Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K

English Premier League - Game 22 - Crystal Palace (Away)

Crystal Palace are our next opponents, as we look to keep our unlikely title challenge alive. I say unlikely because it was unforeseen, but I’m confident that we will stay in the race for the rest of the season. Since I devised this new tactic, we’ve won 18 of 20 games, losing only to Barcelona (fair enough) and Ipswich (what?). There are a few changes to the lineup, but it’s still extremely strong.

In the 22nd minute Asensio chipped a ball into the box for Vietto. Ward got a foot in, but knocked it straight to Gitschier for an easy finish.

Vietto added our second in the 28th minute with a close range redirection from a bullet of a cross by Kurzawa.

Vietto then picked up his second in first half stoppage time as he met Ward-Prowse’s low corner with a powerful drive.

Ledley made a critical block to deny Süle from a 60th minute Asensio corner.

De Paul replaced Pjaca in the 64th minute.

Clasie replaced Wanyama in the 79th minute.

Balic replaced Ward-Prowse in the 83rd.

Too easy once again, as we keep our winning streak going. It’s nice to see Vietto getting amongst the goals again, taking his tally to 8 in his last 5 appearances, though I feel sorry for Milik who’s done nothing wrong whatsoever! Both of them now have 14 for the season, though Vietto has had much more game time. Chelsea won as well, but we remain two points in front, as well as shaving another goal off the goal difference.

POM: Layvin Kurzawa (8.8, 0G, 1A)

Capital One Cup Semi Final - Second Leg - Sheffield Wednesday (Away)

This second leg should be a mere formality, despite the rotated lineup. Chelsea beat West Ham 3-0 yesterday, and 6-0 on aggregate, to book their place in the final. Hopefully we will be joining them.

It took all of 15 seconds for poor Ranocchia to get a touch on Augustinsson’s cross and put it past his own keeper! Poor bloke.

They weren’t giving up though, and Wilson equalised in just the 5th minute.

In the 16th minute another Augustinsson cross resulted in another own goal! This time for Thompson, as he just beat Milik to the ball with a sliding intervention, but he put it in his own net!

Two minutes later Augustinsson passed to De Paul, rather than crossed, but the Argentine found the side netting outside of the post.

Powell equalised in the 34th minute with a volley from a corner.

Prins replaced Iniesta in the 51st minute.

Palombo lost the ball in the 53rd and Wilson was through alone, but he blasted high and wide.

Sindelar replaced Milik in the 57th.

Gitschier replaced Tadic in the 65th.

And Sindelar put us back in front in the 74th minute with a lovely looping header from a Balic corner!

That was the match-winner in a fairly tight second leg. Our attack stuttered, but Own Goal came up with the goods, bagging a brace whilst Sindelar netted the winner just a day or two after signing a new contract. We will face Chelsea at Wembley.

POM: Calum Chambers (8.2, 0G, 0A)

Milik wants a move to Aston Villa again! Man oh man! If they meet his release clause he can go, but I’m not selling him for less than that. This time I talked him around though, unlike last time where he threw a hissy fit.

Transfer News...

Another previously arranged transfer arrives, a Brazilian left back who looks like he’s much more talented than the 3 and a half star report suggests. He has been loaned to our feeder club Aberdeen, joining Burtic, Matsemala and Jacobsen at the Scottish outfit.

A free transfer signing. He looks pretty talented, though it was more opportunism than anything else that convinced me to sign him. He’ll go on loan to our other feeder club Ludogorets, as he can’t get a work permit.

The Manchester clubs, United in particular, have been splashing the cash all window in an effort to catch up to the top 4, and this showed no sign of slowing on deadline day, as each completed multiple moves, including these blockbusters. Aston Villa also finally made a serious high profile signing, the 30m acquisition of Anwar El Ghazi.

P$G want Kurzawa back, but I reject the bid, just as I did all the other bids for him and all of my other players this window. I can’t get a replacement anyway, as the English window has closed, so he’s not going anywhere.

Here are the major transfers from the January window. We weren’t involved in any major deals despite multiple big money bids for many of our stars.

Wow, that's huge money being spent from Manchester!

I usually skim over the user comments and just read your posts so I'm not sure if this has been asked but where did you download the player faces? I love those

Wow, that's huge money being spent from Manchester!

I usually skim over the user comments and just read your posts so I'm not sure if this has been asked but where did you download the player faces? I love those

Yeah over 100m from United in January! Crazy stuff

I don't think it has, and I think the face pack is called Scope Faces Megapack, I think it was on FM Scout.

FA Cup - Fourth Round - Stoke City (Home)

It’s another rotated side for the FA Cup today, as our next league game is a 6-pointer against Chelsea. I have faith in the young guys though, hopefully they can handle Stoke and see us through to the Fifth Round. Forster has only played 4 matches this season, but hasn’t conceded a goal in any of them.

In the 34th minute Cedric’s cross found Kurzawa, who laid off to De Paul, and his shot took a massive deflection off Ter Avest, completely wrong-footing Krul and finding the net! Another strike for Own Goal! He’s on fire!

In the 56th minute Stoke drew level though as Bahoui found the top corner of the net from Ter Avest’s pass inside.

Gitschier replaced Tadic in the 61st minute.

Milik and Balic were on for Sindelar and Muller in the 67th.

A minute later Gitschier lofted a lovely ball into the box for De Paul, who somehow missed what should have been an easy volleyed finish, firing the wrong side of the post!

And in the 88th minute we were hit with a sucker punch as we pushed forward, Bahoui netting his second after an excellent darting run into the box. Unbelievable solo effort.

Prins blasted over after Milik picked him out in the box in stoppage time.

A disappointing end to our 9 game winning streak, and Stoke take revenge after we smashed them a couple of weeks ago in the league. Maybe I shouldn’t have played so many youngsters, but I’m not all that bothered. We should have won that match with the side we put out. Bahoui produced a couple of sensational finishes for Stoke though, and that was the difference. I don’t think De Paul was our best player, as he missed a golden chance to put us in front midway through the second half. I believe this is our first home loss of the season. We may well have won every other match at home too, apart from the Barcelona game where we were up 3-0 until a red card in the 25th minute, and ended 3 all.

POM: Nabil Bahoui (Stoke City - 8.8, 2G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Rodrigo De Paul (7.5, 0G, 1A)

Shame about the FA cup exit there, hope you beat Chelski in the Capital one cup final though! Jorge Miguel looks like he'll become a good player! Some ridiculous transfers from the other clubs as well..

Shame about the FA cup exit there, hope you beat Chelski in the Capital one cup final though! Jorge Miguel looks like he'll become a good player! Some ridiculous transfers from the other clubs as well..

Thanks mate, it's a shame but not the end of the world. Looking forward to the Final! I like the look of Miguel, even if he's not rated as high by my coaches, I think he's a real talent. As for the other clubs, they went nuts!

English Premier League - Game 23 - Chelsea FC (Home)

Here’s the biggest match of the season so far. Previously, games against Chelsea have been a case of “It would be nice to sneak a point here, but I’m not expecting much”, and after they embarrassed us 6-1 on the opening day of the season, I can’t say I was looking forward to this. Now it’s a massive fixture which may end up determining this season’s Premier League champion. In 7 meetings with Chelsea we’ve won once and lost five times, including the last three. Time for that to change! We’ve gone out of the FA Cup unfortunately, but our league form is still good, and we will face these guys in the Capital One Cup Final in a few weeks too.

In the 9th minute we fell behind to an absolutely world class goal. Oscar sent a sensational curling through ball in behind the defence from near halfway, picking out Costa, who timed his run perfectly and stroked the ball first time, inside out, into the bottom corner, off the post, from outside the area. Just sublime.

Ward-Prowse slid an excellent angled ball to Asensio in the 18th minute, but his first time effort was grabbed by a diving Courtois. Great save, but he should have scored.

In the 49th minute Asensio controlled a Ward-Prowse corner and squared to Pjaca straight in front. All the time in the world to pick his spot. Straight at Courtois.

15 seconds later we won the ball back and broke forward. Asensio played an excellent ball for Vietto, but Courtois was too good, palming his effort aside. Pitman cleared for a throw in.

From the throw Ward-Prowse sent Chambers down the wing, and he sent a cross into the 6 yard box, which Gitschier volleyed home emphatically! Finally! Just as I was starting to think we’d never be rewarded for all of our pressure!

Tadic replaced Pjaca in the 61st minute.

Milik replaced Vietto in the 67th minute.

In the 73rd minute both teams turned the ball over in quick succession outside our box, and Ødegaard slipped the loose ball to Costa, who incredibly fired wide from just inside the box. Dragowski looked to have had it covered anyway.

Wanyama replaced Clasie in the 76th minute.

I told the team I was unhappy, but this isn’t a bad result. A win would have been fantastic, but we’re still top of the league. Had we been more clinical, we could have won as we were the better team, though not by a huge amount. We’ll play them again in the League Cup Final, and the title race remains wide open.

POM: Calum Chambers (8.7, 0G, 1A)

Gary Cahill wants more first team football. He’s done nothing wrong and played very well when selected, but the partnership of Laporte and Süle has been blossoming, and youngsters Jurcik, Upamecano and even Lovell are deserving of some game time too. One, or perhaps even two of the younger guys may have to go out on loan next season.

English Premier League - Game 24 - Burnley FC (Home)

We look to pile the pressure on Chelsea as we take on Burnley today. Arsenal showed that they’re still in this race as they beat Man City at the Emirates in the early fixture, whilst Chelsea face a trip to Anfield as both teams try to keep their title dreams alive. Taking advantage of these fixtures by winning against Burnley is vital, particularly as we haven’t won either of our last two games in all competitions.

In the 7th minute De Paul sent a forward ball for Vietto, who turned on the jets to race towards the area before shooting, but a sliding Hause got a touch on his shot, which deflected it safely into the arms of Heaton.

Sandro then played in Berisha in the 16th minute, and he pirouetted beautifully but his shot was smothered by Dragowski, and Jurcik put it behind for a corner.

Chalobah connected with the corner, but a diving Dragowski tipped it around the post.

In the 49th minute Vietto raced down the right, dodging multiple challenges, before cutting the ball back to Asensio, who shot tamely at the near post, and Heaton turned it behind.

Tadic replaced De Paul in the 57th.

Ward-Prowse and Asensio swapped positions a minute later.

In the 63rd minute an injured Tadic, who was waiting to be subbed off, chipped a ball in to Vietto, who volleyed straight at Heaton.

Sindelar replaced Tadic within the minute, shifting Vietto to the left wing.

Jurcik’s powerful header from Asensio’s 69th minute corner was brilliantly saved by a flying Heaton.

Laporte hit the side netting from the subsequent corner.

In the 73rd minute Balic replaced Clasie, and we shuffled positions again.

In the 78th minute Vietto sent a ball down the left for Sindelar. He cut inside from the flank, racing by two defenders and saw his shot rebound off the post! Aargh!

Tom Heaton stole a point for Burnley today, as we drop two at home to the relegation candidates. Hugely frustrating, as we couldn’t find a way past him. If Chelsea beat Liverpool they will climb above us on goal difference. Our mini slump needs to end.

POM: Tom Heaton (Burnley FC - 8.2, 10 Saves, 0 Conceded)

Best Southampton Player: Cedric (8.0, 0G, 0A)

Looking at the fact he gave them 17 free kicks and you 1, and his rating, I think the ref may have been a Burnley fan! **** that pesky Tom Heaton single-handedly holding you to a draw though. (Literally) A draw with Chelsea wasn't too bad either, keep it up!

Hang in there man you can do it !!!

Thanks mate, let's hope so!

Looking at the fact he gave them 17 free kicks and you 1, and his rating, I think the ref may have been a Burnley fan! **** that pesky Tom Heaton single-handedly holding you to a draw though. (Literally) A draw with Chelsea wasn't too bad either, keep it up!

Apparently so! Pretty unimpressed with that, I hate being robbed by goalkeepers!

English Premier League - Game 25 - Watford FC (Away)

A changed side again as we try to find a win at Watford. Liverpool trounced Chelsea 3-0 after an early red card for the Blues, which keeps us top of the pile, but also means the Reds and the Gunners are both still in this race. Gitschier and Asensio have switched positions in a bid to coax Asensio’s best form out of him again.

In the 28th minute Gray’s cross was volleyed into the roof of the net by Deeney. Not a good start.

Asensio and Gitschier switched positions at the break.

In the 53rd minute Asensio’s corner found Milik, but Rajkovic produced an outrageous double save, flinging himself across to block the first effort before leaping up to tip the followup over the bar. Unbelievable.

From the subsequent corner it happened again! Pjaca squared the ball for Milik, who cracked a lovely volley but watched Rajkovic tip it wide at full stretch!

Vietto replaced Milik in the 56th.

But in the 59th minute my defence watched as a soft, low cross skipped through the 6 yard box, leaving an unmarked Johnson with a tap in. Guys, you’re not 15, you can mark Johnson!!

We turned the ball over from the kickoff, and only Dragowski prevented Deeney making it 3.

Balic replaced Asensio before the corner was taken, switching with Ward-Prowse.

Kurzawa replaced Augustinsson in the 66th.

Our title challenge is falling apart. Chelsea move above us on goal difference as we slump to a woeful defeat. Once again, the opposition keeper was the star player, which is dreadfully unfortunate, but we should still be doing better. Four games in a row without a win, the last three in the league. There are now just two points between 1st and 4th.

POM: Predrag Rajkovic (Watford FC - 8.3, 9 Saves, 0 Conceded)

Best Southampton Players: James Ward-Prowse, Calum Chambers and Marko Pjaca (7.0, 0G, 0A)

Back