Taking over Manchester 1 league at a Time

Poodles

Reaction score
FC United
View attachment 274275

Background
'The club set up in protest to Malcolm Glazer's takeover of Manchester United' is a statement often used to describe FC United. But while there is no doubt that FC would not have happened without the American invasion, it was the catalyst, the final straw, but not the sole reason.
The material theft of a Manchester institution, forcibly taken from the people of Manchester, was the tip of a pyramid of destruction, with changing kick off times for the benefit of television, soulless all-seater stadia full of 'new' supporters intent to sit back and watch rather than partake in the occasion, heavy handed stewarding and ridiculously priced tickets propping it all up.
By May 2005 some supporters had had enough. The failure to prevent Glazer and repeat the successful repulsion of Rupert Murdoch in 1998 resurrected a 'last resort' idea from that previous campaign and the FC United wheels were put in motion. A group of individuals determined to continue the fight formed a steering committee and FC United of Manchester was delivered.
Critics of the idea argued that if supporters were disgruntled with the Premiership then why didn't they go and support other local cash-strapped clubs instead of setting up their own? But that wouldn't have been theirs would it? It wouldn't have been United and it wouldn't have been right to takeover another club after they had just been taken over themselves. Nor could they drift off in various directions and be lost to each other and maybe football forever. They wanted to maintain the momentum of the protest, to stick together, to sing United songs, to reminisce and bring back the good bits of the good old days. They wanted Our Club, Our Rules and they got just that, a member owned democratic, not-for-profit organisation created by Manchester United fans. A club accessible to all of the Greater Manchester community, dedicated to encouraging participation of youth whether it be playing or supporting and to providing affordable football for all

So the year is 2014/15 Season, I live in a little town a little over 13 miles from Manchester City Centre, Local teams MCFC, MUFC, Oldham, Stockport, Stalybridge & Hyde, However as someone else in the Football Stories pointed out in the Shadows of the Big Manchester Two a little team is slowly building!

This year they are lucky enough to have hired a relative unknown Manager, with a famous Surname Clough, however this one is called Lee, after a number of good seasons of football behind me and trained to a decent level, I feel I'm the right man to bring the success this little team needs and to break up the Manchester dominance of the Blue and Red Halves of the City and make it a 3rd Each.

So what shall we try and do, Evo-Stik Northern League to Premier League 7 or 8 Seasons! well that's the challenge. Having us use a Steam player Data Base to get to the division I want

What the Board Wants
The Board seem to think I should be challenging for Promotion so we'll see, we have a reasonable strong squad with a few decent players. Our present start player is below with one or two I think have a chance of pushing us further one.

View attachment 274251

View attachment 274250
Formation play with Flair

Its the Lower leagues so my goal will be to score more than the other team and blitz them off the park I'm sure in the 1st few weeks this may mean I myself get hammered once or twice as I look for some strong players to come in and support the push. I'm using a formation made famous by the Tinkerman more because the basic system works wonders but every season you need to add a tweak of your own to make it succesful the system can be found in the tactics list.

View attachment 274247

Ok so that's enough of the what why and if it can be done, I'm off to do a pre-season and see what gems I can find in the transfer market and of course the 1st thing to secure are a few decent coaches, I usually find for the lower leagues Joe Corrigan is the best Goal Keeping Coach to locate reasonable wage and will sign for two years so I'll be starting there.

I hope everyone enjoys this thread and lets see if in 7 or 8 seasons we can compete in the PL

August
Every team is starting fresh I've brought in a few, got rid of a few, probable paid too much wages to a couple as well, the bonus for starting in the lower leagues you can sign some players to Amateur contracts, no salary of course if they play too well a big club may swoop in and steal them off you, but every now and then you find a gem. So we have 4 games in our 1st month, if I can grab 9 points I'd be a happy bunny and the boys may get a bonus.

Fixtures

Stamford 0 - 2 FC United
Cham (Amateur)
Stott (pen)

Nice start to the season the team works well we are 2 nil up and the break and cruise to the end of the game.

FC United 0 - 0 Rushall

Awful game we have 1 player sent off and 3 injured in the 1st half 2 of them strikers although controlling the game we never look like scoring.

Halesowen 1 - 3 FC United

Greaves (2)
Ambalu

Curzon Ashton 1 - 0 FC United

Terrible game we looked out classed, out fought and the one goal doesn't say how much our local rivals rocked our team, we should of gone home 3 or 4 down it was poor, and maybe shows how hard this league will be this season

SO 7 points from the 1st 4 games not as many as I wanted but not as bad as it could of been, we should of won our only home game but really deserved a pasting at Curzon overall I'm happy with the players and treat them to a fish and chip supper after some light training

View attachment 274196

September

Wow what an awaking we couldnt buy a win, possible my fault as I tweaked and pulled at the squad swapping in amateur players on a regular bases throughout the month. We go from a top four team to a top eight with little or no signs of improvement.

Fixtures

FC United 1 - 2 King's Lynn
Cham (Amateur)

FC United 4 - 1 Trafford
Wallwork 2
Cham
Hawkins (O.G)

Ronnie Wallwork joins us at 36 ex Manchester Utd, looks good in this game but then gets injured in training for 6-8 months and promptly retires what a rubbish few days

Blyth 3 - 2 FC United
Cham (2)

We were leading with 1 minute of normal time to go then get 2 late injuries to defenders and suddenly we are 3-2 down and its game over, Cham is turning into a decent No9 at least

FC United 5 - 3 Whitby
Ambalu
Stott
Wolfenden (3 inc Pen)

Strange game we were 4 Nil up at Half-time I explained to the players they were doing well but not to get complacent, we then shipped 3 goals in 5 minutes and finally got the 5th a penalty in the last minute. I need to figure out whats going on with the defending and quick,

View attachment 273794
My saving grace at the moment appears to be Silk at right wing back his attacking runs and crossing are proving deadly, with the bonus of Wolfendens assists and Chams goals. One hopes for a decent September

October

Decent month, the team is starting to gel, our only real shock was a heavy away defeat in a game we should of at least draw Ilkeston, who look like there going to be a strong title challenger

Fixtures

Grantham 0 - 6 FC United
Silk
Cham (2)
Zazrivec (2)
Stott (Pen)

No idea where this result came from we hadn't look like keeping a clean sheet in any game Grantham I think will struggle to keep themselves in the league this season especially with results like this one we dominated the game from start to finish

FC United 3 - 3p Warrington Peter Shields Cup
Platt
Cham
Wolfenden

3 Nil down at Half-Time I thought we were done and out of the cup, I went in the dressing room and did my best Fergie rant Hair Dryer and all and it was 3-3 with 2 minutes to go, I thought it was a reply, and made some subs. Extra and then penalties 10-11 and were out.

FC United 3 - 1 S&L Corby
Amablu (2)
Wolfenden

Ramsbottom 0 - 2 FC United

Stott (Pen)
Cham

llkeston 3 - 0 FC United

And here it easy 10 shots each 5 on target from me zero goals, 3 on target from them and all 3 scream in 2 of them were 35 yard screamers as well goal of the season contenders for sure hopefully this isnt a sign of things to come.

FC United 3 - 1 Shortwood FA Cup Rnd2 Qual
Barnes (OG)
Stott (Pen)
Ambalu

FC United 1 - 0 Buxton
Zazrivec

View attachment 273385
So here we are at the end of October nicely squeezed in just outside the playoffs but with only 2 pts behind the leaders and a quarter of the season done. Marine unbeaton and only having played 10 games so fair are the way out front form team. November will be a difficult month with 6 league and a 3rd Round Qual in the FA Cup

November

OMG what a month the boys come of age, we score goals for fun and by the end of it, its "We are top of the league, I say we are top of the league.

Fixtures

FC United 1 - 0 Barwell
Silk

FC United 3 - 1 Witton
Wolfenden (3)

FC United 7 - 1 St Francis Rangers (Sussec League) FA Cup Qual 3rd Rnd
Ambalu (3)
Stott
Platt
Brownhill
Capitani

Well what a game this one we scored 7 but could of and probable should of had 20, 58 Shots 30 on target, they had one dodgy free kick. But wow just wow and its FA Cup Rnd one proper for us.

FC United 3 - 2 Workington
Stott (Pen)
Fox
Porter (O.G)

Close game unbeaten mini run nearly went up in smoke 3 nil up in 20 minutes we then went completely off the boil and Workington spanked us. Glad we were at home is all i'm saying

FC United 4 - 0 Nantwich
Cham 2
Ambalu
Moogan

FC United 3 - 1 Braintree
Stott (Pen)
Fox
Wolfenden

Frickley 2 - 3 FC United
Ambalu
Stott
Cham

This was the game that made my month, we were 2 nil down after 15 minutes away, I was pacing the touchline why suddenly had the wheels come off, was I going to be on the end of a complete hiding, I pulled off my right back "Silk" possible the player of the season so far and moved Zazrivec my on loan Slovakian youngster (Ashton Villa) over to the right back slot, putting on the experiance Platt in midfield. We had a penalty before half time but Stott for once hand it saved. At Half-Time I didnt rant I explained we'd been unlucky and if the penalty had gone in we'd have been right in this game. All I needed was everyone to give everything in the 2nd half and we could get out of here with a point. BUT wow we battered Frickley 2nd half they were lucky we only one by the odd goal and Zazrivec was man of the match with 2 assists.

View attachment 273052

December
A month of ups and downs, we started sluggish hit a high at Christmas only to crash down to earth with one of our leading Strikers suffering a leg break in a stunning defeat.

Fixtures

Marine 0 - 2 FC United
Cham (Amateur)
Edwards

FC United 0 - 3 Kidderminster FA Cup Rnd 1

Ouch we were never in the game 3 nil could of be 10, shows me how far I need to build IF we get out of this league to compete further up the divisions, the only saving grace no sendings off or injuries and less games to play for the remainder of the season.

FC United 0 - 1 Matlock

The bad luck infront of goal continues 7 or 8 great chances and then a break away ball over the top in last last 2 minutes from the Matlock keeper kills us.

FC United 2 - 1 Skelmersdale
Cham
Platt

FC United 2 - 1 Stamford
Cham
Stott (pen)

FC United 3 - 2 Belper
Cham
Ambalu
Stott (pen)

FC United 6 - 0 Halesowen
Cham (2)
Ambalu (3)
Fox

Stourbridge 3 - 1 FC United
Cham

A bad time New Years eve affair we took an early lead then had Ambalu stretchered off with a leg breaking tackle from the Stourbridge Centre Half, he got away with a ticking off from the ref who I thought had a bad game, We Stourbridge draw level with the last kick of the half from a well worked free kick and I have me work cut out at half time. Second half my team went completely absent 6 yellow cards and a sending off, 2 late goals sent us into the New Year with a defeat.

View attachment 272763
SO Just over half way through the season however, I seem to have played double the amount of home games than away, I would of liked a decent lead by this time in the season and a little breathing space January & Febraury can be really bad months, But we have what we have and with Ilkeston breathing down our necks its going to be a long 2nd half of the season.

January
With snow falling and the lower division pitches suffering from a lot of ice and slippy conditions and me already having a paper thin squad I spent the 1st couple days of January trying to strengthen the squad, Carnell although seeming a perfect Keeper for this division has let in some silly goals so this was a position I looked also with Moogan my Ball Winning Midfielder suffering a Fractured arm in training I looked to line up a strong supporting midfielder.

View attachment 272757
Meet FC United's New No1 Joe Wright, Joe has played more recently at Bishop Stortford and looks the perfect Sweeper Keeper for my formation, he plays five games through January with 3 clean sheets.

View attachment 272752

Jake Hoult, travels just a few miles west, from Altrincham most recently in the Vandarama Premier, Jake found himself surplus to requirements there over Christmas and comes in on a nominal wage for the next 6 months after which we'll have a sit down and see what happens next. In the 5 games although nothing amazing he gets 1 PoM and knits the midfield together nicely.

Fixtures

Rushall 2 - 4 FC United
Cham (Amateur)
Zazrivec
Wolfenden (2)

King's Lynn 2 - 2 FC United
Greaves (2)

This is Carnells last game for a while, a silly mistake in the 89th Minute costs us 2 points, and lets King's Lynn draw the game. I was very disappointed the next day, Joe Wright arrived and takes the Keepers No1 Jersery

FC United 1 - 0 Curzon Ashton
Cham

Revenge against our local rivals and a clean sheet tight decent game, as well as starting our new keeper, I tweak the side a little, dropping Platt into the Defensive Midfield Roll however he's much better at Anchor so we move his position to accomadate this new tactic

FC United 3 - 0 Blyth
Cham
Wolfenden
Parker (O.G)

Ashton 0 - 3 FC United
Cham
Wolfenden
Capitani

Another local rival is despatched with ease, 3 nil up at the break, I get to rest 3 of my 1st teamers in the 2nd half and sit back and relax at the full time whistle, this one was the best result of the month

Trafford 1 - 3 FC United
Cham (3)

Witton 1 - 1 FC United
Stott

This was the most frustrating game of the month, 36 attempts at goal 17 on target but for once all 3 main strikers and the 2 subs couldnt find a way past the Witton Keeper in inspired form, Stott up from the back un the 85th minute fired a bullet headed in and I thought game over phew lucky, only for the same player to dive into a reckless tackle in the 92nd minute and give away a silly penalty.

View attachment 272750

So month of January in the bag, we're entering that final hurdle as the end of the season starts to approach, the two new winter signings have bedded in nicely, Ambalu is back for Febraury from his leg break, fingers crossed he picks up the goal trail again. Additionally I have the bonus of Moogan my Defensive Midfielder just three weeks away from fitness as well. Ilkeston are still the team on my heels but we have a little breathing space at last. Looking at the bottom of the division Halesowen look dead and buried at the bottom floating some 7 points adrift already.

February

The 2nd unbeaten month on the trott, leads us to the summit and a growing lead in the division will let us relax a little and put one hand on a league trophy. The signings of Wright & Moult have really pushed the team on and with Moogan my Anchor Man in midfield coming back from Injury we really push on

Fixtures

Whitby 3 - 4 FC United
Stott (Pen)
Ambalu
Wolfenden (2)

What a game another away thriller and possible another reason I'll go gray, 3 nil up at half time. I explain were doing ok and not to get complacent, I make a couple of half time subs and by the 60th Minute its 3-3, I bring Ambalu of the bench and he snatches the winner in the 83rd Minute. Phew

FC United 3 - 1 Grantham
Cham (2)
Wolfenden

Buxton 1 - 1 FC United
Ambalu

FC United 1 - 0 Ramsbottom
Wolfenden

Nantwich 0 - 3 FC United
Moult
Ambalu
Cham

Great away game Moult finally gets his reward for some 8+ proformances and nets his 1st goal Cham & Ambalu just keep on netting and were really pushing on

View attachment 272381

What a two months we've pushed a full 15 points clear, if we can secure a good run in March, this title will be ours for the taking, really impressed with the teams work ethic and contro in most matches, this can be see with most of the stat charts showing my players leading them, the negative side were also ahead of the yellows. It would be a pity to lose Moogan to suspension this late in the season and I bring him in for a little chat to discuss maybe not going in as hard in some of the upcoming matches to get us past the danger time. He promises me he'll do his best, however that is a big part of his game. So roll on March.

Last edited:
March

We make it 3 months unbeaten, one of our nearest rivals is put to the sword, and by the time the warmer weather of April comes and that final push we'll have one hand firmly on the League Trophy. its been an emotional 3 months at the end of December and that 1st week of January, I was really worried but it's now looking good.

Fixtures

FC United 1 - 0 Ilkeston
Wolfenden

Perfect Game we score early against a team I feared at the start of the season and push further ahead, the scoreline doesn't really show the domination we had in the game allowing Ilkestons strikers just 6 attempts at goal and none on target.

Barwell 0 - 3 FC United
Stott
(Pen)
Grace
Zazrivec

FC United 6 - 2 Ashton Utd
Ambalu (2)
Wolfenden
Capitani (2)Grace

Complete game local rivals Ashton come to town and do we batter them, for 85 minutes they dont get a shot on target, unfortunately we have a player sent of in the 86 and a penalty mines they manage to late goals but the fans dont care as the FC United band wagon just keeps rolling

Workington 2 - 2 FC United
Platt
Cham

View attachment 272380
Another stunning month, we're just 6 games short of the end of the season, the players, the staff including myself are tired its been a long season so far the 6 Goals we've scored against team like Ashton, Halesowen and Grantham have been great, speaking of Halesowen they've mounted a small rival but it appears themselves and Trafford will be going down joined by 2 from about 6 other teams including both local rivals Ashton teams.

For us its simple 6 Games 18 points up for grabs, King's Lynn our now nearest rivals can get to 94 Points so 1 win and its ours, I try not to pressure the team but the next match is HOME to Frickley a team we already beat 3-2 away surely this is our moment. Will the 04th April be League title day and promotion

April

We lose a game in April BUT its because I'm trying out new players and WHY, cause "We are top of the league I say we are top of the league" Champions WEEP ticker tape parade and all open top bus ride isnt likely BUT what do I care the boys played well and in the way I certain Premiership Manager talks "
I hate to speak about individuals. Players don't win you trophies, teams win trophies, squads win trophies."

Fixtures

FC United 2 - 0 Frickley
Stott
Ambalu

It was the game we wanted it was the game we played, 2 Nil up after 15 minutes Frickley just were never in it and we were Champions, My brain was already working before the final whistle on area's I wanted to strengthen for next season and looking at the bench I needed to give those players some game minutes.

Matlock 1 - 0 FC United

SO we'd won the league 2 days later we played again I made 7 changes, however most of them hadnt kicked a ball in anger in a month, we dominated the game in front of goal but couldnt get a break through. Matlock scored early in the 2nd half and we played out time.

FC United 4 - 2 Marine

Ambalu
Cham (2)
Capitani

FC United 3 - 0 Stourbridge
Stott
Brownhill
Ambalu

May

Last 2 games of the season were played at the start of May, so I tagged them into the story here, I looked around the market only one of my targets, gave me a hint he might sign so we jumped in doubling my highest salary from £350 to £700 to secure his services. I'm going to look at bringing in a couple of Defenders I wasnt happy about the 2 Centre Halfs all season and it was the position I played with the most. I'll also need a strong midfielder as Zazrivec's loan is due to expire and I'm not sure he'll be strong enough next season.

Fixtures

Belper 3 - 4 FC United
Moult
Ambalu (2)
Grace

Skelmersdale 2 - 4 FC United
Ambalu
Cham
Wolfenden
Zazrivec

View attachment 272340
So 1st season Champions 100+ goals and points, worrying 7 defeats so that needs to improve next season.

View attachment 272338
Godden is a young upcoming striker at Ebbsfleet, Vandarama South Champions this season he's managed to play in about half of there winning games scoring 8 in 15 games, so I was happy when after a brief phone conversation the club allowed me to talk to the player, Matt was initially skeptical of the move but after assuring him I'd tracked his progress most of the season and wanted him to lead my promotional charge next season we agreed a £25K fee to bring Matt to the side for 2 seasons in the progress making him my highest paid player.

FC United End of Season 1 Review

View attachment 272333

A great team ethic this year pushed us through a poor run before Christmas, we spent the whole year scoring goals, however even with the signing of a keeper and strong midfielder we conceded more than I wanted as well, I've signed Cham, Wright and Grace to part-time contracts and hope I can keep the main group together through the summer, as the players go on holiday I know I need some strength in depth next season including a couple of hard CB's

In other news Halesowen, Barwell, Cuzon & Trafford drop out of this divison oh and Arch rivals this season Ilkeston we'll be bumping horns against again next season as they got promoted via the play offs dammit, We will be in the Vandarama North, and effectively 2 of the proper leagues and Full time players. That my prove costly so for season two I need to look at pay & play contracts as they way forward.

I'm excited and worried about the next step BUT only time will tell on how we cope

Last edited:
FC United Season 2

So the board were a little harsh with me close season transfer funds were limited, I asked to see if they could find a senior affiliate BUT even though they agreed that was a good idea, we came up short and once again I shall have to rely on my Scouts and Myself when it comes to finding talent, I was happy that Zazrivec agreed to an extension for another 12 months, however I plan on moving him to his preferred position for the start of the season as Right Back.

Boards Goals for the Season

So the board as suggesting we are Play Off hopefuls this season could be dangerous but we'll have a go,
Play Offs
FA Cup Rnd 1 proper
FA Trophy Final

New Blood

View attachment 272283
Irish Striker brought in from Morecombe of the Vandarama Premier on a free transfer and listed as my Star Player, I can see plenty of goals from him this season

View attachment 272281
Sam Sheridan, picked up on a free, previously he's played at Bolton, Stockport and Barrow. He's going to slot into the Zazrivec's position who I've now moved to Right Back

View attachment 272278
Ben Barber in on a season long loan he'll slot straight into the 1st team and control that left flank, I'm hoping for a lot of assists for the season.

Formation

View attachment 272276
My plan is to inter change the front 3 and of course Moogan will when fit slot back into his Anchor Roll, Habit Cham should also feature in some games as we go along and although starting on the bench Silk was last years player of the season

Wow you're pumping out updates. Congrats on the promotion!

Wow you're pumping out updates. Congrats on the promotion!

Hahaha, thanks I had a few hours spare before the LIVE football started today, so it was a few cups of coffee and a few hours of game time :) unfortunately not many more for today, so Season 2 will have to wait for a few hours! :)

Wow this is great! I recently started my own FC United Save. Have achieved promotion to the conference but really struggling at the moment. Any tips on tactics/personnel? People who are working out for you? Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow this is great! I recently started my own FC United Save. Have achieved promotion to the conference but really struggling at the moment. Any tips on tactics/personnel? People who are working out for you? Good luck and keep us posted!

Hmm I use a tactic formation loaded up from on here http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...246640-tinkermans-goalscoring-strikefore.html

Just with a couple of my own tweaks, false 9s are hard to come by in the lower divisions so I normally change them to Defensive Forwards, Jake Moult has been a really good CM for me the 1st season and I see him lasting into season 2, Joel Ambalu has also been good as one of the Defensive Forwards, I also find a young kid as Habit Cham played him as Poacher 1st season scoring 30+ goals however, I think Paddy Amond will take his spot this coming season

That was a great first season! Good luck moving forward

Thanks All

Season 2 will begin later tonight I hope, pre season is done. The boys and myself are feeling confident for at least a top half finish.

Just a quick update on my story, my cloud save messed up last night as I went to start Season 2, I've had to roll back to a previous save which meant I had to play the last 6 games of the previous season lucky I had saved it when we clinched promotion, ODDLY the results except for a goal here or a goal there went the same. The negative bit none of the players I'd signed in pre-season would now join me this season.

Godden and Amond both resigned for there prespective clubs, Sam Sheridan decided to join someone else and as we finished the pre season Ben Barbers parent club says this time round he needs to play with higher quality players rude.

So this evening I plan to start Season 2 off with revised look at the new squad.

MEH ..

Last edited: