Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K
Bad result with Chelsea but nice win in the second game of BPL. Good lucky against Dynamo ! One suggestion, why not trying to play with MR and ML instead of AMR and AML in the games against bigger teams ? It may be helpfull since you will be have a more narrow formation (less free space for the opponent).

Last edited:
Ba result with Chelsea but nice win in the second game of BPL. Good lucky against Dynamo ! One suggestion, why not trying to play with MR and ML instead of AMR and AML in the games against bigger teams ? It may be helpfull since you will be have a more narrow formation (less free space for the opponent).

I've considered that actually, trouble is I usually like at least one inside forward as opposed to an out and out winger, and most of my players are more comfortable in the attacking midfield strata rather than regular midfield. Still might happen though, I won't rule it out and thanks for the suggestion :)

UEFA Champions League Playoff - Second Leg - Dynamo Kyiv (Away)

Second leg against Dynamo today. An away goal will put us in a really strong position, as they would need three to progress. More rotation in the lineup, as Augustinsson makes his debut at left back.

In the 13th minute Zivkovic played a nice ball to Pjaca, who cut inside skilfully and lashed a powerful shot at goal, but Koval turned it behind.

In the 18th minute a long ball from deep in the Dynamo half beat Palombo and Moraes was clean through on goal. He couldn’t beat Dragowski though, the young keeper beating away his shot and Van Dijk smashing it behind for a corner.

30 seconds later after working the ball around, Moraes had a crack through traffic and saw his shot whistle high and wide, but not far away.

In the 21st minute Zivkovic hit a first time shot from the edge of the box and struck the outside of the far post.

A 45th minute Ward-Prowse was flicked on by Van Dijk at the near post, and Palombo’s back post header was cleared off the line!

In the 47th minute an inch-perfect cross from Cedric looped perfectly into the box, and Kießling had timed his run perfectly to casually volley home and put us in the lead! It was a simple yet beautiful looking goal.

In the 59th minute Kießling released Pjaca on the counter, and the Croatian played a sumptuous cross to the far post, where Zivkovic met it - but was denied by a sensational save from Koval! That would have wrapped up the tie for sure!

In the 62nd minute Slattery and Juanmi replaced Davis and Zivkovic, with Pjaca and Juanmi switching wings.

Clasie replaced Wanyama in the 72nd minute.

In the 85th minute Khacheridi barged through the back of Kießling, picking up his second yellow card in the process.

A solid team performance saw us progress into the Champions League Group Stage. Cedric, Ward-Prowse and Augustinsson, on debut, were particularly impressive. Dragowski is yet to concede a goal in 3 starts so far this season, so will keep his place ahead of Forster for now.

POM: Oleg Gusev (Dynamo Kyiv - 8.6, 0G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Cedric (8.2, 0G, 1A)

Great to see you making it to the group stages of the Champions League, here's hoping you'll have a favourable draw!

Southampton vs Leeds. Will it be the falling off of PatricLFC and colmcool?

Dun dun dunnnnnn

The Champions League Draw has been extraordinarily kind to us! The new seeding rules hand us Monaco as our number one seed, and this is a group we can definitely challenge in, and hopefully finish second or maybe third. Having said that, every team is competitive and of a similar level, so it should be a close fought group. Groups D and especially H look like nightmares!

Favourable group draw, I'd say. Avoiding Madrid, Barca and Bayern is a pretty good thing. :)

Good draw in the Champions league, one of those groups where everyone can beat each other

Favourable group draw, I'd say. Avoiding Madrid, Barca and Bayern is a pretty good thing. :)

Yeah for sure, happy to avoid all of the big guns like that :)

Good draw in the Champions league, one of those groups where everyone can beat each other

I agree for sure. We could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th, but I'm happy with it. The email said we were handed a tough group but I'd prefer this group to one where the best we can hope for is 2nd

English Premier League - Game 3 - West Ham (Away)

West Ham are a tricky opponent, and I’m certainly not taking them lightly! Hopefully we can head into the international break on a high.

In the 27th minute we took the lead, as Davis played a brilliant defence-splitting ball for Pjaca, who showed great awareness to hold it up and slip in Rodriguez, who drilled it first time into the bottom corner!

In the 31st minute Ramirez gave the ball away and Reid launched it upfield for Sakho. He switched the play over to Payet, who hit the post!

In the 47th minute we doubled our lead with an eerily similar goal to our first one. Davis sent Pjaca through with a brilliant raking pass, the Croatian slipped in Rodriguez, who finished first time.

In the 50th minute Payet’s effort from range seemed to catch Dragowski by surprise, and he watched it hit the post again, and rebound into his arms.

Dario Rodriguez replaced Ramirez in the 67th minute.

Ward-Prowse replaced Clasie in the 72nd minute.

Tadic replaced Pjaca in the 77th minute, swapping wings with Dario Rodriguez.

In the 83rd minute Augustinsson sent a sensational cross to the far post, and Tadic was there to tap it home for his first of the season.

Jose Fonte helped preserve our clean sheet with a fantastic 87th minute block on Valencia inside the 6 yard box.

Tadic tested Adrian from range in the 89th, and he spilled it, but was able to regather before anyone could pounce.

Outstanding performance today, and a comprehensive win. We had a bit of luck on our side, as West Ham hit the post twice with the game still up for grabs, but I definitely felt we deserved the win. Rodriguez and Pjaca combined brilliantly for two goals, with the assistance of the imperious Davis. I almost started Rodriguez on the left wing with Kießling up top, but the pair I chose were crucial to our win.

POM: Jay Rodriguez (9.0, 2G, 0A)

The only major deal missing here is Shaqiri to Liverpool for 22.5m, potentially rising to 29 I believe. The Manchester clubs were particularly active, whilst across the continent I was particularly impressed with Napoli, bringing in both Calhanoglu and Berardi, amongst other first team players, plus one or two talented youngsters. They reinvested the Higuain money from Man United pretty well I think.

A very nice win against West Ham ! As far the group stage is concerned , all the groups seem quite equal if you wnt my opinion. At least you manage to avoid the very big teams of Europe!

A very nice win against West Ham ! As far the group stage is concerned , all the groups seem quite equal if you wnt my opinion. At least you manage to avoid the very big teams of Europe!

Yeah I agree, can't complain about the group draw at all! And the West Ham performance was outstanding :)

Some wheeling and dealing going on there Patty! Looks like you've picked up some gems!

Back