Sporting Club : Trying to buy a World Cup!

View attachment 401145

Academica 0 Sporting 2

William Carvalho (pen), and Fredy Montero (ya, that's right)
The injuries have piled up to the point where I stuck Fredy Montero in the lineup and he actually scored.

View attachment 401143

This brings us to the derby. Benfica-Sporting. The biggest game in Portugal, all due respect to Porto. The match was made even bigger by both the axe hanging over my head and the tightness at the top of the table. A win would bring Sporting to within 3 points of Benfica at the top, a loss would all but erase any hope of a top two finish. Each team has only 4 games remaining.
View attachment 401144

Fredy Montero was a surprise inclusion on the starting 11 for Sporting and he delivered with a goal in the 5th minute to put Sporting ahead 2-0 after Rithely scored in the 3rd minute to open the scoring. Sporting came out like they were shot out of a cannon! The game was a barn burner and, in the end, Sporting came out on top 4-3 and with the win, won the right to tell the board to choke on their ultimatum, I'M NOT GETTING FIRED!....today
Braga won the late game of the night, 1-0 over Gil Vicente so, with three games left for each team the top of the table looked like this:

Benfica 56
Porto 55
Braga 55
Sporting 53
Nacional 51

In Portugal, the first tie breaker is the results between the teams. so, with so many teams in the hunt it would take too long to go into all the possible ties, so I'll wait and see how things look on the eve of the final day.​

Oooo come close to being sacked already! Definitely not good!

Hope with that win over Benfica you can kick on from there, cant let the story end so soon! :p

Andre Martins and the oft-injured Leandrinho both scored to give Sporting a crucial 2-0 win over Guimaraes. In another game Benfica hammered Nacional 7-2 to take them out of the title hunt. With two games remaining in the schedule, the top of the table couldn't be tighter!

View attachment 401125

On the job security front, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the board of directors since their ultimatum. I haven't lost either but that's no comfort. As manager of Belenenses in a previous save I won 4 games in a row and then was fired after losing the fifth game. And, to add insult to injury, Athletic Bilbao manager Valverde was seen in the stands during my last game. The reason? He is interested in managing Sporting. Have any of you had this happen? Unbelievable! I've got my first enemy of this save!

A side not after the game, I was approached in my office by representatives from the stadium vendors union. They demanded that I sell Andre Carillo immediately! Apparently they were convinced that Carillo was headhunting for them. It seems that every time Carillo is sent in alone on goal, he launches the ball into the seats! The vendors no longer feel safe doing their jobs while Carillo is on the pitch. I promised to work with Carillo on his finishing.

Still want to fire me Sporting board??
View attachment 401096

Last edited:
The second last game of the season featured a visit from Maritimo, it was scoreless until just before half when Henrique drilled home the go-ahead goal. The score stayed 1-0 until second half injury time when Colombian capped Freddy Montero slotted home some insurance in his final game for Sporting to give us a 2-0 win!​
That brought us to the final weekend of the season, and what an exciting final is it was shaping up to be with no less than 4 teams still having a shot at the title!​
Remarkably, Braga was in position to possibly bring home their first ever Liga title! Benfica and Porto were the other teams battling for top spot. The fixture list was not smiling on Sporting and we had to take a trip to Porto. All games began at the same time.

Guimaraes at Benfica
Nacional at Braga
Porto at Sporting

Here's a minute by minute of the final day:​
8 min Guimaraes goal! Amorim o.g.
Guimaraes 1-0 Benfica

The Guimaraes goal puts Sporting temporarily into 2nd place and a guaranteed Champions League spot!

Porto 62
Sporting 60
Benfica 60
Braga 60

36 min Benfica goal! Cardozo!
Giumaraes 1-1 Benfica

Benfica reclaims the 2nd spot!

Porto 62
Benfica 61
Sporting 60
Braga 60

37 min Guimaraes goal! Matias!
Guimaraes 2-1 Benfica
43 min Braga goal! Alan!
Nacional 0-1 Braga

Braga go top!

Braga 62
Porto 62
Benfica 60
Sporting 60

45 min Guimaraes goal! Melo!
Guimaraes 3-1 Benfica

Braga 62
Porto 62
Benfica 60
Sporting 60

I have to leave it at that for now, the wife just walked in the door ;)

Last edited:
So, at halftime, Braga was in position to win their first ever Portuguese title based on a tiebreaker over Porto, while Sporting were on the outside looking in, also based on a tiebreaker with Benfica. The second half action:

51st min Aurelio scores for Nacional! This drops Braga to 3rd, lifts Porto to first. It also (based on a confusing 3-way tiebreaker with Sporting, Benfica and Braga) lifts Sporting over Benfica and Braga, into 2nd spot!

scores:
Nacional 1-1 Braga
Guimaraes 3-1 Benfica
Porto 0-0 Sporting

Porto 62
Sporting 60
Braga 60
Benfica 60

57th minute Benfica scores! Djuricic with the goal!
This doesn't
affect the standings but brings Benfica to within a goal of tying their game and securing 2nd spot!

67th minute Quaresma heads home a goal for Porto!!!!! Disaster strikes for Sporting! Porto takes a stranglehold on top spot while Sporting drops out of the Champions League places. No more scoreboard watching for Sporting, without a goal they are doomed!!

Scores:
Guimaraes 3-2 Benfica
Porto 1-0 Sporting
Nacional 1-1 Braga

Porto 64
Braga 60
Benfica 60
Sporting 59

During the excitement I missed the fact that in the 68th minute, Benfica's Silvio scored to tie their game!! Benfica leapfrogs over Braga into a group stage spot in the Champions League, Sporting would now need two goals to take 2nd. Lots of money at stake here! In the 75th and 77th minutes Braga and Nacional exchanged goals! It's now 2-2 in that game

Scores:
Guimaraes 3-3 Benfica
Porto 1-0 Sporting
Nacional 2-2 Braga

Porto 64
Benfica 61
Braga 60
Sporting 59

All the scores stayed like this until the 88th minute when Benfica's Oscar Cardozo headed home the winner for his team, then in injury time Carlos Martins scored an insurance goal as Benfica came back from 3-1 on the final day to win 5-3 and secure 2nd spot, a place in the Champions League and all the cash that goes with it!! Sporting had their dreams crushed by champions Porto and would finish in a disappointing 4th place!

The final scores and standings
View attachment 400738
Porto (as Champions) and Benfica (2nd spot) would take group stage spots in the Champions league.

Braga (3rd place) will enter the Champions League in the playoff round.

Sporting takes a consolation group stage spot in the Europa League.

Belenenses and Academica are relegated.

Nacional da Madeira and Pacos take the other Europa League spots.

A disappointing final day, with the club so far in the red financially, I was really counting on that Champions League money. I'm not sure how the offseason will work, my squad is very thin, lots of contracts are up for renewal and there isn't any money left in the kitty. I may be forced to sell a large junk of the roster and replace them with free players or youth team members. This challenge just got a lot tougher!

I'll post soon all the trophy winners and award winners as well as a quick recap of Europe and the top leagues.

Last edited:
Loved that goal by goal run down! Close but no cigar, looking forward to seeing what happens next season

Loved that goal by goal run down! Close but no cigar, looking forward to seeing what happens next season

Thanks! I took screenshots everytime I got an update and kept the table in the corner of the pitch. That Porto goal really took the steam out of me.

Really good story, and last two updates were superb. Also Kudos for taking the defeat. A lot of people wouldn't admit it but some stories on here just always seem to get the luck...

Notes on the end of the season

Ajax boss Frankie De Boer was spotted in the stands during the final game against Porto because he is interested in taking my job. Nice guy, class all the way.

The player of the game for Porto was Marcos Rojo, one of the players they purchased from me at the start of the year. This will not win me any points with the fans.

ANNUAL PORTUGUESE AWARDS SHOW & DINNER

Foreign based Portuguese Player of the year: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
Runners up: Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Pepe (Real Madrid)

Portuguese Domestic player of the year: Adrien (Sporting)
Runners up: Manuel Jose (Pacos), Daniel Candeias (Nacional)

Liga ZON SAGRES player of the year: Adrien (Sporting)
Runners up:
Andre Martins (Sporting), Alan (Braga)

Liga ZON SAGRES Most Goals: Oscar Cardoso (Benfica) 21 goals
Runners up: Fidelis (Maritimo), Raul Rusesco (Braga)

Liga ZON SAGRES Most Assists: Adrien (Sporting) 20 assists
Runners up: Nicolas Gaitan (Benfica), Manuel Jose (Pacos)

Liga ZON SAGRES Most Man of the Match: Adrien (Sporting) 8 Man of Match
Runners up:
Andre Martins (Sporting), Christian Ceballos (Arouca, on loan from Tottenham)

Liga ZON SAGRES Team of the Year:
View attachment 400713
4 Sporting players: Weldinho, Jefferson, Andre Martins and Adrien

Liga ZON SAGRES Central Defender of the Year: Marcos Rojo (Porto)
Runners up: Mateo Mussachio (Benfica), Luisao (Benfica)

Liga ZON SAGRES Wingback of the year: Guilhermo Siqueira (Benfica, on loan from PSG)
Alex Sandro (Porto), Dodo (Benfica, on loan from Napoli)
*-This was a weird one considering both my wingbacks made the Team of the Year

Liga ZON SAGRES Forward of the year: Oscar Cardozo (Benfica)
Runners up: Jackson Martinez (Porto), Osvaldo (Porto)

Liga ZON SAGRES Young Player of the Year: Juan Fernando Quintero (Porto)

Liga ZON SAGRES Manager of the Year: Henrique Calisto (Pacos)
Runners up: Paulo Fonseca (Porto), Marco Silva (Estoril)

Final Stats Leaders
View attachment 400712
Adrien cleaned up at the awards dinner, bringing home 4 awards including Player of the Year!

Promoted from the 2nd tier: Aves, Chaves
Taca da Liga winner: Porto
Taca da Portugal winner: Porto

Porto win the treble!​

Last edited:
Really good story, and last two updates were superb. Also Kudos for taking the defeat. A lot of people wouldn't admit it but some stories on here just always seem to get the luck...

I appreciate that. I will say this, when I started playing in '09 I used to put the odds always in my favour, but I quickly lost interest in the game and didn't play for a very long time. I've found that if you take the good with the bad, the game will be much more fun and exciting.

I have no idea if I will achieve my goal, or even come close, and that's the best part. This story could end at any moment as I've been on the verge of being fired since mid-season.

So, some lessons learned from the first season. First and foremost, I will have to do much better securing loans. you can see from the awards, some top players were brought in by my rivals. With my financial situation, I will have to do better.

Also, I will try to be nicer with my players. I think that punk in Belgium got in the ear of my players as morale took a nosedive along with the results.

Finally, the experiment really begins in earnest now. All foreign capped players will be out the door by seasons start, hopefully I an stay afloat (and employed) while I bring my young players through!

Off Season 2014

Initial Budgets: 240k/week salary, ?1.78 Transfer Budget

I immediately change the budget to increase the salary allowance as my current salary is 246k/week

At over ?9million in the hole I am forced to put several players on the market. I decide to go with an old strategy for making extra cash: Sign free players with upside, loan them out on 100% paid loans, sell them for profit. It's shaping up to be a tough season and I'm thinking that I made some mistakes in season 1 that could cost me the whole save.

Portugal has slipped to 6th in the coefficients table. The good news is that we keep 3 Champions League spots, the only change being that the 3rd spot is no longer in the best placed playoff, it will now enter in the 3rd qualifying round, meaning the team will have to win two ties to get to the group stage.

Having not had any European football last year, Sporting have dropped 13 places to 37th overall in team coefficient. This could prove costly in any future group stage draw.

Adrien picked up another award after being voted Sporting fans Player of the Year!

In National Team News, Portugal failed miserably at the World Cup, losing 1-0 to Brazil in the opening match, followed by a 2-0 loss to Ivory Coast. They were eliminated by the time they face Australia in the final match. The 2-0 win did not save Paulo Bento's job as he was forced to resign after the tournament. Jorge Jesus decided to leave Benfica and take over as National Manager. Germany (with the real players) won the World Cup, beating Brazil 2-0 in the final.

TRANSFERS

In order to raise money, I had to sell several fringe players as well as a few starters. I didn't even look at bringing in any new players until I saw how much money the fire sale raised.

Players out:
Elias (1.9m to Corinthians), Andre Carillo (750k, to Atletico Paranaense), Jefferson (875k, to PAOK), Lucas Alves (wingback prospect that I really wanted to keep - 2.2m to Ajax), William Farias (3m to As Saint Etienne), Valentin Viola (105k/month loan to Braga, they also pay 100% of his salary), GK Marcelo Boeck (500k to Maritimo), Miguel Lopes (250k to PAOK) along with several youth and reserve team players.

Players in:
These players were mostly signed during the season and have just joined the team:
View attachment 400702View attachment 400701View attachment 400700

I'm taking a chance on Marco Benassi (loan), with 6 under 21 caps for Italy I run the risk of losing him if the senior team decides to cap him. If not, I will try to sign him at the end of the year.

I've also brought in 10 free players so far, with more to come. At the moment I don't have a keeper that is over 18 years old although I have tendered a contract offer to 38 year old former Portugal keeper, Quim. Yes, I've sunk to a new low.

Just read through all of this story, it's really good! Keep up the good work.

I've sold off much of the roster, but have raised the bank balance to ?4.2million and have a transfer budget of over ?5million, as well as a cushion of over 100k/week in the salary budget! I've extended Adriens deal an extra year, so that's one less thing to worry about. Now to restock this roster!

Two keepers signed, Quim, and youngster Charlie Albinson. Still trying to get a loaner in but the scouts have been slow to turn in reports.

Here's how the 2014/15 squad shapes up so far
Keepers: Quim, Albinson, and Pedro Henriques. Henriques is my star regen from last season, he's more for the future but should see some 1st team action this year as well. If Quim plays more than 15 games he gets a 1 year extension, which I don't want. Albinson was signed to loan out and possibly sell for profit.
View attachment 400679View attachment 400678View attachment 400677

Wingbacks: So far no left wingbacks on the roster, right wingback looks week also. I'm thinking about playing forwards in those roles.
View attachment 400674View attachment 400673

Center Back: (I play with 3)
Mauricio was sold, but still I feel strong at this position. Eliveton will be my stud. I'm hoping to play Carvalho at Defensive Midfielder so I'm hoping one of the youngsters can step up. My biggest hope is that brazil doesn't decide to cap Eliveton!
View attachment 400672View attachment 400671View attachment 400670View attachment 400669View attachment 400668View attachment 400667

Holding Midfielder (I play two):
Carvalho will play here also, with Dier as well. My DM's act as part of the back 5 so a lot of the players will do both. Rithely will be key this year.
View attachment 400666View attachment 400671View attachment 400665

Midfielder (I play two here as well), this position scores a lot for my team, as I play with no forwards.
Adrien and Andre Martins will hold down these positions, with Marco Benassi and Leandrinho getting some time as well.
View attachment 400664View attachment 400663View attachment 400662View attachment 400660

Attacking Central Midfielder (effectively, my striker)
Henrique will once again be my starter but I signed a couple of free Joao's to spell him.
View attachment 400659View attachment 400658View attachment 400657

So, that's the lineup that I will field in an effort to stay employed this year. Of course, I selected the lowest of the boards goals this year, which was a Champions League place, 3rd or better.

The preseason was poor as most of my signings were still on their way to Portugal. I start the season at home to Gil Vicente!
View attachment 400656

August 2014

Four August signings have bolstered the squad, although I may have made another error by signing too many keepers. Another former Portuguese national keeper, Eduardo, was signed on a free, as well as Pecanha for 25k from Romanian side Petrolul. Sporting also announced the signing of DM Alan Santos from....uh...Santos, oddly enough, as well as a key load signing, left wingback Cortez (just the one name) from Sao Paolo, who scored on his debut against Rio Ave.

Aug 17 Sporting 1 Gil Vicente 0
Goals: Andre Martins

Aug 24 Rio Ave 1 Sporting 2
Goals: Cortez, Adrien

Aug 31
Sporting 2 Maritimo 0
Goals: Adrien, Adrien

The three wins put Sporting second on goal difference to Nacional and also secured another Manager of the Month award for myself. I will be sure to bring that with me to the next board meeting as my position is still listed as 'Very Insecure'. I mean, seriously? I went to the last day of the season with a shot at the title, sold half my team and I won the opening three games of the season and I'm still on the hot seat!

Table
View attachment 400590

Sporting Player of the Month for August: Adrien
View attachment 400589

Adrien has picked up where he left off last year, with 3 goals from 3 games, all victories for Sporting
View attachment 400588

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 2014
Sporting were drawn into a Europe League group with Tottenham, Panathinaikos, and M. Tel Aviv
In the Taca do Portugal, Sporting were drawn against Liga 2 side Coviilha.
Sporting have not entered the Taca da Liga yet.

The National side were drawn into a Euro 2016 Qualifying group with Israel, Armenia, Turkey, Luxembourg and Andorra.

On the home front, squad harmony was again disrupted, this time by Leandrinho, who demanded more playing time, promptly got himself injured before I could play him, then before he was healthy, requested a transfer. I accepted his request but I know he will withdraw it before the window opens, they always do. I'll play him more, he'll get over it and he'll stay. He's a decent young Brazilian with an outside shot at being nationalized.

Sep 14 Liga
Sporting 2 Olhanense 0
Goals: Joao Mario, OG

Sep 18 Europa League
Tottenham 4 Sporting 2
Goals: Henrique, Henrique

Sep 21 Liga
Estoril 0
Sporting 2
Goals: Alemao, Andre Martins

Sep 27 Liga
Benfica 3
Sporting 2
Goals: Elivelton, Joao Pedro

Sporting sit in a 3-way tie at the top of the table heading into October.
View attachment 400454

In Europe, Sporting have lost their first group game, but it is also the toughest test in the group, away to Spurs.
View attachment 400453

On the transfer front, we signed 12 young Brazilians in September, mostly 15 and 16 year olds who will start joining the club in 2017

Sporting Player of the Month for September: Andre Martins
View attachment 400452
Andre Martins is once again performing as one of the top midfielders in Portugal
View attachment 400451

Last edited:
OCTOBER 2014

Liga ZON SAGRES

View attachment 400333

Oct 6 Sporting 1 Guimaraes 0
Goals: Andre Martins

Oct 26 Sporting 1 Porto 0
Goals: Joao Pedro

Add another Manager of the Month award for Boss Tweed! We got some revenge over Porto for the season ending, dream crushing loss on the final day of last season. The downside is that we lost Andre Martins for 4 weeks after he injured himself in the weight room. Porto Manager Paolo Fonseca took some shots and both me and my squad. I took the high road for now and decided against firing back. The two wins put us alone at the top of the table and I think most of the fans have stopped calling for my head. Equally as satisfying is that Benfica have taken a nosedive and sit 7 points adrift.

View attachment 400332

Europa League Group J

Oct. 2 Sporting 0 Tel Aviv 0
Panathinaikos 3 Tottenham 4

Oct 23 Sporting 0 Panathinaikos 1
Tottenham 3 Tel Aviv 0

Despite the dismal performances at home in Europe, Sporting are still only 3 points from qualification, thanks to Tottenham dominating all their games.

View attachment 400331

Taca do Portugal

3rd round Oct. 19
Sporting 3 Covilha 1
Goals: Cortez, Ruben Semedo, Cortez

4th round opponent: 3rd tier side Sertinense (looks like a 'Sertin win!)

Sporting Player of the Month for October: Pecanha!
View attachment 400328
The 34 year old journeyman keep had two appearances in October and had two clean sheets and has established himself as a firm number 2 choice behind Eduardo.

NOVEMBER 2014

The Leandrinho saga has ended. He came into my office and told me that he has decided that he wants to stay. Surprise, surprise! Why is it that every time a player requests a transfer, you play him a few times and he changes his mind? Anyway, I've taken to spot starting him at wingback against weaker teams and the extra playing time has seemingly appeased him, for now.

Eduardo was recalled to the Portugal National team after Rui Patricio was injured. Eduardo stated that he was over the moon at being recalled and thanked me personally. I have to say he has been well worth the money (free transfer). I've played Eduardo so much that Pecanha took me aside and told me he was unhappy with his playing time. "You're 34 and I took you from a mid-table Romanian side and here you are, top of the table with Sporting and you're unhappy?" So selfish.

Liga ZON SAGRES

Nov 2 Aves 0 Sporting 2
Goals: Henrique, Alan Santos

Nov 23 Chaves 1 Sporting 0

Nov 30 Sporting 1 Braga 1
Goals: Joao Pedro

Henrique was sent in all alone on goal, and I mean I have never seen a player so alone, with so much time. He missed and we dropped two big points to Braga. I've noticed that Henrique has been getting a buttload of chances and scoring a low percentage of them. I think it's time to give the Joao's (Pedro and Mario) more playing time to see if one of them can take the bull by the horns.

The huge loss to Chaves (on a questionable penalty call) combined with the dropped points to Braga have dropped Sporting to 2nd in the table, behind Champions Porto. It was nice while it lasted! At least Benfica is still struggling, I'd be very happy with a second place finish with this young team!

View attachment 400317

EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP J

Nov 6 Panathinaikos 0 Sporting 0
Tel Aviv 1 Tottenham 3

Nov 27 Sporting 1 Tottenham 2
Goals: Marco Benassi
Panathinaikos 2 Tel Aviv 3

Sporting embarrassed ourselves in Europe this year, sitting bottom of the table in a relatively weak group, no chance of qualification and, oddly enough, the only goals we've scored have been against the toughest team, Tottenham.

View attachment 400318

Taca do Portugal

4th Round: Nov 9th
Sertanense 0 Sporting 3
Goals: Adrien, Vitor, Adrien

Our chances of winning a trophy greatly increased when defending Champions Porto were bounced from the Taca by Guimaraes 2-1

5th round opponents will be 3rd tier side Leca, whom we defeated in last years 4th round. 16 teams remain.

Sporting Player of the Month for November: Adrien
View attachment 400316
Adriens numbers have been down from last year, but on one could have expected a repeat of the amazing 2013/14 campaign he had. At 9.75m, he remains Sporting's most valuable player.
View attachment 400315

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I've had a computer crash and it's erased the last 2 weeks, it's taken me back to November 18. The fact that it's erased 2 losses and a draw is no consolation. To try and get back as close as possible to the first save I will field backup sides for those games. From here on, I will save after every game.

Last edited: