Taking over Manchester 1 league at a Time

Agreed, I think my season 2 later might be harder though, as certainly Amond, Barber and Godden would of been quality in the team. Also quite a few of my 1st 11 wanted significant wage rises to continue playing so its a thread bear squad later. Update pending

Convincing promotion in the first season; I'll be giving this a follow!

great idea for a story!! I will follow this one good luck

Season 2 August

So after a troubled close season we start with 4 friendlies even with my depleted side I'm pleased we win 2 lose 2 score a few, the players seem relatively happy. (Unfortunately do to the Cloud) My team isnt quite as strong as I hoped but with a fair wind behind us we should manage at least to get to the play offs well thats my goal, I explained to the players I'd be happy with a top of the table finish. I've changed to the system slightly as I couldnt secure the services of the strikers I'd of ideal chosen.

View attachment 271576
Jonathan, was one of the few players who early on has agreed to join the squad I already see him as a key player he will knit the defence and midfield together and give us the platform to push forward.

View attachment 271575

So at the start of the season I'm stuck with 18 players, it was a terrible close season as I said already with a number of players wanting big contracts to stay I just couldnt convince them I was the right man to take them forward.

View attachment 271573
So here we go 1st games a few days away home to Guiseley. Lets do this Boys ......

August

Kick of 5 Games in August will see us with 3 home & 2 Away we score loads of goals however I appear to have the leakest defence since the Titannic so some work to be done there. A home game against local rivals Stockport would be a rude awakening, however a final day of the month home game against another local rival would proof that scoring wins games.

Fixtures

FC United 4 - 2 Guiseley
Cham (2)
Stott (2 ones a Penalty)

Ouch what a starting game 15 mintues in I'm 2 down and panicking, this is going to be the season from ****, 45 minutes in and we're level 2-2, 2 goals in the last 5 minutes from Stott, one a header from a corner and then a well taken pen, after a few well chosen words to my Strikers at half time allowing a CD to take all the credit, we score 2 more and run out easy winners

Solihull Moors 0 - 2 FC United
Ambalu (2)

FC United 2 - 4 Stalybridge
Ambalu
Moult

Two nil up after 5 minutes I was predicting a 6 or 7 nil to us, what the **** happened, The Bridge turned up the heat and totally mulled us OMG it was painful .. Best player on the park was moult with a score of 6.7 worst 3 players with 5.00 Jesus

Nuneaton 1 - 3 FC United
Ambalu (2)
Kenton (O.G)

FC United 3 - 1 Hyde
Cham
Gascoigne
Ambalu

View attachment 271524
5 Games in FINISH the season now, 2nd .. yeps 2nd highest goal scorer, 2 people in the top 5 for ratings OMG dream start. I settle down for with my wine in the late August sun. Flyde look strong 5 unbeaten. I know I need to strength at the back, but with no-one interested in joining on load and no real power players to call on I'm sure the winter of November and December may bring me down to earth, however with 6 games in September we could be a quarter of the season gone before the 1st falls of snow.

Last edited:
September

Brilliant month 6 games we win 4 lose 2 one of them I'm still not sure how, we catch Flyde and I'm suddenly looking down on everyone what's going on

Fixtures

Bradford PA 3 - 0 FC United

We start the month with a total mauling, from the moment we kicked off till the final whistle we just weren't in the game. I tried everything subs, swapping players positions. pushing up dropping off. In the end I was just happy we only let in 3 and it wasnt worse. After the game I have a mini bust up with youngster Grace he was at fault for at least 2 of the goals & I decide its time to let another CB in.

FC United 5 - 1 Harrogate
Ambalu
Stott
Perry (O.G)
Gascoigne (2)

Hednesford 1 - 5 FC United
Moult
Ambalu (2)
Hewson
Dixon

Two 5 goal games on the run, wow we really are on a run here, unfortunately with this win comes a couple of injuries, my third forward Pearson "2 Months" Gascoigne "3 months" and one of the CBs "2 Weeks" I mention to Grace that he'll get the next game. If only you could go back in time and change your mind.

FC United 1 - 2 Leamington
Cham

****** GRACE 1 Nil up 2 minutes to go and 2 shocking pieces of defending Leam have 2 shots and score them both. WTF. Grace is on thin ice. Will he play for me again UNLIKELY

Gainsborough 0 - 4 FC United
Swallow
Rea

Ambalu

Russell (O.G)

FC United 2 - 0 Stockport
Stott (Pen)
Swallow

2nd clean sheet in a row, this makes me feel better than just the win, Swallow is my new Number 9 having joined as Pearson is out for a few months and Rea from the pervious games scores in filling in for Gascoigne. The team feels more solid without Grace, I feel sorry for the 20yr old but its time he sat back and learned a little bit.

View attachment 271477
Really happy with the month we should of only lost one game BUT cant cry over spilit milk we can learn from that. We've finally got past Flyde and now its about holding onto this spot and keeping everyone else behind us. I mention to the players its good to see 4 of them topping the average ratings and the futures bright as we enter the cold winds of winter. If we can still be in and around the top 5 at Christmas and I can strengthen in the right areas. I think we could really push on in the new year

October
Great Start to the month followed by a dodgy spell in the middle and a good end see's me messing with the formation and shipping lots of goals but having an unbeaten month, unfortunately I can't seem to shake of Flyde and the game at the start of December could be a title one already.

Fixtures

Chorley 0 - 3 FC United
Stott
Ambalu
Swallow

FC United 3 - 2 Gloucester
Cham
Moult
Bird

Hmm we go 3 games without letting any in and 75 minutes into the game then bam bam 2 quick ones and this starts a worrying middle of the month wobble. Bird is a new striker see his stats further down. Pearson I picked up on a free at the start of the season isnt firing and his replacement Swallow got injured in the last game I fancy Bird, Ambalu and Cham to be my front three the rest of the season.

FC United 2 - 2 Brackley
Moult
Ambalu

What the 2 Nil up cruising I dont change anything pew pew 2 goals in the last 15 minutes again Hmmm

Ilkeston 2 - 2 FC United
Cham
Bird

Arghhh again 2 Nil up into the last 15 minutes and pew pew a draw against last year player off team and our nearest challenger this year there languishing near the bottom just above relegation yet draw with us. I give the players a month full at full time and we are still in the dressing room 2 hours after the final whistle. I decide to change the defenders slightly for the next game

FC United 5 - 1 Solihull Moors FA Cup 2nd Qual Rnd
Stott (2 inc a Penalty)
Ambalu

Hall
Moult

FC United 3 - 1 Boston
Moult (2)
Bird

Worcester 3 - 2 FC United
Bird (2 inc a Penalty)

OMG again we go backwards final game of the month 2-1 up last 15 mintues and ship 2 silly goals, I can't get my head round what these Defenders are thinking. I spend a few minutes at the end of the game explaining MY TEAMS will play for 90+ minutes every game or some people wil be looking for new clubs

View attachment 270695

Bird will slot into my NEW number 9 position, I see him as a Target Man/Poacher and once up to match fitness a goal machine

View attachment 270694
Leaky defence is costing us a strong lead in the division Flyde are proving a tough challenge and that final game of the month defeat against Worcester will enough said, Hitchin already look dead and buried and change there manager during the month.

November
A good start in the league is again marred with goals going in like confetti being thrown at a wedding. I'm struggling to get my head around why it appears this way and instead of completely blaming the players look at tweaking the system slightly. with 4 wins 1 draw and a defeat. I should I think be happy we are still bouncing around the top of the league at half way

Fixtures

FC United 3 - 0 Dunston FA Cup Qual 3rd Rnd
Bird
Cham
Moult

FC United 2 - 1 Telford
Gascoigne
Bird

Hitchin 0 - 4 FC United
Moult
Gascoigne
Bird
Moult

League's worst team against League's best scoring team, hello where's my 6 or 7 goals, but 4 would have to do.

FC United 3 - 5 Worcester FA Cup 4th Rnd Qual
Cham
Bird
Gascoigne

Arghhhhhhhhh not a again the Worcester quickly becoming my bogey team we give away 2 penalties, and all 5 of there goals are scored in the 2nd half, 3 of them in the final 10 minutes when we're leading 3-2. Nti scores 4 of them. I hate this team.

FC United 2 - 2 Tamworth
Bird
Cham

Of the back of the mauling from Worcester we let in 2 goals in the 1st 5 minutes before steadying and coming back into the game with the number of chances we should of been over the hill and far away by the 90th minute.

Worksop 2 - 4 FC United FA Trophy North 3rd Qual Rnd
Ambalu
Bird (2)
Gascoigne

View attachment 270681

So that's it half time in the season a point behind Flyde my next game is them at home could be a corker, and do I need to tighten up that defence in someway or just go for it .. attack attack attack

Hitchin dont get a point all November and now really are adrift. With only one champions gauranted promotion I need to keep gathering the points

December
Good starting game we put Flyde to the sword and they slowly drop off as title challengers, unfortunately I continue to push the boys about letting goals in and our season starts to get a little stressful. I'm worried I might have messed to much with the system and we could lose the plot

Fixtures

FC United 5 - 1 Flyde
Bird
Cham (2)
Ambalu
Gascoigne

Now that was a performance a sign of things to come, erm NO after this we go on a silly run of draws, losses and occasional wins

FC United 1 - 2 Barrow FA Trophy North St Rnd
Gascoigne

Well thats cup football done for the year and before Christmas did we deserve to lose, probable we appear to lost the edge after the Flyde game

FC United 1 - 1 Solihull Moors
Cham

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh awful rubbish terrible

Stalybridge 1 - 3 FC United
Ambalu
Bird (Pen)
Regan (O.G)

Back to some sort of decent football maybe at last this will last.

View attachment 270360
See Gainsborough back there in about 4th some 9 points away from us at the moment. Hmm well what if I was to say in a few months they'd be pushing us for the top spot exactly shouldnt happen surely we are well clear. Hmm dont you bet on it we just aren't playing well AND I cant find the players to improve what I have a depressing Christmas.

January
I wish I could spell out a successful month we manage to hang onto top spot with some dodgy football, I start to get other job offers, however I dont know if this is unsettling the players however I try and tell everyone I'm very happy where I am. Well we have a 6 Year play to move up the leagues.

View attachment 270354

Fixtures

FC United 3 - 1 Nuneaton
Cham (2)
Stott

Goals and a steady game nice start to the month

Hyde 2 - 1 FC United
Swallow

Local rivals we take an early led totally boss the 1st half but only 1 goal to show for it .. then I've kicking water bottles and screaming at the linesman as we let in 2 again in the last 10 minutes

Guiseley 1 - 1 FC United
Moult

Midfielder rescues us a point just

FC United 2 - 1 Bradford PA
Bird (2 penalties)

Hmm maybe I've tweaked the system too much for sure goals against is on the rise and now the strikers seem to have gone awol. I need to sort it soon the season is passing quickly.

View attachment 270352
See little Gainsborough are putting games in the bag and slowly start to pull us back. I'm really getting twitchy at the top. Its not always nice to be out in front. At the bottom Hitchin have managed to pick up just 2 points in the last 2 months surely gone gone gone

February
This proves to be my worse month of the season so far, with the rain, snow and ice on the ground. I think by changing the tactics slightly game by game I have my players confused and by the end of the month. It might be me that's about to be caught but now not just by Gainsborough the pack of wolfs are closing and my strikers need to save my season. In other news the Jobs offers start to dry up as the results change

Fixtures

Harrogate 0 - 0 FC United

Nothing to be said

Leamington 1 - 2 FC United
Moult
Gascoigne

Thank goodness for midfielders who can hit a ball from 35yrds

FC United 0 - 2 Hednesford

1 shot, all game not even on target, we did have 2 players suspended and a player sent off after 20 minutes but 1 shot.

FC United 1 - 1 Gainsborough
Bird

Stockport 1 - 0 FC United

Away local rivals, not a shot on target, silly 73rd minutes slip by the keeper lets in there number 9 and we get sent home with our tails between our legs season low point as I let fly with four letter abuse in the changing rooms after the game. WE cant continue playing this poorly.

FC United 2 - 0 Chorley
Cham
Ambalu

I change the tactics for this game still playing my 4-1-2-3 but drop the strikers a little to support the midlfield on either side of my main target man. Chorley dont get a shot on target and we secure an easy 2 zip scoreline at months end

View attachment 270351
So after the worst month of the season Gainsborough have gone from 9 points behind us in December to a difference of just 4 now. Suddenly we dont have a striker in the top 4 in the league and all round look nervous even little Hitchin pick up as many points nearly as us this month. But that last game at Chorley kept it honest and with just 9 games in the month remaining if we can win 8 of them it doesnt matter what anyone else does .... Roll on March and maybe some warmer weather

March
Five games through March, 5 wins would be outstanding, and put to bed my titles worries, however with in 5 minutes of the 1st game that idea is sunk and I realise this maybe the hardest 2 months of my management career. I'm constantly tweaking the system through the month but the results just wont come. I think my small squad has maybe run out of steam. I feel like Chelsea crawling over the finishing MAYBE

Fixtures

Gloucester 2 - 1 FC United
Moult

The goal didnt change anything 2 down in the 1st 20 minutes again a TEAM we should be beating easily and grey hairs are appearing.

Brackley 0 - 1 FC United
Gascoigne

Another scorcher from Gascoigne is the boys related to Gazza I need to check .. 35 yrds into the rough of the net , and we have 3 more precious points

FC United 2 - 2 Ilkeston
Bird (2 inc Pen)

Promoted with us last season, they've managed to draw both games with us this season and my silly 75+minute letting goals in again 2 in the latter stages of the game arghhh

Boston 4 - 4 FC United
Bird (2 inc Pen)
Moult

4-1 Up 20 mins to go ... why why why

FC United 3 - 3 Worcester
Bird
Cham
Moult

Yeps you guessed it 3 -1 up 15 mins to go. Doesnt seem to matter what I do, in that last 20 mins or so. WE just let in goals

END OF MARCH
View attachment 846805
The Blessing in disguise Gainsborough finally hit a little dodgy patch themselves and draw more than they win, I manage to get to the last 4 games of the season with breathing SPACE 2 points maybe enough.. Local rivals Stockport are looking good for a play off spot, early contenders Flyde are fighting for a spot too now and just checked we'll visit them at the end of the season. Hitchin dead and gone, although our other local rivals Hyde are playing with fire close to the bottom.

April
Last 4 games of the season left 12 points, it just shouldnt be this close. The bonus 1 more point will confirm a play of spot at least BUT the way we've finished the season. I would be panicking if it goes to that. WE need to go up at Champions or I think we'll be in this league next season. I'm already looking at some of these players as dead men walking, I have 5 players on pay as you play deals NONE of them have covered themselves in glory. However the review of the season MOST wait these 4 games will make a lot of differences

Fixtures

Telford 1 - 1 FC United
Gascoigne

For once we play catch up and its us that score in the 90th minute, good job as Gainsborough WIN. It 71Pts each and me on goal difference **** **** ****

FC United 3 - 0 Hitchin
Gascoigne
Bird
Butler (o.g)

Yes what a time to play league dead team walking they have nothing to play for and nevermind 3 we could of should of walked away with 8 or 9. Still a little worried about our strikers firing. Gainsborough Draw 74pts - 72Pts

Tamworth 0 - 3 FC United

wiped out from start to finish nothing I did changed the domination of Tamworth it was like we just didnt turn up. last game of the season and OMG we could still blow this!! 74pts, Gainsborough get a draw again 73Pts

Last GAME of the SEASON
What a game, I make some changes before the game, tweak the system a little bit. We will still play a Controlled, Fluid Style but I've spoken to the players NO SILLY 50/50 passes this game, however one speaking to the 3 strikers, I remind them Bird, Cham and Ambalu they NEED to get us goals.

Flyde 0 - 5 FC United
Ambalu
Stott
Bird (3 inc Pen)

OMG best game of the season Flyde early season pace setters smashed destroyed hammered into the ground. CAUSE we is top of the league WE IS TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!

View attachment 270167
Was a terrible last 3 months BUT somehow we manage to keep it together, and finially get over the line. We do end with a goalscorer in the top 4 finally that makes me feel a little better.

View attachment 270166
The other Managers decide that, this was enough for me to lift the title of Manager of the Year. Well its always nice to be mentioned by your peers, however this is only the start. Thats 2 promotions on the bonunce and now WE will be only 1 league away for the proper professional big boys..... Manchester needs to start worrying.

View attachment 270164
I decided to free the none contracted players, push a few of the under 18's into the 1st team squad, the strikers, and midfielders did enough to earn 1 year extensions. While only the 2 CBs did enough to keep themselves in, Stott is my Club Captain and Appleby played a few games towards the end and did enought to consider keeping on Loan next season. My biggest problem is finding DECENT WBs and 1 or 2 back up to flush the squad out a bit.

Season 3 Preview
3rd Season I'm a little worried now we've done really well 2 promotions on the trot and sit just one league below the big boys on full time contracts. My biggest worry keeping the squad together & being able to challenge its been painful constantly trying to get quality players to keep us pushing for the top spots and it might be time to spend a season in the same league and consolidate what we have

Board Objectives & Request
For the 3rd season running I ask if we can get a senior Affiliate we try and we fail again no-one wants to team up with us. The board suggest this could be a had season
Avoid Relegation
FA Cup 1st Rnd Proper
FA Trophy Semi-Final

Players in & Out
I lost a few players at the end of the season as I decided quickly they wouldnt be up to the Conference Premier. I didnt think other teams would already stat cherry picking my Squad, I lose my Keeper and Gascoigne in Midfield but do make 25K for them Below are a couple of the players we bring in.

View attachment 269673
Lee Robinson ex Ranger youth team, spent a season at Bradford last year before they needed to offload him unfortunately he'll be unavailable for the start of the season BUT will be my No1 for at least the next few season I suspect

View attachment 269672
Filipe Melo OMG what a find what a gem for the Conference. A player that would grace maybe even Championship sides and at 26 a future legend at the club I feel and Hall of Fame. The most exciting bit I got him on a free 2 Seasons for Championship Side Sheffield Wednesday originally purchased for £350K they couldnt afford his wage demands and he was sat just waiting to be snapped up.

View attachment 269670
Another youngster to join the ranks this year and again on a free BUT immediately a 1st team starter Luke Conlan will control the left wing bank in my formation I hope for good things for this young man and again possible a player to climb the leagues with us.

View attachment 269667
This will be my starting squad for game one as some of the players above haven't moved in just yet, SO I predict August maybe a little of a dodgy month, September will be a time for us to Gel and then well we will maybe see where the league takes us from there.

Last edited:
August
Ok here we go NEW season, tougher games more stress, isnt this why we get into management, and at the moment everything is possible. We get off to a great start before the reality of the division sets in but overall not a bad month

Fixtures

Braintee 2 - 5 FC United
Bird (2)
Ambalu (2)
Moult

FC United 3 - 2 Chester
Cham (2)
Blake (og)

FC United 3 - 1 Macclesfield
McAllister
Ambalu
Oldnall

Forrest Green 0 - 2 FC United
Oldnall
Stott (Pen)

4 amazing 1st 4 games, I'd say we were lucky in both the Macclesfield & Chester games and I was already working on strengthing. EACH game at least one player was injured for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. By the next game 5 I was running out of Midfielders and Attacks to field and it soon showed.

Lincoln 3 - 2 FC United
McAllister
Oldnall

And my final midfielder MacAllister goes down with an injury after 20 minutes, Oldnall is now also my only fit Striker and I have 5 on the books frustrating times.

FC United 1 - 3 Cheltenham
Stott

View attachment 269657
Not as bad as I feared 4 wins, 2 defeats 5th would be a good season if it finished now. SO not so bad. Gainsborough who came up with us in the play offs, are already struggling.

September
Yeps as predicted now were seeing better teams with more skills, showing us how to play football. I have a few injuries as well and with that we just about hold the month together, WE need to improve through October or we may find ourselves heading more towards the bottom than the top.

Fixtures

FC United 2 - 0 Gainsborough
Ambalu
Elding

FC United 1 - 1 Kiddiminster
Cham

Sutton 1 - 1 FC United
Ambalu (Pen)

Eastleigh 0 - 1 FC United
Bird

FC United 1 - 2 Grimsby
Elding

5 Games 2 wins, 2 draws and that rubbish defeat at the end if we'd gone through the month undefeated it would of felt better but finally at least most of my injured players look like there on the mend so possible maybe we can look for a decent October

View attachment 269644
So 8th a few points of the play-offs so not so bad, Gainsborough have finally found some form as well and we are both effectively in mid table, and looking ok.

October
This is a watershed month for me, It started rocky, I made some strong decisions by the 2nd game of the month and by then end of the month the team has gone through a mini culling, I cut us down to a mini working squad but it means I can pay quality players decent wages and I think by the end of October injuries permitting I have something that can secure a top 6 finish and be in with a chance of promotion

Fixtures

FC United 3 - 1 Wrexham
Theophanous (2)
Ellam (og)

Alferton 3 - 0 FC United

This was the game as we rode home on the coach a number of the players were laughing and giggling as though it'd been a good day. I was livid. Well as of tomorrow this would change and I decided it was time to let some players go clear out the the wages and bring in a bit more quality.

View attachment 269628
Rock solid defender, Aran if I hadnt already had a Captain in place would take the armband, he will lead the back line and push and shove players into place. I wish he was 4 years younger but you cant have everything. He will be in the squad for the next couple of years

View attachment 269626
Santos my 2nd player from Portugal he and Melo will be good friends I think and at 21 he is at the other end of his career to Arnason they will form a fine wall in front of the keeper with Melo sat just in front.

View attachment 269625
Walton will sit just in behind the front three. He can spray the ball left and right .. take control at the free kicks and just keep the ball moving.

View attachment 269624
McAllister started off with us on loan but now becomes a full team member, he will control behind the 3 stikers working with Walton and with these 4 effectively new players I have what I consider a top 6 team. While securing these 4 players, I've let 8 of my 1st team squad go

FC Halifax 1 - 4 FC United
McAllister
Grandison
Walton
Bird

FC United 2 - 0 Altrincham
Oldnall
Theophanous

FC United 3 - 1 Barrow
Walton
Santos
Theophanous

Gateshead 0 - 1 FC United
Arnason

View attachment 269623
So the new signings prove there worth in the last 4 games of October we go unbeated with them in the side. Moving into 3rd spot and just 3 pts off top. Gainsborough have a dodgy month and slide back towards the drop zone. Barrow who we've already beaten once this season prop up the divison and are already slipping away

November
The new players start to bed in, I decide to try and stay hands off and just let the players do that talking on the pitch, with this smaller squad I dont have to worry so much about who's playing and who's not and by the end of November it's us looking down on everyone else

Fixtures

Boreham Wood 0 - 3 FC United (TV)
McAllister
Oldnall
Arnold (og)

FC United 2 - 0 Hartlepool
Bird
McAllister
Oh Mr Jeff Sterling I wonder how you explain this one on Soccer Saturday, 2 nil should of been 6 if my strikers were better, Hartlepool demolished
Aldershot 2 - 3 FC United
Theophanous
Bird
McAllister

Bradford PA 1 - 3 FC United FA Cup 4th Qual
McAllister
Bird
Renee-Pringle (og)

An easy game as we brush aside a poor Bradford PA side and that gets us to at least one of the Boards goals FA Cup Rnd 1 proper

FC United 4 - 0 Woking
Bird
Arnason
McAllister
Walton (Pen)

FC United 1 - 1 Ebbsfleet
Bird

Disappointing game, one we should of won, when not managing FC United this is one of my favourite lower league teams for easy promotions BUT we should of buried them 3 or 4 nil again poor in front of goal

Accrington 1 - 4 FC United
Bird (2 inv Pen)
Walton
Oldnall
View attachment 269532
Never bad when you go unbeaten and nice for it to be noted, not surprising it has come at a time when I through my toys out the pram after a crushing 3 nil home defeat.

View attachment 269531
So half way 23 games in and we finally push on to the top spot now then, just the matter of 23 more games to go to hold on and secure the top spot, in early December I get a message from the board to say they now expect a top finish or at least the play offs, I agree but ask for a small transfer kitty and a small increase to the wages this is agreed and I start looking for an extra striker to boost the team. Disappointing to see Gainsborough now slip into the bottom 4. I dont think they're playing that bad and hope they can push back up the league.