Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K

Iniesta is back from injury, and wants more first team opportunities. The thing is, he has no legs left, which makes him a defensive liability. He also plays in the same position as my best player, Asensio.

Ward-Prowse wins Player of the Month, whilst I win the Manager of the Month award after our excellent November. Linus Persson places in the Championship Young Player of the Month, whilst Jacobsen has moved up a spot to second in the SPL Young Player of the Month, but is still behind teammate Martin.

English Premier League - Game 13 - Tottenham Hotspur FC (Away)

We face an underperforming Tottenham side today, even though they’re stronger on paper than last season, having added our former star Juanmi and Hakan Çalhanoglu to an already strong lineup.

Jonny picked out Keita with a great low cross in the 24th minute, but Dragowski made a good save.

In the 34th minute Jonny then lunged in with a vicious two-footed tackle on De Paul, and was sent down the tunnel.

Pjaca replaced De Paul in the 49th minute.

Dragowski made an excellent near post save on Redmond after a fantastic run by the winger in the 66th minute.

Milik and Wanyama replaced Vietto and Clasie a minute later.

And within seconds, we had our opener, through supersub Milik! Ward-Prowse chipped a ball forwards, intended for Tadic, and Durm leapt to head it away, but it went straight into the path of the striker, and he opened the scoring!

In the 70th minute Keita played a sensational ball through for Depay, but Dragowski made an excellent save to deny the winger.

Two minutes later another substitute netted our second, as Pjaca turned his man in the area and then picked out the bottom corner! Lovely finish.

In the 87th minute Asensio stroked a lovely through ball in for Milik, who was denied from a sharp angle at the near post, but then picked out the far corner from an even tighter angle on the rebound! Amazing!

Depay hit the bar from a Redmond cross in stoppage time.

Well I don’t think we were 3 goals better than Spurs today, but I’ll certainly take what is an excellent away result. Our substitutes made a huge impact, and Dragowski kept us in the game with a handful of superb saves.

POM: Arkadiusz Milik (8.7, 2G, 0A)

Capital One Cup - Quarter Final - West Bromwich Albion (Home)

League Cup Quarter Final against West Brom today. It’s a rotated side but a stronger one than I’ve chosen in the previous two rounds, as I’m hoping to progress here. Chelsea won their Quarter Final yesterday but City fell to Sheffield Wednesday on penalties, so we have a fair chance of challenging for the trophy if we get through this match.

Cahill put us in front in the 17th minute when he got on the end of an Iniesta free kick and lashed it past the keeper.

De Paul fired just over in the 21st minute after Vietto released him down the left and he cut inside.

In the 31st minute Vietto led a counter attack from a corner, and Balic slipped the ball to Gitschier, who rifled home our second!

Vietto was denied by a great Romero save after we worked the ball back in to him from a cleared corner in the 35th minute.

But he wasn’t to be denied 3 minutes later, sliding the ball into the bottom corner on the turn after a lethal counter attack and great pass from De Paul. A birthday goal for the striker!

A 59th minute free kick was knocked down to Caicedo straight in front, but he fired straight into Forster.

In the 62nd minute Iniesta, Vietto and Cahill were replaced by Prins, Sindelar and Upamecano.

A very comfortable match as we roll into the Semi Final. We blew them away early and then cruised for the rest of the match. Solid performance - fingers crossed we avoid Chelsea in the Semis.

POM: Andrija Balic (9.0, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 14 - Swansea City (Home)

We should be beating Swansea, particularly given our outstanding recent form. We can keep our top 4 push/title challenge going with a win today. It’s a strong lineup once again, as we play Spartak in our crucial Champions League clash in 4 days time.

Pjaca fired us into the lead in the 18th minute as Laporte touched a corner to him, and he had a simple finish.

In the 35th minute Laporte powered a header in from an Asensio corner, but it was ruled that he had pushed his man and so it was chalked off.

Milik was replaced by Vietto in the 60th minute.

In the 64th minute a long ball from Chambers should have been easy for Fabianski, but for some reason he stayed on his line and allowed Vietto to get there, but he hit the post from a sharp angle.

In the 69th minute Gitschier replaced Tadic, and switched with Asensio.

In the 78th minute Wanyama replaced Clasie.

It wasn’t our best performance, but it was enough to pick up another 3 points. We remain two points behind leaders Chelsea, and a single goal ahead of Arsenal, who are tied with us on points. The top 4 seem to have broken away already.

POM: Marko Pjaca (8.0, 1G, 0A)

At least the league form is very good XD. Now if Barcelona let Celtic win I'll really hate them.

UEFA Champions League Group Stage - Game 6 - Spartak Moskva (Home)

Cedric is suspended for this crucial game, so Chambers plays here and Cedric will likely line up against Newcastle in 3 days time. We should be winning this match, particularly given our recent form, and it’s very likely that a win will see us through to the knockout stages.

We were struck a huge blow in the 25th minute, as Asensio was forced off by injury. Gitschier was his replacement.

Milik put us in front in the 36th minute with a powerful close range header from a Kurzawa cross! Double digit goals for the Polish hitman.

Some lovely passing culminated in Gitschier picking out Tadic, but his low finish was well saved.

In the 43rd minute the combination worked in reverse, Tadic playing in Gitschier, but Bocchetti slid in to produce a vital block.

From the corner Milik powered a header towards the top corner, but the flying keeper saved it, and Süle’s followup was charged down.

Pjaca replaced Tadic in the 65th minute.

In the 75th minute Balic was injured, and Palombo replaced him.

That was enough though, as we saw off the Russian outfit. A good thing we did, too, as Celtic drew with Barcelona again, thanks to a 5th minute Alba red card, which meant that a win was the only result that could get us through. It didn’t come without a cost though, and I nervously await the physio reports for Balic and particularly Asensio.

POM: Layvin Kurzawa (8.4, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 15 - Newcastle United (Home)

We face Steven Gerrard’s Newcastle outfit today. They haven’t done especially well so far this season, but are a very dangerous side on their day, as the likes of Sturridge, Rolan, Simeone and Mitrovic are all lethal in front of goal. They also beat us in our last meeting. Gitschier steps into the massive shoes of Asensio today, hopefully he can fill them!

In the 13th minute Cedric’s clearance was picked up by Vietto, and he made it all the way to the box and a good shooting position, but Asenjo made a very good save.

It was Süle who gave us the lead with a close range finish in the 24th minute after Laporte’s header from a corner.

In the 31st minute they levelled though, as Simeone embarked on an incredible run and instead of shooting from a tight angle, sent an excellent ball across the goal for Sturridge at the far post, and he doesn’t miss those. Cedric should have cut it out though.

Gitschier played a nice pass to a swivelling Vietto in the 39th minute, but Asenjo tipped his shot wide.

Simeone hit the post in the 45th minute after a free kick was sent wide and then Mbemba passed inside to him.

In the 61st minute I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, as Cedric’s low cross found Vietto, whose tight angle shot was palmed onto the inside of the post by Asenjo, and then he picked it up, having apparently not crossed the line. It looked over the line to me, and I watched it twice!

Milik and De Paul replaced Vietto and Pjaca in the 63rd.

In the 72nd minute I was on the edge of my seat watching some end to end football, which culminated in Milik slipping a lovely ball through for Gitschier. My first reaction was disbelief as he hit the post from close range, but it was quickly followed by relief as he tucked away the rebound. Just reward for the teenage sensation as he had been our best player all day.

Palombo replaced Wanyama in the 85th minute.

We found a way in the end, despite a great performance from Asenjo in the Newcastle goal, and kept our winning streak alive, along with our title challenge. Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all won today as well, and the fourth placed Reds are already 10 points clear of 5th place. It’s doubtful any other teams will become involved in the title race, though it’s possible that one or two of us may fall away significantly and out of the top 4. Gitschier was outstanding playing in place of Asensio, and deservedly took home the match ball after netting the winner.

POM: Moritz Gitschier (9.0, 1G, 0A)

Injury News...

Jack Lovell misses a week.

Upamecano is also out for a short period.

Richards picks up another long term injury.

The Champions League draw was predictably tough. I would have liked Marseille, all of the others would be very difficult. Lazio might look easy but they’re a really strong team, and they topped their pool ahead of P$G and Arsenal. Atletico are easily favourites, but I’m not writing us off.

English Premier League - Game 16 - Ipswich Town (Away)

Ipswich shouldn’t cause us any problems, even on their own turf. I expect nothing less than 3 points today. The big match at Anfield earlier today saw the Reds beat the Gunners 2-1, which gives us the chance to go outright second - or temporarily first, as Chelsea don’t play yet.

But we were stunned in just the 4th minute as Anichebe produced a sensational shot from outside the box, finding the far bottom corner to fire Ipswich in front!

And in the 11th minute Tadic pulled the shirt of Doyle just inside the top corner of the box, when he wasn’t even threatening! Stupid, soft penalty. Anichebe blasted it into the roof.

Vietto played a lovely pass to Gitschier for a close range finish in the 13th minute, but he was denied, and the flag was up anyway.

In the 17th minute we had ourselves a foothold, as Vietto’s cross was converted at the back post by De Paul. Game on!

Pjaca and Iniesta replaced Tadic and Gitschier in the 57th.

Two minutes later Augustinsson’s cross found Pjaca for a header, which Smithies appeared to catch behind the goal line, but nothing was called.

10 seconds later Ward-Prowse picked out Vietto with a brilliant pass but Smithies made a sharp angle save.

Milik replaced Vietto in the 64th.

Gradel hit the bar with a 40 metre free kick in the 83rd minute.

Well of all teams to end our run, I didn’t expect it to be Ipswich. It’s our first league loss since Stoke thrashed us back in week 3. We need to bounce back from this defeat quickly. Chelsea will be delighted as they can go 4 points clear of Liverpool if they win their game in hand.

POM: Victor Anichebe (Ipswich Town - 8.6, 2G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: James Ward-Prowse (7.4, 0G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 17 - Manchester United (Home)

We need to get back on track today, after a strange match day where the top 3 teams all lost. Liverpool are now level with Chelsea having played a game extra, sharing the points with Spurs after a late Ryan Mason equaliser, and Arsenal are level with us. Chelsea and Arsenal play one another so this is a big match for us. I would love to beat the Mancs. I must confess I meant to start Milik but forgot to switch him and Vietto.

In the second minute Jurcik’s header from a corner hit the bar, but Laporte jumped up and volleyed home the rebound for his first goal for the club!

Dragowski made an excellent save on Higuain inside the 6 yard box in the 5th minute.

Mahrez’s curling strike in the 25th minute was tipped wide by a diving Dragowski, though it was possibly going wide regardless.

In the 28th minute we had our second as we stretched the defence with lovely ball movement, and eventually Augustinsson whipped a low cross to the back post and Ward-Prowse slid it home!

In the 35th minute Vietto brought down a long Clasie ball down the left and raced around his man, before firing near post from a tight angle, but De Gea caught it.

Sindelar replaced Vietto in the 60th minute.

Pjaca replaced Ward-Prowse in the 69th minute.

And 4 minutes later it was Pjaca who had our third with a close range finish after De Paul darted to the byline and whipped it into the 6 yard box.

Iniesta replaced Clasie in the 75th.

And Pjaca had his second in the 84th minute, after he played Sindelar down the right and cut inside for the return pass, which he buried in the bottom corner!

Oh what a performance! I’m delighted as we showed that our result against Ipswich was nothing more than a blip. Outstanding individual efforts across the board as we schooled the Red Devils and sent them crawling back to Manchester with their tails between their legs. Chelsea clinched a vital 1-0 win at the Emirates with an 84th minute winner, which sees them stay two points above us.

POM: Rodrigo De Paul (8.9, 0G, 1A)

Great result with United Patrick ! The injuries keep coming like crazy but it seems that your team has great depth !

Beautiful results against United! Tough draw getting Atletico but if you can walk over them like you just did Man U, you should be fine :P

Great result with United Patrick ! The injuries keep coming like crazy but it seems that your team has great depth !

Thanks mate, that was fantastic! Yeah injuries are frustrating but I find it difficult to settle on a first choice lineup anyway, so it helps the selection dilemma :P

Beautiful results against United! Tough draw getting Atletico but if you can walk over them like you just did Man U, you should be fine :P

That's true, if we play like that every week we can beat just about anyone!

Wow, that was an unlucky stretch of injuries! Here's to a healthier future! ha

Last edited:
Back