Stone Cold Steve Journeyman. Revisiting all my former clubs

Mr_Grieves

Reaction score

FM 18 is here!!

This year i'm going to try something different.

I've been writing story's on FMBase for 10 years and playing CM/FM for 20 years and sadly life is starting to catch up leaving less and less time to play FM.

In FM 17 i spent a whole year in charge of Aberdeen one of my top 3 favorites in the past 20 years. That got me thinking of all the teams i've managed over the years in respectable multi season saves

AC Milan & Italy
Juventus
Sheffield Weds
Man Utd
Southampton
Celtic, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Scotland
Aston Villa, Man Utd,Tottenham, Real Madrid, France

To Do
AC Milan
Real Madrid
Man Utd
Southampton
Sheff Weds
Aberdeen
Dundee United

National Teams
Italy
Scotland

Done
Aston Villa
Juventus
Celtic
Tottenham
France

So if i was going to do a journeyman save then why not try and repeat what i did with all these teams and try make them each Domestic & European Champions and work with the 3 International sides to try and win the only major trophy i've never won. The European Championships.

No Plans or timelines but hopefully i'll get a shot with each if not all of these teams over time

Save History

Season 1 - Aston Villa Championship 4th, Playoff Finalists
Season 2 - Aston Villa, Championship Winners, Fa cup & League Cup Winners
Season 3 - Aston Villa 4th in PL, Community Shield &
Europa League
Season 4 Aston Villa - European Super Cup
Season 5 - Juventus Serie A, Coppa Italia, Europa Leauge
Season 6 - Celtic SPL, Scottish Cup, League Cup
Season 7 Celtic League Cup
Season 7 Tottenham Premiership, Europa League

Trophys

Europa League *3

English Premiership
English FA Cup
English League Cup
English Community Shield
English Championship

Serie A
Coppa Italia

SPL League
Scottish Cup
2* Scottish League Cup

Last edited:

Aston Villa

View attachment 78494

I thought that despite struggling with the beta to start with a bit of a challenge and go with Aston Villa

Back in FM2012 i also started a save as Aston Villa which led me to Man Utd, Tottenham & Real Madrid. Not exactly planning that route but if that chance appears i'll be doing something right

SI showing what they thing of the 2022 world cup, and i agree
View attachment 78495

Pre Season 2017/18
Our first season and with the depth of the squad i think we should have enough to fight for promotion so i only added a few youngsters and loaned a better goalkeeper and hopefully clubs will bid on my championship quality players so i can sell them on to get money for the Premiership. HOPEFULLY

Pre Season Prices
View attachment 78493
2nd favourites? this is just because of John Terry! If Wolves is half as goo as the real life Wolves then they wont be finishing 3rd

Aston Villa Squad
View attachment 78492
With the amount of money invested it was going to be hard to make any major changes to the squad and as you can see grabbing Kirchhoff on a free was the only long term change to the starting 11

To clear it up right away this the tactic i'm using. Pretty similar to last year except the AMC is now a DMC due to the Beta being quite leaky at the back. As always this is just a base and changes game to game.

View attachment 78491

Aston Villa Transfers
View attachment 78490

Jan Kirchhoff DM
View attachment 78489
The young German came to England with such promise but at a failing Sunderland team you couldnt expect much. He'll be the anchor of my team

Danny Ward GK - Loan
View attachment 78488
Not a move i planned to make but when i compared him to Sam Johnson it was not even a question which one i wanted starting for me especially after he led Huddersfield out of the championship last season

Federico Ermaccora DL
View attachment 78487
One for the future as the Udinese u20 star was the only future prospect that i managed to get a deal done with.

Interesting concept mate, will follow with interest.

So will you only be accepting jobs from sides you have formally managed? Or will you allow yourself some leeway here and there?

Loved your Aberdeen save on FM17 mate so will be following this with interest. I've bought the game myself today and will be starting my own story soon, as I really enjoyed writing my FM17 story which was my first ever!

Always enjoy your long term saves each year so I'm looking forward to this.

I see Tottenham signed Smalling for £20...silly AI.

Mixed start, lets hope you start chaining a few wins together :)

"young German" at 26, makes me feel a bit better about being 28 mate ;)

Interesting concept mate, will follow with interest.

So will you only be accepting jobs from sides you have formally managed? Or will you allow yourself some leeway here and there?

I'll be sticking to these teams

"young German" at 26, makes me feel a bit better about being 28 mate ;)

Speaking at 29 years and 11 months i see you totally get my drift!

September

A thumping from Middlesbrough left in a must change scenario so i try 2 up top and it works wonders. Till we face the bottom two where 4 points dropped leaves the squad approaching mutiny

On the other end we have a major success story from this season
View attachment 78398

It took a stoppage time winner from Snodgrass that has us into the last 16 where we'll play league 1 side Oxford and having a great chance to get to the quarter finals

Fixtures
View attachment 78397

Championship Table
View attachment 78396
Having said that its not like our seasons on the verge of disaster. Top 6 is the boards target and were only 4 points back and unbeaten in 4 league games

Dynamics
View attachment 78395
Early doors but i have to give this feature a HUGE thumbs down.Seems to cause or at least amplify problems that speed up the process of getting sacked really early into a save, something that may turn of players who only buy it to play as there favorite team.

yeah i am not a fan of the new dynamics but like any new feature it will take time to get used to it

Villa is a tough assignment i think - you're right that there pre season odds of 2nd were widely off. But then again this is the championship - get a short winning run together and you'll be right up there.

Villa is a tough assignment i think - you're right that there pre season odds of 2nd were widely off. But then again this is the championship - get a short winning run together and you'll be right up there.

Positionally that's true, but in the dynamic the players support for me has just gone down and down despite not loosing for almost 2 months

View attachment 78276

Anyone else having issues with the game freezing when your in the tactics screen? Twice now i've lost really good runs in October due to it crashing

Last edited:

October

3rd time lucky and we finally complete the month of October, An of course it would be the worst month we had finishing with 4 points less than our worst save

Our only win was in the League Cup where we beat Oxford with back ups and youths to reach the Quarter Finals
View attachment 78251

In the Quarters we'll play Newcastle
View attachment 78250

Fixtures
View attachment 78249

Championship Table
Quite a differnce from the October i wrote about earlier where we were only 3 points off automatic promotion. WEre 18th and 7 points off the playoff spots without a win in 6 league games

Villa looks tough mate....with your story writing skills, I'd love to see you do a journeyman save? I'm doing one myself and absolutely love it! Is it something you've ever considered?

Villa looks tough mate....with your story writing skills, I'd love to see you do a journeyman save? I'm doing one myself and absolutely love it! Is it something you've ever considered?

I've done a few but not for 3 or 4 years.