Spain Announce Provisional WC Squad

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
Spain have today announced their 30-man provisional squad for the forthcoming World Cup. A lot of familiar names, as expected, but a couple of surprises as well.

GOALKEEPERS

Iker Casillas - Real Madrid
David De Gea - Atletico Madrid
Diego Lopez - Villarreal
Pepe Reina - Liverpool
Víctor Valdes - Barcelona

DEFENDERS

Raul Albiol - Real Madrid
Alvaro Arbeloa - Real Madrid
Cesar Azpilicueta - Osasuna
Joan Capdevila - Villarreal
Carlos Marchena - Valencia
Gerard Pique - Barcelona
Carles Puyol - Barcelona
Sergio Ramos -Real Madrid

MIDFIELDERS

Xabi Alonso - Real Madrid
Sergio Busquets - Barcelona
Cesc Fabregas - Arsenal (ENG)
Andres Iniesta - Barcelona
Javi Martinez - Athletic Bilbao
Marcos Senna - Villarreal
David Silva - Valencia
Xavi Hernandez - Barcelona
Santi Cazorla - Villarreal
Jesus Navas - Sevilla
Juan Manuel Mata - Valencia

FORWARDS

Pedro Rodriguez - Barcelona
Daniel Guiza - Fenerbahce (TUR)
Fernando Llorente - Athletic Bilbao
Alvaro Negredo - Sevilla
Fernando Torres - Liverpool (ENG)
David Villa - Valencia

David de Gea, Cesar Azpilicueta, Javi Martinez, and Pedro are the surprises, all having superb seasons, thus deserving their call-ups.

What are your thoughts on the selection? Is there anyone who should be going, or anyone who shouldn't?

MIDFIELDERS

David Silva - Valencia
Jesus Navas - Sevilla

That is 1 good Midfield

Amazing Squad, They have to cut it down to 23, he has a tough decision, but I think the younger lads like Hernandez, Matinez and Pedro will be 3 of the 7 to go

Pedro is an absolute animal. Not sure about Guiza, bit average imo. Great team though and some brilliant young talent is coming through.

Pedro defo deserves to be in the squad he has been quality this year, scored so many goals too.

Edit: good how hardly any players play outside of Spain, it's good for them to play in their own country.

Not a strong defence in terms of depth.

Dont think Jesus Navas will go, he can barely leave Seville without having a panic attack, cant see him going all the way to SA and performing well.

Last edited:
No World Class left back :\

Great sqaud anyway.

I have a feeling that Spain won't do as well as expected in South Africa... The team is one of the best, but something tells me that they won't reach the semi-finals... But lt's see what happens, probably they will face Portugal in the round of 16, and I think we can surprise them. At least, I hope so...

Not a strong defence in terms of depth.

I agree, if there is a weakness to be found, that is it. Probably something that has been apparent in previous World Cups and a reason for them not living up to expectation. Props for winning the Euros but the WC is a different prospect altogether.

MIDFIELDERS

David Silva - Valencia
Jesus Navas - Sevilla

That is 1 good Midfield

Good? is that all that midfield is a beast will tear up any team

spain = world cup final this year

I see your quote, and raise.....Spain to WIN World Cup this year^^)

the 7 I would cut would be -

David de Gea
Victor Valdes
Santi Cazorla
Dani Guiza
Cesar Azpilicueta
Jesus Navas
Negredo or Llorente

no bojan... pedro has scored 22 goals this season.. WTF - since when was he even vaguely good??? then again Messi has scored like 45 lol

can they remove and add players when the 23 man squad is announced say they want to take um Bojan (if he is spanish) could they still do even though he isn' in that 30 man squad?

I'm delighted that Pedro is in the squad he deserves it. Now to make it into the actual 23.

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

I think Bojan has come into the spotlight maybe to late. I mean he was barely on the fringes of Barca's squad before February March, but maybe he's done enough at the moment I'm not sure.

can they remove and add players when the 23 man squad is announced say they want to take um Bojan (if he is spanish) could they still do even though he isn' in that 30 man squad?

Pretty sure they can, this is provisional and not official.

well i think negredo will be a quality playeer during the world cup

Pretty sure they can, this is provisional and not official.

The 30 man squad is to cover injuries etc, but until they hand the 23-man squad to FIFA, they can chop-and-change as they please.