Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K
Tough break mate - but at least you got the tough game out of the way first. Here's hoping you can roll Japan and Canada!

Tough break mate - but at least you got the tough game out of the way first. Here's hoping you can roll Japan and Canada!

Thanks Yeti, we'll see, might be better off not qualifying tbh

Olympics Group Stage - Game 2 - Japan U/23's

A change of formation and personnel was selected more or less based on who was the least exhausted. Let’s see how we go.

We fell behind in the 9th minute to a close range effort.

Forsberg capitalised on a terrible back pass to equalise for us in the 49th minute.

Engvall blasted wide two minutes later from a good position.

Forsberg, Gustafson and Ekdal were replaced by Augustinsson, Olsson and Quaison in the 55th minute.

A cross from deep by Wahlqvist was volleyed home by Augustinsson at the back post in the 61st minute, but he was ruled offside.

Neither team created anything further as we played out a draw.

We now rely on Brazil beating Japan, and ourselves beating Canada, by a combined total of at least 5 goals to progress, though I’m not all that fussed if we don’t, because it means I can stop running these poor players into the ground.

POM: Takumi Minamino (Japan - 8.6, 1G, 0A)

Best Sweden Player: Gustav Engvall (7.2, 0G, 0A)

Some tough games there, good luck for the remainder!

Some tough games there, good luck for the remainder!

Thanks mate, probably one the one left. If we qualify we have a quarter final three days later which I don't actually want, because firstly, my players will probably have condition of around 60-70%, and secondly, my first Premier League match is on that day, against defending champions Chelsea

Olympics Group Stage - Game 3 - Canada U/23's

If we beat Canada and Brazil beat Japan, we might go through to the quarter finals. As it’s in 3 days time, I’m not sure I want to.

Eliasson was denied at the near post by a good save in the 17th minute.

Forsberg was denied by a last ditch tackle 8 minutes later after good work from Augustinsson.

In the 51st minute, Engvall fired wide in identical fashion to last game’s 51st minute opportunity! I could hardly blame the poor kid, whose condition was 51%!

He was replaced in the 54th minute by Quaison. Olsson and Lindelöf were simultaneously substituted for Gustafson and Bergström.

Gustafson crashed a header into the bar from Forsberg’s 69th minute free kick.

Our brilliant team move in the 85th minute culminated in Eliasson firing straight into the arms of the keeper. He was one of four players with condition in the mid-40% range.

We drew with a much weaker side despite outshooting them 15-1. Both fullbacks were outstanding today, and indeed, all tournament, particularly in the case of Wahlqvist. I came so close to signing him for Southampton last season, and on this body of evidence, he would certainly fit right in. Our tournament comes to an end, and I doubt I’m the only one relieved, as I struggle to see how our squad of 16 would have managed to get through another match in 3 days time. Perhaps our backup keeper would have played outfield? Turns out Japan beat Brazil, so a win would have been meaningless anyway.

POM: Ludwig Augustinsson (8.1, 0G, 0A)

Unlucky mate! Did it auto-remove you as coach at the end? If so, looking to get into International coaching again soon?

Unlucky mate! Did it auto-remove you as coach at the end? If so, looking to get into International coaching again soon?

It did, and maybe. Depends on what's available I guess, more than happy to just stick with Southampton for the time being.

My Under 21’s side, admittedly with the assistance of Davis, Ramirez and Kießling, tore Arsenal Under 21’s to shreds! Gitschier, Rodriguez and Slattery were all in fine form.

Injury News...
And then Gitschier was injured the very next day as some idiot decided he should back up for the Under 18’s! I think it's my assistant manager. Not impressed at all!

Zivkovic and Rodriguez look like they could form a formidable partnership if they can carry their preseason form into the season!

Zivkovic and Rodriguez look like they could form a formidable partnership if they can carry their preseason form into the season!

Absolutely, both of them scoring regularly, a few times as a strike partnership in a diamond actually

English Premier League - Game 1 - Chelsea (Away)

First league match of the new season, and travelling to the defending champions is as tough as it gets! New signings Radu and Zivkovic start, with Pjaca and Milik also on the bench. Augustinsson, despite my efforts to rest him where possible during the Olympics, is still very jaded and so will be rested for a few matches. Targett has been loaned to Aberdeen.

Forster was the first keeper called into serious action, making a solid save from a vicious Hazard strike in the 6th minute.

A minute later Diego Costa nipped in between the centre backs to redirect a Mario Fernandes cross past Forster and put Chelsea in front.

Incredibly, within a minute we were two down, as another cross from the right - this time Cuadrado - found Costa for a header which Forster should have saved, but didn’t.

In the 21st minute the Chelsea players were afforded a criminal amount of time on the ball in the box, and Hazard had a point blank shot saved by Forster.

In the 27th minute Fabregas scored a sublime free kick to bury us.

In the 32nd minute we were hit on the counter, as Cedric missed a simple header and Hazard was through, and within seconds Matic was on the scoresheet too.

Forster made a top save from Costa in the 44th minute.

In the 52nd minute Van Dijk replaced Bertrand and pushed Radu out to left back, whilst Ramirez replaced Zivkovic.

Two minutes later Ramirez made an impact, finding Rodriguez in the area, and Jay finished via the inside of the post.

Clasie replaced Ward-Prowse in the 61st minute.

Lucas Lima tested Forster from range in stoppage time, but he tipped it around the post.

An awful performance and result to open the season. Serious improvement will be required, and we are a long way from challenging for the Champions League, let alone the title, on this evidence. At least Jay Rodriguez is still scoring.

POM: Nemanja Matic (Chelsea - 9.0, 1G, 1A)

Best Southampton Player: Victor Wanyama (7.2, 0G, 0A)

UEFA Champions League Playoff - First Leg - Dynamo Kyiv (Home)

A rotated lineup for this mid week match. Slattery makes the bench, as does Joshua Debayo, a young left back who has some solid physical and mental stats, and who I’d like to give a chance whilst the higher-rated Targett is out on loan.

The first half didn’t provide a single highlight, and we went into the break still tied at nil all.

Ramirez replaced Pjaca in the 59th minute.

Kießling and Slattery replaced Milik and Davis in the 74th minute.

In the 79th minute a brilliant one-two between Clasie and Ramirez saw the Dutchman through on goal, but Koval made a superb stop to deny him the opener.

In the 93rd minute Clasie played a brilliant ball forward for Ramirez, who would have been through on goal had he not been pulled down by a defender - penalty! Kießling with the chance to be a hero on debut - goal! Straight down the middle as Koval dived to his left, and that was enough!

A much better performance today, as our defence was watertight, and Jordy Clasie bossed the midfield for us. We didn’t give up an away goal, and therefore if we score in Ukraine, they will need to score three to progress. Job well done.

POM: Jordy Clasie (8.6, 0G, 0A)

Not the best start to the season but at least it was the first game and not an important decider at the end of the season. It's all up from here.

English Premier League - Game 2 - Middlesbrough (Home)

Newly promoted Middlesbrough are our next opponents, and we really need to bounce back from our awful showing against Chelsea with a win here. The only summer signing in the starting lineup is Radu.

Much like the Dynamo Kyiv match, there was nothing happening in the first half, and we entered the break scoreless.

Davis replaced Ward-Prowse in the 57th minute.

In the 64th minute Luan swung a lovely cross into the 6 yard box, and Rodriguez darted in to turn it home and finally put us in front!

Zivkovic replaced Ramirez in the 68th minute.

Kießling replaced Tadic in the 75th, moving Rodriguez to the left wing.

In stoppage time Kießling played a lovely ball for Luan, but the right back’s vicious shot was well saved by Nyland.

The ball was cleared into touch, and from the throw Luan worked the ball to Clasie on the edge of the area, who laid it off to Davis, who took a touch and crashed an absolute beauty into the back of the net.

A comfortable win in the end. The standouts were the two fullbacks, Luan (9.0) and Bertrand (7.7), Clasie once again (9.0) and Davis (8.1) with a screamer off the bench. No complaints as we got the job done.

POM: Luan (9.0, 0G, 1A)

Back