a team all together I think 1970 was no doubt the best team."

I think that's cunty, if you don't, then we just disagree.

I don't see where he was insulting George Best in that article at all. He complimented if anything, that those players used to play for over a decade, and now players are more of a "flash in the pan".

"In 1958, 1962, Brazil had excellent individuals," he added. "We had Garrincha, we had Didi, Djalma Santos. Also Pele, [Mario] Zagallo were excellent players. But as a team all together I think 1970 was no doubt the best team."

Then yes, we disagree.

We do live in a society where people love to criticise success, so I guess in that context you can call it cunty. Although if he was to more modest people would say the man has self esteem and confidence issues. Lose-lose situation.

We do live in a society where people love to criticise success, so I guess in that context you can call it cunty. Although if he was to more modest people would say the man has self esteem and confidence issues. Lose-lose situation.

You could say that. But I don't think players like Messi or Ronaldo (the original one) has self-esteem or confidence issues and I don't think they are arrogant either.

The Rock speaks in the third person and he's awesome, so I'm with you, speaking in the third person doesn't make you a ****.

Also, galactico, bare in mind that Messi and the players today have a great deal of protection from the referees whereas in Pele's day defences would go out with the sole intention of kicking the best players off the pitch, as happened to Pele in the 66 World Cup.

And ... at the grand old age of 17 Pele scored a hattrick in the world cup semi final and two more goals in the final. Unprecedented for a player of that age. His achievements speak for themselves.

I think he is so overated, he never played in europe and counted goals he scored in his garden. I bet if messi was sent back to 1430's brazil, when pele played, he would score 2000 goals.

Ps. to MOD's i know thier is a few threads on him but they all apear to be closed.

Yea nice year friend ;) . i bet Messi will be playing Along side Chritopher Colombus, and the spanish armanda at mexico in that time .
LOLL ;)

The Rock speaks in the third person and he's awesome, so I'm with you, speaking in the third person doesn't make you a ****.

Also, galactico, bare in mind that Messi and the players today have a great deal of protection from the referees whereas in Pele's day defences would go out with the sole intention of kicking the best players off the pitch, as happened to Pele in the 66 World Cup.

And ... at the grand old age of 17 Pele scored a hattrick in the world cup semi final and two more goals in the final. Unprecedented for a player of that age. His achievements speak for themselves.

Again, not trying to undermine Pelé's achievements, but the players back in the 60's strength and pace doesn't come close to that of today. If we put Messi in a time machine back to the 60's I'm fairly certain (mind you, you can never be sure) he would run past the opponent players like they were traffic cones.

Yea nice year friend ;) . i bet Messi will be playing Along side Chritopher Colombus, and the spanish armanda at mexico in that time .
LOLL ;)

I know you're attempting to make a funny joke, but seriously, if you're going to bash people's choice of year, then don't use weird **** for that time either. Columbus went to N-A in 1492 and the Spanish armada was in 1588-1568 (I don't know exactly).

I know you're attempting to make a funny joke, but seriously, if you're going to bash people's choice of year, then don't use weird **** for that time either. Columbus went to N-A in 1492 and the Spanish armada was in 1588-1568 (I don't know exactly).

at least it around that 14-15 century era.

he should proof read his mistakes before posting.

Pele may have been a tad arrogant and full of himself when he said that, but part of what he said is actually true.
Still a legend. :wub:

This is just sensationalism. If Pele did actually say exactly as he was quoted, you have to remember the man's personality. And also remember he's Brazilian and Messi is from Argentina. Of course he isn't going to admit that Messi is better than him (as a 23 yr old no less), and his quote of 1283 goals is just a friendly jibe at someone who he knows is easily in the best handful of players to have played the game so far. Don't get so offended. And you have to love his other jibe, pointing out that Messi doesn't perform with Argentina. It's a great point! I fully expect Messi to end up as one of the best ever over the next decade, but he has a lot yet to prove. Remember how everyone thought Ronaldhino was one of the greatest for a few seasons in a row, and then he faded into another average pro? I don't think this will happen to Messi, but you have to keep it in mind.

he should proof read his mistakes before posting.

i seriously cant belive an argument has developed over this. It was sacrasm !! if you read the debate you would have realised i made a point about the 1970 world cup ! ofcourse i known thats not when he played you **** he would have to be 600 odd years old lol

Also i stand by my argument. By my name its farley obvious im not another bandwagon barca fan either, but i have to admit if messi went back in time and played against these men, who's level of fitness in todays game would be considered pub team instead of professional athletes, he would stroll past them like they were cones at training.

*awaits reply from someone who thinks because the world cup wining brazil team played in brazil all players were of this incredable level and not the semi-pro unpaid players they were*

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

1) There was an offside rule.
2) He counted goals he scored as a professional footballer. Competitive games and friendlies.
3) Didn't score in Europe, but played in 4 World Cups (won 3 of them), and played in a Brazilian league where the majority of the National team played at the time.
4) It was the 1960's, no the 1430's.
5) Messi isn't on Pele's goalscoring level.
6 and most importantly) It's goal.com

1) yes i apologise i was wrong and have edited the opening post.
2) The garden part was sarcasm.
3) The majority of natonal team players did play here yes, but most of the teams in the league were semi-professional as football was no where near the industry it is today. Most were not even full time.
4) this does not deserve a response
5) in pele's time the formation's played were outrageous and there was a huge emphasis on attack and little focus on defence making goal scoring alot easier.
6) other sites have ran the story aswell. this was the first one i seen.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Goal.com are truly rubbish. We don't know what context the words were said in. Maybe the first part was a joke for all we know.

All that goes to show is that Pele was an unselfish player who was far more rounded than just a goalscorer. We could compare Pele and Muller/Ronaldo's assists, could we not? Find the stats, and we can have a look at them. Incidentally, whose team won in 1970, where Gerd Muller ripped apart such threatening opposition as, um, Morocco, Bulgaria and Peru? Ah yes. Pele's Brazil.

Here is your reply you so desperatly want.

1. as far as I know there is no record of pele's assist's so we can not compare.
2. i did not deem a reply as you have tried to show pele as the best ever by claming a team achievment as soley down to him.
3. you obviously did not read other comments as i have gave links to other sites such as espn who also ran the story.

ITT we use the word **** a lot.

1. as far as I know there is no record of pele's assist's so we can not compare.
2. i did not deem a reply as you have tried to show pele as the best ever by claming a team achievment as soley down to him.
3. you obviously did not read other comments as i have gave links to other sites such as espn who also ran the story.

1. Maybe not, but I think we can all agree that Pele was a far more rounded player than Muller. Muller was a predatory striker, one of the best ever at scoring goals, but as a creator he was truly limited. Goals are not the ONLY currency of a forward, otherwise players like Huntelaar and Bent would be in the top five in the world. It's the same reason why many consider Messi to be better than Ronaldo: creatively he's far superior.
2. Eh? Where did I say that? Stop putting words into my mouth, kthx.
3. And if you'll notice, you only linked to other sites after my comment you quoted from.

Back