Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K

UEFA Europa League - Grand Final - FC Schalke 04 (Neutral)

Here it is, the match that so much hinges on. It’s arguably our strongest lineup, though Cedric is a huge loss at right back. As for Schalke, they finished 3rd in the Bundesliga, just 3 points behind winners Bayern, and only below rivals Dortmund on goal difference. Gabriel Barbosa and Franco Di Santo have scored 23 and 24 goals respectively this season, figures which dwarf our leading goal scorer Pjaca’s tally of 13. This is it!

Pjaca tucked away the opener in the 10th minute from Kurzawa’s pass! Get in!

Kießling sent the Croatian through in the 33rd minute but this time Fährmann made the save.

In the 37th minute Choupo-Moting attempted to cross the ball, but it floated over Dragowski and into the net! Complete and utter fluke. Unbelievable!

In the 45th minute Pjaca leapt for Tadic’s corner and was pulled down by Geis - penalty! If ever there was a time to score one…Yes! Asensio put it away to restore our lead!

Gitschier and De Paul replaced Kießling and Tadic in the 63rd. De Paul and Pjaca switched wings.

Fährmann made an excellent stop on a tight angle Kurzawa stop in the 76th minute.

Ward-Prowse replaced Wanyama in the 79th minute.

And we’ve done it! We are the Europa League Champions! A great performance when it counted, led by the brilliance of Asensio! What a signing he has proven to be. We will compete in next year’s Champions League!

POM: Marco Asensio (9.0, 1G, 0A)

FA Cup Final to come. We are rated as slight favourites, but Liverpool have won our last three or four meetings both home and away, so I consider us slight outsiders. We will go into the match slightly tired but full of confidence after our European exploits.

Forster wants more first team football. Fortunately, I kept him pacified for now. He’s a great backup and an excellent tutor so I’m glad he’s happy to stay for the time being.

FA Cup - Grand Final - Liverpool FC (Neutral)

As I’ve mentioned, Liverpool have won our last 4 meetings, and 6 of 7 total, so will surely be confident of extending that streak. It’s worth noting they lost 4 of their last 5 games, and drew the other. We’re a little tired, but on a high after winning in Europe, so we should be in for a good game. A couple of changes from the side that started against Schalke, but not many. The striker slot is still my biggest concern for the offseason. Let’s see if we can pick up a second trophy to cap an already outstanding season!

In the second minute Allen brilliantly redirected a Henderson pass with his head, sending Chadli through, but Dragowski made a close range stop.

In the 9th minute a low Augustinsson cross beat everyone, and Tadic kept it alive before chipping the ball back in for Wanyama, whose header brushed the bar!

A minute later Luan passed inside to Tadic, whose powerful shot was tipped over the bar by Mignolet.

The corner was cleared to Gitschier, who sent a rocket towards the bottom corner, but Mignolet made a diving save to tip it wide.

Wanyama sent a 25 yard shot fizzing just wide in the 18th.

In the 30th minute Origi got on the end of a Shaqiri free kick, but was denied by Dragowski.

Shaqiri cut inside and curled one just past the top corner in the 35th.

Tadic cut a ball back for Wanyama in the 53rd but his shot rose too high and went narrowly over.

Origi hit the bar with a header from a 55th minute Clyne cross.

Kießling replaced Gitschier in the 67th minute.

Ward-Prowse replaced Pjaca in the 74th and went to midfield. Tadic went to left wing and Asensio to right.

Clyne gave the ball away in the 79th minute and Wanyama let fly from range. I thought it was in for a second, but it missed by a hair’s breadth.

A minute later Asensio found only side netting after cutting inside.

Jurcik sent a ball over the top for Kießling in the 87th, but he missed the target by a mile.

A minute later his header from Asensio’s cross landed on top of the goal.

Extra Time beckoned.

Alonso replaced Wanyama in the 99th minute, and swapped with Clasie.

In the 119th minute Chambers’ pass allowed Luan to run in behind, but he was denied at the near post by Mignolet.

Penalties it is!

All season I wondered how we’d do in a shoot out, now we will find out...

Penalty Shootout

Xabi Alonso up first for Southampton, against his former club…and hits the post! That’s my best penalty taker!

Southampton FC 0(1) - Liverpool FC 0(0)​

Emre Can for Liverpool…no problem! Just out of reach of Dragowski in the bottom corner.

Southampton FC 0(1) - Liverpool FC 1(1)​

Marco Asensio…goal! Sends Mignolet the wrong way and tucks it in!

Southampton FC 1(2) - Liverpool FC 1(1)​

Yoshinori Mutô for Liverpool…saved! Dragowski gets a hand to it and tips it onto the post, and it stops on the line! It’s a game of millimetres!

Southampton FC 1(2) - Liverpool FC 1(2)​

Kießling for Southampton now…saved! Mignolet puts Liverpool back in the driver’s seat!

Southampton FC 1(3) - Liverpool FC 1(2)​

Roberto Firmino…goal! Top corner, no chance for Dragowski!

Southampton FC 1(3) - Liverpool FC 2(3)​

Dusan Tadic now…too easy! Top corner as Mignolet dives the wrong way.

Southampton FC 2(4) - Liverpool FC 2(3)​

Henderson to keep Liverpool in front…saved! Dragowski sticks out a hand and keeps it out!

Southampton FC 2(4) - Liverpool FC 2(4)​

Clasie to pile pressure on the Reds…goal! Tucked away with ease!

Southampton FC 3(5) - Liverpool FC 2(4)​

Ibe with a do or die penalty…goal! Straight down the middle!

Southampton FC 3(5) - Liverpool FC 3(5)​

Augustinsson for Saints…what a save! Well-placed penalty to the bottom corner, but Mignolet gets across to it!

Southampton FC 3(6) - Liverpool FC 3(5)​

Sakho with the chance to be a hero…and he’s done it! Thumped into the roof of the net and Liverpool FC are the FA Cup Champions!

Well it came down to a lottery in the end, and we lost it. Can’t blame the team as we played well for 120 minutes. Tadic and Kießling missed a few chances, but our defence was excellent and we can hold our heads high.

POM: Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool FC - 9.0, 0G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Luan (9.0, 0G, 0A)

Go home Kevin Paterson, you’re drunk! What a wally!

We qualify for the Europa League. Hoping at some point I will get an email confirming Champions League qualification, but haven't seen it yet.

Season Summary and Awards. Luan wins the Player of the Year award again! This makes things very difficult, as with just two years left on his contract, and multiple work permit rejections, I may have to sell him this summer.

And here’s our Overall Best XI from the past 3 seasons. I don’t entirely agree but it’s pretty accurate I suppose.

After taking out Young Player of the Month in April, Jurcik went one better in May and won the senior Player of the Month Award! Great stuff!

Here is confirmation that we will be competing in the Champion’s League next season!

The unfortunate side effect of this is that 8th placed Man United are into the Europa League, thanks to us! **** :P

Our budget is massive, and I am going to spend more of it this year! I’m very tempted to meet the 66m release clause of Aymeric Laporte, but am concerned about the realism of spending so much. Any thoughts?

Juventus went all the way in the Champions League for the second time in 3 years, beating Real Madrid in the Final on penalties. There was finally a change in the top 5 leagues, as Arsenal pipped Chelsea to the BPL title on the last day, but Madrid, Bayern, Juventus and Monaco all retained their crowns, whilst FC Köln have cemented themselves as a challenger in the Bundesliga, sealing a Champions League spot after winning last season’s Europa League.

About Laporte if you feel you need world class centre back go for it! Unlucky to lose in penalties for Liverpool.

About Laporte if you feel you need world class centre back go for it! Unlucky to lose in penalties for Liverpool.

Thanks mate, I'm still undecided, there's other good options out there but he's definitely the best. Just want to keep this interesting!

I would say go for man ! Man city spend 40 million on Otamendi and he is terrible ! So 66 million is a price you can pay in order to have a quality player in the back! I was delighted to see that you won the Europa League ! To be honest I envy you a little ha ha !!!

I would say go for man ! Man city spend 40 million on Otamendi and he is terrible ! So 66 million is a price you can pay in order to have a quality player in the back! I was delighted to see that you won the Europa League ! To be honest I envy you a little ha ha !!!

I'll see what happens, thing is, if I meet his clause, he has very little interest so chances are he'll just sign a new contract with Athletic anyway!

Thanks mate, I was so happy because it rescued our season. This time I won't make the mistake I made last time when I made CL and didn't take advantage of it by signing top players. I hope to sign a couple of really good players now so we can cement ourselves as a regular top 4 side in the Premier League.

You're doing very well with Spurs, a big trophy is only just around the corner I am sure!

Transfer News...

Here’s our first big signing! Vietto was transfer listed at Arsenal and I signed him for a bargain price. He will likely be our first choice striker this season, although I haven't completely ruled out the idea of signing another top forward to compete with him. It may depend on Milik, who I am willing to listen to offers for, but equally willing to allow another season to impress.

Cahill is our next capture, to provide an experienced option at the back

Sindelar becomes the youngest scorer in the history of the World Cup!

great signing! vietto is awesome. 44m down to 14.5m in one season?! good job arsenal.

Transfer News...

Luan in on the way out. With two years left on his contract, I’m better off collecting a larger fee for him now than waiting another year. 21.5m plus 50% of the next sale is a very reasonable fee. I’ve decided that Chambers will be his replacement as one half of my right back tandem with Cedric. This means that central defence is the area to improve, and my intention is to sign two top class centre backs, to be my first choice pair. They can then be backed up by Cahill, Jurcik and Upamecano, and even young Jack Lovell if necessary. Expect to see our club transfer record tumble, as due to financial prudence over the last 3 seasons, our financial position is extremely strong, and we have cash to burn. Dragowski wants the squad improved to sign a new contract, so that is what I will do. Stay tuned…

Season Expectations are a little higher than last year, as we are expected to qualify from our Champions League group, as opposed to last year where the Europa League group stage was good enough. It’s still the minimum I expect anyway, so no complaints. No sense in bumping up the expectations, as the budget is big enough as it is.

Last edited:
It’s a sad day for the club as two-time Fans Player of the Year Luan agrees a move to Bayern Munich after work permit issues. At least we part on good terms. I am still in his favoured personnel, and Southampton is his favourite club. He was a fantastic signing back in January 2016.

Later the same day, the news I was hoping for came through. Aymeric Laporte will join on July 1st for a mammoth 66m fee! I threw the chequebook at him, and even upped my initial offer once I saw Athletic had offered him a new contract, but to my delight, he has agreed to join! I must confess I have already agreed a deal for his new centre back partner, but his identity will remain a mystery for now.

Grat job winning the Europa league and unlucky with the FA Cup. Good signings in Vietto and Laporte they should help you back into the to four.

Also 11 million signing on fee I should have spent more time practicing not being awful at football. I guess I could make do with the 5 million agent fee if I must

We are now the 6th richest club in the world, as the BPL begins to take over the list, with 10 of the top 25!

Transfer News...

Laporte and Iniesta join, along with a youngster and Laporte’s centre back partner, Süle! He was chosen ahead of a number of other candidates in part due to his aerial supremacy, as well as his scope to improve in the future, as he is still just 22 years of age.

Back