Super Sports - Well, they might be eventually!

• Thread starter nursemorph
  • Start date
  • Replies 120
  • Views 13K
Well done, it's nice to get the win after a slump. Do you plan on making any new signings for the league 2? Also did you get any good talent in your under 18s? I just completed a season and got the worst bunch of new under 18s ever. They are even worse than my current under 18s, who are also pretty hopeless.

My under 18s intake is extremely poor and not really worth mentioning :S As for new signings, I have made a handful of loan/free signings but struggled as any players that were half decent didn't want to come to the club. I did get a really good defender from West Ham but then I replaced them as the parent club (not enough of their players were willing to be loaned to me) and so his loan was terminated :(

These are the players I have signed:

picture.php
The players I expect to do well are Tom Sheppard, Michael Vrijens and Jake Livermore but we will have to wait and see.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Hmmm.....after 4 league games of the new season, I am in 23rd place, won 0 drawn 2 lost 2 scored 2 goals conceded 6. Prior to the start of the season, I was optimistic that the team could avoid relegation and maybe finish mid table. I now realise that I have entered a different reality where my players can't play, my strikers couldn't hit a 40mile wide barn door and that a team of Sunday Pub League players would put them to shame :'(. I have, therefore, adjusted my ambitions for this season and on current form, I will consider relegation (but not in last place) as a successful season :(

It would appear that my squad is not good enough for this level of football and will need replacing, but I can't as I have no transfer funds and I'm over my wage budget. I'm only hoping that my loan signings start to play otherwise we are in for a very long and disappointing season. I'll keep you updated

I'm having that problem at the moment too, I haven't started the season yet, but I can't attract any good players. Two guys have gone to the Scottish lowest Division over coming to me, even though I was offerring twice their weekly wage and a higher appearance bonus. The fools! What's really annoying is one of them doesn't even compare to best player who I have full time on £90pw :( .

I have now discovered the problem I have with my team. My idea of playing well and the players' idea is worlds apart. I mentioned to the press that I felt my star striker was playing below par recently (7 games, 1 goal, average rating 6.77 which to me is pretty ****) and he came back with:

Time for another update. My season started extremely badly and my record was: P9 W1 D2 L6 GF5 GA16. Lying in 23rd place still I really thought things would be very bad seeing as I had also been knocked out of 2 cup competitions by League 2 teams. At that point, I realised that maybe it wasn't my players who were at fault but my tactics so I decided to chang them to the BandsOfTwo442standard and since then my record has been: P19 W11 D3 L5 GF34 GA16 and has included 2 fabulous FA Cup victories both away to League 1 opponents. I am currently sitting pretty in 10th place (only 11 points off the leaders!) and, although, I have just been knocked out of the FA Cup, it was home to Sunderland (still in the Premier League) and we only lost 2-0 and pretty much matched them for the whole game (I was extremely proud of my players for the effort they put in :wub:). Now that we have been knocked out of all the cups, I can concentrate on solidifying the teams place in mid table.

picture.php
picture.php

In the lower leagues getting an 8 is really good. My team won everything and I only got 1 9 all season. Usually they average 6.5-7.0. An average above 7.0 was really good, and only my best few players managed it.

Well, time for another update (I haven't updated for 5 days now and I know just how much you all love to hear me rant on about my useless team :p).

Well, the second season wasn't spectacular but it was my first season in the second division so survival was my realistic aim. The team didn't play brilliantly or spectacularly but they got the job done and finished the season in a very respectable 12th place:
picture.php
So, onto the next season and hoping to continue the progression of the last couple of years. We didn't fair well in the Cups again going out of both the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and League Cups in the first round (yet again......I'm getting a real sense of Deja Vu every year when we play these games oO)). However, we once again got to the third round of the FA Cup finally losing away to Southampton 2-1 - the money we got for the run helped with the clubs finances. In the league, we were indifferent but had managed to cement 3rd place with 14 games to go with a healthy lead on the chasing teams. However, in the final 14 games the record was: Played 14 Won 5 Draws 4 Lost 5 and this form , ultimately, lost us the 3rd position and we were lucky to make the playoffs in 6th place. The playoff semi-final was disappointing losing 1-0 at home and drawing 1-1 away to Swindon. So, all the good work of the first half of the season was for nothing :mad:
picture.php
Pre season for the 2011/2012 season saw me hoping that this would be the season that we took the second division by storm. To this end, I decided that the squad would need freshening up , so I started trawling the market looking for young prospects who would inject new energy into the team. There were quite a few pretty decent players out there who were interested in joining my team but, unfortunately, the compensation I would need to pay to their clubs was well outside my financial might (Transfer budget was 65k). I did, however, manage to sign a few good young players who I felt would add a new dimension to the team. But the player I was most delighted to sign was Seyfo Soley who was surprisingly available on a free transfer
picture.php
So to the start of the season and it started disappointingly with a 1-1 and 0-0 draw. I decided to alter the attacking instincts of my team and made them slightly more attack minded plus getting rid of the Target man bit (mainly cos I don't really have a decent target man). The tactics appeared to work and we won the next 3 games 3-0, 1-0, 2-0 and were sat in second place and I started dreaming of winning the league. But, alas, my players had other things in mind and have now gone on a three game pointless streak losing 1-0, 2-1, 2-1 and we now sit in 12th place.

I'm not sure what is going to happen this season but I'm not convinced that Promotion is a realistic prospect for the team (although I hope they prove me wrong). I am still trying to build this team into a team capable of survival in League One on a budget (my transfer spend for three seasons is £2k - yes you read that right! :S). The main achievement this year should be the club reaching the financial state of having £1million in the bank. Thats it for the update. Wish me luck!

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

This game is seriously depressing me now. The team can't achieve any sort of consistency. They play well one game winning 1-0 (had 16 shots on goal, although only 1 on target) and then don't bother turning up in the next game. Not a single one of my players has played a decent game for more than one game in a row. I have changed the tactics very slightly so that we are getting better possession than before. But very few, if any, shots that we have manage to get anywhere near the goal. I am seriously considering deleting this game and starting a new one at a club where I can attract half decent players not complete and utter morons :mad:

Stick at it, I'm sure the lads will start to play properly soon.

your doing well mate, may i ask though what are reunion players?

Stick at it, I'm sure the lads will start to play properly soon.

Yeah.....and I'm a World Class footballer similar in stature to Messi ;)

My players play properly? I don't think they know the meaning of the word. Although, having said that the last 3 games have resulted to a draw and 2 wins after a change of tactics (again!)

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

your doing well mate, may i ask though what are reunion players?

Its a little island nation somewhere. It is full of players who can play easily in the BSN/BSS/BSP and some in League 2 and they can be signed for free with relatively low wages. When you start a new game, you need to make sure that the "Load all players" option is set to Reunion

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:39 PM ----------

Okay...this one isn't an update more of a rant. Currently, I am wondering why I persist in playing this game cos I really m not enjoying it. I mean, whats the point in playing if your team dominates every time they play, has at least twice as many shots on target, has decent strikers who should be scoring loads and yet loses every flipping game? And if this is happening, then it makes me wonder just how **** a manager does that make me? Pretty **** if you ask me cos I really have no idea what to do about it.

Oh well, rant over.....I shall continue until I get relegated back down to the BSP and end up getting sacked. It won't happen this season but it will happen.

Hmm, strange if they are still doing it.I just effectively completely redid by squad and they are playing better than last seaspm. I have a massive squad though and rotate them so that I always have a team playing at close to 100% condition. This seems to help alot though I've still had some stupid games. An example being my most recent where we drew with the last place team at home. We drew 1-1 and they had one shot all game.

Hmm, strange if they are still doing it.I just effectively completely redid by squad and they are playing better than last seaspm. I have a massive squad though and rotate them so that I always have a team playing at close to 100% condition. This seems to help alot though I've still had some stupid games. An example being my most recent where we drew with the last place team at home. We drew 1-1 and they had one shot all game.

Well, if you look at the player stats, it will show they are playing better than previous seasons (they should be considering players are better). I also rotate them to try and get them close to 100% - I generally won't play someone if his fitness is below 90% (unless he's the only player available in the position). Yeah its annoying when they get one shot on target and get a result.
I've decided I am going to persevere with this game, despite its annoyances. Its gotta get better at some point surely, and failing that I can always quit to manage another club

My cut off is 95%, but I have two full teams. I intend to slaughter reserves league this year. Was so annoying as last year I was first in it until my cup runs made my schedule too tied up and I couldn't let my first team players play for reserves.

Good to hear you are persevering. Good luck!

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!

After 4 seasons in League 2, Eastbourne Borough have now hit the dizzying heights of....League 1. What an achievement. This season has finally brought the consistency that I have been craving. After an indeifferent start to the season, we went top of the league after match 12 and never looked back. A few of my young players are starting to look like good players.

My best signing of the close season was Jamie Ward who I got for free from Sheffield Wednesday and hit 29 goals in 51 appearances. I'd been looking for a regularly scoring striker since leaving the BSP 4 seasons ago. A great signing was Seyfo Soley - I'd read about him on this forum and luckily he came onto the market the previous summer. Picked him up for free and he has had an average rating of 6.99 for the last 2 seasons and chips in with the occassional odd goal.

The other big progress this season has been with the club's finances - an FA Cup run to the 4th round and an away tie to Liverpool. We lost the game comprehensively but got 700k in gate receipts which was welcome and the clubs coffers are healthy.

Now, we have to look to next season. The nucleus of the team is there (providing bigger teams don't steal my players - though they'll have to pay a hefty price if they want them) but the squad will still need strengthening. I don't know my budgets yet as the season has only just finished but I suspect it will be another case of looking for free signings. Not that I mind as I have become quite good at this (I have only spent 2k on players in 5 seasons)

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Thanks. Yeah I'm glad I persevered too. Too many times I thought what is the point? But its all been worth it....so far at least. Just have to see if we can stay in League 1 now

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Oh ****.....I thought that I had strengthened the team enough to vaguely compete in League 1 this season but I am so wrong. I wish now they hadn't been promoted cos at least we could win games in League 2. It would appear that the promotion was a fluke and the players aren't ready to play at a higher level despite all my best players saying they feel they ought to be playing at a higher level. Have played 3 games in League 1 so far and have managed 2 draws leaving us 20th in the table. I can't even bring in decent loan signings cos players suddenly don't want to go near my team. Hmmm.....not sure whats gonna happen this season...guess we'll just have to wait and see

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Okay. First of all can I say that next time I complain about my team not performing please, please, please, can someone get the Moderators to ban me for being a moron? Thanks

Now, since, my last rant about how bad my team sucked, I decided that the problem was with a lack of goals so I decided to alter the mentality of the team and went from 442Control to 442attacking, with more width being played. I was hoping this would work and it has. I am scoring loads more goals (conceding loads more too!) and am winning more games than I am losing. I am currently 4th in League 1 after 20 games and only 5 points off the leaders, am just about to play the JPT Southern Semi-final and am in the FA Cup 3rd round. So, all in all, the season hasn't been the disaster that I was expecting
grin.gif

<table id="post91811" class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_91811" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(88, 88, 88);"> Extract from The Herald Thursday 8th April 2014 (local newspaper):

EASTBOURNE BROUGHT TO A STANDSTILL

Eastbourne town centre was brought to a complete and total standstill this past Sunday when David Barrett and his team of heroes enjoyed an open top bus tour of the town in recognition of the team's achievements this year. Not only did they bring silverware back to the club in the form of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, but they also achieved promotion to the Championship. This was, unsurprisingly, hailed as a complete miracle as Barrett's men were expected to be relegated back to League 2.

Following on from the bus tour, the manager and his team then met the Mayor and other local dignitaries at the town hall before Mr Barrett was then given the key to the town by the Mayor, accompanied by rapturous applause.

We caught up with the Mayor shortly afterwards to hear his opinion:

"David Barrett has done this town extremely proud. Who would have thought that a mere six years ago, we had just been promoted to the Blue Square Premier and were expecting a season of struggle. The management of the club, at the time, felt a new manager was needed to give the club new momentum and that is exactly what we got. Mr Barrett has come in and improved the fortunes of this small club. He has also heightened the profile of the town of Eastbourne and this will, no doubt, increase tourism levels and improve the economics of the town. I'm sure I speak for everyone connected with Eastbourne when I say thankyou to David and his team for all their hard work and hope that the future holds even more success for the club"

A spokesman for Eastbourne Borough Football Club echoed the Mayor's thoughts and added:

"What Mr Barrett has achieved here is beyond out wildest dreams and we are extremely honoured to have such a successful manager leading the team. We would also like to thank Mr Barrett for staying with the club when offers from bigger clubs were being presented to him. This just shows that the pride of managing your local team means more to some people than how much money they can earn."

Fans were equally unanimous in their thoughts:

"The Manager is a hero to the fans of the club. We are living in a dreamworld at the moment"

"Having achieved what we have, who knows how far we can keep going with Barrett at the helm"

"YEAH!!!!! COME ON"

It is also well worth noting that, despite all the success at the club, Mr Barrett has managed it all on a shoestring budget. In his 6 years in charge of the club, he has a net transfer fee spend of just £2,000. Almost all the signings have been free and loan signings and, although money has been spent on signing on fees and so on, to have only spent £2,000 on transfer fees is absolutely astonishing. Because of this and the club's success, the club is now financially very healthy.

No-one know what the future holds for Eastbourne Borough Football Club but I think the whole town will now be dreaming of the Premiership and European football. This may seem like wishful dreaming but, as Mr Barrett has shown, anything is possible with the right person in charge.

Do you think I would make it as a reporter?
tongue.gif
. Seriously though, I was expecting a season of mediocrity and probable relegation, so to achieve promotion made me love this game again cos for a while I was really starting to hate it. We finished the season as joint 3rd top scorers and the 3rd best defense in the league. My best signing of the season was also the Fans Player Of The Season, Peter Murphy my left back. I got him on a free, he's 33, is very slow but is great at heading the ball. He scored 12 goals all season which I thought was impressive as he outscored most of my strikers, except for Jamie Ward who had another good season and finished with 24 goals.

On to this season now and I really have no expectations currently. AFter last season, I have no idea what will happen results wise. Where we will definitely struggle is financially. The stadium only holds 5000 which means that we will have the smallest stadium in the Championship, by some distance I believe (the next smallest is Blackpool with over 10,000 seats). Although, we will be at almost full capacity for most games (last season was an average attendance of 4700), its gonna take a long time before we are in a financially secure enough position to expand. The wage bill has doubled this season which is not gonna help.

Anyway, wish me luck on my continued journey

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:35 PM ----------

Thats now it for Eastbourne Boro for a while. Having been promoted to the Chamionship, I honestly thought that the team from last year with a couple of experienced additions would be able to manage a decent mid table finish. Unfortunately, it isn't happening that way. We are bottom of the table with 4 wins in 17, the new "experienced" players I bought in who are good Championship level players are playing as if Ryman League football is beyond their capabilities. My best players from last season are all playing the same way and the only players playing half decently are a centre half who I bought expecting him to be a first team player in 5 years and my 3rd choice GK who is just about a decent BSP player. I've changed the tactics to no avail, I've changed players around to no avail, I've encouraged the players, I've lost my temper with them but nothing seems to work. This leads me to believe that this is as far as I can take Eastbourne with the financial constraints I have. Although I feel I have built a decent team considering, it would have been much better if I had money to spend.

So, Eastbourne are now gonna spend some time on the substitut'es bench while I have a go with another club. I'm thinking maybe Brentford, but not sure yet
<!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(88, 88, 88) rgb(88, 88, 88); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;">
</td> <td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(88, 88, 88) rgb(88, 88, 88) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right"> <!-- controls --> http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/../../editpost.php?do=editpost&p=91811</td></tr></tbody></table>