The Alfa Romeo Metaphor

Friday, 7 November 2014 1:00pm

View attachment 404462"Thank you so much for coming," Chairman Erik Samuelson began. "We're not just here to announce signings. I also want to announce that we'll be spending four hundred thousand pounds to upgrade our New Malden facility. As you well know, King's College London owns New Malden. They, of course, were perfectly happy to let us spend money to upgrade their facilities. They're great partners for us."

"I have passed out sheets describing the changes," Erik continued. "A new weight and exercise room. New bikes and running machines. Ice baths. Two hot tubs. It's all delineated on the sheet.""

"This is all possible because of our fabulous supporters here and across the world," Erik said. "From the internet fundraisers we've had to the preseason tournaments Enrico arranged, we have enough money available to us that we will not be paying for these upgrades with a loan."

"Now on to our new signings," he said. "We're so very pleased to welcome Leandro Depetris and Brad Smith to the Fans Stadium Kingsmeadow. We see these two young men as more proof that this club is moving forward in challenging for yet another promotion and adding players who can help Wimbledon. I'm available for questions, but I'll turn it over to our Manager, Enrico Pucci."

"Like Erik said, thanks for coming," I said. "I'm very happy to introduce you to Brad Smith and Leandro Depetris who have just signed for Wimbledon. Brad is a fullback who can play either side. Brad comes to us from Liverpool's Academy."

"My scouting team was unable to identify a left back to sign in the summer but kept looking," I continued. "We've been coping well up to now, but I've always felt we could have used a third fullback. When they discovered Brad was unsigned by Liverpool, we jumped at the opportunity. Brad will provide cover as we push for promotion."

"I played against Leandro in Italy," I said. "It was obvious back then he was talented and that hasn't changed. I've been looking for additional central midfielders and when I asked my contacts in Italy, one of them reminded me of Leandro and that he was unsigned. Leandro brings the passing, ball skills and attacking I need in midfield."

"Any questions?" I asked.

"Robbie Williams, Skysports. Smith is available for Walsall? Will you be throwing him straight into the side?""

"Brad is a good player but he'll have to earn his spot on the training ground just like everyone else," I replied. "Cameron Dummigan is a bit tired from Wednesday's match so it will be a game day decision who starts at right back tomorrow."

"Collin Massey, BBC. Leandro is rather susceptible to injury, isn't this deal a bit of a risk? Won't he be more in the sick room than on the pitch?"

"Leandro was a top player at his last club," I began my reply. "Last season he was rushed back early because of his quality. Listen, I know what training facilities and what rehabilitation is like in the lower league clubs in Italy. Say a few Hail Marys, rub your rosary and get back on the pitch. We'll establish some base lines and monitor his condition closely just like we do with all our players."

"What does this mean for Harry Pell and Adam Pepper?" Collin asked. "Pepper, the only player you've spent money on, has been a bust and you haven't played Pell all season. Will you ship them out?"

"Leandro provides depth and competition in the center of midfield," I replied. "I play the players who are the best in training."

"Wayne Dunby, ESPN. You must be hoping Depetris will play a big part in any success the Dons have in the future?"

"I certainly hope he can make a big conribution," I replied.

"Follow up if I may," Wayne continued. "Depetris was highly rated when he first moved to Italy from Argentina but you have admit he's been a disappointment."

"I understand what it's like to leave home at a young age," I replied. "It's tough. I'd prefer Leandro to answer your question."

I translated into Italian for him. He answered.

"I was young, stupid," I translated. "The media said that all the clubs were chasing me. That they all wanted to sign me. The nightlife was fun, too fun. I felt homesick a lot. I hope that I can reward Enrico's faith in my skills and show that I have the talent and am willing to work hard."

"So do you see Smith as a signing more for the future?" Massey asked.

"Obviously," I said. "I'm acquiring young talent who can progress as this team progresses. Lovers and Smith up top. Twenty and Twenty-three. Danny Boy and Mark in the center of midfield. Both seventeen. Cam is eighteen. Lincoln my other keeper will get his share of matches and he's eighteen, too."

"Alan Duffington, Wombles Blog. I blog as Duff. How did you manage to keep this under wraps? Leandro is quite a signing."

"Well, first we aren't Chelsea," I joked. "I don't have paparazzi stalking my every move. Secondly, we know how to be discrete."

"What about the language barrier?" Duffington asked.

"Well, I speak both Italian and Spanish," I replied. "Matteo Nole is Italian and Drissa Dabre also speaks Italian. Initially, it'll be difficult. That's to be expected. But we're a family here. We'll work it all out. He'll get English tutoring."

"Would you agree that you've pulled off another coup?" Williams from Skysports asked. "Smith, Dunn, Nole now Depetris?"

"I'd like to answer that one, Robbie, if I may," Chairman Erik interjected. I smiled and nodded. "We've risen from the ashes of ripping a club out of it's community. We held try-outs on Wimbledon Commons as we tried to figure out where we'd play. We've risen through five divisions in nine years. We're in political negotiations with Merton Council about a new stadium. We're moving into a position where we can play real wages if Enrico can lead us to promotions. We're an exciting club that people want to be involved in."

Well played, boss.

"Brad, what did Liverpool overlook in you?" Duffington asked. "What did Enrico see in you that they overlooked?"

"First off, I'd like to thank Liverpool for my footballing education," Brad said. "It's a numbers game there. There are a lot of talented lads there and they will only keep so many players at each position. Look at how many Premiership and Championship players are Liverpool trainees. This is football. I hope to prove to Enrico and everyone here that I'm top quality."

"Anything else?" I asked when there were no more questions. "Alrighty then. Thanks for coming everyone."

Last edited:
League Two: Walsall FC v. AFC Wimbledon

And we're off to the West Midland to visit Bank's Stadium in Walsall just north of Birmingham. With Saturday morning traffic it really is a two and a half hour drive. The stadium is relatively new. This means working showers and toilets. That won't get old. Not for a long while.

View attachment 404445View attachment 534477We rolled up and got off the bus to sunny skies. But I knew it was a lie. By the time we'd come out for warm-ups, it was overcast. By the time the match was ready to start it was drizzling.

GK: Daniel Lincoln
D: Brad Smith, Kris Thackray, Andy Frampton (C), James Fenlon
M: Steven Gregory (DM), Simon Johnson, Daniel Barlaser, Adam Pepper, Matteo Nole
F: James Loveridge

Subs: Chris Dunn (GK), Cameron Dummigan (D), Reuben Hazell (D), Leandro Depetris (M), George Francomb (M), Fabian Rowe (M/F), Jack Redshaw (F)

Lincoln has been steadily improving and deserves to get some starts. Dummigan needed break so Brad is thrown into the deep end. Francomb's form had been deteriorating and either needed a rest or a benching so Simon Johnson gets a rare start.

"I'll get right down to it," I said to my players. "I want a win. Walsall are hurting. He was only appointed a few days ago. They'll be trying to impress their new boss. Don't take your foot off their neck.

"Tactically, I want you to play more narrowly, especially defensively," I continued. "We're fast enough to get out and shut down their wingers. I want to deny them any room to breathe in the middle."

"I have faith that you'll be solid at the back. I have faith that we'll control the midfield. I have faith that we'll create plenty of chances."

Their new manager Brian Laws lined them up in a 442 with the experienced Marlon Harewood partnering 20 year old Sean Maguire.

I was right about playing narrow. We just parked the bus and they couldn't get the ball inside and couldn't get a cross in from the flanks. They finally took their first shot in the 7th minute. A long-ranger that sailed high over the bar.

In the 14th minute, Simon caught their left back ball-watching but he couldn't convert Danny Boy's slide-rule pass into a goal.

Eventually, we started to have our way with them.

In the 28th minute, Gregory intercepted a pass and played a high ball out to Nole. Surprisingly, Nole won the header and his header went right to Pepper. Peps played a ball out wide to Simon. He beat the left back and charged into the penalty area. His shot was blocked and cleared.

Frampton got under the clearance and headed the ball to Danny Boy. Daniel turned and had time to look up and survey they scene. I saw the opening and so did he. Their central midfielders left him a nice, wide gap to run into. He did.

He took off like a greyhound chasing the rabbit at the track. He was entering the penalty box and the shocked central defenders had still only taken a few steps by this point. He hammered a low shot that the keeper got a hand to but couldn't keep out.

0-1

He ran over to the fans behind the goal and they all celebrated 5th of the campaign.

Walsall upped their effort after the goal, but couldn't get past our parked bus. Their best efforts were from long-range and only one was reasonably dangerous and I think Lincoln made his save look a wee bit more spectacular than it needed to be. Whatever, the kid looked really dependable in net -- I'm not going to quibble over style -- I just think he wants to impress.

Brad didn't nearly as unfit as I'd expected him to be at halftime. I figured I'd reevaluate at the hour mark.

Once again the Saddlers couldn't get past the parked bus. Their most dangerous moment was another long-range effort Lincoln snared with a diving save.

Danny Boy was spent after an hour so I replaced him with Leandro.

"Just relax and keep it simple," I told him in Spanish. "I have faith in you."

Pepper, Leandro and Steven Gregory began tapping the ball around the center circle then into the Walsall half. Purest tiki-taka stuff. Like they'd been doing this together for years. Then they brought Loveridge into the fun and he laid the ball off to Fenlon who'd charged forward from left back.

Fens shot right into the goalkeepers chest from 10 yards.

I knew that we were going to regret not icing this game.

I didn't know how soon.

Pepper played a sloppy pass across the midfield line that got intercepted. I wasn't too worried, though. The back line was in good shape, Gregory was in a good position to defend and Danny Boy was still back. The defender thumped a ball behind Brad. Brad got caught ball-watching. Their left midfielder James Baxendale raced onto the through ball and calmly slotted under the charging Lincoln.

1-1

My palm met my face. But then I heard a couple of shouts from the bench. I looked up and the linesman, Sweet Mary Mother of Jesus bless his sharp-eyed soul, had flagged for offside and it'd taken the ref a moment to notice.

0-1

Boy Howdy had we just gotten off the hook.

We held firm after that.

In the 81st minute, Lincoln made a long-range, dipping knuckleball shot that he played off the short hop look easy. While he looked calm, it was his excellent footwork that made it look easy. I turned to see everyone near my Goalkeeping Coach Paul Rachubka giving him high fives.

Brad wasn't looking tired. Fenlon was. So I sent on Dummigan at around 85 minutes. Since Brad was naturally a left back I sent him over to the left side.

As the clock approached 90 minutes I replaced Thackray with Reuben Hazell. Thacks looked haggard.

The ref signaled 3 minutes of extra time.

1 minute rolled by.

2 minutes roll by.

2 minutes, thirty seconds roll by.

Walsall picks up a stray pass in the midfield and I see the ref look at his watch. Any second now. They play it up to Harewood. Frampton heads it long and high.

The right fullback retrieves the ball and plays it down the wing. The ref looks at his watch. Blow the **** thing already.

Their right midfielder picks up the ball and runs at Brad. Brad has his angles right and has Matteo back-tracking to support him.

"Don't let him around the corner, Brad, don't let him around the corner," I mutter.

Davies puts on a burst of speed and beats Brad.

View attachment 404442He whips in a far post cross that is perfectly placed out of the reach of the defenders and too far out for the keeper to reach.

Andy Frampton watches the ball zing past him.

Daniel Lincoln watches it whiz by him.

Reuben Hazell doesn't do a thing as it sails past him. He's also forgotten about his mark.

Sean Maguire knows what to do. He cushions the ball into the back of our net.

"You've played your last match for me, Haz," I mutter to myself.

"I know this feels like a loss," I tell my players back in the changing room. "But except for 20 seconds at the end of the match, you played a perfect away match. It just wasn't meant to be our day."

"And if it's any consolation, we're still third," I continued. "Rochdale got spanked but are still first. Hartlepool also drew away."

View attachment 404440

Sunday, 9 November 2014 9AM

"I'm fkn kicking myself for replacing Thacks," I said shaking my head. I really had. I'd nearly gotten into a fight with Gwen because I was just so grumpy from losing points we should have banked. I defused the situation by apologizing for being in a bad mood because of the dropped points.

"Furthermore, I shouldn't have removed Fens," I continued. "Fens is faster than Davies and had kept him shut down all fkn day."

"****ing *** **** sunafabidge," I concluded.

"Seriously, boss, chill," Hanks said. "Smith and Tomlinson are back soon."

"And we only have Bury, the best away side in the league visiting our humble ground," Wools added. "They've only picked up a mere 12 out of 15 points."

"You guys are helpful like ..." I said and put my head in my hands without completely the analogy.

"Bury are going to be tough," said Lil continuing to worsen the situation. "They're rubbish at home. Relegation fodder. I just watched them. At home. I will never get that time back nor will I be able to unsee the horrid football they played. Dagenham and Redbridge, yes, Dagenham and Redbridge swatted them aside like they would a youth side. 4 nil."

"Yet in 8 away games they've won 6, drawn 1 and lost 1," he continued. "It's flabbergasting. They've scored 13 and conceded 6. On the road. It makes no sense. I obviously should have attended an away match."

"To be clear," physiotherapist Jon Whitney added. "Smith could be back as early as next Saturday or as late as two Saturdays. I should know more by Wednesday. Tomlinson might be fit again next weekend, but I wouldn't risk it. Match after Bury is a safe bet."

"I want to focus on shooting this week, attacking," I said. "Our scoring is only coming from Loveridge and Danny Boy. Now I realize we need to focus on defending as we face Bury next Saturday but let's sneak in some shooting drills each day."

"Also, I'm going to schedule a mid-week friendly against a semi-pro side," I added. " I want us to get used to scoring freely again."

I awoke Monday morning to emails from the U19 managers from Northern Ireland and Turkey. I didn't have to open them to know the good news wrapped around a brick of diminishing playing squad. This was going to hurt. Brad Smith wasn't fit enough yet to play a full 90 minutes and WTF was I going to do with out Danny Barlaser. Leandro wasn't fit to last 90 either and I didn't want risk an injury to him.

Leandro is going to have to start alongside Pepper. Okay, that can work. Peps game is starting to pick up and he already showed he and Leandro can emulate Barca.

I read and replied to my emails while I drank my coffee.

Friendly: AFC Wimbledon v. Kingstonian FC

View attachment 404285Isn't this fun? We're going to work out some of the kinks in our offense against our buddies Kingstonian. Here's the history. We moved in with them and eventually bought Kingsmeadow from them when they were having trouble. They're a great organization and we dubbed this match Kingston-Upon-Thames Cup. Now that we're a professional side, the occasional friendlies are no longer competitive. They just hope for a good showing against us. But this one was going to be all in good fun.

GK: Daniel Lincoln
D: Brad Smith, Reuben Hazell, Ben Harrison, James Fenlon
M: Steven Gregory, George Francomb, Leandro Depetris, Adam Pepper, Matteo Nole

There was a bit of controversy in the first minute!

George broke into the box and was tackled from behind by Kingstonian's Anton Heys. Despite pleadings from both sides, the ref flourished a red card. My players pushed the irate Kingstonian players away and begged and pleaded with the ref not send him off.

The ref was taking this far too seriously.

Leandro went up for a header in the 21st minute and fell strangely and clutched his ankle.

I cursed for nearly thirty seconds straight. His night was done and his ankle was wrapped in ice.

Other than George not getting a goal, I saw what I wanted. Everybody got 45 minutes except Sam Bailey, Leandro's replacement. I let him play the full 70 or so minutes.

League Two: AFC Wimbledon v. Bury FC

Which Bury would show up? The best away team in League 2 or the team who play like relegation candidates at home. I think y'all know who I'm hoping shows up.

Adam Pepper called me this morning. He has the flu. Yet another midfielder down. Nice.

So Matteo Nole moves inside to pair with Leandro Depetris. I decided to give Fabian Rowe his home debut. Let's see if he shows me something. Simon Johnson is my reserve midfielder to come on when Leandro starts to fade.

Lil says I need to tightly mark Ashley Grimes who he expects will play left midfielder. Consequently, Fenlon starts at right back. Their teamsheet indicates they'll come out in a 451. So Gregory marks their striker Chris Iwelumo.

GK: Chris Dunn
D: James Fenlon, Kris Thackray, Andy Frampton, Brad Smith
M: Steven Gregory (DM), George Frampton, Leandro Depetris, Matteo Nole, Fabian Rowe

"C'mon, guys!" I say to start off my prematch team talk. "You hear those fans out there? This stadium is full yet again. They show up week after week to see us. And we've delivered. So far at least. Today is the perfect day to break out of this rut we're in. Let's go out there and kick some fkn Bury backside for these people, eh?"

Fabian and Fens take the ball down the left. Fabian tries several times to get crosses in but fails. So he tries dribbling in. The Bury right back eventually manages to get a toe to the ball and it rolls free but Fabian is on it in a flash and shoots high.

Nice start kid. I appreciate the effort.

In the 10th minute, Francomb curls in a to the far post. Matteo Nole leaps and connects on a header. It looks goalbound until the keeper gets a fingertip to it and get it over the crossbar.

In the 19th minute, Nole hit a 40 yard pass from our side of the center circle between the center back and left back. Nole saw Loveridge start a run in that direction. Lovers was on it in a flash and raced goalwards. Loveridge slowed down a bit and scooped the ball over the keeper.

I heard the entire stadium gasp.

The ball floated in slow motion over the keeper. It started dropping. It was going to be close.

The entire stadium groaned as it bounced off the top of the crossbar.

What did we have to do to buy a goal?

In the 28th minute, Brad dribbled into the penalty box and teased the defender while trying to find an option. He couldn't so he made a move to the end line. A defender managed to get a tackle in and another managed to clear the ball but only to the edge of the box. Nole then tried the same thing and won a corner.

George lobbed the ensuing corner straight to the goalkeeper.

In the 35th minute the broken record continue. From a corner George's corner is cleared to Captain Andy. Andy's shot is cleared off the line.

When the ref blew for halftime, Bury hadn't taken a shot. I guess the relegation fodder version of Bury had shown up.

"Okay, listen," I said once everyone was settled in our locker room at halftime. "We're playing great. They haven't had a sniff and we're banging away. Keep it up. The goals will come. Stay focused and keep working hard."

Bury came out for the second half much more energetic. It only resulted in a long-range shot that Dunn easily saved.

In the 50th minute, George beat two defenders like rented mules but he only had Loveridge to aim for. Bury easily cleared it.

In the 51st minute, Leandro played a pass up to Lovers. He controlled the ball and charged at the defenders. When he created a space in which to shoot, he chunked a dribbler of a shot well wide.

Lovers wasn't having the best match. Someone else was going to have to step up if we were going to score.

In the 53rd, Andy's header from yet another corner glanced off the post and into the side netting. The crowd groaned for what seemed the umpteenth time.

We kept up the pressure. As the hour mark passed, Bury's defense was panicking. The Shakers simply couldn't get the ball and when they did, they couldn't get out of their half. They were resorting to Keystone Kops desperation defending. At some point, someone was going to be left unmarked and we were going to score.

I had to replace Leandro. He was starting to tire and I wasn't about to risk it. Simon replaced him at about 65 minutes.

James Loveridge certainly wasn't going to score. He was having a rare poor match. I replaced him with Jack Redshaw with 21 minutes left.

In the 72 minute, Brad went galloping down our left flank with the ball. When he drew two defenders, he played a ball into the box for Fabian. Redshaw made a near post run drawing the two central defenders.

George Francomb made a very late back post run. Fabian, bless his li'l old overblown sense of entitlement, saw the run and hit his cross toward the far post.

George side-footed the ball in from about 3 yards.

1-0

The stadium went nuts. I was mobbed by Hanks, Wools and Rachubka.

What a relief.

View attachment 403745And we kept up the pressure. Several chances were squandered until the 78th minute. Simon ran at the back-pedaling defense. He played it square to Redshaw who blasted away from 20 yards. It hit a defender and fell to Nole. He took two quick touches forward resulting in a panic. He then flicked the ball to his right to a forgotten Francomb who blasted a missile past the forlorn keeper.

2-0

For once I was able to relax. That iced it.

I replaced Brad with Haz so as not to risk an injury to my not-quite-fully-fit new signing.

This victory was quite the team effort. Yes, George was man of the match, but Gregory intercepted nearly everything sent toward the Bury striker Iwulumo. With Andy and Thack's help, Iwulumo didn't win a header all match. Fenlon made sure their dangerous left midfielder Grimes did nothing. The midfield did a great job of moving the ball and the possession stats show that.

Well, maybe Dunn didn't contribute much. But, seriously, keeper's always love the occasional match in which they don't get their kits dirty.

We are in 3rd on goal difference, but the table-topper match of Rochdale-Southend ended in a one all draw. Hartlepool stayed 4th with a 3-1 win and Cheltenham 5th with a 2-0 away win.

View attachment 403744

View attachment 403555We're more or less one-third of the way through the League Two season. The top of the table is pretty packed. We're a point behind the leaders but Burton in the last playoff spot are only three points behind us.

Michael Smith will be coming back from injury in a few days. This means that I can reunite the deadly Loveridge-Smith combination up top.

Mark Tomlinson will also be back in a few days. This means that I can play a 442 as he covers so much more ground than Steven Gregory and gets the tackles in whereas tackles are a rarity with Steven.

Consider our fixture list through the end of the year.

Our next match away to Burton will be tough as will Wycombe and Southend.

The only "easier" matches are Oldham and Accrington.

View attachment 403506

Next consider the full stats for the top of the table.
View attachment 403499

We're ****ing lucky to still be in third. When we've dropped points, so did many of the teams around us.

I think we're primed to go on a nice little run. Here's hoping...

"We should be thankful we're playing Burton at away," Lil Fuccillo, my Chief Scout, began our Sunday 1PM staff meeting. "They're quite good, actually the best in the league away. But at home they're +1 goal differential. They've scored 17 but conceded 16. We've scored 17 at home as well. The difference between our sides is we've conceded only 4."

"They play a 451 with wingers not outside midfielders," Lil continued. "But he bottom line is, stop their lone forward and we stop Burton."

"They're on a nice little run, though," Lil said. "They won five straight, drew and won yesterday. So they're undefeated in 7. Also, they don't let in goals in the first half. Stay patient and wait until the second"

"Thanks, Lil," I said. "So Tomlinson will mark their forward and Cam and Fens lock down their wingers."

"I plan on starting Smith up top" I said. "Loveridge has been carrying the team offensively and needs a rest. Yesterday was a pretty sad display."

"How're Smith and Tomlinson looking, Whits?" I asked.

"Mark will be back in training Tuesday," our physiotherapist replied. "Smith on Wednesday. Pepper will be available Tuesday. He's lost a good bit of weight from the flu."

Last edited:
It started Sunday afternoon during training. It was cold and drizzled the whole time and I felt the slightest tickle in the back of my throat towards the end. As soon as I got into the changing room, i.e. when I got somewhere warm, I could tell that something was wrong. I changed but didn't feel better. I got home and felt worse. My throat started hurting and my nose was running.

I texted Gwen to cancel our date. She called and said she'd be right uover. She quizzed me about my symptoms.

She arrived with a bag full of Chinese take-out and pills.

"Take two of these green ones and one of these," she said then plied me with soup. Then she wrapped me up in blankets in my reading chair and took my temperature.

"I wouldn't have guessed you had such a maternal instinct," I croaked.

"It's just good you're adorable when you're sick," she replied.

Toosday Novembry 2018

At least the hallucinations stopped. I think. Still not dead yet. Wish I wash.

Wednesday, 19 November 2014

My fever finally broke. My bed is a lake.

Thursday, 20 November 2014

I went to the training today. I watched my coaches run things. I feel feeble. I knew if I tried to yell or anything I'd just hork up a lung or something so I just watched. Smith and Tomlinson are back. Good to see them training again. It looks like we'll be ready for Burton.

League Two: Burton Albion FC v. AFC Wimbledon

View attachment 540597Another morning train ride up into the Midlands. Woot.

I was bundled up as if a blizzard was about to hit. Running tights underneath my pants, scarf, hat and parka. I was feeling better but I was paranoid the dampness of this island would make me sick again.

Fabian Rowe had played well enough last week and my coaches said he'd had a good enough week that he ought to start on the left.

Mark Tomlinson was fit enough to start, but Michael Smith wasn't so he's among the subs.

GK: Chris Dunn
D: Cameron Dummigan, Kris Thackray, Andy Frampton (C), James Fenlon
M: Mark Tomlinson (DM), George Francombe, Daniel Barlaser, Leandro Depetris, Fabian Rowe

Subs: Daniel Lincoln (GK), Reuben Hazell (D), Brad Smith (D), Steven Gregory (M), Matteo Nole (M), Simon Johnson (M), Michael Smith (F)

I told Tomlinson to mark their forward Rene Howe. I told Fenlon and Dummigan to mark their outside midfielders tightly. Lil had warned that they played well in the first half, so I told them to start cautiously.

On our first foray into their half (7 minutes in), we lost the ball and the broke on the counter. Their right midfielder Jason Banton had the ball, their left midfielder Adam McGurk was wide open as Cam was slow getting back and they outnumbered us. But their counter just fell apart. Frampton intercepted the hospital ball pass Banton rolled toward Howe.

In the 9th minute, we made it into their half again and lost the ball. They broke fast on the counter again and this time managed to play Banton in alone on Dunn. Dunn made himself large and Banton's shot hit him point blank. Fenlon cleared.

In the 13th minute, Tomlinson lumped a ball forward. He has a tendency to try the Hollywood ball early in matches. Normally, I yell at him to maintain possession. But this time Loveridge chased it down, won it and curled a ball toward the far post. The keeper dove and tipped it round the post. Honestly, it was a brilliant save.

As everyone jogged forward for the corner, Mark looked over at me and smiled. Smartass.

We created the better chances. Their keeper made another great diving save on Lovers in the 21st. Francomb's free kick hit the post in the 24th and Lovers hit a spectacular volley against the post in the 28th.

I was starting to get worried. That was 4 great chances.

Rory Delap put the ball in the back of the net in the 34th minute. He was a mile offside. Didn't count.

Then we got three chances in quick succession. In the 38th, George curled in a back post special and Fabian headed it back across goal. Burton cleared it and broke on the counter. It fell apart and we brought it back forward. George curled in a near poster which Lovers controlled at the edge of the six yard box.

I'll grant him that he had his back to goal. And I'll grant him that it was generous of him to dish to Leandro who was 15 yards out for a chance to score his first goal for the Dons. The keeper parried his shot and Burton broke yet again on the counter.

Tomlinson leapt in with a brilliantly timed tackle and ended the counter. **** I'm glad to have him back.

We brought the ball up and resumed testing and prodding their defense. We kept the ball in and around the box for a while but couldn't find a weakness. We eventually won a corner. George saw Cam making a near post run and delivered a ball to his feet and Cam deflected it in for his first ever first team goal!

0-1

The team mobbed him by the corner flag in front of the travelling supporters.

Only a couple of minutes until half time. To my surprise Burton didn't bring the ball straight down and score. I really shouldn't be this pessimistic. I just can't help myself.

"Great job out there, boys," I croaked. I sounded ridiculous so like with my pre-game talk, I kept it brief. "Keep it up. We're shutting down Howe and their wingers. Great job."

Smith spent halftime warming up and replaced Lovers. Lovers wasn't looking dominant. That's two straight matches he'd looked off. He just wasn't running at the defenders with confidence for whatever reason.

And they scored soon after the restart.

Delap heaved in one of his patented long throws. Andy headed right back to him. Rory played a pass infield to Banton. Banton controlled it took one step and unleashed a laser-guided missile from 35 or more yards out that nearly ripped the netting to shreds. That's a goal of the year golazzo candidate.

1-1

View attachment 401445 There's not much you can do when someone does something amazing except applaud. I only object to the preventable goals.

The game settled down and neither team were able to create any chances.

In the 68th minute, Stuart O'Keefe lobbed a 40 yard free kick into the box. Someone in the mosh pit headed back out where it came from. For the second time that night, a volley screamed netward. O'Keefe had connected as purely as you could dream of. Thankfully, Dunn saw it the whole way, leapt and snared it.

What a shot, what a save.

With time running out, Fabian took a speculative long-range shot. Their keeper must've taken his eye off it for a fraction of a second and spilled it. Smith tried but the keeper got their first.

Bore draw. I'll take it.

We drop to fourth because Wycombe won. We could have gone as low as fifth but Cheltenham drew at home.

View attachment 401444

View attachment 401026Sunday, 23 November 2014, noonish

"Well," I said. "We're still in this."

"We've got 4 wins and 3 draws out of our last 9," Coach Matt Woolley said. "But only 1 win in our last 5."

"In our last 8 matches, since the drubbing at Rochdale, we've conceded 7," Assistant Manager Sean Hankins added. "That isn't too shabby."

"True, but we've only scored 13 in our last 9," Wools replied. "And 6 in our last 5."

"I think we can agree that we're struggling offensively," Goalkeeper coach Paul Rachubka concluded. "I think it's also obvious that injuries have been the cause."

"We need to get Michael Smith back on form now that he's healthy," I said. Everyone nodded. "So it's pretty obvious that our training focus should be on our offense this week."

"Was Cam's first goal our first goal from a corner all season?" I asked.

The meeting went silent as we all consulted our phones.

"He's the first defender to score," Hanks replied.

"Yes, first goal from corner all season," Wools replied.

"Depetris is pretty good at corners," Rachubka observed. "Do we want to switch to him taking corners?"

"Sounds like a plan," I replied.

Last edited:
Back