Szczesny injury blow for Arsenal

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 68
  • Views Views 4K
I'm sorry but isn't that hypocritical? Arsenal are one of the worst teams in the world for cheating and diving.

Anyway I do feel sorry for you guys now. Only Almunia left to play in goal. Just highlights how important it was for Wenger to get a GK in the summer which he failed to do, hopefully for you he'll manage to get one this summer.

Yeah, they have their faults, but they are no way the worst in the world. Don't resort to hyperbole.

Wojciech looks a top talent. Would he have got the chance if Wenger had bought a new keeper? No. More to the point, at what point has he lost Wenger points this season? You could blame him for the mistake in the CC final, but that was as much (if not more) Koscielny's fault.

Why should he have bought a goalie ?

We had four in the summer Almunia, Fabianski, Mannone and Szczensy no one knew in March 3 would be injured.

Also he wont buy a goalie in the summer as we have Szczensy

Because lets face it none of them are top quality GK. Szczensy has been doing well but if you want to win the title and some trophies you need someone like Given whose got experience. Plus there are better GK's out there whilst Szczensy develops.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Yeah, they have their faults, but they are no way the worst in the world. Don't resort to hyperbole.

Wojciech looks a top talent. Would he have got the chance if Wenger had bought a new keeper? No. More to the point, at what point has he lost Wenger points this season? You could blame him for the mistake in the CC final, but that was as much (if not more) Koscielny's fault.

Just stating my opinion of what I've seen over the last 10 or so years.

Granted he can be a good keeper but he would benefit from having an experienced world class GK at the club to learn from. For example if he'd have got Given or Schwarzer (sp) he would have had them to learn from and developed better over time.

Because lets face it none of them are top quality GK. Szczensy has been doing well but if you want to win the title and some trophies you need someone like Given whose got experience. Plus there are better GK's out there whilst Szczensy develops.

He's 20. He has AT LEAST ten years before he reaches his full potential. Shay Given is overrated as ****. He pulls off some stunning reflex saves but the rest of his game is limited.

Granted he can be a good keeper but he would benefit from having an experienced world class GK at the club to learn from. For example if he'd have got Given or Schwarzer (sp) he would have had them to learn from and developed better over time.

If Schwarzer and Given - good keepers though they are - are world-class, I hate to think what Iker Casillas is...

He's 20. He has AT LEAST ten years before he reaches his full potential. Shay Given is overrated as ****. He pulls off some stunning reflex saves but the rest of his game is limited.

If Schwarzer and Given - good keepers though they are - are world-class, I hate to think what Iker Casillas is...

I know he's not going to reach full potential for a while but you can't expect a 20 year old to be in a trophy winning side.

OK maybe not World Class but imo better than their current batch of keepers.

I know he's not going to reach full potential for a while but you can't expect a 20 year old to be in a trophy winning side.

Why not? If we take the example of Casillas, he had won the Champions League at the age of 20 (IIRC).

Sure they're better than their current batch of keepers (though not by a huge margin), but equally they're ageing. Given is 35, Schwarzer is around 40. Arsene is building for the future, and the more game time Chesney gets the better he will be.

We need an expierenced keeper, Almunia's old but still ****.
Wenger should try harder to sign someone like Given or Schwarzer

I'm sorry but isn't that hypocritical? Arsenal are one of the worst teams in the world for cheating and diving.

Anyway I do feel sorry for you guys now. Only Almunia left to play in goal. Just highlights how important it was for Wenger to get a GK in the summer which he failed to do, hopefully for you he'll manage to get one this summer.

No. Did you watch the game last night?

It really doesn't at all. Like Calum and Godcubed said that would've seriously hindered Szczesny's career. It's great having a good exp. keeper to worth with and all, but the best thing is to have match exp. which is what he's had and deserved.

What clubs have 3 quality GKs? For me, we have one very good young keeper, and Fabianski, who did brilliantly before his injury, and Almunia. Barca have Valdes, who is quality, then Pinto, who isn't, and no other FT goalkeeper.

Utd have VDS, then Kuczcack (sp.) and Lindegaard - The former isn't really that great, the latter has no PL experience at all.

Chelsea have Cech, and Hilario.. Hilario really isn't that good and Turnbull is 3rd choice :/

Only City with their ridiculous wealth have 2 very good GKs in Given and Hart.

Schwarzer is nowhere NEAR world-class, and City wouldn't sell Given.

I think you can. When he plays that well, there's no reason why not.

Why not? If we take the example of Casillas, he had won the Champions League at the age of 20 (IIRC).

Sure they're better than their current batch of keepers (though not by a huge margin), but equally they're ageing. Given is 35, Schwarzer is around 40. Arsene is building for the future, and the more game time Chesney gets the better he will be.

OK but your not telling me they're going to be as good as Casillas? Sorry but in my opinion I don't think they will be. If it turns out i'm wrong then fine, congratulations to them.

They could still provide some valuable experience and help guide the younger GK's. I know Wenger likes to build but I still think an experienced keeper would help.

I may be wrong and if I am then well done Wenger and Arsenal. It's about time their fans had some success to celebrate, and they are the best footballing team in England.

Exactly the example I was going to use. Look how Casillas has done - he's been one of the best in the world for a while now, even if his form this year hasn't been so great (apparently)

We need an expierenced keeper, Almunia's old but still ****.
Wenger should try harder to sign someone like Given or Schwarzer

It's not Football Manager. If a team won't sell, they won't sell and Schwarzer isn't worth the asking price.. City won't sell Given and don't have to.

OK but your not telling me they're going to be as good as Casillas? Sorry but in my opinion I don't think they will be. If it turns out i'm wrong then fine, congratulations to them.

They could still provide some valuable experience and help guide the younger GK's. I know Wenger likes to build but I still think an experienced keeper would help.

I may be wrong and if I am then well done Wenger and Arsenal. It's about time their fans had some success to celebrate, and they are the best footballing team in England.

We don't know yet, but either way I didn't say anything about them being as good as Casillas. My point was if they're good enough, they should play, simple as.

Almunia isn't experienced now?

It really doesn't at all. Like Calum and Godcubed said that would've seriously hindered Szczesny's career. It's great having a good exp. keeper to worth with and all, but the best thing is to have match exp. which is what he's had and deserved.

What clubs have 3 quality GKs? For me, we have one very good young keeper, and Fabianski, who did brilliantly before his injury, and Almunia. Barca have Valdes, who is quality, then Pinto, who isn't, and no other FT goalkeeper.

Utd have VDS, then Kuczcack (sp.) and Lindegaard - The former isn't really that great, the latter has no PL experience at all.

Chelsea have Cech, and Hilario.. Hilario really isn't that good and Turnbull is 3rd choice :/

I agree that Barca are cheats as well, just I think Arsenal are similar.

He could also have benefited from it slightly. Granted teams don't have 3 top goalkeepers, but most top sides have experienced ones.

Wenger is experienced he'll probably prove me wrong and show that he didn't need to buy one, i'm just stating my opinion.

3 Quality keepers? None of them proven anything. Among 3, 1 is dog bollocks.
Fabianski had half good season, that too with mistakes, Szczesny is looking good, but too young and has not played much to call him quality.

And TK is better than fabianski. Fabianski is very young, but at this point of time, TK is better.

And GK position is not about having few good prospects, it is about having 1 quality experienced GK.

Almunia is experienced but not that great. Szczensy is better than him and Arsenal could have someone better to learn from than Almunia.

3 Quality keepers? None of them proven anything. Among 3, 1 is dog bollocks.
Fabianski had half good season, that too with mistakes, Szczesny is looking good, but too young and has not played much to call him quality.

And TK is better than fabianski. Fabianski is very young, but at this point of time, TK is better.

And GK position is not about having few good prospects, it is about having 1 quality experienced GK.

You misunderstand my point. He says we needed to buy a GK in the Summer or whatever, I say - There's no need; he trusted (rightfully it seems judging on his pre-injury performances) Fabianski, and knew how good Szczesny could be.

Therefore - why spend money when we don't need to? No clubs have 3 quality GKs because they don't need 3 most of the time.

Ideally, Almunia would be brilliant, but alas, he's not. I know the position isn't about having several prospects/GKs which is exactly my point.

Almunia is experienced but not that great. Szczensy is better than him and Arsenal could have someone better to learn from than Almunia.

The best way to learn is by playing. It holds true for Wilshere, and it inevitably holds even truer for GKs.

Just to clarify, I fully expect Szczesny to be one of the better keepers in England, but for now he has not got the big game experience you need from a keeper. Thats why the Buffon's, Valdes', etc are highly rated while your keepers are not.

Look at this way, who was in goal last time you won something?

You misunderstand my point. He says we needed to buy a GK in the Summer or whatever, I say - There's no need; he trusted (rightfully it seems judging on his pre-injury performances) Fabianski, and knew how good Szczesny could be.

Therefore - why spend money when we don't need to? No clubs have 3 quality GKs because they don't need 3 most of the time.

Ideally, Almunia would be brilliant, but alas, he's not. I know the position isn't about having several prospects/GKs which is exactly my point.

Fair enough. I just read your post.:)

Just to clarify, I fully expect Szczesny to be one of the better keepers in England, but for now he has not got the big game experience you need from a keeper. Thats why the Buffon's, Valdes', etc are highly rated while your keepers are not.

Look at this way, who was in goal last time you won something?

Crazy Jens.

I know what your point is, but mine is that he's going to get better, quicker with game exp. then he is by learning from someone else. He's better than Almunia, Fabianski, and probably Jens at times too.

. Shay Given is overrated as ****. He pulls off some stunning reflex saves but the rest of his game is limited.

If Shay Given isnt world class, then i dont know what that makes 15 other number 1s in the league.

Back