Stoke City Football Club: 150 Years of History and a New Era begins

seanhrfc

Reaction score
View attachment 439002
Stoke City F.C. Rebranded
View attachment 439001
View attachment 439000

On the 9th July 2013, an interview with Stoke City chairman Peter Coates announced intentions that could change the club forever:

"After long negotiations with fellow board members it has been decided that the club will be taking a new approach to the way we conduct ourselves as a football club. Getting Stoke back to the Premier League and establishing ourselves there has been a fantastic achievement and it has been a great boost to the Stoke community. As a lifelong fan of the club I remember watching Stoke in the 50s and 60s and seeing Sir Stanley Matthews play. Not only was he an outstanding footballer but also a local-born lad that had come through the youth ranks at the club and there was a real sense of pride that came with that. When you think of youth development in this country the club that comes to mind is West Ham, regularly branded the 'Academy of Football'. Globally, you have to admire the youth model at Barcelona with countless first team players coming from their La Masia system.

The number of young English players being given opportunities in the Premier League has dwindled significantly in the last couple of decades and we are currently one of the teams in that bracket. At the moment, Andy Wilkinson is the only academy product that regularly plays in our first team whilst Ryan Shawcross has spent a significant proportion of his development years at the club having signed from Man Utd as a 19-year-old. Through a complete re-brand in the club's philosophy this is something that we would like to focus on and whilst keeping our status in the Premier League is imperative we will be aiming to feature as many young English players in our first team in as a means to an end of a World Class Youth Development System. We have the foundations in place with the superb facilities at our Clayton Wood training ground and being granted Category 1 Academy Status. We will be appointing a new manager that we believe will best carry out this philosophy imminently. We hope to build a club that the local community, and indeed the whole nation, can be proud of."

View attachment 438996

Hoddle Appointed At The Britannia
View attachment 438993

"I am pleased to announce the appointment of Glenn Hoddle as our manager who will take change of first team affairs immediately. We discussed our philosophy with him and it is clear that that he is extremely passionate about youth development and his country and he backs this up with great football intelligence. We strongly believe Glenn is the right man for the job and he has the full backing from the board." Peter Coates, Stoke City Chairman.

The appointment of Glenn Hoddle has received a mixed response from fans and the media with one leading journalist stating "yet another Chairman loses the plot and makes rash decisions in the Premier League" whilst Hoddle was supported by former team-mate and pundit Chris Waddle. "Glenn is a very intelligent man and passionate about English football. It will be interesting to see how Stoke get on while blooding youngsters, something that previous manager Pulis showed no interest in." Indeed, some of his critics may have a point. Hoddle enjoyed an illustrious playing career for Tottenham, Monaco and English and continued to Player-Manage Swindon and Chelsea. He then went on the manage the England national team followed by spells at Southampton, Tottenham and Wolves, none of which were particularly successful. He was criticised for his bizarre training techniques at World Cup 98 as well as losing his job over controversial religious beliefs and former players have often remarked on his poor man-management. Upon signing his ?42,000-a-week year long contract Hoddle issued the following statement:

"I am delighted to be given this opportunity to manage here at Stoke. I have been in exile from management for 7 years now and telling the truth I had no real interest in a return. However, upon hearing the plans announced by the chairman my passion for management was re-kindled as this is a project I feel I can really sink my teeth into. I am an honest man and I am well aware I have my critics. I know I am no spring chicken and this could be my last chance to showcase my abilities and prove all those critics wrong. I am a lot more mature and wiser now than when I started out in management and I come in with a fresh mindset. Of course, the role comes with expectations with the new philosophy introduced but youth development is something I am passionate about as shown by my advisory roles at the FA and my experience setting up the Glenn Hoddle Academy. I really believe that I can help push the club into a new direction but this is a long term project and success will not happen overnight. It would be wonderful if we could produce a crop of players good enough to represent our country, particularly those with the technique and creativity shown by those on the continent.

Peter (Coates, Chairman) outlined the on-field expectations and what I had to work with financially, stating that I was expected to avoid relegation. However, I countered this as I feel we can definitely finish mid-table. I have my own ideas on how football should be played and this will mean a re-shape in the way we play. I like my teams to play flowing, attacking football with an emphasis of playing out from the back and being creative and technical in midfield. However, I also want to utilise the strengths at the club such as utilising traditional wingers providing crosses to a tall, techical striker and having a strong defensive backbone (Shawcross and Huth). I believe that we can achieve what we have set out to using this playing philosophy. I also have a number of young English talents I would love to see at the club and we may need to sell players to bring them in. The players currently in the youth and development squads will be assessed over the coming season and those that show potential will also be given the chance to show what they've got."

View attachment 438987

I sit in the stands of my new home pondering my thoughts. It's time to show the world this clubs potential, as well as my own ability and that English youngsters can cut it in the premier league. We can do it.

Stoke is really great club and with great potential in every Fm.

I'll follow this as long as you don't play hoofball, or as some Stoke fans called it Pulisball. :)

Hoddle Talks Transfers
View attachment 438920View attachment 438919

Firstly I would like to talk about the outgoing players. Both Cameron and Begovic are good players that I would like to have kept, but with that sort of money on the table it was hard to refuse as it would help rebuild the squad. Jones and Palacios are not my kind of players and were both placed on the transfer list, Kenwyne will be on his way to Russia while Wilson will have his wages paid by Southampton. Both Ireland and Aissaidi have had their loan contracts terminated as I would rather give the younger contracted players opportunities. I wish all the departing players the best for their future.

Now onto the lads coming in. I would first like to say that the huge amount spent on the players is perhaps not giving a true indicator of what the club have forked out. For example, Ward-Prowse cost us 5 million up front and Southampton will be due another 15 million over 4 years and another 5 million when he gets to 10 caps. Most of our transfers were dealt with future instalments and clauses meaning that the outlay of cash was closer to 20 million. I am very excited about the prospects I have managed to bring in. Jerome Sinclair joins us from Liverpools academy for compensation, he will be part of our development squad whilst being given opportunities in the first team. Likewise for Max Clayton who joins from rivals Crewe. The bigger signings of Hughes, Chambers, Ince and Ward-Prowse will all be regarded as key first team players. Here I have a bunch of lads who are capable of become top Premier League players and its now my job to nurture them to their full potential. They all believe in the philosophy here and are chomping at the bit for the prospect of Premier League football.

Playing Philosophy

View attachment 438909
View attachment 438905

View attachment 438906

Over the pre-season we have been working hard to implement the way I want us to play. Some of the more experienced players were sceptical to begin with as they were used to a more direct approach but they've been won round. With the players already in the squad and the players I have brought in I believe we have the technical ability to be able to control games against most opposition and as such we will look to keep possession of the ball. We will take our game to the opponents and bombard them with players getting forward such as marauding wing backs with our centre backs and deep lying midfielders providing the balance. Where possible we will look to pass into space and utilise our wingers who have bags of ability and pace. I feel we can be successful using this approach and we've had a good pre-season. Bring on the Premier League!

August Update
View attachment 438871
View attachment 438873View attachment 438870View attachment 438868View attachment 438869

We have started the season very well going unbeaten so far. We dominated rivals West Brom in terms of possession and deservedly got our 3 points through a late goal. We were again the better team against Fulham but we lacked the clinical edge needed. Our cup game against Swindon should have ended up with a bigger win margin, however it was good to see Clayton and Sinclair who got a goal and assist between them. Next up Liverpool where we matched them in every department. We managed to sneak a win with all the goals scored by ex-Liverpool players and assists by Ince (x2) ex academy player and Hughes who is a Liverpool fan. It obviously meant a lot to them!

Player of the Month
View attachment 438872
Young Will Hughes gets the player of the month award due to his creativity and key passing ability. He pulled off 3 assists in the Premier League. Less so impressive was Ward-Prowse, but he is young and will be given time to gel in.

Hey mate I don't like your transfer policy, but you have your management style so good luck.

I also will start today with Stoke but my ambition is to try to win Premiership in first season with my new tactic.

Hey mate I don't like your transfer policy, but you have your management style so good luck.

I also will start today with Stoke but my ambition is to try to win Premiership in first season with my new tactic.

Hey there, what is it you don't like about the transfer policy?

Hey there, what is it you don't like about the transfer policy?

for example

You sold Begovic and your goalie is now Butland who sucks with aerial ability.

You signed M.Clayton and you play with target man.

for example

You sold Begovic and your goalie is now Butland who sucks with aerial ability.

You signed M.Clayton and you play with target man.

I sold begovic to afford the lads from Southampton, Butland is a young English keeper who needs games. Begovic is class though. Max Clayton will be turned into a winger, same with Sinclair. Trying to get a young English Target Man but not too much about in that department.

My Stoke reserve team is so full,having hard time to sell Butland, Huth,Edu and others.

good work with the transfers i must say!

Begovic is class, but Butland is potential world class!

Also, the game in a few seasons makes Butland useless, as he stays to rot on the bench at Stoke!

I must say you are making this Stoke team very "like-able" for me ;)

I'd only suggest you sell Charlie Adam, and maybe replace him with Ravel Morrison?

good luck!

Good read so far mate. I do like Hoddle and his philosophy on how football should be played. Well set out too, nice and easy to read, with all the detail necessary to keep reading. :D

My Stoke reserve team is so full,having hard time to sell Butland, Huth,Edu and others.

Who have you brought in? I was expecting Huth to be very solid at the back for me but he keeps on giving it away. He may well be sold in January and a youngster brought in to replace.

good work with the transfers i must say!

Begovic is class, but Butland is potential world class!

Also, the game in a few seasons makes Butland useless, as he stays to rot on the bench at Stoke!

I must say you are making this Stoke team very "like-able" for me ;)

I'd only suggest you sell Charlie Adam, and maybe replace him with Ravel Morrison?

good luck!

Cheers, I am enjoying it so far though it is very frustrating at times. I looked into Ravel but he'll cost at least 15mil and its difficult to offload players as no one really wants them :/

I got Ward-Prowse for 12m In January 2014 :eek:

You got lucky, I've only ever been able to get him cheaply (6-7m) in like 2016 when half his development time has been ruined. Anyway, it would be typical of Hoddle to be brash and overspend on a young player he likes :p

You got lucky, I've only ever been able to get him cheaply (6-7m) in like 2016 when half his development time has been ruined. Anyway, it would be typical of Hoddle to be brash and overspend on a young player he likes :p
Hah! I think he just signed a new contract in the summer, that's why he's costly in the first window.