Szczesny injury blow for Arsenal

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 68
  • Views Views 4K
Quick question here and i was thinking about this earlier. Wenger bought back a 41year old keeper who hasent played for what 9 months and its no secret that he and one of your current keepers arnt too fond of each other. So surely thats not good for morale etc etc. But a had a branwave the other day, Arsenal were allowed to sign a keeper and opted for mad Jens when ex Brazilian keeper Dida is currently a free agent and is only 37??

Quick question here and i was thinking about this earlier. Wenger bought back a 41year old keeper who hasent played for what 9 months and its no secret that he and one of your current keepers arnt too fond of each other. So surely thats not good for morale etc etc. But a had a branwave the other day, Arsenal were allowed to sign a keeper and opted for mad Jens when ex Brazilian keeper Dida is currently a free agent and is only 37??

Fair point I suppose, but knowing Arsene he tends to go for oldies that have already played (first Sol, now Jens). I think it was suitable to bring him in as he was in London at the time doing coaching so Arsene's looking to help Jens by Jens helping Arsenal, if that makes sense? Still, good point.

Fair point I suppose, but knowing Arsene he tends to go for oldies that have already played (first Sol, now Jens). I think it was suitable to bring him in as he was in London at the time doing coaching so Arsene's looking to help Jens by Jens helping Arsenal, if that makes sense? Still, good point.

Yer thats one thing i thought of that he likes to pick the players he knows. I just thought Dida would have been a better choice in keeping terms.

Clearly he figured that Jens would be:

a) Cheaper - training with Arsenal anyway, so we only need employ him on a running contract til the end of the season & I doubt he asked for much money.. I get the feeling Dida might've asked for more somehow. (No particular reason)

b) Experienced in the PL, at Arsenal - Knows the pace of the game, even if he's been out for a while & would be more adept, if he had to step in, at having a higher defensive line in front of him: We've played with a high line for years, and I somehow doubt that Dida's experience with Maldini and Nesta would be especially similar ;)

c) Inspiration? - Almunia performed better when he took the #1 jersey from Jens all those years ago - Maybe AW figured he would be even more determined to play well (unfortunately he's just as bad/seems distracted)

d) Quite jokes? - If we're not going to win a trophy, we may as well give the fans something to laugh about before all the negativity and WENGER OUT campaigns begin again (H)

I don't think it was that odd a decision tbh - The easy option as well.. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't: We've not seen him play yet, if we will at all & we've only had 1 very Almunia-ish game to go by so far in terms of morale.

And, to be honest, even I was scared about seeing Lehmann in the goal again, how would I've been if Dida had been the cosen one.... :facepalm:

I've never rated Dida at all.

Yer thats one thing i thought of that he likes to pick the players he knows. I just thought Dida would have been a better choice in keeping terms.

Jens is better than Dida mate. Dida at his peak was better but he has gone back so much with the age it is unreal. He can't collect cross without fluffing it. He is too error prone. IMO Jens was better pick and also Jens was Arsenal player before so he knows the place and the club well than Dida.

I really feel sorry for Szczesny...He was playing absolutely amazing for Arsenal and at times keeping us in games! We had finally found a solid keeper for our team to rely on and have faith in..Also he is very young and with the likes of David Seaman at the club coaching he could become one of the world's greatest keepers!!! With the **** up of the carling cupfianl he needed games coming thick and fast to build his confidence back up :/ and so to get this injury will have really buggered up his mental and physical state in terms of top class football..........

HOPE YOU GET MATCH SOON SZCZESNY!!!! BY THE LOOKS OF THINGS, WE NEED U!

Back