Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K

FA Cup - Third Round Replay - Manchester City (Home)

FA Cup replay against Man City today. I’m frustrated because I forgot to stop Jay Rodriguez playing for the U21’s yesterday, so he’s tired, but he still starts up top. Milik scored 5 goals in the same U21 match (against Arsenal U21’s), and is rewarded with a place on the bench. Let’s hope we can get through this leg. Got to say, I don’t fancy Upamecano’s chances against Agüero and co.

Nasri missed from point blank in the 12th minute, firing straight at Forster.

In the 17th minute Angelo Palombo single handedly put us ahead. The man who had been picked out as our “weak link” pre match, charged at Kompany, in possession on the edge of his own box, and dispossessed the City captain, before striding into the box and blasting high across Hart into the top corner!

A flowing move in the 30th minute from Gitschier to Zivkovic and inside to Davis allowed the midfielder to tee up Gitschier, whose powerful effort was turned wide.

The resulting corner was worked into the box to Gitschier, who once again blasted at goal, and Hart spectacularly tipped it over the bar.

Sterling burst through in the 40th minute but his effort wasn’t testing enough, and Forster turned it wide.

In the 44th minute Zivkovic played an outrageous chipped ball forward and across the box for De Paul, who produced an unbelievable finish from a tight angle, absolutely smoking a volley into the near top corner, leaving Hart with no chance! Sensational finish in his first ever start for us!

I had probably done Jay Rodriguez a disservice by starting him when he was so tired - so, naturally, I replaced him with the similarly tired Milik in the 54th minute.

Cedric made a vital block on Volland in the 58th minute, from a play started by Zivkovic’s atrocious pass into our own box!

Gaya’s 63rd minute cross to Fernandinho was headed on to Volland by the Brazilian, and his header was plucked out of the air by Forster just as it seemed destined for the top corner.

A minute later we were down the other end, and Gitschier found Milik with a great ball. The Polish striker showed great composure to slot a calm finish beyond Hart and put us 3 goals to the good!

Dario Rodriguez replaced a tired De Paul after a fantastic 68 minute performance.

Balic replaced Davis in the 79th minute.

There was still time for Milik to pick up his second, and our fourth, in the 87th minute, dispatching Rodriguez’s knock down from Zivkovic’s ball with confidence.

What a performance! We absolutely routed a full strength City lineup with a rotated side of our own. Our defence held their own against a world-class attack, and our attack tore City’s backline to shreds. Milik was brilliant off the bench, proving that he still has something to offer us, whilst De Paul enjoyed a fantastic first start. Palombo’s goal and POM award was justice for the disrespect shown to him by City manager Jemez. We’ve gone 170+ mins now with a 5-0 scoreline over City across the two legs.

POM: Angelo Palombo (9.0, 1G, 0)

Wow !! Great result Patrick !! Well done ! Nice to see Zivkovic doing well !

Great win there. One big team out, if your luck is like mine you would have to go knocking the other big teams yourself. Hopefully it won't be like that and others will do a few for you along the way.

Wow !! Great result Patrick !! Well done ! Nice to see Zivkovic doing well !

Thanks, and yep he's been playing much better recently, making an impact at times which is good to see :)

Great win there. One big team out, if your luck is like mine you would have to go knocking the other big teams yourself. Hopefully it won't be like that and others will do a few for you along the way.

Thanks mate, I was really pleased with that one. We have Wolves next which isn't so bad, hopefully a few of the big guns get kicked out by the others, but after that performance I'm feeling like we have a serious run at the Cup this season.

English Premier League - Game 23 - Leicester City (Home)

It’s really time to start winning games consistently in the league. Today would be a good start. Cedric’s excellent form at right back has forced me to move Luan inside and leave Fonte on the bench, rather than restore him to the starting lineup after his injury. De Paul also earns a start after impressing in the FA Cup against Man City.

In the 6th minute Tadic passed a free kick forwards to Wanyama, who cleverly one-touched it through the defence to Kießling, who slotted under the keeper with ease.

In the 13th minute flowing football down the right culminated in Cedric whipping in a cross for Kießling to head home his second! Clasie, Tadic and Ward-Prowse all involved in the buildup to that goal.

In the 18th minute Cedric embarked on an unbelievable run down the right flank, beating no less than 3 Leicester players, before sending in a cross which was met by De Paul outside the far post, and he rifled back across the keeper and home for his second goal in as many starts, and a goal on his league debut! But that assist from Cedric was truly something special!

In the 22nd minute Luan was fouled as he leapt for Ward-Prowse’s free kick in the 6 yard box, and a penalty was awarded. Kießling sealed yet another Premier League hat trick from the spot! His 20th goal of the season, and this after beginning it as a substitute or backup option!

We were running riot, and in the 25th minute it was Clasie who provided the killer ball which the lethal Kießling finished comfortably for his 4th!

In the 34th minute De Paul almost had a second when Ward-Prowse’s free kick found him straight in front, but Schmeichel finally came up with the goods for Leicester.

Germain slipped Vardy through in the 45th minute but he couldn’t beat Dragowski from close range.

In the 50th minute some good passing allowed Tadic to run at the defence, and he flicked a ball through for Kießling, who was finally denied by Schmeichel, from a tight angle.

Schmeichel made another great save in the 55th minute after Wanyama headed Cedric’s free kick on to Ward-Prowse, who rifled at the bottom corner but was denied.

5 minute later Ward-Prowse did get on the scoresheet, Kießling playing him in after Wanyama’s pass put the striker through.

Zivkovic replaced the outstanding De Paul in the 73rd minute, going to the right wing and pushing Tadic to the left and Ward-Prowse to the centre.

A minute later Vardy’s cross from the corner flag nearly snuck inside the near post, but Dragowski was alert and turned it wide just in time.

Davis and Palombo replaced Wanyama and Ward-Prowse in the 76th minute, with Palombo dropping to DM.

It’s impossible to have a single complaint about today’s performance. Poor Leicester didn’t know what hit them! Not a single starting player had a rating lower than 8.7! De Paul is making an immediate impact, and Kießling is proving to be the signing of the season with another ridiculous goal haul. He has 17 PL goals in 9 starts and 7 sub appearances. He trails Hazard by two goals, but the Belgian has 22 starts for his 19 goals. Lukaku and Agüero both have 18, in 21 and 20 starts respectively.

POM: Stefan Kießling (9.9, 4G, 1A)

FA Cup - Fourth Round - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Back to the FA Cup, and hopefully our rotated side can deal with Wolves today. It would be great if Milik could follow up his brace against City by finding the net again here.

Sadly, Zivkovic picked up an early knock, so Mane replaced him in just the 6th minute.

In the 13th minute Byrne sent in a cross for Wolves, and it was diverted by Radu past his own keeper and into the net.

Just two minute later we had a free kick and Palombo chipped it over the mass of players. Juanmi broke free, and after one bounce, belted it across the keeper and inside the far post!

In the 19th minute Gitschier swung a ball across for Bertrand, who took it into the area but was promptly fouled. Milik dispatched the penalty to put us in front!

Just four minutes later the striker had his second, as he moved superbly onto Gitschier’s lovely killer ball and slotted comfortably into the corner.

We were forced into another change in the 34th minute as Luan twisted his knee. Cedric took the field in his stead.

More fantastic ball movement in the 36th culminated in Gitschier swivelling on the edge of the area and finding the bottom right corner with a well placed effort! A second assist for Palombo, too.

In the 38th minute a corner from Balic caused all sorts of panic, with at least two efforts parried before finally Milik got the ball across the line and sealed his hat trick! Two different strikers in top form now - and neither of them last season’s hero Rodriguez.

Seconds after the kickoff in the second half, Wilson hacked down Palombo viciously. He was show a second yellow and given his marching orders. Wasn’t much of a consolation for Palombo, who needed the physio.

Mane almost added another goal in the 48th after turning his man on the edge of the box, but his shot was well saved.

Dario Rodriguez replaced Juanmi in the 66th.

In the 87th minute Cedric slipped in Mane who had a crack from a great position, but hit Gitschier, who was offside.

Another top class performance, as we tore yet another team to shreds. Milik showed that there’s more than one striker at the club, whilst Palombo proved he has an eye for a pass as well as his all round defensive skills. Juanmi, Gitschier, Mane and Balic also contributed very well. The only concerns are the injuries to Zivkovic and Luan.

POM: Arkadiusz Milik (9.6, 3G, 0A)

Are you having success with Slattery, Reed, and Hesketh?

Are you having success with Slattery, Reed, and Hesketh?

Slattery has been getting minutes here and there over the two seasons, he definitely has a future here. Reed and Hesketh are out on loan currently, but I'm hoping that they can break through over the next couple of seasons.

Transfer News...

With the transfer deadline in England passed, I thought I was done. Then PSG came in with an offer for Van Dijk. I would have rejected it but instead countered with what I thought was a ridiculous amount, yet PSG being P$G, they kept negotiating. We settled on 22.5m, plus 50% of the next sale - not profit, sale. Even though I can’t replace him until summer, I can’t say no to that kind of deal, even if 15% goes to Celtic. When Luan returns from injury I suspect he will be playing at centre back more often.

English Premier League - Game 24 - Manchester City (Home)

We whipped City 4-0 at St Mary’s just a couple of weeks ago, but that still doesn’t make us favourites today. Luan’s injury means that Radu steps into central defence, and Van Dijk’s unexpected sale means that Fonte is his partner, but otherwise it’s the same lineup that shredded Leicester last week.

In the 22nd minute Clasie slipped De Paul through, who squared for Tadic. His first effort came back off the post, but with Hart sprawled on the ground, he finished at the second attempt.

In the 34th minute Dragowski was called into action, making an absolutely world class save to deny Agüero from point blank range after Volland squared for the Argentine.

Within 30 seconds we were up the other end and Kießling wriggled free but blasted into the side netting.

In the 39th minute Zabaleta attempted a cross but it swung back and looped over Dragowski, nestling in the far corner via the post. Unbelievable piece of bad luck to peg us back.

45 seconds into the second period Agüero slipped Toure through, and Dragowski denied the big Ivorian, but could do nothing to prevent Sterling smashing home the rebound.

In the 56th minute we managed to draw level, as Cedric played the ball through for Ward-Prowse, who whipped in a great cross for De Paul to fire home, completely unmarked at the back post.

Two minutes later the talismanic Kießling put us in front! Having debated with myself for 10 minutes about subbing him after a poor performance by his standards, for the in-form Milik, my decision to keep faith paid dividends as he latched onto Tadic’s through ball and blasted first time into the roof of the net from the edge of the area! Sensational finish!

In the 75th minute Gitschier, Palombo and Dario Rodriguez replaced De Paul, Radu and Cedric. Ward-Prowse dropped to right back, and Tadic moved to the left wing.

In the 85th minute a hopeful Zabaleta cross somehow found it’s way through everybody to an unmarked Sterling two yards out at the back post. In typical Sterling fashion, he couldn’t finish it first time, with Dragowski somehow managing to save it, but sadly he had a second bite at the cherry and couldn’t miss.

Such a shame, as Man City snatched what was, in my opinion, a thoroughly undeserved point. A fluke goal and two rebound tap ins for Sterling. At least he didn’t win man of the match, Tadic claiming that honour after a quality performance. We deserved to win today, but it’s a decent result against a team who are well above us in the table.

POM: Dusan Tadic (9.0, 1G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 25 - Newcastle United (Home)

Newcastle are up next, and there’s a little rotation. I feel bad for Milik, stuck on the bench after a hat trick in his last appearance, but Kießling is really gunning for the Golden Boot, so I’m happy to give him the chance to win it. Jay Rodriguez comes into the side on the left wing, as I can’t see an opportunity for him to start up top any time soon. Wanyama is suspended and will miss this match and the next fixture too.

In the 41st minute we countered from a corner, Rodriguez playing a long ball for Kießling, who skipped between two players but was denied by Krul.

In the 44th minute Kießling held the ball up well and played Rodriguez in. His shot was turned away by Krul, and Mane fired the rebound into the side netting. Bad miss.

Tadic replaced Mane in the 58th minute.

Milik and Juanmi replaced Kießling and Gitschier in the 68th minute. Rodriguez went to right wing, Tadic to AMC and Juanmi to left wing.

In the 88th minute Bertrand pulled off a perfect sliding tackle on De Jong. Unfortunately the ball then rolled across the penalty area and presented Pelle with a tap in for Newcastle, as he reacted much faster than Fonte!

Hugely frustrating way to lose a match in which we were the better side but couldn’t create enough chances, or finish the ones we had, and were hit on the counter right at the end, and by another slice of terrible luck. Really poor result just as we were starting to look like we could put some pressure on 4th and 5th placed Arsenal and Liverpool.

POM: Daryl Janmaat (Newcastle - 8.0, 0G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Stefan Radu (7.6, 0G, 0A)

Back