Sunderland V Arsenal Match Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 181
  • Views Views 8K

Winners ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Song wasn't sent off he blatantly would have taken it and scored.

Can someone tell me why the **** was Rosicky taking the penalty? So much for Arsenal's policy 'if you get fouled you don't take the penalty'. Nasri was on the pitch, Chamakh was on the pitch, I'd even fancied Clichy over Rosicky for the penalty.

Tbh, you wouldn't be saying this if he scored, he's not the least likely person to take a pen (before yesterday), an attacking midfielder who can usually finish...

Just my point on the Song sending off: The first booking was pretty ridiculous, he makes contact, then about 10 seconds later Henderson falls over, it was, of course a foul, but shouldn't have been a yellow card, on the halfway line, genuinely going for the ball. Fairly ridiculous sending off IMO.

Then, of course, Rosicky shouldn't have blasted the ball over the bar like a prat, and Arshavin should've scored under the crossbar :S.

Nonetheless, i have no idea where Martin Atkinson got 4 minutes of added time from.. 1 goal, and a penalty = 5 mins? No serious injuries, no complaining at the time about the red card, and a fairly quickly taken pen.

Tbh, you wouldn't be saying this if he scored, he's not the least likely person to take a pen (before yesterday), an attacking midfielder who can usually finish...

I moaned as soon as he put the ball down.

Just my point on the Song sending off: The first booking was pretty ridiculous, he makes contact, then about 10 seconds later Henderson falls over, it was, of course a foul, but shouldn't have been a yellow card, on the halfway line, genuinely going for the ball. Fairly ridiculous sending off IMO.

Then, of course, Rosicky shouldn't have blasted the ball over the bar like a prat, and Arshavin should've scored under the crossbar :S.

Nonetheless, i have no idea where Martin Atkinson got 4 minutes of added time from.. 1 goal, and a penalty = 5 mins? No serious injuries, no complaining at the time about the red card, and a fairly quickly taken pen.

the ref was Phil Dowd mate not Atkinson :)

Ref made correct call sending off song he tripped steed first half then blocked him two clear yellow.

He didn't get a yellow for tripping Malbranque because it was a first offence. He got his first yellow for not even slightly touching the player that dived. The second yellow was debateable at most.

I agree you deserved a point from the way we both played, but Song didn't deserve a red at all.

He didn't get a yellow for tripping Malbranque because it was a first offence. He got his first yellow for not even slightly touching the player that dived. The second yellow was debateable at most.

I agree you deserved a point from the way we both played, but Song didn't deserve a red at all.

He got his first yellow because of his previous delibrate trip before hand which was clearly a yellow, the one he got booked for was debatable but he recieved the yellow due to the delibrate trip.

Second one was a clear block, Cattermole has done same thing this season two fouls two yellows and a red and is goodref is not just singling out Cattermole in these incedents

You clearly didn't see a replay of the incident before Song's first yellow card. He didn't touch the player (consequently he cannot be punished for it), he simply fell to the floor, therefore the 'foul' he got his second yellow card for would have been his first yellow, had the ref done a better job.

You clearly didn't see a replay of the incident before Song's first yellow card. He didn't touch the player (consequently he cannot be punished for it), he simply fell to the floor, therefore the 'foul' he got his second yellow card for would have been his first yellow, had the ref done a better job.

BI am talking about before he got booked the clear trip on Malbranque which merited a yellow card so yes the ref should have done a better job and booked him then but instead he decided to book him harshly for his next supposed foul. And yes I did see the replay was watching the match thanks

BI am talking about before he got booked the clear trip on Malbranque which merited a yellow card so yes the ref should have done a better job and booked him then but instead he decided to book him harshly for his next supposed foul. And yes I did see the replay was watching the match thanks

While the first challenge was open to interpretation, the second was clearly not a foul as Song didn't touch the guy. The first challenge shouldn't even come into the equation considering the second shouldn't have been yellow carded under any circumstance because it's impossible it was a foul.

Yeah but Alf, the body-check for his second yellow card should have been a straight red.

While the first challenge was open to interpretation, the second was clearly not a foul as Song didn't touch the guy. The first challenge shouldn't even come into the equation considering the second shouldn't have been yellow carded under any circumstance because it's impossible it was a foul.

Impossible it was a foul??? Steed megged him and he body-checked him as we were on a break

He didnt attempt to play ball or get out the way was a foul clear as day how can you not see that every level that is a foul nearly

Last edited:
Impossible it was a foul??? Steed megged him and he body-checked him as we were on a break

He didnt attempt to play ball or get out the way was a foul clear as day how can you not see that every level that is a foul nearly

*Facepalm*

The one he got his first yellow card for.

You said second one which looks like you mean second yellow not sceond foul so *facepalm* back and be clearer

I figured you were able to understand that in the same sentence that the words 'First challenge' is used, you would comprehend that the word 'Second' would refer to the second challenge but perhaps I'm giving you a bit too much credit.

To sum up, Song was unfairly given a yellow card for either a dive from the other player or a fall that he styled out to be a foul. The first challenge (On Malbranque) was a foul, but not a yellow card - so why on earth should Song have been sent off considering the bodycheck wasn't worth a red? It doesn't make sense.

I figured you were able to understand that in the same sentence that the words 'First challenge' is used, you would comprehend that the word 'Second' would refer to the second challenge but perhaps I'm giving you a bit too much credit.

To sum up, Song was unfairly given a yellow card for either a dive from the other player or a fall that he styled out to be a foul. The first challenge (On Malbranque) was a foul, but not a yellow card - so why on earth should Song have been sent off considering the bodycheck wasn't worth a red? It doesn't make sense.

Oh right sorry I am not as all knowing as you I apologise great one.

Oh my oh my oh my. Yes first yellow was harsh not a clear foul. His first challenge just before his yellow was clearest yellow I have ever seen but got away with it, so in way ref was probably making up for it by booking him for his second challenge.

I have never said body check was red card obviously you can't keep track and give you too much credit. The body check is clear yellow especially considering the situation i.e. We were on a break, he was on a yellow and Dowd is a very strict referee. So sum up he deserved his two yellows ^^)

Oh right sorry I am not as all knowing as you I apologise great one.

Oh my oh my oh my. Yes first yellow was harsh not a clear foul. His first challenge just before his yellow was clearest yellow I have ever seen but got away with it, so in way ref was probably making up for it by booking him for his second challenge.

I have never said body check was red card obviously you can't keep track and give you too much credit. The body check is clear yellow especially considering the situation i.e. We were on a break, he was on a yellow and Dowd is a very strict referee. So sum up he deserved his two yellows ^^)

It's your opinion he deserved a yellow, but the ref took on board the fact it was Song's first offence and didn't give one. It shouldn't at all alter the decision he made on the second foul, the first yellow incident, that wasn't even contact. So no, he shouldn't have been sent off, and I'll leave it there because we've been over this too much already.

Oh, and clearly it's not just my opinion that he shouldn't have got sent off. If the ref had better eyesight (giving a foul and card for no contact), it wouldn't have happened as he was clearly intelligent enough to realise that the first foul wasn't worthy of a yellow. (Couldn't be bothered to make a new post)

Last edited:
It's your opinion he deserved a yellow, but the ref took on board the fact it was Song's first offence and didn't give one. It shouldn't at all alter the decision he made on the second foul, the first yellow incident, that wasn't even contact. So no, he shouldn't have been sent off, and I'll leave it there because we've been over this too much already.

Ha so my opinion doesn't matter but yours does nice to know. Your opnion is that he shouldn/t have been sent off and you have just clearly stated only your opinion matters. Typical.

Ok fair enough will leave it there end of the day he was sent off and we got the least we deserved with a point.

Back