Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K
You can get to the top 6! I'm surprised how similar Chelsea's starting XI compared to this year

Thanks mate, hopefully, going to be tough though! And Chelsea do still have a lot of their first team players. John Terry just signed another one year contract so he'll still be there next season too!

Injury News...

To compound my frustration, Sindelar is out for 3 weeks.

Balic will likely miss the FA Cup Semi as well as the first leg of the Europa League Semi!

Palombo signs a new deal that sees him become a Player/Under 18’s Coach. A look at his personal information shows that his intended retirement date has changed to the end of next season!

FA Cup - Semi Final - Swansea City (Neutral)

Here’s the first of the Semi Finals, against Swansea in the FA Cup, playing for the right to contest Liverpool in the Final. We’ve named a strong side, as it’s not every day you get the chance to compete for a trophy. We’ve got a great opportunity here, and I will do my best to take it!

Ayew had the first good chance in the 12th minute, but Dragowski palmed his shot aside.

Two minutes later we executed a lethal counter attack, and Asensio slotted home after good hold up play and a pass from Milik. Great start!

In the 17th minute Shelvey dived in brutally and hacked Asensio down. Straight red card. No excuse not to win from here.

Asensio played a clever ball to Tadic in the 45th, and he beat his man on the dribble but lashed his shot into the side netting, the wrong side of the post.

Rodriguez and Lovell replaced De Paul and Upamecano in the 66th minute.

Gitschier replaced Asensio in the 73rd.

In the 77th minute Augustinsson swung a perfect cross in for Milik, who finished with ease, but the flag had gone up for an offside against Augustinsson.

In the 84th minute Rodriguez sent a clever pass to Tadic, who clashed with Evans and the ball kept going. Milik raced past the stranded keeper and had an open net - and missed it! Tight angle sure, but no excuse for missing that!

Thankfully, it didn’t matter.

And we’re through to the Final! Liverpool await, in what I consider a win-win situation, because I’ll be happy regardless of who wins! If they beat Schalke and we beat Leverkusen, then we could face them in the Europa League Final too - that one, I would want to win no matter what! Solid performance today, as we were never in any danger. Shelvey’s red card helped, no doubt, though I’m confident we would have won regardless.

POM: Marco Asensio (8.3, 1G, 0A)

UEFA Europa League Semi Final - First Leg - Bayer Leverkusen (Away)

The first leg of this tie is in Germany, so our objective is to grab an away goal or two, and keep the scoreline tight if possible. A draw would be an excellent result. Leverkusen have a very strong lineup, and even their bench is very impressive. We’re going to need to be at our best. Tadic’s suspension robs us of one of our key players for the first leg.

The first half was as boring as they come. Each team had two shots at the interval.

In the 56th minute Ward-Prowse won the ball on the edge of the box after Pjaca’s pass was intercepted, and the ball was loose for Milik. Just the keeper to beat - wide! He’s been very disappointing lately, he needs to be burying those chances.

Brandt raced down the right in the 60th minute and sent a low cross to Chicharito, who was denied by Dragowski from a tight angle, before hitting the rebound into the side netting.

Kießling replaced Milik in the 61st minute, returning to his old club!

Two minutes later it was the former local hero who almost had us in front, but Leno made a great save to keep his effort out, after Clasie helped him split the defence.

In the 66th minute it was Kießling who was the creator, slipping an excellent ball through for Pjaca, but his shot was one of the weakest I’d ever seen, and Leno had no trouble swatting it aside.

De Paul and Palombo replaced Pjaca and Wanyama in the 68th minute.

In the 72nd minute Wendell skinned Cedric and raced into the box. His half cross, half shot forced Dragowski to palm it away, and Chicharito’s tight angled header from the other side looped over the bar.

There was little action after that.

A tightly contested game ended all square, which was probably a fair result, although had we been a little more clinical, we could probably have snatched a win, as we had the better quality chances. My need for a new first choice striker next season is becoming more and more apparent. It’s far from a disastrous result away from home, but the return leg will certainly be cagey, as conceding even one goal will make our task very difficult. Liverpool and Schalke played out an identical result at Anfield, so both ties are still very much up in the air.

POM: Layvin Kurzawa (7.4, 0G, 0A)

Great job getting into the final, here's hoping that you can go on to win it! Also the games against Leverkusen should be very interesting ones since they are a pretty good team. Really looking forward to seeing how you'll get on against them :)

Edit: just as I posted this you posted your first leg against Leverkusen, pretty great result. Now all you've got to do is finish the job at home.

English Premier League - Game 35 - Watford FC (Away)

A league match against Watford extends the wait for the second leg against Leverkusen. They sit only just below us in the league table and have done very well. We should still win though, even with a rotated lineup. Youngsters like Rodriguez, Gitschier, Lovell and Jurcik are all handed starts alongside experienced veterans like Kießling, Alonso and Palombo. Kießling is unlikely to play the full 90 - he starts to gain match fitness ahead of the Leverkusen match. Terje Jacobsen is named on the bench after impressing in the youth side all season.

In the 15th minute Luan sent in a great cross for Rodriguez, who saw his header rebound off the bar!

In the 19th minute a cross from Watford was contested near the edge of our box, and an extremely high, looping header flew over Dragowski and dipped under the bar and in! I was all set to congratulate Bojan for a sensational header, but as it turns out, it was an own goal by Jurcik! Exceptionally unlucky for the youngster.

Augustinsson’s cross a minute later almost snuck in at the near post, but Rajkovic was alert and made a diving save.

Jurcik’s header from the corner went straight to the keeper - wrong way around buddy!

Dragowski made a good one on one save against Ghilas in the 23rd minute.

A Johnson free kick in stoppage time should have been put away by an unmarked Damm, but somehow he missed the target.

From the second half kickoff, Kießling dribbled forward. The defenders kept backing off, and so he let fly from 25 yards…and found the net! Sensational strike by the big German!

Gitschier and Rodriguez both had shots blocked in quick succession in the 50th minute. Excellent desperate defence from Watford.

Balic replaced Alonso in the 51st minute.

In the 58th minute Jack Lovell should have scored when Ward-Prowse found him alone with a free kick, but he tried to go back across the keeper instead of straight into the open net, and Rajkovic made the save.

Jacobsen replaced Gitschier in the 61st minute, switching sides with Rodriguez.

Seager replaced Kießling in the 69th minute.

In the 88th minute a long cross from Augustinsson found Rodriguez at the far post, who headed it back across goal, where it hit the far post and bounced to an unmarked Jacobsen, who converted his first Saints goal! What a way to pick it up too, a likely match winner!

Joselu headed wide from an excellent Matos cross in the 93rd minute, as I thought for a second I’d spoken too soon!

Dramatic come back, and I’m delighted with the outcome. Kießling and Ward-Prowse were outstanding, whilst I’m very happy for young Jacobsen. What a moment for the kid! Now we switch our focus back to Leverkusen, who visit in just 4 days time.

POM: James Ward-Prowse (8.9, 0G, 1A)

Great job getting into the final, here's hoping that you can go on to win it! Also the games against Leverkusen should be very interesting ones since they are a pretty good team. Really looking forward to seeing how you'll get on against them :)

Edit: just as I posted this you posted your first leg against Leverkusen, pretty great result. Now all you've got to do is finish the job at home.

Thanks mate, very tight first leg, we were perhaps slightly better but it really could have gone either way. The second leg will be very edgy due to the constant threat of an away goal.

UEFA Europa League Semi Final - Second Leg - Bayer Leverkusen (Home)

Here it is, the biggest game of the season so far - but hopefully it won’t be the biggest by the end of it! A win today will see us through to the Final, a scoreless draw would result in extra time, but anything else and we will have come all this way for nothing. It’s a strong lineup that takes the field, with the return of Tadic a useful boost. Everything to play for!

The first big chance came for Chicharito in the 21st minute, but after racing clear he couldn’t beat Dragowski.

In the 29th minute Cedric’s cross was flicked in at the near post by Kießling!

From the kickoff Kurzawa gave away a free kickoff out wide, and they took it quickly, a first time cross to Brandt, who blasted it past Dragowski from the edge of the box. Advantage Leverkusen.

Leno tipped Tadic’s powerful 32nd minute effort over the bar!

The cleared corner was sent back to Asensio, but Tadic headed his cross just too high.

In the 59th minute it was another Cedric cross which did the damage, this time finding Tadic at the back post for a tap in!

In the 65th minute Dragoowski made an incredible point blank save on Pohjanpalo as he got on the end of a low Mayke cross!

Balic and Palombo replaced Clasie and Wanyama in the 71st.

Milik replaced Kießling in the 76th.

Cedric was forced off injured in the 90th. Ward-Prowse dropped to right back.

And we’ve done it! We had just enough to edge past the Germans in a tight and nerve-wracking game. Cedric proved the difference with two superb assists. We march on to the Final, where we will compete with Schalke, who beat Liverpool by an identical scoreline, for Champions League qualification, and the Europa League trophy!

POM: Cedric (9.0, 0G, 2A)

Injury News...

Sadly, those heroics will most likely be Cedric’s last action of the season, as he is out for 3 weeks. It’s highly unlikely he will return in time for the FA Cup Final, which is our last game of the season.

Nice job in the Games against Leverkuzen my friend ! As for the FA final it is only one games who knows ? I think you have what it takes to lift it !

League form might not be great but wonderful form on the cups hopefully you can get two trophies to make it a good season

Good Luck in the FA Cup and Europa League Finals mate! Great effort.

It's quite surprising to see that the top 6 in the league table are actually probably the 6 teams that most people would expect to occupy those positions.

That never happens in my saves :p

Nice job in the Games against Leverkuzen my friend ! As for the FA final it is only one games who knows ? I think you have what it takes to lift it !

Thanks mate, it was very nervous but we did it! Let's hope so!

League form might not be great but wonderful form on the cups hopefully you can get two trophies to make it a good season

As long as we win the Europa League I'll be happy, FA Cup would be a nice bonus though!

Good Luck in the FA Cup and Europa League Finals mate! Great effort.

Thanks mate, hopefully this season we will have tangible proof that we're making progress :)

It's quite surprising to see that the top 6 in the league table are actually probably the 6 teams that most people would expect to occupy those positions.

That never happens in my saves :p

I know right! Very surprising, usually at least one of them has slumped by now :P

English Premier League - Game 36 - Norwich City (Away)

Hopefully we can beat Norwich today to push for a top 6 finish.

Tadic opened the scoring from a Luan cross in the 4th minute.

Another Luan cross in the 8th minute found Kießling, but his first effort was saved and he put the rebound wide.

In the 57th minute a Tadic corner was headed across goal and back again, before Jurcik put it away!

Kießling hit the post with his header from an Augustinsson cross two minutes later.

Rodriguez and Balic replaced De Paul and Asensio in the 61st.

Gitschier replaced Kießling in the 67th.

In the 73rd minute a corner was partially cleared, and Luan chipped it back in to Balic, who launched into a spectacular bicycle kick! Unfortunately, he saw it rebound off the inside of the post, but it went straight to Jurcik, who volleyed in his second! A shame for Balic, as his acrobatic effort deserved a goal.

Ruddy made an excellent save to deny Tadic his second in the 83rd minute.

A minute later Luan sent an excellent cross in, and Rodriguez hit the post from a tight angle.

Complete and utter domination from start to finish. A good win that keeps our top 6 push alive.

POM: Dusan Jurcik (9.1, 2G, 0A)

Good win against Bayer!

How is Schalke doing?

The Bundesliga is pretty tight, last I checked Schalke were 4th. Bayern are narrowly ahead of Dortmund and FC Koln, who have really kicked on since their Europa League win last season, and only lost in the CL KO16 on away goals.

English Premier League - Game 37 - Stoke City (Home)

A similarly strong lineup takes the field today against Stoke. The kids will get a run out against Leicester in the last match, just 3 days ahead of the Europa League Final, which itself comes just 3 days before the FA Cup Final.

Kießling sent a header from a short Kurzawa cross narrowly high in the opening minute.

In the 13th minute it was Kießling who opened the scoring, sending a thunderous half volley into the roof of the net from a Luan cross!

Pjaca sent a ball in for Luan in the 33rd minute, but Krul tipped his effort around the post.

Pjaca and Kießling were replaced by Rodriguez and Sindelar in the 61st minute.

Gitschier replaced Tadic in the 69th.

Kurzawa rose highest to head home an Asensio corner in the 80th minute.

As comprehensive a 2-0 win as you could hope to find. 36 shots to 5. We have nearly sealed our place in next season’s Europa League, but have our sights set on bigger things when we play Schalke next week. Poor Liverpool are in the middle of a stretch of 6 games in 13 days!

POM: Marco Asensio (9.0, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 38 - Leicester City (Away)

Sadly, a number of my best youth prospects are on international duty at the moment, so they miss the opportunity for Premier League minutes. A few still get their chance though. It would still be nice to win today, to seal 5th spot, and to keep momentum up heading into the two Finals.

Schmeichel made an excellent save to deny Augustinsson in the 29th minute.

From the resulting corner, he made another great save to keep out Rodriguez’s header.

Up the other end a minute later Dragowski tipped Okazaki’s effort over the bar.

Milik and Jacobsen replaced Sindelar and Rodriguez in the 61st.

De Paul replaced Alonso in the 70th and we went to 4-2-3-1.

Just a minute later De Paul sent Milik through, and he had all the time in the world, but couldn’t beat Schmeichel. Terrible miss.

Schmeichel then made a brilliant save on De Paul in the 88th minute!

A really disappointing result, and Tottenham leapfrog us into 5th position, as we fail to score against the already relegated Foxes. We were robbed by Kasper Schmeichel, who deservedly picked up the POM award, but it’s still frustrating that we couldn’t get past him even once. Next match will be the most important of the season - the Europa League Final! Chelsea choked on the last day and were thrashed 4-0 by Swansea, handing the title to Arsenal!

POM: Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester City - 8.5, 0 Conceded, 8 Saves)

Best Southampton Player: James Ward-Prowse (7.8, 0G, 0A)

Back