Stoke City Football Club: 150 Years of History and a New Era begins

Mid Season Update
View attachment 438698

Our form has been up and down to say the least. We've grabbed some outstanding victories such as the wins over City and Chelsea where we showed the grit and determination to succeed. Whereas our performance against Everton was nothing short of disgusting. We've been playing some nice, attacking football throughout the season and out-possessed most opponents. But our defence has been leaky and while we adapt to our new way of football we have sometimes been sloppy in possession. After a run of conceding 13 goals in 5 games I decided to tweak the way we play to include a holding midfielder.

View attachment 438700

View attachment 438699

Above are the top performers in our team. Shawcross has been a rock at the back and has justified his England call ups. Ince started the season ok but went onto some smashing form and now leads the clubs goals and assists charts - he's also the 2nd top scorer in the Premier League! Another young Englishman Will Hughes has been a creative force and put in some top class performances albeit inconsistently. On his day Arnautovic can be unplayable and if he were able to do this consistently what a player he would be. On the other end of the scale, Chambers and Ward-Prowse have not had the best of starts whilst Jon Walters has been poor scoring just 1 goal in 12 games. Huth has a reasonable overall rating, but he has given the ball away 4 times leading to goals as he has struggled to adapt to the new player philosophy.

View attachment 438697
At the half way point we find ourselves just inside the top half after a solid if not spectacular start. We are meeting expectations and should we replicate our early season form in the second half we will smash our points tally from previous seasons.

you should get harry maguire as a future replacement for huth. got him 1st season at wolves, was key to getting consecutive promotions. half way through the third season hes consistently getting above 7. decent prospect in real life aswell.

Season 2013/14 Review

January - February Results
View attachment 438617
January is a month that everyone at Stoke City would like to forget. We played 8 games and failed to win any of them as we struggling to find our goalscoring capabilities. The only highlight was our away goals win against Man City to send us to the League Cup final. February started much the same as January with a poor performance against West Ham which brought Tony Pulis out the woodwork stating that if I fail to win against Southampton I should be sacked. It's a shame that a fellow professional had stooped so low, it's obvious he still has a bee in his bonnet about the club and decided to take it out on me personally. I had a meeting with the boys to gee them up for the Southampton game and they were full of beans going into the game and put a performance to go with it. A small unbeaten run was brought to an end by a high flying United side.

March - May Results
View attachment 438612
The first day of March saw us take on one of my former clubs Chelsea in the cup final and in the first half they gave us the run-around. I saw the lads heads were down at half time, they needed to have faith and I certainly put that into them. An outstanding second half performance lead us towards lifting the League Cup trophy for the second time in the clubs history, the last being in 1972. I'm so proud of the lads as we have managed to knock out City, United and Chelsea in the process.

View attachment 438611
The Cup win gave us a new found belief after a couple of months of timid performances. Peter Crouch managed to find some goalscoring form as he lead the line for. The likes of Hughes and Ward-Prowse started to come into their own and James grabbed his first goal for the club in the final game of the season. Chelsea must hate us and its great to continually get the better of Mourinho who we all know is a great tactician. We've beaten them home, away and in the cup final scoring 10 goals in the process! Had we not conceded against Spurs in the 93rd minute, we would have ended the last three months unbeaten. However, it seems Tom Ince has let the pressure get to him since being touted for England as his formed has massively dipped which is a shame. I hope he will be back on form again next season. All in all, I'm delighted with the way we finished the season!

Youth Intake
View attachment 438609

View attachment 438610

I'd been working closely with Head of Youth Development Dario Gradi over the last few months so I was looking forward to his recommendations although I knew it would be a long term project to improve our youth coaching and recruitment. After seeing the new intake in action I have to say I was a little disappointed with the general quality but one lad caught my eye. His name, unfortunately, is Russell Russell and I believe he has what it takes to become a Premier League footballer. Malcolm Cameron, Austin Vahid and Joe Gee will also be signed as they have the potential to become good league football players and you never know who might surprise you. Dario ensured me that there were lads coming through the younger ranks that are far greater in quality and we decided that this season we were to look around the lower leagues to help fill our u18s squad. Together we spent hours networking, scouting and negotiating and managed to bring in 5 players who we believe have great potential.

View attachment 438599

View attachment 438601View attachment 438602View attachment 438603View attachment 438604View attachment 438605

The Squad
View attachment 438597
I'm pretty happy with the way the players have conducted themselves throughout the season. Captain Ryan Shawcross has continually been our rock at the back while Peter Crouch has been a great influence both on the pitch with his goals and assists as well as off it with the younger players. Jack Butland has been ever present for us this season and having this kind of exposure at the highest level has been great for his development and I have no doubt his performances will get better and better. Will Hughes has been terrific both on pitch and on the training ground and the lads from Southampton, Chambers & Ward-Prowse, have shown true dedication to their game as they massively improved in the second half of the season. Youngster Jerome Sinclair was unfortunate to pick up a 3 month injury that stunted his development but he has time on his side and amazing potential. Overall, I am pleased with the professionalism shown by the more experienced players who have helped the on and off pitch development of the youngsters coming through. Long may it continue!

League Table
View attachment 438598
To finish off my debut season at Stoke, one I've been happy with, we managed to gain a place in the top half of the table with an impressive points tally. Its now time to reflect on the season gone by and of course spend some well earnt time with family and friends on holiday. Not for too long mind, I will be back in early June to greet the new lads coming into the club.

you should get harry maguire as a future replacement for huth. got him 1st season at wolves, was key to getting consecutive promotions. half way through the third season hes consistently getting above 7. decent prospect in real life aswell.

Good shout I will have a look into it.

Hey mate I think that your first season was really bad,top 6 is reality for this club.

You have young team so let hope that next season will be better.

Hey mate I think that your first season was really bad,top 6 is reality for this club.

You have young team so let hope that next season will be better.

This is a long term project not about instant success. The tactic is about playing football in the right way to develop young players. I have had instant success with different sides before in the prem this saves a little different.

How did you get Sinclair for ?0,5M?? Liverpool said they wanted 22M for him.

How did you get Sinclair for ?0,5M?? Liverpool said they wanted 22M for him.

Compensation at the beginning of the game, was surprised to get him as he normally signs a contract with Liverpool but a few thousand a week must have sweetened it.

2014/15 Mid Season Update
View attachment 437954

Transfers Out
View attachment 437959
There were a number of players in our Development squad who's contracts were up but not renewed but I would like to focus on the cash outgoings. Although a good performer last season, Charlie Adam was made aware he would be no more than back up in the new season and as such requested a transfer. He went off to the south coast for a reasonable fee. On the pitch Arnautovic is a great talent but throughout the season we have had clashes about his off-field antics. When Liverpool came in with a good fee, it was hard not to accept. Reserve players Kightly, Edu and Palacios found themselves new clubs whilst AS Monaco came in with good offers for two of our better players, Pieters and N'Zonzi. This was a perfect opportunity to replace the outgoing players with home grown talents.

Transfers In
View attachment 437953
Our first signing, other than the youth lads, was Ryan Ledson who is a fantastic youngster who has the potential to become world class. 5.75m is a hefty fee for a 16-year-old but I strongly believe that in our club structure he will thrive and reach his potential. Jay Rodriguez had lost his way at Southampton and was available at a cut price. He is a good player with a fantastic attitude and at 25 he still has time to improve. He will provide competition for Peter Crouch up top. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was our big money signing of the season and provides the direct replacement for Arnautovic. Another lad with a top attitude, he has the potential to become prevalent on the world scene and here at Stoke he will be given the first team opportunities he needs. Unfortunately Darren Fletcher's loan spell to the Britannia was short lived after he picked up a 4 month injury. Darren is a player I admire for his true professionalism and I would love to bring him here in January to help with the youngsters. 3 others players came in on frees from Man Utd - Thorpe, Johnstone and Keane. They have Premier League potential but a lack of playing experience and will be shipped out on loan to the Championship. Martin Kelly is brought in as the long term successor to Robert Huth. Martin still has the potential to become an England regular and this is something we hope to help him with at Stoke providing we manage to keep him injury free. Noble and Gibbs are two players that are mid-way in their career and will provide the balance of desire to improve to the next level and experience for the younger players. With these two coming in, our strongest 11 now consists of purely home grown players. Walters had struggled to find himself a club and he had been a fantastic servant to the club in the past so he was brought back in. It is important to surround the younger players with dedicated, passionate professionals and Jonathan definitely brings that and in recent weeks we have brought in Ji-Sung Park for the same reason. Oh and Ravel Morrison joins us on loan with a view to signing him.

Home Grown 11
View attachment 437960

View attachment 437955
After a meeting with HOYD Dario Gradi and the board it was decided that we should use all the options available to us to be able to bring through the best youngster possible. I feel there is a lot we can learn from other cultures particularly where youth development is involved and therefore we brought in Rosario Argento from Palermo as our new HOYD. Rosario is one of the best in the business when it comes to developing youth. His ideas are fantastic, he has a world class talent identification and development policy and furthermore has a great way with those he works with. Dario Gradi has remained at the club as an U18s coach, however he will work closely with Rosario particularly as he can speak Italian. The future is looking bright at the Britannia.

Premier League
View attachment 437956
View attachment 437957
We have started in a very similar way to last season, with lots of ups and downs. Its a reasonable start but I am quietly disappointed as I believe we have far greater potential. Nevertheless, we have had to gel in a fair few new players and for the most part we are playing good football we just need to be less sloppy and more clinical.

View attachment 437958
On the other hand, our form in Europe and in the League Cup has been good. We topped our group in the Europa League and we have reached the cup semi-final yet again. I am very happy with how we have progressed in these competitions, particularly as I have emphasised the use of youngsters in games giving several 16-19 year olds opportunities. Our U18s are showing great potential and are sitting in the top half of their league and have reached the cup quarter-final. Ryan Ledson has made 17 starts this season, while Ed Sanders, Jerome Sinclair (9), Russell Russell (5), Nathan Hamilton, Adam Stride and Jared Goode have all made 3 starts or more.

Oh and I forgot to mention, English football dominated the World Scene in 2014. Wigan won the Europa League (beating Udinese), Chelsea won the Champions League (beating Bayern) and England won the World Cup (beating Germany). Crazyness!!!

Ryan Shawcross was selected in the World Cup Team of the Year (substitute albeit) and Tom Ince featured regularly. In recent months, Will Hughes and James WP have made their England debut also.

Great transfers, mate. Loved it. I want to watch this British steel grow even stronger. Cheers!!!!

Quality stuff, as usual mate. Hope you pick some form in the League though, to guarantee the European Football next season.

A question: how do you develop your youngsters? Tutoring of course, but regarding training? I normally hire the best possible managers and ask them to select the appropriate area but I think I need to see what areas/attributes they need to be developed and focus on that. See this on SI forum and really makes sense. I'm still playing FM13 though, hoping you to release a solid tactic for FM14 :)

Class transfers, great to see big Johnny Walters back haha

Ravel would be a great signing for you overtime... play him games, and you would see his potential...
I'd go with Ravel BBM or DLP, and Hughes as AP.. :)
love reading!

Quality stuff, as usual mate. Hope you pick some form in the League though, to guarantee the European Football next season.

A question: how do you develop your youngsters? Tutoring of course, but regarding training? I normally hire the best possible managers and ask them to select the appropriate area but I think I need to see what areas/attributes they need to be developed and focus on that. See this on SI forum and really makes sense. I'm still playing FM13 though, hoping you to release a solid tactic for FM14 :)

Hi Jukilo,

I pretty much just train them in their respective roles on heavy, whilst being tutored. I've been giving youngsters opportunities to play first team football as well, developing at the club rather than loaning out with 19/20s being loaned out if they need even more games.

2014/15 Season Update (Mid March)

Transfers
View attachment 437384
I decided not to spend my budget on more players in January in order to concentrate on what I have already. Our signing was youngster Will Keogh for 300k compensation from Dundee Utd. We had o left back in our u18s so I've brought in a young Scot to fill the void for now. After declaring his interest in a new challenge, I reluctantly accepted 1m bid from Birmingham for home-grown Shotton. I wish him all the best there.

Youth Intake
View attachment 437381
View attachment 437382View attachment 437379View attachment 437378
The best player from this year's academy intake is Patrick Seabury, a striker-turned-winger who is remarkably like last years best player Russell Russell. The likes of Jackson, Perrett and Arnold have also won contracts and will be part of our u18s squad. Once again I scouted throughout the country and managed to snap up a superb prospect from Middlesbrough - Jamie Harvey. He has outstanding all round game for a 15-year-old and already has the attitude to succeed. It looks as though he will be the long term successor to Mark Noble. Elsewhere, one of my scouts came across a good talent from across the pond. Clive Cross is an English-American left back who will join us when he turns 18 in January 2016.

Premier League Results
View attachment 437380
These results are why I have decided to update now rather than at the end of the year. After a bad opening game of 2015 vs City, we have gone onto some outstanding form, picking up 8 wins and 2 draws including wins over Arsenal and Liverpool. Ince has picked up his scoring boots again putting away 7 goals while Ward-Prowse continues to be an excellent creative force for us. Look where this has put us in the league...

League Table
View attachment 437377
After an average first half of the season, I did not imagine we'd be in a title race with 8 games left to play! It's obviously helped that none of the big boys have really hit form but nevertheless it's going to be an exciting end to the season. We are yet to play Chelsea and United at home which could really shape how we fare (see below). My next update will be at the end of the season, combining the league results with our progress in the Cups and Europe.

View attachment 437383