[TACTICAL DISCUSSION] Formations with great results in FM14

does the modified works with the new patch!? 8-|
Haven't tried mate. If anything I feel a little insecure with the defense in that tactic. Heard the defenders are better after the new patch. So you do the math. :)

Is there any tactic with lots of CCC (Clear Cut Chances) ?

I just lost a game 5-0 my opponent had 10 CCC and I had 0. I lost even though I had more possession than him and better players

I can't find the all rounded tactics that i was capable of creating last year.. I used to be able to score many and concede few but now it's either one or the other..

Finally made a good tactic (I think)

Been messing around making tactics for a while and this one for my southampton team seems to be doing wonders.
I use two formations:

View attachment 447626View attachment 447625 View attachment 447623

The 4-3-2-1 was originally meant to be my defensive tactic but is the one I use more often now, playing Rodrigo Gomez as a box to box midfielder and he has destroyed. The 4-2-3-1 is more attacking and has equal success but I rotate depending on my opponent/which players are fit. When playing a team who play 3 or more in midfield I find that the 4-2-3-1 isn't as effective.

View attachment 447618View attachment 447620View attachment 447619

Dominating the league, the few losses I have had this season have been games where I dominate and in typical FM fashion lose when winning on shots by 30-3...the celtic game I don't want to think about again.

This is not a possession tactic, I care more about goals than getting 70% possession although some games I do also. Much higher tempo attacks and hitting the opponent on the counter, more Klopp than Guardiola let's say.

Last edited:
@Collerz: I've never been able to use 4-2-3-1 successfully. Mind uploading it, mate? I'll give it a go...

im really stumped at the moment ever year i can make a tactic that is at least half decent but this year im struggling like crazy

Collerz - Upload your tactic - looks great!

Away from my computer for a while, will upload it either tomorrow or tonight. No garuntees it will be a wonder tactic though, don't think they exist on this game. It worked well for 3 seasons with southmapton anyway, finished 4th first season, 5th second and won the 3rd season. Make sure you use attacking movement (defensive occasionally but I prefer to use attack as the best form of defence cliche) and ball control in training. I swap between each tactic go through phrases where one works and the other doesn't.

Been messing around making tactics for a while and this one for my southampton team seems to be doing wonders.
I use two formations:

View attachment 434975View attachment 434978 View attachment 434982

The 4-3-2-1 was originally meant to be my defensive tactic but is the one I use more often now, playing Rodrigo Gomez as a box to box midfielder and he has destroyed. The 4-2-3-1 is more attacking and has equal success but I rotate depending on my opponent/which players are fit. When playing a team who play 3 or more in midfield I find that the 4-2-3-1 isn't as effective.

View attachment 434991View attachment 434989View attachment 434990

Dominating the league, the few losses I have had this season have been games where I dominate and in typical FM fashion lose when winning on shots by 30-3...the celtic game I don't want to think about again.

This is not a possession tactic, I care more about goals than getting 70% possession although some games I do also. Much higher tempo attacks and hitting the opponent on the counter, more Klopp than Guardiola let's say.

View attachment 446306View attachment 446305

What kind of match preparations do you do? I'm about to try your tactics on Chelsea, first season.

I just took up a simulated game to 2021 with Monaco. The TataMartinez-modified tactic is working like a charm. Undefeated in my first season as manager.
View attachment 444956

Sure thing, mate. Tata MArtino's tactic was already tested. Just search in the tactics page. You will find it :). My tweak has to be tested from the start. but I feel it is really good for possession football :)

Below is the tactic

View attachment 431391.

I've had some great results in season 1 with Stuttgart using this tactic, cheers mate!

Hector89 is there some like unwritten rule built into the game where after like 50 games a tactic becomes less effective?

as in other teams have 'worked me out'? Have you been able to use this tactic for like 3 seasons in a row?

Its just the last few games I'm really struggling, compared to the screenshot I posted above. Still a hugely successful season considering my expectations and team.