[TACTICAL DISCUSSION] Formations with great results in FM14

Hector89

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Please share your formation with which you got the best results in FM14 along with some screenshots in this page.

My best formation is a modified version of the TATA MARTINO's tactic with 2 DMs. Will post screens soon :)

I used to win solid with a 4-2-2-2 but now it seems more difficult. I am still wining but not as smoothly as before. I use a normal backline with to fullbacks and to central defenders. 2 defensiv midfielders. 2 wingers. 2 attckers (advanced forward and deep lying forward). I play attack and fluid.

It seems though that the game has noticed my tactic and started to adjusting to stop me from wining. So i now need to change something but I have noticed that wining without at least a defensiv midfielder is a no go so at least i now that i have to keep that with the two I have. Maybe I will start playing a deep 4-2-3-1. And oh yeah I play man city.

And my tactic is very much inspired by the ariggo sachii tactic :)

Alright fellas, This is my third season with Schalke. I used two tactics this season. For the first half, Iused Tata MArtino's tactic as it was. See the screenshot below:

View attachment 449275View attachment 449274

I did not have Kroos that season. I had Candreva at the right wing. He was just fantastic. He played 2 seasons and was just brilliant. I had a contract problem with him and he wanted to leave from Schalke. So sold him to the Merengues for 30M pounds. I wanted to keep him though. Leon Goretzka was my AP and Gotze was my False 9. I used this setup until December and look at the results.

View attachment 449271

This was excellent. But the players I had in attack were Gotze, Timo Werner, Max Meyer and a couple of excellent Regens. See their Screen shots below.

View attachment 449270View attachment 449269

I had very less players who were excellent in the central midfield. So, the obvious answer was to adopt a 4-2-3-1 and use Werner as a striker and Gotze in the hole. But, I have had really bad experiences with the traditional European formation. Hence, I decided to use 2 DMs instead of 2 CMs. This made more sense since I had Lars who was an Anchor man already and I love a Regista. He is aggressive and the best weapon who should be in your arsenal when you adopt a possession tactic with a high defensive line. I had Strootman. So I could use 3 players behind the striker, for which players were waiting in queue. Hence, I tweaked my tactic a little bit. See the screen shots below:

View attachment 449264

Below are the results:

View attachment 449263View attachment 449262

Two more promising Regens' screen shots are below:

View attachment 449260View attachment 449259

This is the best formation I have had :)

Last edited:
@Mancity90: Mate, could you post some screen shots?

I had very less players who were excellent in the central midfield. So, the obvious answer was to adopt a 4-2-3-1 and use Werner as a striker and Gotze in the hole. But, I have had really bad experiences with the traditional European formation. Hence, I decided to use 2 DMs instead of 2 CMs. This made more sense since I had Lars who was an Anchor man already and I love a Regista. He is aggressive and the best weapon who should be in your arsenal when you adopt a possession tactic with a high defensive line. I had Strootman. So I could use 3 players behind the striker, for which players were waiting in queue. Hence, I tweaked my tactic a little bit. See the screen shots below:

View attachment 431375

Below are the results:

View attachment 431378View attachment 431379

View attachment 431382View attachment 431383

Could you test this from the beggining and if its still good release it?

Could you test this from the beggining and if its still good release it?

Sure thing, mate. Tata MArtino's tactic was already tested. Just search in the tactics page. You will find it :). My tweak has to be tested from the start. but I feel it is really good for possession football :)

Below is the tactic

View attachment 449255.

Sure thing, mate. Tata MArtino's tactic was already tested. Just search in the tactics page. You will find it :). My tweak has to be tested from the start. but I feel it is really good for possession football :)

Below is the tactic

View attachment 431391.
1st game i won 5-2 created a good amount of CCC but so did the opposition gonna try tweak the defence

My team

Well my tactic is basicly the ariigoo sachii tactic but I have changed some stuff now to keep suprising the oppositions. Here are scrrenshots of the tactic it self and the one where I have changed a bit to suprise.

The tactic: View attachment 449253View attachment 449252View attachment 449251View attachment 449250

The 4-4-2 deep is basicly the ariigoo sachii but after using it for a couple of seasons I find it hard to get the same results and strated changing and the 4-2-3-1 deep suits my team very well.

Below is screenshots of the season where I only used the 4-4-2 deep. It is by far my season ever and enjoyed some trophies underway and a couple of titles for myself too :D

The season: View attachment 449248View attachment 449247

In the capital one cup and FA cup games I only used young players that i thought could make the first one day and actually 3 years later 4 or 5 of those players are in my first team. I wont say that they all are important players but they give me depth and they are made by the club own system as well and that comes very handy in the chmpions league and to my own reputation. And as Sir. Alex Ferguson himself said once: "If you give a player his first senior match. He will forever remember that" And I must say, he was RIGHT! They are all very loyal to me even if they dont play every match but maybe in every third.

And now to my biggest star and my real savior in some matches. LEWANDOWSKI! - I love this guy. He does not only scores alot but he works for the team even more. That is vital.

Lewandowski: View attachment 449246

I have also a princible when it comes to developing and buying players. They must have a good natural fitness and no injury prone. I pay players to play not to recover from injury 8-|

Here is my team for the moment and I am happy with their effort. Most of them are very young so this team can and I hope will play together for at least 3-4 seasons before major changes.

The current team: View attachment 449245

@Mancity90: Good one, mate. I do not understand Danish, so could not make out the player roles. But, I have to tell you that 4-2DM-3-1 is FM14's best tactic hands down. The AI finds it difficult to counter that tactic. I just thrashed Hertha 6-0 now :D

Ofcourse I will do that. You can actually get the screenshot in english. Sorry for the danish screenshots. I didn't think of that :)

The 4-2-3-1 tactic (The one I use for the most time): View attachment 449236

Ofcourse I will do that. You can actually get the screenshot in english. Sorry for the danish screenshots. I didn't think of that :)

The 4-2-3-1 tactic (The one I use for the most time): View attachment 431434

Good one, mate :). I just want to offer a suggestion. A DLP or a Regista instead of one DM? This guy will initiate attacks from the deep. Every team will want one. The DM wins the ball and feeds it to him... He will start dictating.

Good one, mate :). I just want to offer a suggestion. A DLP or a Regista instead of one DM? This guy will initiate attacks from the deep. Every team will want one. The DM wins the ball and feeds it to him... He will start dictating.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that in the future. I think I am more to try the DLP :)

Alright fellas, This is my third season with Schalke. I used two tactics this season. For the first half, Iused Tata MArtino's tactic as it was. See the screenshot below:

View attachment 431353View attachment 431354

I did not have Kroos that season. I had Candreva at the right wing. He was just fantastic. He played 2 seasons and was just brilliant. I had a contract problem with him and he wanted to leave from Schalke. So sold him to the Merengues for 30M pounds. I wanted to keep him though. Leon Goretzka was my AP and Gotze was my False 9. I used this setup until December and look at the results.

View attachment 431362

This was excellent. But the players I had in attack were Gotze, Timo Werner, Max Meyer and a couple of excellent Regens. See their Screen shots below.

View attachment 431363View attachment 431366

View attachment 431375

Below are the results:

View attachment 431378View attachment 431379

View attachment 431382View attachment 431383

the tactics for Schalke look good, are they both attached?

@jonnyharb: Post results if you use this, mate:)

could you post both tactics for me? :) would really help me! :D

im aston villa in second season, (had an amazing season before the new patch came in and qualified for champs league) just signed Aaron Ramsey, Illaramendi, Matic and Herrera, so need a decent tactic to play 3 of the CM's/DM's in the new patch

would love to try the Regista

could you post both tactics for me? :) would really help me! :D

im aston villa in second season, (had an amazing season before the new patch came in and qualified for champs league) just signed Aaron Ramsey, Illaramendi, Matic and Herrera, so need a decent tactic to play 3 of the CM's/DM's in the new patch

would love to try the Regista

Here you go:)
View attachment 432082
View attachment 448938