Steven Gerrard - Centre Midfielder?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eds
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
agree with you on the last bit, but the problem with gerrard is that he doesnt know when to take the risk and when not to, the tactical discipline and decision making that i always mention, because there is no doubt his actual footballing ability is top class. he plays the risk too often. and that is what is preventing him from being a top class central mid

Last time I checked you don't need to be "top class" to play in that position.

And everyone has their flaws, Gerrard's is playing the risk. Scholes' is not being able to tackle, which is another key part of being a centre mid, but everyone hails him as a hero.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

As the Zonal Marking article says, he's too far away from Torres & goal to have as much an impact on the game as he would by playing behind Torres. I personally don't feel he can play there to good effect, not tactically disciplined enough, and his passing isn't good enough for that position. Also, if he plays CM who plays in the whole, because as far as i'm concerned, Joe Cole can't play there, that might be his preferred position but he's played his best football starting on the left...

You don't need to score to have an impact on the game. Forwards aren't the only influential players on the pitch, you know.

His passing isn't good enough? His passing is quality, I don't think anyone can argue that. Even madsheep will agree with me there, I imagine.

In the hole, Joe Cole plays there, sorted. Jovanovic or Maxi on the left with Kuyt or Maxi on the right.

Last time I checked you don't need to be "top class" to play in that position.

And everyone has their flaws, Gerrard's is playing the risk. Scholes' is not being able to tackle, which is another key part of being a centre mid, but everyone hails him as a hero.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

You don't need to score to have an impact on the game. Forwards aren't the only influential players on the pitch, you know.

His passing isn't good enough? His passing is quality, I don't think anyone can argue that. Even madsheep will agree with me there, I imagine.

In the hole, Joe Cole plays there, sorted. Jovanovic or Maxi on the left with Kuyt or Maxi on the right.
i say class in referring to him specifically (as i called the rest of his abilities top class). and actually tackling isnt that important if you are not the destroyer (scholes fletcher, alonso masch). but possession more important scholes has done that supremely well for nearly 2 decades thats why hes lauded as a hero

his passing is quality, his choosing of the pass is not

i say class in referring to him specifically (as i called the rest of his abilities top class). and actually tackling isnt that important if you are not the destroyer (scholes fletcher, alonso masch). but possession more important scholes has done that supremely well for nearly 2 decades thats why hes lauded as a hero

his passing is quality, his choosing of the pass is not

Creator and destroyer are not the only types of central mid, really.

Creator and destroyer are not the only types of central mid, really.
never said they were, im giving examples of where its not so important and in the schemes of things the tackling is not. but the possession is. that is the focus of the role gerrard is trying to play, he is the fulcrum of the side, and possession is vital to that.

otherwise, if gerrards role is to purely turn every opportunity into an attack then he should be playing as an attacking midfielder

Last edited:
never said they were, im giving examples of where its not so important and in the schemes of things the tackling is not. but the possession is

The possession is important if you are a controlling centre mid, like Scholes, Xavi, Iniesta but Gerrard isn't like them.

If you were to stick a possession-based central midfielder alongside Gerrard, it'd work a treat.

The possession is important if you are a controlling centre mid, like Scholes, Xavi, Iniesta but Gerrard isn't like them.

If you were to stick a possession-based central midfielder alongside Gerrard, it'd work a treat.
no, as a central midfielder the possession is always important. what is steven gerrards role as a central midfielder for liverpool? not fishing, but a geninue question. if he not there to control the game what is he doing there?

no, as a central midfielder the possession is always important. what is steven gerrards role as a central midfielder for liverpool? not fishing, but a geninue question. if he not there to control the game what is he doing there?

A creator/organiser hybrid, in my opinion. Another reason to stick him in the centre is, as captain, he can be everywhere.

A creator/organiser hybrid, in my opinion. Another reason to stick him in the centre is, as captain, he can be everywhere.
ok well being a creator does not mean you just hit balls forward at every opportunity, you must pick your moments (decison making, i say it again and again) scholes creates, but he doesnt just knock it away every time.

if that is his job (to turn every opportunity into attack), he should be at AMC.

that last sentence sums up gerrard perfectly, and sums up why he shouldnt be at central mid. he cant be everywhere becuase he will get caught out. playing where he is requires him to sacrifice some parts of his game

if he is an organiser he shouldnt be bombing round the pitch, he should be sitting and and dictating the team around him, which essentially makes him a controlling central mid, which again makes possession key. you cant escape the possession.

( i have also noticed that deabte has largely come down to you and me...again:D )

jus occured to me. creator/organiser = deep lying playmaker surely?

Last edited:
ok well being a creator does not mean you just hit balls forward at every opportunity, you must pick your moments (decison making, i say it again and again) scholes creates, but he doesnt just knock it away every time.

if that is his job (to turn every opportunity into attack), he should be at AMC.

that last sentence sums up gerrard perfectly, and sums up why he shouldnt be at central mid. he cant be everywhere becuase he will get caught out. playing where he is requires him to sacrifice some parts of his game

if he is an organiser he shouldnt be bombing round the pitch, he should be sitting and and dictating the team around him, which essentially makes him a controlling central mid, which again makes possession key. you cant escape the possession.

( i have also noticed that deabte has largely come down to you and me...again:D )

I think you seem to be underrating Gerrard's intelligence, footballing brain and tactical nous. It's not as if he is an absolute ****** and sticks the ball forward at every oppurtunity. He does play the odd sideways ball, and one in three or four he'll try the hollywood ball which may or may not come off.

Why should we sacrifise parts of Gerrard's game when it isn't actually necassery?

i would get involved but apparently every point i make is either wrong, or i'm licking you're **** (A)

I don't think he's disciplined enough to play as an out and out CM. I'm not sure he always thinks when he makes his forward runs, and this could leave the midfield exposed if they lose possesion. I think he needs a free role, where he can make runs as he likes, rather than having to sit deep to cover. This is another reason I think Liverpool will greatly miss Mascherano, as he was willing to sit deep and do the dirty work, allowing Gerrard a free role behind Torres.

I think you seem to be underrating Gerrard's intelligence, footballing brain and tactical nous. It's not as if he is an absolute ****** and sticks the ball forward at every oppurtunity. He does play the odd sideways ball, and one in three or four he'll try the hollywood ball which may or may not come off.

Why should we sacrifise parts of Gerrard's game when it isn't actually necassery?
im not underrating him, im going on what ive seen over the last decade. and it is necessary for him to sacfrice some parts of his play. it is not as simple as saying "play how you played at amc, but at mc" it doesnt work that way.

im not underrating him, im going on what ive seen over the last decade. and it is necessary for him to sacfrice some parts of his play. it is not as simple as saying "play how you played at amc, but at mc" it doesnt work that way.

He already has everything needed to play CM, he doesn't really need to make a transition, he's already there.

He already has everything needed to play CM, he doesn't really need to make a transition, he's already there.
but he clearly doesnt does he, the performances and the stats show otherwise. (look at the stuff zeb posted) if he did he would have been playing there under rafa. and he'd be playing there for england, and he'd arguably be one of the best central mids in the world. none of which has come about

but he clearly doesnt does he, the performances and the stats show otherwise. (look at the stuff zeb posted) if he did he would have been playing there under rafa. and he'd be playing there for england, and he'd arguably be one of the best central mids in the world. none of which has come about

He did play there under Rafa for parts, and he plays there under Roy. Don't use England as an example as you know it's stupid he's on the left for tha majority.

He also played there under Ged, albeit a long time ago.

just to clear up before i get hounded by liverpool fans. im not saying this to have a go at gerrard, i think he is a brilliant attacking midfielder, just not at central mid.

Gerrard has been a natural cm all his life,
He has played there for all his Anfiled career except from last season and the odd occasion.
The reson he doesn't play there for England is to accomodate other players, he is certainly England's best cm and one of the best in the world.

Right, I'm gonna have a punt here Madsheep.

Rafa played him there alot, Roy has played him there alot, Capello has actually played him there alot, Houllier has played him there alot.

I'm gonna step out and say those guys know more about football than us. Don't you reckon?

I think he will get more goals from amc but his overall performance is intensified at cm.

He did play there under Rafa for parts, and he plays there under Roy. Don't use England as an example as you know it's stupid he's on the left for tha majority.

He also played there under Ged, albeit a long time ago.
its stupid that hes on the left, but i wouldnt play gerrard at centre mid for england ( or lampard for that matter, but thats a whole other kettle of fish)

he played there, but not very well. he plays there now not but not very well (relative to being an amc) that is the point i'm trying to make

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Right, I'm gonna have a punt here Madsheep.

Rafa played him there alot, Roy has played him there alot, Capello has actually played him there alot, Houllier has played him there alot.

I'm gonna step out and say those guys know more about football than us. Don't you reckon?
is that why rafa converted him to attacking mid and left him there? this has all been said already mate

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

its stupid that hes on the left, but i wouldnt play gerrard at centre mid for england ( or lampard for that matter, but thats a whole other kettle of fish)

he played there, but not very well. he plays there now not but not very well (relative to being an amc) that is the point i'm trying to make

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

is that why rafa converted him to attacking mid and left him there? this has all been said already mate
you just said he hardly plays there for england and then said he plays there a lot? the imtes he has played, its been a mixed performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back