Tactics & Training: The " I have a small question " thread

Hi, im currently playing as arsenal in a 4-2-3-1 formation with either van persie or vucinic upfront set as Complete forward attack though in team settings they are the primary target man and with all crosses aimed into them in my last game i had a cross completion rate of 14% (20 crosses) which i dont think is good enough my wingers are Left Dzsudzsak or zoran Tosic and right walcott and Chung-yong lee (bolton) just wondering what people suggest i should do to improve my cross completion rate

Hi, im currently playing as arsenal in a 4-2-3-1 formation with either van persie or vucinic upfront set as Complete forward attack though in team settings they are the primary target man and with all crosses aimed into them in my last game i had a cross completion rate of 14% (20 crosses) which i dont think is good enough my wingers are Left Dzsudzsak or zoran Tosic and right walcott and Chung-yong lee (bolton) just wondering what people suggest i should do to improve my cross completion rate

You need more players inside the box to succesfully cross to them. Also, cross isn't succesful if your striker loses the header, so you also need a striker with good jumping, anticipation, heading and bravery.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Changed crosses from Float to Drill.

Only thing it does is that float crosses means that players cross to far post, drill crosses means near post crosses. So if crosses are manually set to target man it doesn't have any difference.

Hi everybody!

I'm playing 4-5-1 formation for my Southampton, currently in the third season in Premier League.
These are the reports from my coaches about my team's condition.

Poor concentration
High flair
Tallest team
Poor speed
Good strength
Poor fitness
Poor technique

I actually wanted to play possession football, but it didn't work because most of the time my 3 midfielders get dispossessed so easily. I guess it's because of the poor technique. My midfielders' aggressions are quite high, because actually I always look for player with aggression above 13 (unless for strikers and wingers).

I've read in some tips that in order to successfully play possession football, the team needs High Aggression paired with Good Strength and High Concentration. Well, looking at my current condition (poor concentration), I guess it's impossible to play good possession football.

I would appreciate any input or tips for setting the team playing style (passing style, philosophy, closing down, etc).
And another thing, I would really like to know the best combination for the 3 midfielders.
I usually put Advanced Playmaker (Support), Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend), and Defensive Midfielder (Defend), but somehow I feel that the support from midfield was rather weak.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi everybody!

I'm playing 4-5-1 formation for my Southampton, currently in the third season in Premier League.
These are the reports from my coaches about my team's condition.

Poor concentration
High flair
Tallest team
Poor speed
Good strength
Poor fitness
Poor technique

I actually wanted to play possession football, but it didn't work because most of the time my 3 midfielders get dispossessed so easily. I guess it's because of the poor technique. My midfielders' aggressions are quite high, because actually I always look for player with aggression above 13 (unless for strikers and wingers).

I've read in some tips that in order to successfully play possession football, the team needs High Aggression paired with Good Strength and High Concentration. Well, looking at my current condition (poor concentration), I guess it's impossible to play good possession football.

I would appreciate any input or tips for setting the team playing style (passing style, philosophy, closing down, etc).
And another thing, I would really like to know the best combination for the 3 midfielders.
I usually put Advanced Playmaker (Support), Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend), and Defensive Midfielder (Defend), but somehow I feel that the support from midfield was rather weak.

Thanks in advance.

It seems that you have to find some new players. I always play possession football, and I actually have the weakest strenght in the PL. The key is to use right set of mentalities; too high mentalities makes you finish your attacks too quickly, often leading to stupid long shots or something else similar to give the ball easily away. Too defensive mentalities means that you completely lose your attacking threat, and midfielders always pass the ball back to defenders, and after a while this often ends up to a long pass by your CBs which is easily intercepted.

Use short passing for every player. If you have proper playmaker, you can have his passing set to mixed. Also make sure the playmaker isn't the most advanced midfielder you have, it improves a lot of possession if your playmaker is the passer from the destroyer-passer-creator combo. So change your ballwinning midfielder to deep lying midfielder or central midfielder-support. Also make sure your midfielders have passing options. None of your midfielders should have run from deep often, preferably same thing for your wingers.

It seems that you have to find some new players. I always play possession football, and I actually have the weakest strenght in the PL. The key is to use right set of mentalities; too high mentalities makes you finish your attacks too quickly, often leading to stupid long shots or something else similar to give the ball easily away. Too defensive mentalities means that you completely lose your attacking threat, and midfielders always pass the ball back to defenders, and after a while this often ends up to a long pass by your CBs which is easily intercepted.

Use short passing for every player. If you have proper playmaker, you can have his passing set to mixed. Also make sure the playmaker isn't the most advanced midfielder you have, it improves a lot of possession if your playmaker is the passer from the destroyer-passer-creator combo. So change your ballwinning midfielder to deep lying midfielder or central midfielder-support. Also make sure your midfielders have passing options. None of your midfielders should have run from deep often, preferably same thing for your wingers.

I've tried setting all passing to short and freedom to little (only my playmakers have mixed passing and higher creative freedom), but sometimes the possession still easily broken. The weirdest thing that always happen is whenever most of my players receive a ball and get closed down, they spin around in place and then either tackled or give the ball away. Is it because my players are not skillful enough? Most of the time, I lost possession by giving the ball away (like kicking the ball to opponent to buy throw in) or get tackled and counter attacked. I also tried setting the Time Wasting to rarely to avoid my players holding the ball too long, but in the end they give the ball away again. I have also did what you said, I changed the midfielders to Advanced, Deep-Lying, and Defensive Midfielders all on Support role. I've also changed the Run from Deep for all midfielders and wingers to rarely. The main difference I've felt with my previous 4-4-2 tactic is there's hardly any through balls from the midfield. Most goals were created both from long balls and wingers movement. It's just doesn't work when playing against opponent playing offside trap as I will get caught in offside trap many times.

My players mostly have decent Passing and Technique (above 12) unless for the defenders, so I've set their passing to very short. But still, my midfielders are not capable of holding the ball or passing properly. Now I'm thinking to revert back to the 4-4-2 formation, but I've spent a lot of money on players for 4-5-1. I got no proper winger because my wingers mostly have Cuts Inside PPM. Plus, I don't have enough strikers to play 4-4-2 because I only have 3 strikers in my team.

I would like to get new players in, but for now it's not possible now because my team's reputation is too low. I have the money to spend (I even have 2m+ profit every month) but in the end, the players are not interested to join. I've requested the board to upgrade the facilities to increase the reputation and it's on progress now, so what I need is the proper tactic just to prevent losing games and stay in Premier League.

I've tried setting all passing to short and freedom to little (only my playmakers have mixed passing and higher creative freedom), but sometimes the possession still easily broken. The weirdest thing that always happen is whenever most of my players receive a ball and get closed down, they spin around in place and then either tackled or give the ball away. Is it because my players are not skillful enough? Most of the time, I lost possession by giving the ball away (like kicking the ball to opponent to buy throw in) or get tackled and counter attacked. I also tried setting the Time Wasting to rarely to avoid my players holding the ball too long, but in the end they give the ball away again. I have also did what you said, I changed the midfielders to Advanced, Deep-Lying, and Defensive Midfielders all on Support role. I've also changed the Run from Deep for all midfielders and wingers to rarely. The main difference I've felt with my previous 4-4-2 tactic is there's hardly any through balls from the midfield. Most goals were created both from long balls and wingers movement. It's just doesn't work when playing against opponent playing offside trap as I will get caught in offside trap many times.

My players mostly have decent Passing and Technique (above 12) unless for the defenders, so I've set their passing to very short. But still, my midfielders are not capable of holding the ball or passing properly. Now I'm thinking to revert back to the 4-4-2 formation, but I've spent a lot of money on players for 4-5-1. I got no proper winger because my wingers mostly have Cuts Inside PPM. Plus, I don't have enough strikers to play 4-4-2 because I only have 3 strikers in my team.

I would like to get new players in, but for now it's not possible now because my team's reputation is too low. I have the money to spend (I even have 2m+ profit every month) but in the end, the players are not interested to join. I've requested the board to upgrade the facilities to increase the reputation and it's on progress now, so what I need is the proper tactic just to prevent losing games and stay in Premier League.

It seems that your players doesn't have passing options. Also, if opponent closes down quickly, set your tempo to quick, so that you pass the ball before they can tackle you. Cut inside PPM is good for wingers, also make sure your striker is good, pace and acceleration are very important, should be at least 15 both, preferably more.

Do not set all run from deeps to rarely, at least for your advanced playmaker use sometimes, so that he will position himself higher up the pitch, making it harder to mark all 3 players. If they all are at the same place, there is lots of congestion which can be easily defended with 2 players.

With a weak team possession football is hard, maybe you should consider using a counter attacking approach against weaker teams and in away fixtures.

I'm using the counter tactic now, but it doesn't work against big teams like Tottenham, Man Utd, Man City, etc. That's why I need a tactic to make sure I can control possession and waste time to prevent getting scored. :mad:

Sorry if it's already been answered, but if you use a tactic, then the AI become used to it so it isn't as effective any more, but then, say, 10 seasons later you go back and use the tactic again, will the AI still be used to it or get used to it straight away?

Do you think, on average, it is better to use a Poacher - Target Man partnership or Advanced Forward - Deep Lying Forward? Which one is more effective, with more goals, better play, etc. I find that Advanced - Deep Lying is much more effective for me, but I don't know why. Can anyone explain the main differences between both partnerships?

Question relating to 5-3-2 (newest test game, I used to play 5-3-2 in 2009 and older FMs).

I have 5 defenders in line. I'm concerned about the middle of defense, let's say DCL DC DCR.

I want them to stay in line - no DC as sweeper. Yet I want DCL and DCR to press more, kind of like man mark strikers and I want DC without pressing - DC is the quick defender in my case, whom should save critical situations. How should I set roles, especially his? Is he DC cover or DC stopper?

In case that you need some training schedules download the best collection of schedules LINK removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen ,this should be the last that you have to worry .Stop to say in public every single annoyment that you can have .

The last thing that I have on my mind is to be a spammer .Lets be serious a little bit ;)

FM Base is throwing pop up windows everywhere and you speak for spams .Come on ...

Listen ,this should be the last that you have to worry .Stop to say in public every single annoyment that you can have .

The last thing that I have on my mind is to be a spammer .Lets be serious a little bit ;)

FM Base is throwing pop up windows everywhere and you speak for spams .Come on ...

Its great to hear that you have intention of spamming, in the end meaning that we will se no more uncalled linking to FMBoss.

As for me writting in the threads about the reason for them being edited/moved/closed etc, its because its the way it has to be to avoid a floodgate scenario and here, its not anything to debate.

Cheers

I have used TheBetterHalf's Grande Wide 41221 set in my first season with Man Utd and achieved alot of success but I have reached the stage where I would like to create my own set of tactics. Ideally it should be not more than 3 versions so I can load them into match preparation. I would like to stick with the 451/41221 formation and will initially leave everything as default aside from changing a few player roles and changing the strategies but am not sure what to have the different options i.e. Passing Style, Creative Freedom, Closing Down, Marking etc set to for the different strategies and would really welcome some advice on how to go about creating this tactical set. I have been looking around for a tutorial/guide but could not find one.

I have used TheBetterHalf's Grande Wide 41221 set in my first season with Man Utd and achieved alot of success but I have reached the stage where I would like to create my own set of tactics. Ideally it should be not more than 3 versions so I can load them into match preparation. I would like to stick with the 451/41221 formation and will initially leave everything as default aside from changing a few player roles and changing the strategies but am not sure what to have the different options i.e. Passing Style, Creative Freedom, Closing Down, Marking etc set to for the different strategies and would really welcome some advice on how to go about creating this tactical set. I have been looking around for a tutorial/guide but could not find one.

There are no longer any guides on how to make sets as that’s what the Wizards for, making you able to play with a set of tactics within your general framework ( like a physical rigid one or a fluid and short passing system etc).The reason I set up my sets using the classic mode is because I don’t like the preset TC settings.

If wanting to use 3 different saved tactics in the match prep, all using different strategies, I would do the following.

Firstly, chose a standard formation that suits my team, one that can easily be turned into a more attacking and one more cautious and compact

If having one really good Forward and one really good AMC/FC, then you could go for the following approach.

- One formation using FC-AMC-AML-AMR - 4231
- One more attacking formation pushing up the AMC to FC – 424
- One more cautious formation dropping the Wingers into MR/ML – 4411

Here, you could play the 4242 using the Attack strategy, using lots of width. The 4411 could be used both as a possession based approach as well as a really defensive

As for the main approach, using the 4231, well then you could either play a counter attacking game, a balanced or a control based one.

Hello, I just started a game with Villarreal. I choose a narrow 4-2-3-1 to fit in all the stars (I couldn't get Cazorla). But in the friendlies Im doing pretty bad, 1-0, 0-0, 1-1 with Serie B teams. I have bought Kevin and Cabaye. I play:
Nilmar
Rossi Cani Cazorla
Cabaye Senna
Capdevilla Marchena Rodriguez Angel
Diego Lopez

Nilmar: Poacher
Rossi: Trequartista
Cani: Advanced Playmaker
Cazorla: Attacking Midfielder
Cabaye: Deep Lying Playmaker
Senna: Ball Winning Midfielder
Capdevilla & Angel: Full backs
Marchena & Rodriguez: Center-halves

As to tactics, I play fluid, with zonal marking, direct passing and focus passing down the middle.

Btw I already set my field to the smallest possible because I thought I would play the narrow tactic.

I could really use any feedback. Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Using AMC and 2 strikers. For example Kaká as AMC and playmaker, technical as ****... How should I put striker roles to get AMC work best making chances to strikers (doesn't matter who I have as ST 'cause this is not for a single team and plaers who I'm asking this for) and the strikers to get in scoring positions. Added to that if I want both strikers to score goals should I anyhow put one of them supporting amc so amc won't get isolated or should I give him support from the midfield. Then same thing using AMC and 2 strikers but now the AMC is a bit like Gerrard/Lampard type, stronger and hard worker and don't need to be that technical. AMC in this case won't be playmaking so I want to use atleast one technical striker like Aguero/Suarez/ who will play as Deeplying fwd - attack so he will be main scorer. How do I put AMC and other ST in this case to utilize all of them best and make them work as a small team and not make them terrorize each other? Please help me with this I've been struggling with this for awhile.