Tactics & Training: The " I have a small question " thread

All right, recently, I've enjoyed playing a 4-4-1-1 with wingers as inside forwards [Cutting inside/cross from byline] and having my Wing backs set to Attack [Hug the touchline/Cross from Deep very often]. Is this one of the reasons why I'm leaking a lot of goals? I've been using an Anchor man/Ball winning defender but he doesn't seem to do much.. I've tried to set my wing backs to Automatic to solve this problem but I still seem to leak more goals than usual. What could anyone suggest I do to combat this? I want to keep the attacking wing backs but also keep their defensive capabilities. Is there a way I can limit how far they will run with the ball, regards to getting back in time to defend counter attacks, because everything I've tried doesn't work. I've tried making their mentality normal, borderline to attacking and also normal, borderline to defending but they still get caught out of position (with Roam from position on no).

Help much appreciated.

Last edited:
All right, recently, I've enjoyed playing a 4-4-1-1 with wingers as inside forwards [Cutting inside/cross from byline] and having my Wing backs set to Attack [Hug the touchline/Cross from Deep very often]. Is this one of the reasons why I'm leaking a lot of goals? I've been using an Anchor man/Ball winning defender but he doesn't seem to do much.. I've tried to set my wing backs to Automatic to solve this problem but I still seem to leak more goals than usual. What could anyone suggest I do to combat this? I want to keep the attacking wing backs but also keep their defensive capabilities. Is there a way I can limit how far they will run with the ball, regards to getting back in time to defend counter attacks, because everything I've tried doesn't work. I've tried making their mentality normal, borderline to attacking and also normal, borderline to defending but they still get caught out of position (with Roam from position on no).

Help much appreciated.

Here are some things that also makes à difference

- À highish d-line might make your Fbs end up high in the pitch regardless of mentality and if combined with à low pressing game on the AI players putting those key passes, then you get exposed.

- they might have attacking ppms.

- you are playing on the counter along with à highish d- line. This Will turn even à ultra defensiv FB into àn attacking wingback.

I need help ASAP. I just started a new game with Leicester and I'm doing pretty well I scored 9 goals in the first three games but I lost 6! 5-4, 1-0 and 3-2. From he 6 goals that I lost 3 were scored from corners and 3 from the opponents wingers running down the flank, crossing the ball in and the striker hitting the ball in. I dont know what Im doing wrong its annoying and harmful to my game. I really need help, thanks in advance.

I need help ASAP. I just started a new game with Leicester and I'm doing pretty well I scored 9 goals in the first three games but I lost 6! 5-4, 1-0 and 3-2. From he 6 goals that I lost 3 were scored from corners and 3 from the opponents wingers running down the flank, crossing the ball in and the striker hitting the ball in. I dont know what Im doing wrong its annoying and harmful to my game. I really need help, thanks in advance.

Use opposition instructions to show opposition wingers onto weaker foot, also closing down always might help. Also make sure that your CBs have good attributes on jumping, anticipation, bravery and also that they have sufficient height (at least 1,85 metres).

Use opposition instructions to show opposition wingers onto weaker foot, also closing down always might help. Also make sure that your CBs have good attributes on jumping, anticipation, bravery and also that they have sufficient height (at least 1,85 metres).

I do everything that you mentioned and my CB's are 191 and 188.Im not sure about the jumpings anticipations and bravery but if they are low what can I do?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice.

I've started a new game with Liverpool, and 15 games in although I've only lost one, I've won four and drawn eight. I seem to be unable to score, but keeping a clean sheet, or to be matched in goals, like 3-3's, if I can score.

I play either 4-4-1-1, or 4-2-3-1 most of the time. Downing seems to be very effective on the wing as either a winger or an inside forward, and I'm playing Andy Carroll as a Target man, but he doesn't seem to do anything really, although he's scored six from corners.

I try to play attacking, fluid and press without the ball, focussing passing on either the middle or the flanks depending on how the other team play, but it's very frustrating. Any tips would be great!

I have the standard Liverpool side, but I bought Keisuke Honda who I play as an Advanced Playmaker in the CAM position on attack. Luis Suarez is also injured for a few months and Gerrard is very injury prone too.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I would like to know what does the CROSS FROM setting for MC's do? Does it efect the movement, being more adventures going forward?

Hi guys

I would like to know what does the CROSS FROM setting for MC's do? Does it efect the movement, being more adventures going forward?

Well, when they are down the right or left flank, they will cross from whichever they were set. For example, if your LCM dribbles down the left flank and gets into a crossing positionm, if you had set him to cross from the byline, he will go to the very far end of the box and cross it in, either to the near post or the far post, whichever is chosen.

The same will go for your RCM, but if you set it to be from deep, he will stick back to either pass it to the RB and give them the opportunity to cross, or just cross one in, either driven low or floated above for taller target men to reach.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice.

I've started a new game with Liverpool, and 15 games in although I've only lost one, I've won four and drawn eight. I seem to be unable to score, but keeping a clean sheet, or to be matched in goals, like 3-3's, if I can score.

I play either 4-4-1-1, or 4-2-3-1 most of the time. Downing seems to be very effective on the wing as either a winger or an inside forward, and I'm playing Andy Carroll as a Target man, but he doesn't seem to do anything really, although he's scored six from corners.

I try to play attacking, fluid and press without the ball, focussing passing on either the middle or the flanks depending on how the other team play, but it's very frustrating. Any tips would be great!

I have the standard Liverpool side, but I bought Keisuke Honda who I play as an Advanced Playmaker in the CAM position on attack. Luis Suarez is also injured for a few months and Gerrard is very injury prone too.

Lone target man simply doesn't work in FM11, you should use pacier player alongside Carrol, or use an attacking midfielder with run from deep often and attacking mentality, so that he pushes forward for scoring situations. You should find a backup for Suarez, or play Kuyt in the striker spot (don't know how good he is there, but it would be my choise with the current Liverpool squad).

What is the difference between the Wide Play options in tactics, how does each setting affect player movement?

I don't know if this has been posted but, when I watch 3d camera matches, the player's jersey number don't show up, what do I do?

i have recently switched from duns training to a simpler one by sir.noom angthong(fastest possible training growth)

but since the swicth about a week (gametime) ago all my payers have gone into red downward arrows when you view the training scheldules

anone know whats going on?

whats the best training download form here, whatever happened to tugs?

Anybody know why I can't put my youth players on a YOUTH training schedule? They are all greyed out (downloaded schedules) and I can only select the training schedule for the first-team players.

Anybody can recommend me to a good training schedule?

Forest ash

It's just a week. Maybe you should give it some time to go on. Also, maybe you should try to keep the workload at very heavy and then reduce it to medium when you are like a week and half (gametime) away from your season's first game. And give the players a three day break before the season starts.

Like I said, waiting and making it heavy may work (It did for me).

Trebby:

Youth schedules are a problem with me too. And as to a good training schedule, Zero Sea's schedule or Dunc's schedules should work well.

What is the difference between the Wide Play options in tactics, how does each setting affect player movement?
Hug touchline = Player will stay wide all the time and should be telled to cross a lot. Usefull when you want to spread the enemy defense or want to play crosses to Target Man.

Move in channels = Player will look for an open position to get to where player in position will have easier pass to make. Good for all playmakers so they will be easier to reach. Anyone who you want to have the ball to feet should be moving in to channels (Playmakers, forwards with good dribbling...).

Cut inside = Player from wide position will look to run towards the goal and cut inside. Example what Ronaldo and Messi are doing when they are played in wing forward positions. They will get the ball usually on the wing and then look to get in the middle of the pitch and in scoring opportunities. Best for wing inside forwards(AMR/L , STR/L) who you want to score goals.

Normal = Will stay about there where you have positioned him. Won't go too much wider or cut inside. Player who you want to keep their positions will have Normal wide play, Anchor man for example. You wouldn't want him to bee too far from his position so he will cover up the midfield.

To make things a bit clearer
Huge Touchline & Cut Inside = With the ball movement,( have a knock on effect on the players position. If moving out wide or tucking in with the ball, the players are more likely to stay wide or stay central than if not been given these instruction)

Move into channels = Off the Ball movement

None = The player will not have orders to use one wide play over another.

Last edited:
Hug touchline = Player will stay wide all the time and should be telled to cross a lot. Usefull when you want to spread the enemy defense or want to play crosses to Target Man.

Move in channels = Player will look for an open position to get to where player in position will have easier pass to make. Good for all playmakers so they will be easier to reach. Anyone who you want to have the ball to feet should be moving in to channels (Playmakers, forwards with good dribbling...).

Cut inside = Player from wide position will look to run towards the goal and cut inside. Example what Ronaldo and Messi are doing when they are played in wing forward positions. They will get the ball usually on the wing and then look to get in the middle of the pitch and in scoring opportunities. Best for wing inside forwards(AMR/L , STR/L) who you want to score goals.

Normal = Will stay about there where you have positioned him. Won't go too much wider or cut inside. Player who you want to keep their positions will have Normal wide play, Anchor man for example. You wouldn't want him to bee too far from his position so he will cover up the midfield.

I don't agree with move into channels (that it should be used for playmakers or player who you want to recieve ball to feet). The opposite, the player makes runs forward between the centre backs or fullback and a centre back and look to get the ball on the run.

I don't agree with move into channels (that it should be used for playmakers or player who you want to recieve ball to feet). The opposite, the player makes runs forward between the centre backs or fullback and a centre back and look to get the ball on the run.

Oops, I missed correcting that one. It does describe the outcome of a player using his free options though :D