LOVE this career thread, a real credit to the writers that play Football Manager! More incredible updates and more meanders than a river. Love it! Great job, keep it coming!

LOVE this career thread, a real credit to the writers that play Football Manager! More incredible updates and more meanders than a river. Love it! Great job, keep it coming!

Oh, now you've made me blush ^^) ...

Please don't injure or otherwise kill the messenger, please?

"Can I have everyone's attention?" I hollered. The locker room quieted down. "I have some bad news. The holding company that Florentino controls that owns Cadiz CF is having cash flow problems. The result of our holding companies problem is that we won't be getting paid on the first."

Silence.

"This means players, coaching staff and club staff," I continued. "Personally, this is really demoralizing news. I'll be honest. The crash of 2008 ruined me financially. I don't have the reserves to handle this."

"Also, and I'm sure the coaching staff agrees with me, we've just started to play with some real confidence. We're all here on a contract for only this season. What would be really sad is if this affected our play. I am confident we have a real shot at getting promoted. You all know how hard it is to win the Segundo promotion. I'm not impressed with Albacete and Atletico Sevilla. They have weaknesses I think we can exploit if we meet either in the play-offs. But we have to hang together. We can do something special here, this season."

"We can do something memorable. I know that a few of you have won something in your careers. When you've hung up your boots, years from now when your kids and grandkids sit on your kneed, you can tell the story of how penniless Cadiz defied the all the odds and gained promotion."

"One more thing, if anyone from the media asks you about this, have them contact Alessandro Gaucci. Do not under any circumstances say anything. Whatever the question, your response must be "please contact Director of Football Alessandro Gaucci." I must emphasize that nobody speak to the press about this."

"Any questions?"

"Do they have any idea when this problem will be fixed?" Club Captin Mikel Martins asked.

"I'm sorry, no," I replied. "I will keep you all posted about any news or updates. Anyone else?"

Silence.

"If anyone has any questions, concerns or anything you want to talk to me privately about, please seek me out. Okay?"

Silence. A few players nodded recognizing my offer.

"Then let's get out there and start today's training."

I got the Alfa towed to my mechanic. The battery was dead. I'd left the headlights on. I needed a new battery.

To make matters worse, during Wednesday's training Airam pulled up limping. Michel quickly confirmed that it was a groin strain. He estimated that our leading scorer would be out three weeks.

View attachment 441816

What next?

Round 12: CD El Palo v. Cadiz CF

El Palo are a semi-professional team based in Malaga. It's 230 odd kilometers to Malaga, a two and a half hour drive. With our budget situation, we would not be spending the night in Malaga. It was a Sunday afternoon bus ride for a 7pm match.

View attachment 441807

The stadium seats 1,000. It's tiny. We changed on the bus, they have no facilities.

View attachment 441806 View attachment 441805 View attachment 441804

Several hundred fans watched from the adjacent apartment buildings that had better views than from inside the Nuevo San Ignacio.

GK: Alejandro
D: Dalmau, Chara, Belforti, Moises
M: Kike Lopez, Bruninho, Luque, Perico
F: Souda, Villar

Subs: Andres, Ceballos, Martins, Josete, Kike Marques

Chief Scout Jose Manuel Barla had told us to expect El Palo to play a 4-1-3-1-1. Their lone threat was Antonio Moreno.

My team talk was simple:
1. Give their lone forward Moreno the special sauce. Clamp down on him.
2. Keep the momentum going from last week's victory.

Several hundred Cadistas made the trip and were singing about getting drunk in Malaga.

We started brightly. Kike Lopez stormed down the right flank and whipped in a cross. Villar leapt, but couldn't get above the ball and his header sailed harmlessly over.

In the 5th minute, Belforti intercepted a pass and played the ball to Villar. Villar might have well as sat down, ordered a beer and some tapas for all the effort he made to get to the pass. He literally stood there and waited for the ball to arrive. An enterprising El Palo player nipped in and intercepted the pass. He fed the ball to Duran, their withdrawn forward, who played a soft chip over Belforti's head. Moreno ran onto the ball and slipped it under the advancing Alejandro.

0-1

Villar, Villar, Villar, Villar. WTF?

The Cadistas are known for their sporting, fair play mentality. They'll applaud a nice play or a spectular effort regardless of which team did it. They applauded Duran's pass and Moreno's goal.

No problem, right? We'll come back and take the points.

We certainly tried.

We immediately brought the ball into the El Paso half and moved it around but couldn't penetrate. Bruninho eventually tried a shot from 25 meters. Easy save as it was directly at their keeper.

Luque drew a foul challenging for a header in the 16th minute. He was rubbing his neck, but seemed fine. I smashed the free kick right at their keeper.

In the 18th minute, Luque won a tackle in our half and played it back to Moises. Moises sent a ball up the left to Perico. Perico took a few steps forward, saw Villar making a run toward the top left corner of the penalty box and threaded the ball into his path. Villar beat his defender, advances on goal and tries to beat the keeper at his near post.

Their keeper made a nice save to preserve their lead.

In the 25th minute, Luque played a ball into the corner for Villar to chase. Villar laid a pass into the path of Perico who was heading into the box. Perico beats his man and advances along the end line toward the goal.

His shot mystifyingly trickles along the goal line and eventually goes out on the far side of the goal for a goal kick.

Then they started doubting themselves and over-passing. This made defending easier as all El Palo had to do is park the bus. Furthermore, Villar and Souda are both short. Well, I should say that Souda is short, but Villar is not all that interested in challenging for high balls into the box. In other words, Villar plays like a short guy.

We kept the ball in their half for almost all of the 1st half, but went into the shed that sufficed as our changing room down one goal to nil.

"Bad luck out there, boys," I said. "I have faith that you'll come back. Just stick to it. We'll find the equalizer and move on from there."

Luque's neck had stiffened up while we sat in the shed. I replaced him with Martins. I didn't want to risk the injury becoming worse.

I was late returning to the bench as I had to take a whiz. Since our changing room as literally a shed, I had to go into the stadium and wait in line with everyone else to use the restroom.

All I saw as I walked in was Alejandro making a fantastic, scrambling, point-blank save on Moreno.

"What'd I miss?" I asked Paco.

"Duran played another ball over Belforti's head," Paco explained shaking his head. "Belforti was ball watching and Moreno was in alone again."

Alejo was in the Cadiz technical area screaming himself purple.

Our confidence was like a balloon that had been filled, but hadn't been tied shut. Instead of being motivated by Alejandro's great save, it was like all the air went out of the Cadiz balloon.

We kept the ball in their half, but didn't really threaten the El Palo goal.

Perico was worn out at 60 minutes, so on went Kike Marques to replace him. Kike Lopez was starting to look tired so I replaced him with Andres around 69 minutes.

I should have put on Andres earlier. He was determined to salvage something even if he had to do it himself.

Coming in off the right flank in the 80th minute, he took a shot from the top corner of the box. It was an easy save for the keeper, but it was the first save he'd had to make in a while.

"At least he took a shot," Paco said to the nobody in particular.

Things were looking grim for Los Submarino Amarillos. Dalmau looked uninterested. Martins wasn't looking very convincing in the center of the park. Villar and Souda were waiting around from someone in midfield to do something. Or only hope was attacks from the flanks and Kike Marques was proving to be as useless as ever.

Essentially, it all came down to Andres.

In the 85th minute, Chara controlled a long clearance. He had plenty of time and picked out Andres out wide right. Andres stormed past their left back and headed straight for goal. From 15 meters he hit a grass burner for the far post. It hit the far post and a grateful El Paso defender kicked it high above the netting that surrounds the stadium and off one of the adjacent buildings.

In the 90th minute, Kike Marques and Villar were trying to find an opening in the defense. All they could manage to do was set up Moises with a shot from 20 meters. Moises? Seriously? How about taking on a defender? Moises hit a tame effort directly at the keeper.

The fourth official indicated 5 minutes of extra time. We kept the ball in their half, but couldn't find an opening.

95 minutes passed. The ref had only glanced at his watch. The El Paso manager is yelling at the ref. The El Palo fans are whistling.

96 minutes passed. The ref was definitely giving us a chance here. I wish we'd take it. The El Paso manager is shrieking at the ref. The El Palo fans are still whistling, some are booing.

97 minutes were about to pass. Moises had the ball in his hands for a throw in about 25 meters from the end line. I figured the ref was about to blow his whistle, but he's going to let Moises take the throw.

Moises heaves it into the penalty box. I had no idea the kid could throw it that far. Villar making a rare effort to win a header leaps and sends his header into the danger area. Unfortunately, a defender heads it out.

The ref still hasn't looked at his watch. One last chance! The ball falls to Martins. Our captain tees up a shot and launches it for the far top corner. The goalie leaps and snares the ball.

The ref looks at his watch.

The ref blows three blasts on his whistle.

We've lost to a ****** ****ing semi-pro team.

I tell the team that they were just unlucky. Which is kind of correct. We were unlucky to lose Michael to a drug suspension we weren't told was hanging over his head. We were unlucky to lose our top scorer Airam in training during the week. We were unlucky to lose Jorge Luque to a neck strain at halftime.

View attachment 441792 View attachment 441791

Albacete and Atletico Sevilla both won. Now we lead Cartagena and Lucena on mere goal difference.

Since there was no showers at Neuvo San Ignacios the air in the bus was putrified by the time we arrived back in San Fernando at our training facility.

Last edited:
Unlucky with the loss mate, still lots of time to close the gap! Fantastic read by the way. Keep it going. :)

****, real shame about the defeat but I'm sure you can bounce back! Great read once again!

Unlucky with the loss mate, still lots of time to close the gap! Fantastic read by the way. Keep it going.
smile.gif

****, real shame about the defeat but I'm sure you can bounce back! Great read once again

Thanks for they sympathy. My priority is to just get into the Promotion Play-offs.

Becoming the champion doesn't entitle you to much of an advantage except for playing the 4th place finisher in your group of the El Segundo Promotion Playoffs. It's really tough, because if you get past the first round then you play the winner of the other play-off from your sub-group. If you win the second round then the winners of the 4 groups play off.

Here's where it gets a bit easier. The two losers of the inter-group rounds face off over 2 legs. The winner gets promoted so that in the end 3 teams get promoted out of El Segundo.

dariodecadiz.es 3 November 2013
Los Submarino Amarillas finally lose
Bogdan Laba

Cadiz CF's ten match unbeaten run finally came to an end against the unlikeliest of opponents. The semi-professionals of El Palo, a Malaga side, bestedLos Submarino Amarillas with an early goal by Antonion Moreno.

Cadiz were unlucky as numerous chances were just wide and substitute Andres hit the post in the dieing minutes as they pushed for an equalizer.

The defeat could have been worse except for the spectacular save to start the second half by Cadiz goalkeeper Alejandro. The defense were caught out and Moreno was in alone. Alejandro's scrambling, top class save kept Cadiz in the match.

Cadiz sorely missed leading scorer Airam. Aymen Souda replaced him, but he and the white hot Jose Villar, four goals in last two matches, couldn't find the magic necessary to right the ship.

Cadiz's chances were also hurt when Jorge Luque was withdrawn by manager Enrico Pucci because of a stiff neck. Luque had come off worse for an aerial challenge in the first half. Club Captain Mikel Martins, who normally plays as a central defender, could not fill the playmaker's boots.

Cadiz remain third despite the loss. They travel to Arroyo next Sunday.

After Sunday's match, Monday's staff meeting and Monday's training, I was feeling pretty down. My staff was trying to put a brave face on it, but I could tell that everyone was worried. The Spanish Federation had rules about clubs that couldn't pay their players and staff. Nobody knew exactly what the rules were, but they exchanged stories they'd heard about or remembered of clubs with financial troubles. The effect was like kids telling bogeyman stories around the campfire; the result was we pretty much scared the **** out of each other.

I just felt that something was off in training. Maybe it was just me.

I decided that I wanted to see Ana Maria. Cadiz's training finished long before she got off work, so I wandered into the old town and to the Alameda Alpodeca. It's a public garden that I find really peaceful. I sat there, tried to relax but really only wound myself up even more.

View attachment 441438 View attachment 441439

Around her quitting time, I texted her that I'd had a bad day and asked if I could see her. She said yes. I replied that I'd be waiting outside her office.

"Hi," I greeted her and hugged her.

"I saw the result in the paper," she said. "What's going on?"

"I'm worried," I replied. "On one hand, I'm broke. I don't have any savings. On the other hand, I'm worried about the club getting deducted points. Furthermore, I'm worried that morale will slip and we'll have more results like from last night."

"Let's not talk here," she said. "Let's walk. I've sat all day."

"Don't you have a manager's union?" she asked.

"I hadn't thought of them," I replied. "But, yes, I've got a handbook. I guess it's time I read through it."

"Here's a nice place," she said. "Let's have a glass of wine. On me."

She was right. Later back at my place I read the manager's handbook. All my staff paid dues and were entitled to help.

Of courese, there was also the additional bonus that she also improved my morale.

Last edited:
dariodecadiz.es 7 November 2013
Cadiz players go without pay
Bogdan Laba

Cadiz CF S.A.D. financial situation has worsened in recent weeks according to anonymous sources at the club. Florentino Manzano's holding company that controls the club has been unable to pay the wages of players, coaching staff and club staff.

Renovations to Estadio Ramon de Carranza is the main culprit. The club is estimated to owe over EU10 million, yet.

Cadiz joins much larger clubs like Valencia, Deportiva La Coruna, Racing Santander and Betis who have faced or are still facing financial crisis. Fellow El Segundo B4 competitors Albacete are also in financial straits.

Federal tax authorities confirmed that Cadiz are up-to-date on their taxes.

The club did not reply to requests for more information and would not comment on the situation.

Round 13: CP Arroyo v. Cadiz CF

Another away match, another Sunday bus ride. Arroyo de la Luz is in western Spain, west-southwest of Madrid by the Portugal border. The current cost-cutting measures at the club means we can't stay overnight on Saturday.

View attachment 441394

And yet another trip to a tiny ground. Estadio Municipal seats 3,000. No worries about breaking the window on somebody's apartment, though, unlike at El Palo. Thankfully, there's a proper changing room with modern toilets and working showers inside the athletic gym adjacent to the field. A 400km, 4 hour stinkfest all the way back home would've been too much.

View attachment 441390 View attachment 441392

Airam and Jorge Luque were both out. I decided that while Bruninho and Josete wouldn't be the most creative midfielders I could put out there, they'd at least be defensively solid.

D: Dalmau, Chara, Martins, Moises
M: Kike Lopez, Josete, Bruninho, Perico
F: Souda, Villar

Subs: Andres (D/M), Ceballos, (D), Belforti (D), Tomas (D/M), Kike Marques (M/F)

The two hundred or so dedicated Cadistas who'd made the long trip sang our song:

"Alcohol alcohol alcohol, we came here to get drunk and the result doesn't matter!"

and chanted:

"We can see Portugal from here."

We started off the match by giving away yet another early goal. Alejo had been talking about concentrating harder early in matches so we don't give away the early goal. Yet again, he was not happy. He actually looked rather purple.

They were passing the ball around in our half, nothing serious. They passed the ball into their striker Iban Espadas. Central defender Mikel Martins gave him the space so he turned. We weren't in any danger, yet as he was 30 meters from goal.

I knew we were in trouble as soon as their other forward, Gorka Pintado, made a run directly in front of Ricardo Chara, the other Cadiz central defender. Chara reacted late. Espadas played the ball into the path of Pintado, Pintado touched it once then smashed a 16 meter drive past Alejandro.

0-1

Was Chara just not watching? Had a pretty woman in the stands caught his eye?

It's like the boy for the Bologna youth side during my first season. He was never going to play professionally. But somebody had signed him to a youth contract for reasons beyond me. The sad part is there were boys in that system worse than him. Anyway, it was a morning match. He was standing at the far post on a corner. The corner came curling in, beat our defense, beat our keeper and bounced right past him into the goal. At halftime I asked him why he didn't put a foot out and stop the ball from going in. "The sun was in my eyes, Enrico," he said. "But but but the sun was behind you!" I spluttered. I'll never forget that incident.

At least the boys had a fighting spirit. They took the ball straight down from the ensuing kick-off and Kike Lopez won a corner.

Perico played a ball to the far post. Aymen Souda came storming in from a deep position, leapt and thundered a header past their flailing keeper.

1-1

I looked at Paco. He shrugged.

"I ****ing hate basketball," I said. He shrugged again.

We played well the rest of the half but couldn't conjure up another goal.

In the 18th minute, Perico who'd wandered inside fed the ball to Souza at the top of the box. Souza spun on his defender and zipped a shot just past the left post.

In the 22nd minute, Bruninho had the ball in our center cirlce and was facing our goal. Nobody yelled any instructions so he played it safe and hoofed it back to our keeper, Alejandro. Alejandro played it out to Moises on the left flank. Moises sent Perico running down the left wing with the ball. Then he picked out Villar's run into the box, passed the ball into his path, but Villar skied his shot high and wide from 10 meters.

We won another corner inthe 34th minute. Perico swung his corner right into the danger zone. After a mad scramble, the ball lands right in front of Bruninho. His shot is deflected but comes right back to him, he whiffs on his second attempt and sort of kind of shanks his third attempt. The ball wobbled through the air, over the Arroyo goalies head and bounces of the top of the crossbar.

We were creating the better chances and dominating possession so I told them at halftime that I thought we could win if we kept playing the way we had been. Alejo was crouched down talking with Chara and Martins. I presume about tracking runners.

We continued pressing in the second half.

In the 60th minute, Pintado had dropped back deep into the Arroyo end. He controlled a clearance out of the box, played the ball to a nearby midfielder. Pintado took off running at his full sprint. He's my age. He's not that fast, but nobody tracked his run. The midfielder with the ball played the ball up to the halfline where Pintado's attacking partner, Espadas was standing.

Espadas saw Pintado's run. Josete was watching the ball as Pintado sprinted past him. The Arroyo fans saw Pintado's run and stood up en masse. Chara backpedaled but didn't move over to cover Pintado's run. The Cadistas saw the run and stood up shouting and pointing.

But nobody in the Cadiz defense did.

Martins stepped up to challenge Espadas, but he gave Espada's time to turn and play the ball into the path of the hard-charging Pintado. Dalmau and Chara came charging over to stop him, but they weren't going to catch him. But 22 meters out Pintado slowed and chipped a high lob over the advancing Alejandro.

Everyone stood there and watched the ball float high in the air like a balloon. It slowly descended, bounced once and up into the top netting.

2-1

The Cadistas even stood and applauded. It was an audicious chip.

"Chara's gassed, yank him," Paco said into my ear. I nodded. Paco pointed at Belforti and he started warming up. The swap happened a few minutes later.

I checked my iPhone. Atletico Sevilla and Albacete were both leading their opponents.

Perico wasn't doing much useful in the second half, so I replaced him with Andres a few minutes later.

Villar wasn't doing much useful, either. So i got Kike Marques warming up.

On 68 minutes, there was another mad scramble in the goalmouth after a corner. Villar toe poked the ball goalwards. It hit the post.

That was Villar's last action of the match.

I checked my iPhone again. Now Lucena and Cartagena were both leading their opponents. If results stood we'd be in 5th place.

In the 78th minute, I thought we had it. Moises won a tackle to stop their counter and fed the ball to Bruninho. Bruninho spotted Souda open and played the ball in to his feet. He spun and beat his defender. His shot was blocked by a desperation tackle from the other central defender. The ball richoceted off his partner and fell to Souda.

The keeper was still diving to where the ball would have been. Souda had the whole net. Rather than simply pass it into the open net, Souda smashed the ball over the crossbar.

My face met my palm in an all too common gesture I've adopted since becoming manager of Cadiz.

I checked my iPhone again. Linense was now winning. We'd be tied with them with 22 points, but would still be in 5th on goal difference.

All credit to the players, they kept pressing for the equalizer.

In the 86th minute, Martins controlled a long clearance just on our side of the center circle. He jogged forward with the ball looking for options. Bruninho was still inside the penalty area. Josete was standing right next to an Arroyo midfielder and looked content to remain there. Martins spotted Souda coming toward him into the huge gap between the center circle and the top of the box. He lasered a 30 meter pass to Souda's feet. Souda spun and went round his defender. From 25 meters he unleashed a ankle-high tomahawk missile. The Arroyo keeper couldn't get down fast enough nor over fast enough to touch the shot. It bulged the side netting.

2-2

Alejo nearly knocked me over with a hug. Paco followed up, made it a group hug and the three of us tumbled to the turf shrieking like little school girls.

View attachment 441375 View attachment 441374

This is the kind of point that can matter later in the season.

Paco, Javi Garcia, Llorente, JVP, Alejo and I got to talking on the busride home.

"They must learned from their scouting reports that Moises is solid," Paco whispered. "Now they're trying to create gaps between our center backs and exploit those gaps."

Everyone nodded.

"We need to play more narrowly defensively," Alejo whispered. "It's the only way."

"I agree," Javi Garcia added. "Plus, I think Dalmau and Moises can get out to cover winger fast enough even if they are pulled in tighter."

We all nodded.

View attachment 441373

Last edited:
Alessandro Gaucci, Director of Football, strode out onto the training pitch. I was working with Javi Garcia on midfield tactics on the far end. Javi nudged me to indicate Alessandro was heading over straight to me. Everyone stopped and watched.

About 20 meters away, Alessandro winked. I waved everyone over. This was probably going to be good news.

"Good news, everyone," Alessandro began. "Our immediate financial problems have been resolved. We have deposited your pay into your accounts. Florentino sent me out here, first, to tell you this news, but also to tell you that he has taken measures so that this won't happen again. He wants me to tell you that he apologizes from the bottom of his heart as he bleeds yellow. He wanted to be here himself to tell you this and apologize, but he's in Madrid working out the final parts of a slight realigment of his assets so that won't happen again."

"Again, I want to emphasize that if anyone from the media contacts you, refer them to me or to Enrico," he concluded. "Thanks for your patience and understanding."

He pulled me aside as the players resumed their training.

"I've emailed talking points to you if Bodgan or anyone else wants you to talk about this," he said. I nodded and returned to working on midfield tactics with Javi.

I was eating lunch in the cafeteria when Zo sat down with me. Zosimo San Roman was my fitness trainer. He didn't look happy.

"Really sorry to disturb you, boss," he said. "Chara was lifting weights and hurt himself."

"Aw ****," I cursed. "How'd it happen?"

"He was doing flies."

In other words, he was lying on a bench using dumbbells. Sort like this:

View attachment 441354

"He said he felt something pop," Zo continued. "Michel has got his right pectoral muscle iced. He says that injuries like this usually heal in two or three weeks."

"Thanks for telling me immediately, Zo," I said.

A few minutes later, Michel emailed me.

View attachment 441353

This did not just descend into a Spanish version of Major League

"This is completely unreasonable!" I exclaimed as I barged into Alessandro's office. "I will not drive six hours and then play. Do you want to make the promotion play-offs? Is saving a few euros here and there worth sacrificing playing in Lega Adelante next season."

We played Albacete Sunday. This was one of our longest trips. Albacete are also leading El Segundo B4. This map will give you an idea:

View attachment 441259

"You think I have a choice in the matter?" he answered.

"You're killing our season, Alessandro!" I exclaimed. "Killing it. What?"

"Florentino and the board want save EU30,000 from the operation of the club over the rest of the season," he explained.

"Let me guess, you let Herc go and you're not paying for hot water for the showers?" I asked.

"You get the idea," he replied. "Herc will only be serving lunches. We changed bus companies."

"Let me guess, the buses won't have a working bathroom or air conditioning."

"You get the idea."

"Seriously? You're ****ing killing me. This is going to ****ing kill this season. Did you ever see the American baseball movie Major League? Charlie Sheen was in it. Owner wants the Cleveland Indians to finish last. They fly on a rickety airplane and take old buses and ****. This season is descending into farce. You might want to watch that movie so you know how I'm going to motivate my players."

"Are you done?" he asked.

"Why? Is there more?"

"Read your email," he stated firmly. "All the details are in the email."

Here's the list:
  • Wash your own training gear, no more laundry service at training ground
  • Cheaper bus company
  • Only lunch service at training ground
  • No more overnight hotel stays
  • Christmas party canceled

Last edited:
Round 14: Albacete Balompie v. Cadiz CF

It's November and cool so we didn't find out today if our bus's air conditioning was insufficient. It was a crappier, louder, older bus. And, yes, the bathroom didn't work.

We left at 9am for Albacete. Took 7 hours with the three bathroom breaks. We still had 4 hours until match time, but now we had nothing to do but play cards, wander the stadium or surf the internet on our phones.

The television people wanted an interview while the team was warming up.

Reporter: "Is the club's financial crisis affecting the players?"

Me: "No, we're a pretty tight group."

Reporter: "Have you been paid?"

Me: "Yes."

Reporter: "What's the significance of two clubs who've both spent time in La Liga, battling it out in El Segundo."

Me: "Well, both clubs have fallen on hard times. Andres Iniesta bailed out Albacete and Florentino Marzano took over Cadiz with the intent of returning us to La Liga. Obviously, I was still playing in Italy when these teams were last in La Liga so I can't really comment."

Reporter: "How do you see your chances today?"

Me: "We have to shut down Alex Sanchez."

Reporter: "Cadiz have played better away from home. Why and do you see that continuing today?"

Me: "Maybe we get nervous at home because we want to impress our fans. It's only a hunch. And I certainly hope we can play well today. It's a top of the table clash."

Reporter: "Any line-up tips you can give me?"

Me: "Yes, Jorge Luque is starting. He's recovered from his neck strain. Ricardo Chara is hurt, Jose Maria Belforti will replace him."

Reporter: "How big of a lose is Chara?"

Me: "I'm sure Jose will do well in his place."

Reporter: "That's Cadiz Supremo Enrico Pucci. Back you the studio."

With all the injuries (Mehdia Nafti, Ricardo Chara, Airam) and Aymen Souda on international duty with Tunisia, I had a limited selection.

D: Dalmau, Belforti, Martins (C), Moises
M: Andres, Bruninho, Luque, Perico
F: Kike Lopez, Villar

Subs: Angel Bernabe (GK), Ceballos (RB), Tomas (LB/LM), Josete (D/M), Kike Marques (M/F)

Not only had we driven all day, we'd then sat around getting bored. This was not a good combination.

It showed on how we started. They ran and passed circles around us.

In the 4th minute, their left winger Coco ran past Dalmau and passed to their striker Alex Sanchez (unrelated to the famous one who plays for Barca, but ...) who turned past Belforti and whizzed in a shot for the low, left corner. Alejandro did a great job to get down and block it, but the rebound popped out and sat their looking delicious. At least for Sanchez. Neither Dalmau or Belforti reacted. Alejandro manage to get up to his knees, but only managed to parry Sanchez's piledriver shot into the net.

0-1

And they continued to overrun us.

In the 24th minute, Alejandro made a great save from Sanchez again tipping the ball round the post. Mario Ortiz hit a low, near post corner. Coco tried to flick it in, but it was blocked. Sanchez pounced on the rebound and hammered it in to increase their lead.

0-2

I think we were still asleep on the bus.

We finally managed a shot in the 33rd minute.

Then Andres got hurt. I just wanted to get to half-time when I could replace Andres and yell at them to wake them up.

Then my Captain, Mikel Martins, tackled their other forward Antonio Calle from behind up near the center circle. WTF was he thinking. It was a brutal, vicious tackle. The ref had no choice but to red card Martins.

Yet again, my face met my palm.

Down a man, down by two goals. We were ****ed.

Josete replaced the injured Andres. Josete moved into the central defender spot Martins was in. Kike Lopez moved from forward to right wing.

As calmly as I could manage, I told them to show me something else in the second half. "At least win this half, eh?" I also told them to sit back, absorb the pressure and hit Albacete on the counter.

We soaked up pressure and occasionally counter-attacked. We'd finally woken up.

In the 50th minute, Perico took an outlet pass in our half, dribbled the entire length of the field with only a quick, little give-n-go with Luque and stormed into the penalty box. He saw Villar charging down for a far post header. He never got a chance to cross the ball. To my amazement, their fullback chopped his leg's out from under him.

Jorge Luque coolly dispatched the penalty.

2-1

We had hope. We'd also need some luck.

We got our luck in the 72nd minute. Moises relieved the pressure with a soft lob into space on the left side. Perico raced over and controlled the ball. With Albacete players closing, he played a ball up the left wing into the empty space their fullback had vacated to challenge Perico. Villar ran onto the ball and took off. He beat their central defender and glided into the penalty box.

His finish was sweeter than the sweetest Andalusian sherry: a blast into the far corner.

2-2

Paco and I just stood their mouth's agape. Missing so many key players, a man down, we'd just come back from two goals. The 200 or so Cadistas in the corner went ape****. Otherwise, the stadium was dead silent.

Jorge Luque was tiring. He was just back from a neck strain. However, he was the fulcrum of everything. I wanted to keep him out their as long as possible so we'd be able to get the ball out of our end occasionally, but I needed him the rest of the season as well.

Eventually I pulled him off in the 75th minute. I put Kike Marquez on, told him to play lone striker and have Villar move back into the Luque's spot.

What surprised me is how resolute our defending was for the last 15 minutes plus extra time. While the first have nearly gave Alejo a coronary, the way the match ended must give him hope.

Suddenly, the match is over and a reporter has shoved a mike in my face and I'm on TV again.

Reporter: "Enrico, Enrico. Would you comment on that comeback?"

Me: "Wow. What team spirit. Two down and down a man. What a great second half performance."

Reporter: "Did you think you'd pull it out after Connochioli cut down Perico?"

Me: "I would never count Los Submarino Amarillas out."

And they were gone, chasing after Jose Villar.

I told the players I was really pleased with their permformance in the 2nd half.

View attachment 441157 View attachment 441156

We were still fifth, but that's because nobody else had played. Tomorrow would be a nerve-wracking time watching the results roll in on my iPhone.

Up the Guadalquivir to Sevilla

Once we were on the bus, Ana Maria texted me asking if I'd like to take a boat ride up the Guadilquivir tomorrow (Sunday). She said the weatherman promised warm weather.

I looked around the bus. The team was happy, but exhausted. I thought about the luxury of having a whole day away from football. Well, not that far away as I'd be checking my phone for score updates.

"Listen up!" I yelled as I stood up at the front of the bus. "The girlfriend wants me to take a boat ride up the Guadilquivir. And I think I want a day away from your ugly faces." I waited for the laughter and retorts to die down. "So, sleep well you need the beauty sleep tonight so you can enjoy your day off."

The nice part about riding in a dilapidated bus is that it generates a lot of white noise which drowned out the card games going on in the back of the bus. Plus, my noise canceling headphones took care of the rest. I slept nearly the whole trip back.

And the Guadilvuivir is a gorgeous river. Dinner in Sevilla was splendid. Sevilla is beautiful and romantic at night. The bonus was Ana Maria dozing on my shoulder on the bus ride back to Cadiz -- now that's romantic.

View attachment 441133 View attachment 441134 View attachment 441132 View attachment 441131

And I had a day away from those ******* *******s. Ha.