Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K

Palombo will retire at the end of the season. Sadly, I couldn’t convince him to change his mind.

Fonte wanted a new challenge. If it weren’t for Radu’s injury I would have been okay with him leaving, but if he left now I would need a replacement. Fortunately I convinced him to stick around.

I’m delighted with the FA Cup draw, as it’s almost the best we could have been given. Sadly most of the other big clubs received similar draws, although Tottenham and Chelsea clash so one will fall.

Injury News...

Prospect Jack Lovell is ruled out for a few weeks. A shame as he’s looking to receive more game time, particularly in the absence of Radu.

Ward-Prowse wanted to speak about joining Chelsea, but I talked him around.

Transfer News...

Manchester City come in for Slattery. I negotiate as high as I can and accept. I don’t want to lose him, particularly as he’s homegrown at the club, but he doesn’t get a great deal of game time as it is, he’s injury prone, and I can’t imagine him breaking through at City. If he develops well enough then I might be able to buy him back in a year or two for a cut price, 50% of which will come back to us anyway. He’s not worth 25.5m, of that I am sure.

We part on good terms.

English Premier League - Game 25 - Liverpool FC (Home)

Massive game against Liverpool. They sit in fourth, and if they beat us, will be 13 points clear with just 13 games to go, which would be virtually insurmountable. We’re out to try to get revenge for their 5-1 thrashing of us earlier in the season, and in fact, they’ve won our last 3 meetings. Time to change that hopefully.

The first action of note was Tadic replacing Pjaca in the 66th minute.

Within seconds Augustinsson put in a cross, and Wanyama saw his header strike the bar! Poor bloke can’t find a way past the woodwork at the moment, it’s happened in each of the last 3 league games!

Liverpool countered immediately, and Clyne picked out Mutô at the back post for a tap in. We could so easily be in front, yet find ourselves behind.

Seager and Alonso replaced Milik and Wanyama in the 73rd.

Luck deserted us yet again! So frustrating! We were denied a probable 3 points by the width of the crossbar, and didn’t even get a single point in the end. We can’t seem to buy a league point at the moment. Four losses in a row without even playing badly. United beat Chelsea so we’re now 9 points behind even 5th place!

POM: Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool FC - 9.0, 0G, 1A)

Best Southampton Player: Ludwig Augustinsson (7.1, 0G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 26 - Derby County (Away)

Please let this be the end of our losing run! Derby are second from last in the league, so if we can’t beat them, even away from home, I’ll know there’s something seriously wrong.

It took us 16 seconds to create our first opening, Pjaca finding Milik, but he couldn’t beat Szczesny.

Clasie picked up a knock early, and was replaced by Balic in the 11th minute.

Milik broke his drought in the 19th minute, spinning off his man to receive a Tadic pass and curling it beyond the keeper to open the scoring!

In the 52nd minute we doubled our lead as Asensio curled in a free kick, and Milik’s header found the net!

Thorne pulled one back in the 61st minute with a high finish inside the near post. First goal of the season, of course it’s against us.

De Paul replaced Pjaca in the 66th.

Jurcik replaced Fonte in the 78th.

Tadic sealed the 3 points in the 92nd minute with a quality finish from an Asensio corner.

Finally a win! We looked comfortable for most of the game, and the quality of Asensio, Milik and Tadic shone through, with the trio picking up two assists, two goals and one of each respectively, each ending with a rating of 9.0. The only concern is the injury to Clasie, hopefully it’s not serious. Also a little annoyed to lose a clean sheet when they only had 3 shots, but we’ll take the points and run!

POM: Marco Asensio (9.0, 0G, 2A)

UEFA Europa League First Knockout Round - First Leg - Zenit Sankt-Petersburg

The first leg of our Europa League tie is in Russia, so hopefully we can keep things tight and grab an away goal or two. It’s a strong lineup on paper, and if we play our best there’s no doubt we can take a result back home.

Dzyuba had other ideas, drilling a fantastic finish past Dragowski in the 16th minute.

5 minutes later he had his second as we were hit brutally on the counter.

In the 33rd minute Clasie saw his header from a Tadic free kick strike the bar. The woodwork really hates me right now.

In the 42nd minute Luan swung a cross to De Paul but it was intercepted. Asensio hit the loose ball first time and found the bottom corner!

Dragowski made a flying save in stoppage time to deny Smolnikov’s header from a Hulk free kick.

In the 51st minute Luan floated in a cross for Milik, and he was pulled to the ground as he leapt for it - penalty! Asensio with the spot kick…saved! Unbelievable how poor we’ve been with penalties this season, I’d hate to see us in a shootout!

In the 55th minute Wanyama had a crack from 25 yards, and - you guessed it - hit the inside of the woodwork where the post and crossbar meet, and it fell into the arms of the keeper.

20 seconds later we squared the game though, as De Paul’s excellent cross evaded everyone except Tadic, who fired home at the back post!

In the 66th minute we were undone by a counter from a corner, and a long cross found Dzyuba, whose volley was almost out of Dragowski’s hands, and sealed his hat trick.

Seager and Fonte replaced Milik and Upamecano in the 69th minute.

Dragowski was forced into a near post save on Hulk in the 72nd.

Palombo replaced Wanyama a minute later.

Yet another counter was launched from our 80th minute corner, but Dragowski made the save on Tsallagov this time.

I’m not sure how we didn’t win that match. The stats agree with me, as we dominated possession and shots, but were exceptionally profligate, and were hit by a couple of excellent counter attacks. The tie is finely poised ahead of the return leg, which comes in 6 days, after our FA Cup tie. It’s also difficult not to wonder how much better off we would be this season if we’d converted all of our penalties.

POM: Artem Dzyuba (Zenit Sankt-Petersburg - 9.4, 3G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Marco Asensio (7.6, 1G, 0A)

FA Cup - Fifth Round - Swindon Town (Home)

Chelsea fell to Tottenham, but so far all of the other giants have progressed to the 6th round. Ourselves, Liverpool and City look to join them today. Hopefully my young side can get the job done.

Cedric had the right idea as he sent his defender for a hot dog in the 2nd minute, stepping inside of him, and then beat the keeper, scoring his first Saints goal!

Dario Rodriguez then continued the trend as he picked up his maiden Saints goal with a nice header from a Ward-Prowse cross. Our last six goals in the FA Cup have been scored by players without a previous Saints goal to their name! Some kind of record surely! :P

Sindelar, the first of those 6, broke that trend in the 25th minute with a nice finish from a Rodriguez pass.

Two minutes later Ward-Prowse produced a great near post finish from a Cedric ball. We were running riot!

Muller, Jacobsen and Larsson, the Swede making his debut, replaced Balic, Ward-Prowse and Palombo in the 51st minute. 9 regens on the field.

Sindelar capitalised on a poor pass in the 68th minute and rifled home his second of the match.

In the 86th minute Burtic spilled a free kick, and Lowry finished into an open net. Not that it mattered.

An emphatic win today, which was great to see, as we cruise into the quarter finals of the FA Cup. There’s some big teams still in it, but I fancy our chances of having a real crack at it. It was nice to have a 5 goal cushion so that 16 year old keeper Burtic’s error didn’t matter. Liverpool and City went through later too.

POM: Lukas Sindelar (9.2, 2G, 0A)

UEFA Europa League First Knockout Round - Second Leg - Zenit Sankt-Petersburg (Home)

Our hopes of Champions League football next season hinge on the Europa League, and consequently, this match. We line up in the 4-2-3-1 formation, but the personnel can easily slot into the 4-3-3 system too, so we will assess the match as it unfolds. Zenit hold a lead of effectively half a goal.

Rudakov made a double save from a 23rd minute corner, denying first Wanyama and then Milik.

In the 30th minute we went to the 4-3-3.

Finally, in the 60th minute we had our goal, as Chambers headed a Ward-Prowse corner down, and Clasie rifled it home to put us ahead on away goals!

Pjaca replaced Asensio, playing right wing, in the 65th minute, and switched wings with Tadic.

Palombo replaced Wanyama in the 75th minute.

Balic replaced Ward-Prowse in the 79th.

Milik picked up a dead leg in the 82nd but I kept him on.

I finally subbed him in the first minute of stoppage time.

And that was that! We’re through to the Round of 16 on away goals, as Clasie scored the vital goal to put us in front and allow us to see out the match. It can’t be argued that we didn’t deserve it either, as once again we were far superior to the Russian outfit. We will face the far more dangerous Dynamo Kyyiv for a place in the Quarter Final.

POM: Calum Chambers (8.1, 0G, 1A)

Unlucky with the red cards hopefully you can find some good form and push your way up the table

Edit and bad luck with the injuries

Apologies for missing this as I was posting earlier!

Let's hope so, inconsistency has been the word for us all season unfortunately. Radu's injury sucks :/

Hang in there Patrick as long as you stay in the sixth position everything is possible. As for the injuries there nothing more to say the images speak for themselves . So unlucky ...

Hang in there Patrick as long as you stay in the sixth position everything is possible. As for the injuries there nothing more to say the images speak for themselves . So unlucky ...

That's true, a top 6 finish would be nice, top 4 is virtually impossible from here. Not much to say about injuries, I'm getting used to them :P

English Premier League - Game 27 - West Ham United (Home)

The Hammers are direct rivals for a top 6 finish, and they beat us earlier in the season, so I would love to win today. Some rotation is enforced after our exertions against the Russians, but it’s still a lineup I fancy has the ability to pick up all 3 points. Gitschier starts in a slightly unfamiliar right wing role.

Dragowski made a great save from Valencia’s close range redirection in the 23rd minute.

In the 31st minute Adrián made an extraordinary save to deny Gitschier from a Luan cutback.

Asensio sent a free kick into the box in the 37th minute, and Ogbonna handballed! Surely Xabi Alonso can convert penalties? You bet! His first goal for the club!

De Paul replaced Pjaca in the 59th.

Upamecano and Tadic replaced Jurcik and Gitschier in the 76th minute.

A pleasing defensive performance, and we got the result we needed. Up to 7th, behind Spurs on goal difference.

POM: Luan (7.8, 0G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 28 - Swansea City (Away)

Now would be a great time to pick up a win on the road. Swansea are a good side, and Sigurdsson in particular has caused us many problems in the past, but at our best we should be too good for these guys.

It wasn’t Sigurdsson who sent a 25 yard rocket into the roof of our net in just the third minute though, it was Ramires. Insanely good strike.

Dragowski made a great one on one save to deny Sigurdsson in the 17th minute.

Ward-Prowse replaced Tadic in the 55th minute.

Milik replaced Sindelar and we went to 4-2-3-1 in the 63rd.

Rodriguez replaced De Paul in the 71st.

In the 80th minute we finally drew level as Milik’s glancing header from a Cedric cross found the back of the net!

A frustrating draw, but for a long time it looked as though we’d be leaving empty handed, so it’s not all bad. Asensio, Kurzawa and Cedric all played very well. West Ham pummelled Man City to leapfrog us again.

POM: Ramires (Swansea City - 8.7, 1G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Cedric (8.3, 0G, 1A)

UEFA Europa League Second Knockout Round - First Leg - Dynamo Kyyiv (Home)

We need to win in this first leg to stand a realistic chance of progression into the quarter finals, particularly given how unreliable our away form is. Kyyiv are a very strong team, and we’ll need to be at our best today.

Somehow Carlos and Moraes one-two’d their way up the field against 5 men in the 3rd minute, and Moraes was played in, but Dragowski made a great save.

Pjaca then put us in front with a header from a 7th minute Asensio corner!

Milik doubled our lead in the 15th with a close range volley from a Kurzawa cross!

Tadic made it 3 in the 22nd minute with a header from another Kurzawa delivery!

Pjaca chipped a ball across the top of the box in the 29th minute, and Wanyama met it with a sweet volley, but Koval made the save. At least it wasn’t the woodwork this time!

Two minutes later Kurzawa headed a long ball behind Chambers and Moraes was through on goal! Dragowski came up trumps again!

In the 47th minute a long ball caught our defence napping, and Carlos was through. He beat Dragowski, but luckily not the post!

Kießling, Ward-Prowse and Balic replaced Milik, Tadic and Clasie in the 77th.

A superb win that places us in a very strong position ahead of the return leg. A 3 goal lead, without conceding an away goal, is particularly satisfying, and unless they can channel our second leg performance against P$G from last year, they’re going to find it very difficult to come back and win this tie. Fantastic performance. Wanyama did pick up a yellow card which means he will miss the return leg, but it’s as good a match as any for him to sit out I think.

POM: Layvin Kurzawa (9.0, 0G, 2A)

FA Cup - Sixth Round - West Bromwich Albion (Away)

A strong, though rotated, lineup is named today for the FA Cup Quarter Final. We should have enough to get past West Brom and book a ticket to Wembley for the Semi Final. Kießling isn’t very match fit but he still has quality.

In the 5th minute we broke on the counter, Kießling releasing Rodriguez down the left, and the youngster whipped a low cross into the 6 yard box where it was met by Wanyama…saved! Poor bloke can’t buy a goal at the moment, whether it’s from 30 yards or 5!

It was Gitschier who finally broke the deadlock in the first minute of stoppage time with a close range volley from an Augustinsson cross!

Lovell and Sindelar replaced Fonte and Kießling in the 72nd minute.

Muller replaced Balic in the 80th.

That was enough!

Led by excellent performances from both fullbacks, we march on to Wembley! As you can see, Swansea upset Arsenal which is huge, whilst Tottenham and Liverpool will contest a replay. Man United managed a 2-1 win at the Etihad in the earlier fixture today. Fingers crossed for Swansea in the Semi Final!

POM: Ludwig Augustinsson (8.9, 0G, 1A)

Back