Super Sports - Well, they might be eventually!

• Thread starter nursemorph
  • Start date
  • Replies 120
  • Views 13K
I've never cheated in the game as I've only had it for like a week now anyway :D lol.

Good Luck anyway.

Thanks. Now, I'm sure everybody knows what I am gonna say here. After writing my last post, I had a think about it and.....................decided to persevere with Eastbourne! OMG Shock! Horror! David has changed his mind again. I know, I know...I can be rather rash in my decisions sometimes especially when it involves computer games. Anyway, yes, I decided to stick with Eastbourne.

So, where were we? Oh Yes.....the dismal season continued and we ended up 23rd in the Championship (alienating the fans in the process due to declaring my interest in the Man City job even though I had no realistic chance of getting it....I know, what the **** was I thinking? oO)). So, back down to League 1 and after applying for a couple of jobs and twice having the board issue me an ultimatum: Resign or get sacked (I didn't resign and they didn't sack me......empty threats it seems), I decided to put all my concentration into getting Eastbourne back up to the Championship.

The board set me the target of a mid table finish so I'm not under pressure to produce straight away. Just as well really cos my best defender and best prospect left on a free cos he refused to sign a new contract as he wanted to move to a bigger club (son-of-a- :mad:). Okay, it was time to get over this setback. I got rid of one of my experienced signings as he didn't perform, another no-one wanted (he's retiring in a year but is draining the club at a princely sum of £4,800 a week in wages and it'll cost £150,000 to free transfer him) and I free transferred the 3rd. I've also free transferred one of my centre-backs as he missed training, considered my warning harsh and I was struggling enough with morale as it was. Asides from all this, my squad was intact from the previous season.

Time for squad improvements. I tried to get a few loan signings in but it was the usual story: Has no intention of going to Eastbourne. I did, however, manage to bring in 2: aright winger from Portsmouth and a central defender from Arsenal (both decent back-ups). This season, I decided I was going to spend some money on players, so I bought in a new striker (Fabio Zamblera) from Central Coast Mariners for £50k (now the best striker in the squad). That was it for transfer fees (big spending this manager!). I also bought in Colin Graham (LB/RB) (no club) and Javier (MC) (Castilla) on frees.

Squad list:
picture.php
Transfers:
picture.php

As I said pre-season expectations were of a mid-table finish so I wasn't expecting too much. Pre-season friendlies were a mixed bag:

Dumbarton 1-0 Eastbourne - the game was even but we had one shot on target from 12
Darlington 0-5 Eastbourne - 19 shots, 7 on target, 61% possession
Eastbourne 0-5 Livingston - A heavy defeat, even on possession but their clinical edge in fron of goal proved crucial
Eastbourne 1-3 Southampton - Again, an evenly matched game showed our shortcomings in goal threat.

Pre-season didn't exactly fill me with high expectations for the season:

A 1-0 home win against Southampton (delighted after the shambles in the game in pre-season) followed by a 3-0 home win against Wycombe (League Cup against League 2 opponents) had me getting excited. This was then followed by a 1-1 draw away to Bournemouth and a 4-1 home win over Tranmere (5 shots on target, 4 goals, a marvellous hat-trick for Zamblera. Now onto a Home League Cup tie against Charlton (Championship) - we dominated the game (53% possession, 13 shots, 3 on target to their 6 shots, 4 on target) and were unfortunate to lose 1-0 to a 90th minute goal. Never mind, less games to worry about (I'm not too bothered about the League Cup cos money wise the money is in the FA Cup). 3 days later we played Crystal Palace away in the League and suffered a humiliating 2-0 defeat (we managed 56% of possession but they had 21 shots of which 7 were on target to our 9 shots and 1 on target). At this point, I started to get a little suspicious of the tactics I was using.

Anyway, the end of August and we were 9th in the League which I though was respectable. Zamblera was starting to settle in, although I was concerned that the hat-trick were his only goals so far.

Onto September and the results:

Away (JPT - 1st round) Wycombe 1-2 Eastbourne: 2 goals from Hutton
Home (League) Eastbourne 1-1 Stockport: Javier (pen)
Away (League) Accrington 1-2 Eastbourne: Norwood, Clayton
Home (League) Eastbourne 1-1 Scunthorpe: Clayton
Home (League) Eastbourne 1-1 Bradford: Zamblera

As you can see, it was a mixed month. I messed about a bit with the tactics and we were dominating games but not scoring the goals to win them and then conceding easy goals (something to think about). Clayton (Striker) has started to chip in with goals, Javier has settled quickly and Hutton is have a storming time and is my player of the month

October:

Away (League) Doncaster 1-1 Eastbourne: Javier.

At this point, with 4 1-1 draws in the last 5 games made me rethink tactics. Although we were on a 6 game unbeaten run, too many games we dominated and didn't win. I decided to search the Tactics downloads and decided that JPWoody's Clough Tactic would probably best suit my team. I implemented them along with setting GK distribution to "defender collect" and set thro ins to "short". As it was a new tactic, which was a slow methodical pace rather than the quick I normally play, I thought the players might struggle so I decided to give it 2 months to allow them to adjust. I also adjusted the training of every player to incorporate a high inensity of ball control as well as their traditional training (hoping they would improve and thus pass better) and bought in a new coach specifically to teach ball control.

Home (JPT - 2nd Round) Eastbourne 2-0 Barnet: Ward, Clayton (56% posession, 14 shots, 4 on target)
Away (League) Gillingham 0-2 Eastbourne: Symes, Norwood. I was ecstatic by this result as we were expected to lose heavily. 61% possession, 7 shot, 4 on target. They had 11 shots but only 1 on target
Home (League) Eastbourne 2-0 MK Dons: Clayton (2). Again, dominated both in shots and possession

So far so good for the new tactics. Scoring goals but, more importantly, not conceding. The team is doing a fantastic job of stifling the opposition. Even the wingers are playing well despite the fact that width has changed from extremely wide to very narrow. I'm guessing it allows them to express themselves more with the freedom. Now up to 5th in the table

Away (League) Shrewsbury 2-1 Eastbourne: Moore (pen). Was disappointed with this result as we dominated: 59% possession, 19 shots, 6 on taget, 8 blocked to their: 10 shots, 5 on target. Again, doubts creeping in about my strike force.
Home (League) Eastbourne 2-0 Morecombe: Symes, Hutton. Best display of the season so far: 56% possession, 21 shots, 10 on target, 7 blocked, 6 clear cut chances.

This is as far as I am now. I have an away game to Bristol City next which should be interesting. We are in 5th place in the League (5 points off Bristol City in 1st), not conceding as many as before but perhaps not scoring as many as we should. Zamblera has been injured for a few weeks and will be back in about 6, so I'm looking forward to his return. In the meantime, as long as we are winning, I guess I can't complain too much.

*Update*

Away (League) Bristol City 1-0 Eastbourne. We dominated with 60% possession but both teams had 11 shots, 6 on target. I'm not too disappointed by the result cos it was only 1-0. With previous tactics, it would have been 3-0 or 4-0
Home (League) Eastbourne 3-0 Preston: Hutton, Crawford, Clayton. We dominated this game and the 3 goal win was not flattering at all.

That was the last fixture of October and I was disappointed that none of my players were Player Of The Month (or even in the top three), Clayton was runner up in Goal Of The Month. We remain 5th, 6 points behind the leaders Crystal Palace. My player of the month has been Javier: 6 Appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 MOM. He has been bossing my midfield alongside Norwood. Norwood holds while Javier can do his thing.

Next update at the end of November

Last edited:
wooooooooooow.outstanding ....congrats..can you upload this fantastic tactic? i would like to historify Hampton & Richmond

November:

Home (JPT SF) Eastbourne 6-0 Gillingham: Javier, Symes, Moore, Ward (2), Clayton. An outstanding game and a complete shock to score so many but we did have 31 shots, 16 on target. Without doubt, the best performance and result since I started
Away (FA Cup 1st Round) Wycombe 0-3 Eastbourne: Moore, Norwood (2). An oustanding performance from my defensive midfielder
Away (League) Carlisle 0-0 Eastbourne. 9 shots, none on target. Disappointing
Away (League) Rochdale 1-1 Eastbourne: Moore. Dominant but no end product
Home (League) Eastbourne 2-1 Sheffield United: Scharf, Clayton. Dominant, shoulda won by more
Home (FA Cup 2nd round) Eastbourne 0-0 Gillingham. 16 shots, 4 on target. No end product against the team we beat 6-0 at the start of the month. Extremely disappointing.

Currently sitting 4th in the League, in the draw for the FA Cup 3rd round (In it proper if we beat Gillingham in the replay) and in the JPT Semi-Final. Player Of The Month for the club I feel was Norwood, just for his outstanding display in the FA Cup game and has been solid for the rest of the games. Young Player Of The Month in the League was Scharf who was solid all month.

My main concern at the moment is the lack of goals to kill teams off. I feel that this problem cost us 5 points in the League last month as we should have won all 3 games. Perhaps next month they will improve. Zamblera has just returned to fitness so hopefully he will start scoring the goals once he gets the match fitness back.

December:

Away (League) Walsall 2-1 Eastbourne: Zamblera. Dominated possession, they dominated shots
Away (FA Cup 2nd Round Replay) Gillingham 0-2 Eastbourne: Clayton (2). Total domination both posession and shots - could've scored more
Home (League) Eastbourne 3-0 Hartlepool: Clayton (2), Scharf. Same again
Home (JPT Semi) Eastbourne 1-0 Crystal Palace: Clayton. Same again
Away (League) Swindon 0-0 Eastbourne. Frustration as 1 shot out of 15 on target
Home (League) Eastbourne 4-0 Plymouth: Clayton (4). 22 shots, 10 on target
Away (League) Southampton 1-2 Eastbourne: Williams, Norwood. A tense and evenly contested match. Williams scored on 85 minutes for what I thought was the winner. Southampton replied on 87 minutes to leave my joy shortlived but...Norwood popped up with the winner on 90+2 minutes. **** Yeah!!!

Asides from the Walsall game and the Swindon game, it has been a good month. We're through to the JPT Southern Final (against Bristol City - my nemesis), 5th in the League and we've scored a fair few goals. Despite this, I am concerned still with my strikeforce - the Swindon game exposed their deficiencies. Player Of The Month was, undoubtedly, John Clayton who scored an incredible 9 goals in his last 6 appearances. Disturbingly, he is now out for 4 weeks with a fractured arm - I suspect we may struggle unless my other players step up to the plate.
The League 1 Player Of The Month was Oliver Norwood and 3rd place in Young Player Of The Month was John McGowan (GK).

Onwards and upwards as they say. I would like to try and bring in a better striker in the transfer window but I am over my wage budget and have no trasnfer funds, so shall have to see if I can get a decent one on loan

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:34 PM ----------

January Update:

Away (FA Cup 3rd Round) MK Dons 0-2 Eastbourne: Ward, Welsh
Home (League) Eastbourne 0-0 Bournemouth. 14 shots, 4 on target
Away (League) Cambridge 1-2 Eastbourne: Williams (2). Both teams had 11 shots, 3 on target
Away (League) Tranmere 0-0 Eastbourne. 20 shots on goal, 2 on target
Away (JPT South Final 1st Leg) Bristol City 2-1 Eastbourne: Williams. They scored the winner on 90+2 minutes. We had 6 shots on target to their 4
Away (FA Cup 4th Round) Newcastle 3-0 Eastbourne. Pleased with the performance
Away (League) Stockport 0-0 Eastbourne. 9 shots, 0 on target
Home (League) Eastbourne 1-1 Accrington: Ward. We had 7 shots on target to their 2

Still 5th in the League, with a chance in the JPT, out of the FA Cup (but the gate receipts helped). Player Of The Month I suppose must go to McGowan , my goalkeeper who kept 4 clean sheets in 7 games.

I'm not particularly happy with this month. Yes, we are now on a League unbeaten run of 9 games but lack of composure in front of goal has cost us so many points. I'm really starting to worry that we won't be able to make the play-offs if we continue being goal shy. Even having Clayton back for 2 matches hasn't helped. I feel this is the major area of the squad that needs help but I can't do anything about it. I wanted to bring in better strikers in the transfer window but I'm way over my wage budget so it'll have to wait till the summer. The problem is I can't attract good strikers to my team: they won't come on loan and they won't sign for me either. I just tried to sign Macheda (not that good but probably better than my other strikers) on £4k a week wages which I though was decent. But instead he signed for Columbus Crew on £2.5k a week. How can I compete if they are willing to go to other clubs for less money?

Oh, well. At least I've managed to get McGowan and Clayton to sign new contracts as I didn't want to lose them in the Summer like last season with my best defender.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:34 PM ----------

Another update for those still interested:

February:

Away (League) Scunthorpe 0-2 Eastbourne: Williams (2)
Home (League) Eastbourne 2-0 Doncaster: Williams, Clayton
Home (League) Eastbourne 0-0 Crystal Palace
Home (League) Eastbourne 3-1 Gillingham: Clayton (2), Norwood
Home (JPT Semi 2nd Leg) Eastbourne 1-0 Bristol City. Won on away goals
Away (League) Bradford 1-2 Eastbourne: Clayton (2)
Away (League MK Dons 1-0 Eastbourne. Zero shots on target

February was a pretty good month. Continued unbeaten until the Dons stopped our 15 match unbeaten league run which had stretched back till 5th December. Through to the JPT Final. Player Of The Month I guess was Clayton with his 5 goals. McGowan was 2nd place in Young Player Of The Month and Williams got Runner Up in Goal Of The Month. We are sitting in 3rd place in the League. My strikers have finally started to bang in a few goals - lets hope it continues.

March:

Home (League) Eastbourne 0-1 Shrewsbury
Away (League) Morecombe 1-1 Eastbourne: Norwood
Home (League) Eastbourne 1-1 Bristol City: Welsh
Away (League) Preston 1-1 Eastbourne: Spence
Home (League) Eastbourne 1-1 Rochdale: Zamblera
Away (League) Sheffield Utd 0-0 Eastbourne
Home (League) Eastbourne 3-1 Carlisle: Symes, Navarro, Javier

An indifferent month summed up by 5 draws out of 7. At least we are back on an unbeaten run after those 2 defeats at the beginning of the month. Zamblera scored for the first time in God knows how long (well early December). Curently 5th in the League. My Player Of The Month had to be McGowan as he kept us in a lot of those games where we could have lost but he earned us the points. He was 3rd in the Young Player Of The Month for the League.

Again, it is the lack of goals that is starting to haunt me and I think the AI is starting to adapt to my tactics cos we are not dominating games like before. Oh well, onwards and upwards

Last edited:
what happened to ward in feb and march ?

He has only been used as a substitute recently cos he hasn't been performing. My preferred combination at the moment is Clayton and Williams and they are currently my top scorers.

A shame after the 29 goals Ward scored for you the last season, I try to stay loyal to big scorers, kind of wanting a shearer at my club, they always loose form and go **** at some point though.
Thats an awesome game you got going though, hopfully my Basingstoke game will be that good and I'll stick with it

A shame after the 29 goals Ward scored for you the last season, I try to stay loyal to big scorers, kind of wanting a shearer at my club, they always loose form and go **** at some point though.
Thats an awesome game you got going though, hopfully my Basingstoke game will be that good and I'll stick with it

I wanted to stay loyal to him and play him but he wasn't scoring the goals and Clayton and Williams are the ones scoring so I had to go with them. Plus they are both a lot younger than Ward so they will be at the club for longer.
Now sure if I'd call it awesome. Interesting would be a better way of putting it. Its the first time I have played a LLM game on FM without cheating and its the longest I've ever played a game on any Football Management game (my previous longest was 4 seasons). The problem is I don't feel the club are really progressing - I mean, yes we have had promotions, trophies etc and the clubs profile has improved. But, the finances are no better now than they were in the 3rd season, the clubs facilities are the same as at the start cos I haven't been in a good enough financial position to ask the Board to upgrade. Realistically, if I can get a couple of years of successive Championship football, then the finances might improve enough. This is the main thing that is starting to annoy me

Thanks. Yeah, I'm glad I stuck with it too and also that I stopped posting so many of my gripes with it lol

Well done mate especially after getting oyour now knocking on thut of league 2...i see the door to the championship. keep it up a good read to.

April:

Neutral (JPT Final) Carlisle 0-2 Eastbourne: Neilson (OG), Scharf
Home (League) Eastbourne 2-1 Walsall: Welsh (2)
Away (League) Hartlepool 0-1 Eastbourne: Zamblera
Home (League) Eastbourne 3-2 Swindon: Small, Welsh, Norwood. Was 1-0 up after 29 Minutes, 2-1 down after 52 Minutes, Norwood scored the winner on 86 Minutes. Delighted
Away (League) Plymouth 0-4 Eastbourne: Zamblera (2), Barnett, O'Brien (OG). The result of the season. Not even expected to draw. Had 5 shots on target. My players were clinical
Home (League) Eastbourne 2-1 Cambridge: Small, Barnett

League final position of 3rd, so into the play-offs which I am delighted with given our recent indifferent form. Finished the season strongly with an unbeaten run of 12 games in all competitions and final 6 games in the League were all wins. Zamblera has chipped in for a few important goals.

Barnett was my Player Of The Month. The Eastbourne captain, he has been in and out of the side for much of the season but due to injuries and suspensions to my first choice centre backs, he has come in and performed superbly. McGowan was 3rd in the League's Young Player Of The Month Award...again. I managed to get 2nd in the Manager Of The Month...only the 2nd time I've got in the top 3 all season.

Now we've got the Play-offs to contend with. Awaiting the draw but I think I will be facing Bristol City in the Semi's which will be a couple of intense matches.

Just wondering has any Prem teams offered you a job yet.

Just wondering has any Prem teams offered you a job yet.

That would be a no! I've had offers from Championship sides but not from Premiership which I'm actually quite surprised about because I have a National reputation (which in itself is bizarre cos I have a better reputation than the club now oO))

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Update:

Away (League Play Off Semi 1st Leg) Bradford 3-1 Eastbourne: Sheppard. A disappointing game, they only had 4 shots on target. McGowan was missing on International Duty.
Home (League Play Off Semi 2nd Leg) Eastbourne 2-0 Bradford: Spence (OG), Barnett. This was a cracking game and it was 3-3 on aggregate after 90 minutes. Having used all 3 subs already, I was down to 10 men after 99 minutes due to injury and then down to 9 men on 113 minutes again due to injury. The game went to a Penalty Shootout in the end:

Clayton - Missed
Hutton - Scored
Norwood - Scored
Bennett - Scored
Navarro - Scored

We won 4-2 in the end due to 2 fine saves from my back-up keeper Filip Mentel who was outstanding. A bit disappointed that the only player who missed was also the only striker to attempt a penalty.

Neutral (League 1 Play-Off Final) Eastbourne 0-1 Shrewsbury. Disappointed as we dominated the game and I really though we would be successful. Having said that, they only won because of a penalty.

So, we are consigned to another season of Mediocrity in League 1 ****. Where do we go from here? Well, the first thing will be to reduce the wage budget because it is crippling the club. A couple of players will be out of contract at the end of the season so I will not renew (even though one is one of my best wingers). Clayton and McGowan both now have prohibitive Minimum Release Clauses of £5Million in their contracts so they won't be leaving (Unless Money Bags Man City try to buy them - but I don't think even Man City are going to buy them as they are not good enough for Prem).

Defensively we are very good having conceded the fewest goals in the League this season so I see no need to change things. Offensively, and especially strikers, is where I will look to strengthen. We were 6th highest scorers in the League but that is not enough. Generally, I am pleased with my Midfield - they score goals and create them (although if I can improve it then I will). The aim is to get the squad size down from 29 to around 20-23. Bring on Pre-season

2016-2017 Season:

Pre-Season:

I decided to go down the route of trying to arrange Friendly Leagues to boost the clubs finances so, after 30 minutes of inviting just about every club in the land and struggling to get any to come, I started offering clubs £10k and £20k to please, please, please come and play...and they did. The main clubs I managed to con were Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Leeds, along with a selection of clubs ranging from League 1 to BSP. Thus, the first ever Sports League, Herald League and Sports League 2 were introduced (I know, not very imaginative am I?!:p)

First off, the Sports League:

Eastbourne 4-2 Cardiff: Scharf, Barnett, Hayes, Ward
Eastbourne 1-1 Portsmouth: Crawford
Eastbourne 0-2 Leeds

Portsmouth were worthy Champions, we were 3rd

The Herald League:

Eastbourne 2-0 Scunthorpe: Ward (2)
Eastbourne 3-2 Rotherham: Clayton (2), Leary
Eastbourne 2-0 Bristol Rovers: Barnett, Ward

We ended up Champions. Woohoo!

The Sports League 2

Eastbourne 3-1 Wycombe: Navarro, Javier, Crawford
Eastbourne 3-1 Darlington: Navarro, Leary, Ward
Eastbourne 2-2 Aston Villa: Welsh, Norwood

Villa were Champions over us by virtue of goal difference.

I have been delighted by pre-season and the results we have managed considering they have been playing 3 games over 3 days for each tournament. My Player of pre-season has been Ward who scored 5 goals in 9 appearances (all appearances were 45 minutes long so essentially he scored 5 in 4.5 games)

The other most pleasing effect has been on the club's finances as the 3 Leagues brought in a combined total of £707,849 in Gate Receipts. I think next season I shall try to get more bigger teams for more money into the coffers. The Club's bank account now has £2.7M which is good.

Transfers:

In:
Leary (MC/AMC/FC) - Loan from Aston Villa. In pre-season he has been excellent in Central Midfield
Briggs (AML/AMR) - Loan from Man Utd. Brought in as a back-up player
Banks (GK) - Free. He's almost as good as my main GK McGowan. Aerial ability of 19

Out:
Symes (DC) - Free. Moved on a free to Dundee Utd after contract expiry. Didn't want to lose him as was my best defender last season but wouldn't sign a new contract
Murphy (LB) - Free. Released after contract expiry as age now 35
Moore (MLC/AMLC) - 20k to Leicester. My backup has become better
Mentel (GK) - 250k to Artmedia. Wasn't happy not being first choice. Offered to them for £250k, they accepted (surprising as only worth £18k). Plus got a better GK on a free so £250k pure profit!:D

The plan for the rest of the transfer window is to try and bring in a couple more loan signings and maybe sell one or two players that I feel I can let leave for a decent amount of money.

Media prediction for the League this season is 5th although apparently we are favourites for promotion, which makes no sense but there we go. Board are demanding at least a play-off place.

good to see you are working on being a good manager the hard way...so your success is even sweeter....hope you get promotion next season...you can well publish a book then...on your trials and tribulations as Eastbourne manager ;)

On of few threads subscribed to that and Basingstoke and Blyth. It looked like you were not able to act on 1-1 nick a winner have you thought of moving 2 midfields upfront for the last 5 - 10 mins try nick a goal?