The Alfa Romeo Metaphor

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Oh the drama. Brazil wins and Mexico goes through.
View attachment 425801Ronaldo and Portugal are out! Costa Rica joins the Dutch in the second round!

Negotiations are progressing with Michael Smith. Here's my defensive midfielder. He'll be joining on a free in July.
View attachment 425799

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I'm pursuing a English defender who played last season in the German second division. His contract ends June 30th. We're trying to find out either his agent or his cell. I'll need cover for Frampton as Hazell.

England very nearly shut down today at noon (4pm in Brazil). There were a lot of contingencies. If England beat Argentina (yeah right), they are through unless Cameroon win by a big enough goal difference. Currently, England are +1 to Cameroon's -1. If Cameroon lose England are through. If Cameroon win by 3 and England draw, Cameroon are through.

All the speculation was entertaining, but mooted because England drew and deserved to. Cameroon drew and England are through. I could almost sense the collective sigh of relief when the Cameroon match finished followed nearly immediately by cheering and much alcohol consumption.

View attachment 487373
Russia and Uruguay are through. Yanks come through when it doesn't matter. What's up with that? Sheesh.

Last edited:
"If you can't take yourself to gills you take gills to you. In the form of STEVEN GREGORY
it's an enigma"
2 days later he is shot by a Swindon fan for supporting gills ba*****s

Awesome story man!

Thanks. I'm sure Wimbledon will be a challenging, but hopefully more stable than Cadiz.

"If you can't take yourself to gills you take gills to you. In the form of STEVEN GREGORY
it's an enigma"
2 days later he is shot by a Swindon fan for supporting gills ba*****s

It doesn't make sense why they'd let a fairly decent player like Gregory go. I went and checked and the four central midfielders currently on their roster are inferior to Gregory. Sometimes the AI isn't all that smart.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Spain needed at least a point to advance and they got it. The shared points means Slovakia advance, too.
View attachment 425527Belgium are on fire. Japan were assured a spot in the second round and were in this game until late. The other game didn't matter.

We're getting prepared for this Saturday's big volunteer day. We've got a lot of talented supporters who are willing to help. We're clearing up some brush outside the stadium to re-installing some heavy stainless steel guard rails to repairing a small corner of the roof over one end to painting. Then we're going to watch the World Cup matches and drink. Or depending on how long it takes, watching a recording. Regardless, we'll have a huge projection screen wheeled into a corner of the ground.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Group G is the weirdest! If Italy or Switzerland were to lose and Colombia or Australia were to win by enough (most likely Colombia), one of the Europeans would go home. But Italy and Switzerland looked at each other and decided a draw would be fab. And so it was.
View attachment 425506Group H got really interesting. Well, not for Germany anyways ... they were already through. Croatia lost but goes through because they didn't lose by enough and Paraguay didn't win by enough. The Kiwis decided to open things up and both teams took plenty of shots and created plenty of chances. What a match.

It's one of those moments when you a team loses but is hugging, dancing and singing in celebration while the winners of the other match are crying and looking suicidal. Whacky stuff!

So here's the draws for the second round. Holland-Mexico and Germany-Italy are the one's I'm looking forward to most.
View attachment 425505Tomorrow is Holland Mexico and Brazil-Cost Rica. England play Sunday. Italy play Tuesday. I think we'll have a great big match watching party as its the day the players arrive for physicals.

Saturday, June 28th dawned with clear skies and the promise of heat. It'd been a pretty hot June for London I'm told. All the supporters arrived at 9AM and we got started.

"Remember everybody, turn off your cells, don't cheat!" Erik yelled to the assembled throng. "The match starts at 11AM and we're recording it. We'll watch, eat and drink sometime between noon and one when we're done. As always, thank you for making this club what it is!"

And the painting, cutting, repairs, scrubbing and refurbishing began. There were loads of people on the painting crew and I'm about as handy as a sheepdog so I went out to help with the brush cutting.

"Hello, Enrico," said a familiar voice from behind me. I turned and there was a tall, young woman flanked by two young men. She was wearing cut-off jeans and an oversized grey tshirt. Then I recognized her without the heels, high fashion and make-up.

"Thanks for coming, Gwen," I said. "Are you three on brush clearing?"

"We are now," she said. "Meet my brother Nick and his mate Martin."

We all shook hands. This had to be the brother who thought I was a ******. Nice.

"Shall we?" I followed them out the gate.

"So Gwen mentioned your a lifelong Wimbledon fan. And your Dad, too."

"Uh huh," he replied. "Me Pops followed back when they was the Crazy Gang. Long before the move."

"So what do you think of the club now?" I asked.

"Wull, it's great," he replied as we approached overgrowth and were all given snippers and clippers. "Me Dads got a share. Donates occasionally and all that."

"And you Martin?" I asked.

"I support Chelsea," he replied. "But at least you've got a cool thing going, yeah?"

"There seems to be a lot of good will for the club from what I can tell," I said. They'd pointed to a section of overgrown bushes for us to begin sheering back.

"Wull, yuh," replied Nick. "You played in Serie A, right?" I nodded. "What was that like?"

"On the one hand, we were a pampered bunch," I replied. "But there's always the threat of the Ultras coming to a training and threatening everyone if you're on a bad streak. It's a lot slower there. Even compared to the lower leagues here. You guys ever watch any ice hockey?"

"I saw Milton Keynes against Peterborough once," Martin said. "I couldn't figure out what the **** was going on, but the fights was pretty cool."

"Well, the English play more like hockey," I replied. "I grew up going to NHL games in Washington, DC and the back and forth action that you see here just doesn't happen in Italy. Life just isn't as hectic like here in London as far as I can tell. I mean I've only been here a month."

"You went up against Totti and Ibra all them, right?" Nick asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "Totti is a force of nature and Ibrahimovic is a beast. He is far more stronger than you can imagine and the things he can do with the ball are amazing."

"Who's the greatest you faced?" Martin asked.

"Hmmm," I said. "Well, Totti and Ibra for sure. Gattuso is an annoying **** but man oh man was he difficult and painful to play against. There's Pirlo, too. He's from another ****ing planet. He sees things that I could only see watching video the next day. Del Piero. I don't know. The Milan teams hadn't gutted their squads, yet. Serie A was still the greatest league back then."

The boys, I realized they were younger than Gwen, were a bit in awe of actually meeting a professional footballer in the flesh. So the questioning went along those sort of lines until I saw Erik waving to me as he walked over.

"Pleasure meeting you two, but my Chairman wants something," I said and left the three of them to finish up the little bit that was left.

"Some good news, Enrico," he said as we met. "Michael Smith is happy with the terms we've offered and will get back to us. Probably tomorrow. Also, that lad playing in Germany, he's willing to come here on trial. He'll be here on the first with them. Also, can you come and help me with the final setup for lunch?"

Holland-Mexico was a cracker of a match. Mexico scored first and the Dutch responded immediately. It looked like it was going to be a basketball game. But of course both sides settled down. Nigel de Jong was at his most violent best. Arjen Robben got the Orange's goal and was flying. Van Persie must have been hurt as he was on the bench but never came on.

De Jong got a well-deserved second yellow in the 101st minute. That just guaranteed a cagey, boring end and penalties.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar scores.
Jorge Enriquez scores.
Robben scores.
Diego Reyes scores.
Johnny Heitenga misses! Seriously? Who let's Heitenga take penalties.
Hector Herrera scores.
Douglas misses. Among all the players available why him?
Ulisys Davila scores.

Pandemonium breaks out throughout Mexico and in the green half of the stadium.
View attachment 425067Costa Rica got lucky with an early penalty, but were never really in this one. Brazil simply overwhelmed them.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Big day. Big big day in England. Some people by staying drunk from the previous night. Bars opened early. The busy thoroughfares near my flat were nearly empty. A nation held it's collective breathe.

Rooney would start up top. Milner and Young would play on the wings. Gerrard and Wilshere would be the midfielders with Carrick in the holding role. The talk was about would Gerrard be able to keep up his sublime form.

The defense would be Hart in goal, Glen Johnson and Ashley Cole as fullbacks with Phil Jones and Chris Smalling in the center.

No Lampard, no Leighton Banes, no Theo Walcott.

England took the game right at the Russians from the whistle as it was a pleasant, sunny Brazilian winter day. The Russians couldn't cope.

In the 16th minute, Ashley Young won a corner down the left flank. Everyone waited while Jones and Smalling jogged forward. Rooney was aimless strolling around the penalty spot, back and forth. As Young stepped forward to take the corner, Rooney raced towards the corner flag. Young drilled a low one-hopper toward Rooney. With an outlandish flick of his heel he redirected the ball over the defender at the near post.

0-1

There were about 50 of us packed into the pub just around the corner, Young's Waggon and Horse, and the building literally shook and everyone screamed jumped up and began hugging everyone within hugging range.

They were unrelenting. The kept pressuring the Russians. They'd only made into the English half four times and launched three harmless, long-range shots.

We were justly rewarded in the 32nd minute. Once again I felt the anticipation build as we knocked the ball around the midfield. Milner and Gerrard did a little position swap as they interchanged passes with Glen Johnson. Then Gerrard was away down the right flank on one of his storming runs. He doesn't have the pace anymore, but he's decided to be the force of nature he once was. A slight head fake froze the defender and we all saw Rooney get free on a near post run.

Rooney met the cross with a volley past the keeper and bedlam ensued.

0-2

Hugging, kissing, too. Beer was spilled. The building shook once again.

Then the match calmed down. The Russians realized they needed to do something (anything?) to stop or at least slow down the unrelenting waves of attacks. And as everyone knows, the best way to do that is to apply some special sauce. The English wanted to make sure they didn't let the Russians have any chances.

By the time the fourth official had signaled 3 minutes of extra time in the first half, they'd been whistled for a ten fouls. If you counted fouls by the outraged pointing and shouting in the Waggon and Horse, fouls had reached three dozen.

Then with about a minute left in extra time, Wilshere caught the Russian right back ball watching. He played a ball behind the poor fool and Ashley Young was free to measure then line up then re-measure his shot just to be safe before curling the ball past the forlorn Russian keeper.

0-3!

It was all over before halftime. The second half was a celebration in the pub. The Russians tried in the second half but only launched long-range efforts. Quite a comprehensive victory. Remarkably, no Englishman got carded.

View attachment 424665 View attachment 424664

And, apparently, there was another match that day. Who knew?

I watched this one from home. Plus, I don't usually get this drunk this early in the day.

Uruguay played an awesome game. Their strategy of frustrating Messi and Argentina met an Argentina side that had an off day. Zabaleta saved the day with a late goal. But Messi and Aguero were off their games and Uruguay won the penalty lottery. I did not expect this result. Wow.
View attachment 424663

View attachment 424518Monday, June 30, 2014

The preseason starts tomorrow! The coaches and I went over and reviewed our training facilities at King's College sports ground at New Malden. While we share the facility with students, we can use the weight room, stationary bikes and we have one full pitch to ourselves from 10AM to 2PM. There's a conference room with a projector that we can use for reviewing match videos. It's a nice setup.

There's a ton of space. King's College brags they have 10.9 hectares of sports fields. I have no idea of what that means. Okay, Google tells me that 10.9 hectares is nearly 27 acres. The bottom line is that my squad is not going to have any conflicts with anyone else using the facilities. There's LOADS of room.

Back at Kingsmeadow, we're getting the Middle Bar set up for the World Cup watching party. You may or may not recall that AFC Wimbledon bought Kingsmeadow to ensure stability for us and for Kingstonian FC who also use the ground. Kingsmeadow has three conference/party rooms. We're using the middle-sized, middle one that is so aptly named. After the players do their physicals and establish their cognitive baselines (in case they have a concussion during the season) at New Malden, we'll come back Kingsmeadow where Erik and I will address the players.

"Gaffer," someone said from behind me. I turned. It was John the communications guy. Here's the deal. He's got an official title, but it's long and I can't remember it. He takes care of the website, puts together the matchday program, handles the media.

"Hey, John, what's up?"

"We've got to get you set up on Twitter."

"We do?" I replied.

"Yeah," he replied. "We're taking advantage of all technologies to boost our visibility and promote ourselves. This means we want you tweeting."

"Tweeting," I echoed.

"Let's sit down and get you set up," John said and pulled out a chair for me.

John explained that Facebook and Twitter were just like any other mode of communications. As manager I would be an official spokesman for the club. We reviewed what was acceptable behavior and what wasn't. The "fails" were hilarious, but I got the idea that I could potentially get sacked for being a complete @$$hole on the Twitter or on the Facebook. I was to avoid "flame wars" with irate fans or "trolls" from other clubs looking to start something.

He explained hashtags. I'm not sure I entirely understand, but I do understand that I'm supposed to use #wimbledon when I tweet about the club. He said that I'd fairly quickly build up a following, mainly fans and journalists.

Then we set up a Facebook account for me. It's sad, apparently, that I've never used Facebook. He gave me a tutorial. I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions and he said that this was normal -- there was going to be a learning curve.

Then he installed an app on my iPhone so that I could manage both the Twitter and the Facebook. The app seems pretty cool and mighty handy.

Here we go. Here's my first tweet:

View attachment 424500
Enrico Pucci @enricopucci - 5m
Players report tomorrow for @AFCWimbledon. Very excited to meet them
and get the preseason started. We're ready. #wimbledon

By the time John had gotten me all set up and I'd tweeted out my first tweet, it was time to watch the match. The food we'd ordered arrived and it was game time.

The Slovaks managed to stay close then tie it. The goal woke up the Belgians who went on to destroy them. Awesome match.
View attachment 424492Spain lost to Japan? Inconceivable. Japan led 4-1 at one point. The fourth goal woke up the Spaniards but their fight back was too little too late.

Holy buckets! Argentina and Spain are out? That's huge. England and Italy might have a chance now. Germany and Belgium become the favorites, though. But don't forget the Swiss; they are playing really well. And then there's the Dutch.

Wow, it's getting exciting!

Last edited:
Preseason begins

"Welcome to Wimbledon to some of you and welcome back to the rest of you," Chairman Erik Samuelson began. "We're very excited to welcome all these new faces. It's very exciting. You all know what this club is about and what we stand for. I'd like to turn it over to one of the new faces, our new manager Enrico Pucci."

"Thanks, Erik," I said taking a step forward as Erik took a step back. We were in the changing room at King's College London's New Malden sports ground. Everyone was in some state of lacing up boots or tugging on socks.

"I'm also excited to be here," I began. "There are only a few clubs like this on the planet. In American NFL there's the Green Bay Packers. They've won a couple of titles. But aside from them, we're probably the next most successful. Seriously."

"The club are working on plans to move to either a new ground or into the fan's spiritual home, Plough Lane," I continued. "We are working on building an Academy. Outreach to the community is a key philosophy. Whenever you see a supporter, they're not just a supporter. They could very likely be your boss."

"Because the supporters have such control, input and stake, we have certain obligations as their employees. Some portion of all of our salaries come from donations from supporters. You returning players understand this, but I want to not just welcome the new guys, but emphasize what Erik already talked to each of you about -- your unique role."

"Now, about the upcoming season," I said. "Many players contracts ended and I have been given the task of building a team that can compete for promotion into League One. We are still negotiating with several players and are still searching for just the right person in other cases."

"I played in Serie A for Bologna and know what it takes to compete at the top levels. I got relegated and promoted with them. The staff know this league and how to succeed in it. Hopefully within a week or so, we'll have the complete squad and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll feel it in your gut and you'll see it in our friendlies and eventually during the season that this team is competitive."

"**** is going to happen," I continued. "When it does, not if, let's talk. I don't really have an office, but you all have my cell and I'm always around. This will be a long, long season. Much will change. Everyone will get their opportunities."

"I would like to say one thing before we get started with the physicals. Okay, two. I am going to rely on young players to fill the gaps. I'll be watching how everyone practices, especially you younger players. I'm a firm believer that you play like you practice. Impress me and I'll play you."

"Anyone want to say anything?" I asked.

"Yeah," said Andy Frampton. He was most likely going to be Captain. "We came solidly in mid-table. We can build from that. I'm also really pumped up to have all you new lads here. We know now what it takes to be mid-table. We can do better!"

There were some grunts and some "yeahs" from the players.

The next part was boring. We have six treadmills, but only 2 breathing monitor setups. So everyone had to wait their turns to do the treadmill for Jon Whitney the Physio then run some wind sprints for Dave Wilson my Fitness Coach. The rest of us juggled or played man-in-the-middle.

I pulled Andy Frampton and Reuben Hazell aside to talk about who would be Captain. Andy would be Captain and Reuben would be Vice Captain.

Eventually, we all headed over to Kingsmeadow for lunch and the Germany-Italy match. What a history between these two countries.

Germany has never defeated Italy in a major tournament. Italy beat the Germans in 1982 in the final. In 2006, Italy beat them in the semi-final and went on to hoist the cup that year. Most recently, we beat them in Warsaw at the European Championships.

I was feeling hopeful.

Last edited:
View attachment 424246Another classic between the Germans and the Italians!

The Italians strategy was to apply an extra thick layer of special sauce and Mario Balotelli would do something magical. The strategy at least kept the Germans from scoring in the first half. The Germans could not get any rhythm going because of the incessant fouling.

The stats tell it all: 29 fouls in the match. 6 players booked. It says something about how disciplined the Italians were playing that nobody got red carded. The Germans had 59% of the possession but it was more like 75% in the first half.

The Germans managed to score of a corner in the 58th minute.

Then the Italians immediately changed their strategy and started playing. Wave after wave of Italian attacks pinned the Germans back. In the end the Italians out-chanced and out-shot the Germans, but needed Balotelli to be at the right place at the right time to poke home a rebound of Claudio Marchesio's shot which cannoned off the post just as the fourth official was holding up his sign to indicate 4 minutes of extra time.

And the Germans won the shoot-out lottery. The Germans finally beat the Italians in a major tournament.

And the Swiss beat Croatia. It was actually closer than it looked.

View attachment 424245

WOMBLEblog.co.uk
Wimbledon rebuild for new season

Duff
1 July 2014 19:47

New manager Enrico Pucci isn't bringing back any player whose contracted ended in June. That's 8 first team players. So far the players Pucci has brought are impressive. I saw them at the Berrylands yesterday as they gathered for the first time.

Adam Pepper is a tiny, ball-control wizard moving up from Conference play to League Two. He looked like the real deal at the kick-around yesterday while waiting to run on the treadmill or run sprints. I'm guessing he'll run the midfield.

Forward Jame Loveridge is tall and fast. Coaches seemed impressed with his sprints anyway.

There were some more players I didn't recognize, but the club hasn't announced announce any new signings so I can only guess that they are on trial. What made is slightly more difficult is all the youth players were there, too.

I only bring that up because Pucci is on the record saying he wants to bring in young players.

Pucci is holding a presser between World Cup matches tomorrow so we'll see what he has to say.

"Welcome to the second day of the season," I said to my coaching staff. We were gathered at the New Malden before the players arrived for the first real day of training. "We'll have a new arrival today, Kris Thackray. He spent last season playing in Germany and is out-of-contract. He's on trial."

"We've begun negotiations with Chris Dunn, goalkeeper," I continued. "I doubt he'll be here in time for Friday's match against Celtic. I'm fairly certain he'll sign. Keeper will be competitive this year, that's for sure."

"Steven Gregory and Simon Johnson will join us pretty soon, too. Erik and I are just crossing the tees and dotting the eyes and all that ****."

"Also, Michael Smith is willing to rejoin us," I said. "He just wants some guarantees in his contract. Erik and I are working those out right now. It shouldn't be too long until he's here."

"What else?" I asked looking over at my scouting team. Or at least the lone member who was here today. "What can I talk about at the press conference today."

"The player search continues?" Lil Fuccillo joked. "But seriously, we'll keep feeding you leads on players. There are loads out there."

"Any leads on players we can loan?" I asked.

"Not yet," said Lil shaking his head.

"Alrighty then," I said to change the topic. "Let's talk about the upcoming week."

"Work on the defense?" my Assistant Manager Sean Hankin asked. I nodded. "We're going to be pretty short-handed for Friday against Celtic but we should have a decent enough first half. Unless of course some new defensive signings appear."

"Everyone keep an eye on Daniel Barlaser and Mark Tomlinson," U18 Manager Mark Robinson said. "We think they're ready to step up and start contributing for the big team."

The entire youth team coaches nodded in unison.

"Okay then, we're done?" I asked. Everybody shrugged or just looked at me. "We're done. Players should be here soon so here we go."

I'm only on page 2, but I want to say I love this!

Helps that Cadiz are the baby cousin of Udinese and Granada, who are the sister clubs of my club, Watford.

Mucha Suerte!

I'm only on page 2, but I want to say I love this!

Helps that Cadiz are the baby cousin of Udinese and Granada, who are the sister clubs of my club, Watford.

Mucha Suerte!

Thanks!

In FM14, Cadiz are affiliates of Udinese and Fluminense. So, yes, Cadiz and Watford are siblings.

Last edited:
that was a brilliant read riveting stuff cant wait for more update

Back