Back to work

It was great to have a day away from "the office." I realize footballers don't have long hours, we're usually done by 1pm or 2pm on weekdays, but I'm usually in around 6am to 7am to run on the treadmill or hit the stationary bike. Then I do paperwork or prepare for the day's training. The coaching staff meets at 8:30am for coffee in the cafeteria to talk. The injured, veterans or anyone in need of a massage from the Physio starts arriving about now. Since it's Monday, yoga starts at 9am and training at 10am.

"Everyone have a nice day off?" I asked to start our meeting.

"How was Sevilla?" Javi Garcia asked.

"Nice."

We chatted about day's off for a few moments.

"We're in 6th place right now after yesterday's results," I said to pull the discussion back to football and Cadiz CF. "A loss and two draws in our last three ain't good. But two comebacks to ****** points is morale building. Let's make sure we're ready to take advantage of playing at home next Sunday."

"Michele says Airam is ready to return," Paco said. "And this gives us a selection problem."

"I took a look at the statistics," JVP added passing around a sheet he'd printed off. "We can't drop Villar. Souda and Airam are our ideal starting strikers, Perico is dangerous down the left. That leaves Kike Lopez on the right flank."

View attachment 440936

"Compare Villar's 5 goals to Kike's 1 goal and 4 assists," he continued. "But we've seen how much bigger of an impact Villar has when he's on his game. I suggest that we drop Kike for Villar."

We all nodded our agreement.

"How difficult will the Granada B's be?" I asked Chief Scout Jose Barla.

"They give up most of their goals from their right side, our left," Jose replied. "Perico should have a fun evening."

"I think they're most dangerous on their left flank, in other words, Albert Dalmau will need to be on top of it to shut down their left wing Migue," he continued. "It's not that they're bad down the right, but I think they're not as strong and Moises is developing into a pretty solid player."

"They play a 4-2-3-1 mostly and if we keep their striker Christian Bravo covered, we shut them down," Jose added.

"One last thing, I wasn't impressed with their keeper," Jose concluded. "He's good on high balls but isn't that great of a shot stopper. In particular he has trouble with really hard dipping, bouncing shots. Or at least he did yesterday."

"So let's focus on team cohesion this week," I said to conclude the meeting. "As always we'll train attacking set pieces on Saturday."

dariodecadiz.es 21 November 2013
Oli questions struggling Cadiz
Bogdan Laba

"This next match against Granada "B" is a must win," said Cadiz former fan favorite Oli said. Oliviero Jesus Alvarez Gonzalez played for Cadiz for three seasons from 2003 to 2006 scoring 21 goals in 106 matches. He led the club to La Liga promotion in 2005.

"It pains me to see the club struggling in the El Segundo," he said. "Los Submarino Amarillos fans deserve better.

Cadiz lie in sixth place in the league and are winless in three matches. Despite the poor run of form, they are still only a point out of the promotion places.

"I think Enrico Pucci and his staff can turn things around," Oli added. "But they'd better start picking up some points now rather than later."

The situation is looking up, though. Strikers Airam and Aymen Souda will be available for Sunday's match. Returning from a groin strain and U21 international duty with Tunisia respectively.

They are still without ball-winning midfielder Mehdi Nafti and defender Riccardo Chara who are out with long-term injuries.

"**** that guy!" I exclaimed as I sat down with my second espresso.

"He's more of a Oviedo man, if anything," said Paco as he re-read today's article in Dario de Cadiz.

View attachment 440911

"Didn't he manage Cadiz?" asked Llorente.

"Yeah, for like a day before they fired him," replied Javi Garcia.

"So he's sort of got a reason for putting down other managers when they struggle," JVP added. "And it's not like anyone has been beating down his door to resume managing. Didn't he get sacked as Betis "B" manager?"

View attachment 440910

"We're penniless and three matches without a win," Alejo said. "Why's he got to pile on."

"I hate that guy," I added.

Round 15: Cadiz CF v. Granada CF "B"

Oli's comments had a positive effect on the team. They were spitting mad. Training on Thursday, Friday and Saturday seemed extra focused and intense.

My line-up sheet looked like a pretty strong side:

GK: Alejandro
D: Dalmau, Belforti, Josete, Moises
M: Villar, Bruninho, Luque, Perico
F: Airam, Souda

Subs: Ceballos (RB), Tomas (LB/LM), Andres (D/M), Kike Lopez (M/F), Kike Marques (M/F)

For once we didn't get scored on first.

From the kick-off, Perico took the ball down the left and crossed. Souda's near post flick header hit the side netting.

From the goal kick, Josete won the header to Perico who took off once again down the left. Souda met his near post cross with a redirection volley that hit the side netting again.

Twice within a minute!

Perico won a corner in the 3rd minute. Jorge Luque's cross is disappointing. The first defender volleys it straight upfield. Josete does something interesting; he volleys the ball right back where it came from. Perico, who'd offered Luque a short option, leapt and headed it toward the penalty spot.

The Granada B defenders only stood and watched as Aymen Souda took three steps and met the cross with a thunderous volley. Their keeper had no chance.

1-0

Alejo, Paco and I cut our celebrations short and got the players attention as they made their way back for the restart. Our message was simple, 'Don't let your guard down, don't relax. Don't allow them to answer. Keep the pressure on them.'

They did. Mostly. When they didn't Alejandro stood tall.

In the 10th minute, the Granada Bs countered with Migue tearing down our right flank. He passed to Christian Bravo who gave it right back. Dalmau was beaten and Migue only had to beat Alejandro. Migue tried to tap it between Alejandro's legs, but he got a heel to it deflected it just wide.

In the 18th minute, Jorge Luque was pole-axed in the box by the Granada right back.

"PENALTY! PENALTY!" I screamed along with the six thousand Cadistas. Luque lay slumped in the box holding his ankle.

The ball continued rolling toward the byline, but Perico got there just in time to cross into the danger area in front of the goal. Souda's point blank shot hit their keeper. Their keeper jumped on top of the rebound. He then stood up and threw the ball out for a throw in so Luque could get medical attention.

"How was that not a penalty?" I asked the 4th official as politely as I could manage. "He didn't get any ball and my star midfielder is now injured. Please explain?"

"Watch yourself," the 4th official responded.

"What? Why? So did he get the ball? I just want an explanation!"

"Go sit down!"

Luque got up after the application of the magical sponge and some freeze spray. Michel signaled that he'd be fine. He didn't look fine; he hobbled around trying to 'walk it off.'

While Luque was still hobbling around, Moises controlled a clearance but was pressured and played the ball back to Alejandro. Alejandro gave it to Belfort who gave it to Villar who took off from the right sideline heading directly at goal. He beat a defender then played a ball across to where Luque would have been if he wasn't still hobbling around in the center circle. Perico had slid inside and one-timed a pass into the path of Villar who'd continued his run.

Villar unleashed a cannon trying to beat the keeper near post. Unfortunately, the Granada B keeper stood tall and beat the ball away for a corner.

We kept pressing and Granada B kept trying to catch us out on occasional counter attacks.

In the 32nd minute, Migue broke down our right flank. He easily beat Dalmau and sent in a near post cross for Bravo. Alejandro stepped out a step and Bravo's point blank redirect hit him. Bruninho cleared.

For every 4 or 5 chances we got, they got one.

I was worried about Luque. He wasn't moving very well. So in the 35th minute I replaced him with Kike Lopez. Villar moved into the center with Kike on the right.

In the 38th minute we gave ourselves some breathing space with a pretty decent version of tiki-taka football.

Kike Lopez took a throw in on the right and threw it Dalmau. Dalmau tapped it to Bruninho and moved up the line. Kike made an inside channel run clearly space for Dalmau behind him. Bruninho one-timed it back to Dalmau. Dalmau feinted going down the line, but played it back to Bruninho. The result of this activity was Granada, as a team, slid over to this side.

When Bruninho got the ball for the second time from Dalmau, he spun and quickly passed to Villar in the middle. Villar quickly moved the ball over to Moises on the left touch line who one-touched it up the line to Perico.

Perico got past the Granada B's right back and from 8 meters out smashed it through the keeper. Well, not literally, but the keeper got a hand on it not that it mattered.

2-0

The Granada Bs created two chances in a row just before the halftime whistle. Some of it was us. First they got a fast break and Alejandro might have made the save look harder than it was. But his mishit punt gave the ball to them in our half and one pass later Bravo was free in the box and teeing up a shot. Thankfully, Alejandro bailed himself out with a fingertip save.

During the break, I told the players they were doing great and to keep it up. I also told them to play on the counter and make sure we didn't give up a goal at the start of the second half.

Despite the orders to sit back and hit them on the counter, we gave away a great chance in the 49th minute. Migue beat Dalmau on the dribble again. Migue whipped in another dangerous near post cross. Bravo redirected it forcing Alejandro to make yet another great, point blank save.

After ten minutes camped in our half, I was sick of parking the bus. We weren't going to hold for 35 more minutes. I told the team to switch to standard approach. Attack, yes, but don't get caught out.

This had an immediate effect.

Josete won a tackle in our half and got it forward to Villar. Villar played it up to Souda. Souda spun his defender and his shot whistled past the left post.

In the 60th minute, Bravo caught Belforti ball-watching. Bravo slipped behind Belforti, the Granada midfielder with the ball spotted this and played the ball between Belforti and Josete. Thankfully, Bravo shot directly at Alejandro.

I replaced Perico with Andres at 65 minutes. Perico's fitness was nearly there, but I didn't want to risk it.

I just stood there and let Alejo scream himself purple. Alejo just said the same old things he'd been saying all season, but that did the trick. Their concentration was terrific from that point forward.

With three minutes to go, Kike Lopez won a corner. Andres spotted Bruninho free at the back post. He delivered a perfect pass and Bruninho's volley hit the defender marking the far post. Bruninho kicked it again. It hit the goalkeepers arm then hip and trickled in.

3-0

I replaced Moises with Tomas and that was it.

Linense lost and dropped to 6th. Lucena drew so Cadiz leapt to 4th.

View attachment 440747 View attachment 440748 View attachment 440746

Happy now, Oli?

Tapas

One of the things I've really come to like about Spain and Cadiz is tapas. No other country has a tradition like this. In most places, i.e., the non-touristy bars, if you order a beer or a glass of wine, they give you a little snack. Like balsamic vinegar soaked sardine one a tiny piece of toast. Or a slice of choriz or morcilla (blood sausage) on toast. They're endlessly inventive. And as long as I keep ordering, they keep providing me these delicious little snacks.

But you can do the math. I'm going to be pretty drunk pretty quick if I'm at all hungry.

Other places, you just step up to the bar and grab for what looks good. Usually, you need to both elbow your way quite aggressively to get near the bar all the while apologizing. The bartender or waiter just puts little scribbles on the your napkin and from this indecipherable chicken scratch, charges you for your drinks and tapas.

Either way, it's a pleasant way to spend a late afternoon into the early evening before having dinner. Because, like Italy, nobody eats before 9pm.

I only bring up tapas because nothing out of the ordinary happened this week.

Knock on wood, but we could be injury free soon; Mehdi Nafti could resume full training early next week. The team did yoga on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. We trained well all week. Next up is Lucena. They're 6th and we're 4th so it's a big away match. I got my shaves and conservations on Tuesday and Friday from Esteban. I met Ana Maria several times for tapas after her workday ended. We went out on Wednesday and Friday.

I sure as **** hope this isn't the lull before some kind of ****storm hits.

Round 16: Lucena CF v. Cadiz CF

Lucena is a mere 250km away and only about a 3 hour ride. It's December 1st so who cares if the bus doesn't have air conditioning. Lucena are on a dip in form: 2 losses and a tie in their last three matches, so we're hoping to kick them while they're down.

View attachment 440385

I picked the same side as played against the Granada Bs. Ricardo Chara is healthy again, but Jose Maria Belforti and Josete are doing the job in the center of defense.

D: Dalmau, Belforti, Josete, Moises
M: Villar, Bruninho, Luque, Perico
F: Airam, Souda

Subs: Chara (D), Tomas (LB/LM), Andres (D/M), Kike Lopez (M/F), Kike Marques (M/F)

Lucena's tiny little stadium was only half full for the visit of the mighty, all-conquering Los Submarinos Amarillos. I guess we're no Real or Barca. Or Sevilla. Or Betis. Or ...

View attachment 440384

Tonight the weather was a factor. The wind picked up and it began raining just before the ref started off the festivities.

We started well enough considering the bus ride and down time before we could start warming up. But the final pass wasn't there or if it was that critical first touch let us down. We kept possession well and created 3 chances for every 1 they created.

Finally, we broke through in the 31st minute. Moises took a throw in and threw it to Aymen Souda down the line. Souda passed it in and back to Perico. Perico dribbled into the box. As soon as he got in he shoulder-feinted to freeze the defender which gave him a chance to see what options he had. He dove for the end line, but pulled up about halfway there with another feint to give him a chance to look around. Then he went for the end line and hit a delicate little chip to Jorge Luque who was barreling in for the near post.

The chip was a bit tall for Luque, but he flicked it to the back post where Airam was making his run. Airam slammed home the header.

0-1

Alejo was immediately on his feet and reminding the players to not let their guard down after the restart. Not only did we not let our guard down, we kept the pressure up.

Despite our dominance, we went into the break only up by one.

I told them they were doing well, but were capable of even better. I told them I had faith that they'd score a few more if they kept playing as they were.

We didn't let up.

In the 48th minute, we increased our lead. Villar beat the Lucena left back like a rented mule and whipped in a near post cross. Airam controlled it with his back to goal. He had 3 defenders on his back so he played it back out to Villar. Villar lobbed a ball into the danger zone. Souda timed his jump perfectly and thumped his header off the inside of that near post and into the side netting.

0-2

Alejo didn't get up and remind the team to keep their guard up. Unfortunately, Lucena took the ball straight down the field and scored. I looked at Alejo. He had his head in his hands for a moment before leaping up to scream himself purple.

Here's how it happened: They played a ball into Moises' corner. He got beat to the ball, but since he's quick was able to recover. Unfortunately, he slid right past their right wing. The winger took the opportunity and crossed near post. Josete volleyed the ball but not very high nor very far. The Lucena midfielder intercepted his clearance and returned the ball to the right winger who had jogged into the box.

Josete, who must have considered his work done as he'd "cleared" the ball switched off for a second. He didn't notice their striker step in front of him nor did he react to the pass to the striker. Javi Gomez slid a pass under Alejandro to make a game of it.

1-2

It's obvious why Alejo sometimes loses his mind during our matches. He's just used to players who concentrate the whole game and can think the game better.

But fear not dear readers, we promptly restored our two goal cushion.

Villar beat his man for the umpteenth time down the right. This time the poor sap chopped Villar down with a late, cynical tackle. But the ref kept his cards in his pocket. As you've come to expect, I was screaming at the ref and badgering the fourth official.

Perico whipped in a far post cross. Airam rose and smashed his header directly into the chest of the defender guarding the far post. It ricocheted into the diving keeper then into the net.

1-3

It's Airam's goal, but they credited it as an own goal to the keeper.

"This isn't futbol, this is ****ing basketball," I said to Paco. Paco nodded. 3 goals inside 4 minutes.

Jorge Luque was looking spent and in the 60th minute I replaced him with Kike Lopez. Villar moved into the middle and Kike played on the right side of midfield.

In the 65th minute, I replaced Bruninho was was carrying a yellow card with Chara. Chara slotted into the center of defense and Josete moved up into the ball-winning midfield role.

In the 70th, I replaced Perico with the other Kike.

As the game opened up due to both teams tiring, we really started to take it to them. In the 84th minute, Kike Lopez received a pass from Dalmau out on the right. By this time their poor left back must've been feeling like a schoolboy playing against men. Kike took off down the line and easily avoided his tackle. It's not just that Villar and Kike had been beating him consistently all day, it was more like they would occasionally swat him aside when they even bothered to notice that he was there. He was having that bad of a day.

A central defender and midfielder sprinted over to cover. As they were converging, Kike whipped in a cross to the sweet spot. You know the one I'm talking about: just behind the retreating defenders; if they try to get a foot on it, chances are it'll be another own goal; yet too far away from the keeper for him to come out.

Souda slid for it and poked it past the keeper.

1-4

Lucena promptly took the ball down the field, played a pass between Chara and Moises and their right winger was in all alone. He scored. Moises was holding his head and screamed a few expletives we clearly heard on the bench. Chara knew he'd blown it too, but seemed indifferent as usual.

2-4

Before Alejo could leap off the bench, I put a hand on his shoulder and held him down. He looked at me with that baffled look of a coach that I know all too well.

"Put your head in your hands and your elbows on your knees," I suggested. "They'll wonder why you aren't out their turning purple. Then they'll see you on the bench."

He took my suggestion. It worked. They all noticed Alejo slumped in despair in his seat. I relayed their reactions to Alejo and we all tried not to laugh.

Aside from about 6 mental lapses defensively, of which 2 caused goals, we'd played really well against a team who have hope of making the promotion play-offs.

We remained in fourth, but Albacete lost to Cartagena and Atletico Sevilla drew. We were now only 3 points out of 1st.

View attachment 440381View attachment 440382 View attachment 440296

Last edited:
View attachment 440295
Here are some interesting stats to consider. We're the top-scoring team and, despite my constant moaning about our defense, one of the stingiest, too. All credit to Alejo Indias.

I make the team train attacking free kicks on the day before matches. The result is that we've scored 3 from indirect free kicks and 5 from corners. We're top scorers because of the pre-match focus.

Statistics also show that we're one of the dirtiest teams, too: 24 yellow cards. However, I give my players clear instructions so only 1 red card. If they play a 442, I set the tackling for their two strikers to hard. 4231 and their striker and central attacking midfielder get the special sauce. Furthermore, my ball-winning midfielder (Mehdi Nafti or Bruninho) tackle hard as well as both full-backs. If you look back through overviews of each match, my fullbacks pretty much always get a yellow card.

As soon as a player gets carded, I pause the game, go into the player tactics and set his tackling to "Ease Off Tackles."

The whole idea is that we tackle their key attacking players really hard. Since my players aren't all that skilled, they make up for it in sheer gusto.

Last edited:
Tormenta de Mierda

"Alessandro, good morning," I said answering my phone.

"Good morning, Enrico."

"Why do I have a bad feeling about this call?"

"We have an urgent board meeting this morning," Alessandro said. "Nothing to do with your performance. It's about our finances."

"It's getting worse?"

"Essentially, yes," he said. "Before you start swearing, I would like to say you are doing admirable work under these conditions, such as they are."

"Thanks, Alessandro," I replied. "I'm sorry I always end up swearing at you. Killing the messenger and all that."

"I know," he replied. "And thanks."

I called Paco. Informed him that I was headed to the boardroom in the stadium for more bad news about the club's finances. Asked him to start the training without me. Thankfully, the drive from my apartment to the stadium isn't far. In other words, I didn't have all that long to work myself into a lather of fear over what possibly might be about to go wrong.

I parked underground and took the elevator to the club tier where the boardroom was. I rode the elevator with Florentino Manzano's brother Antonio. We discussed the fine weather and yesterday's result.

I shook Florentino's hand, Alessandro's and the other board members as well. I winked at Margarita who was filling water glasses.

"Here's the bad news," Florentino began once we'd sat down. "We need to reduce the player wage bill. It's currently [he glances at the spreadsheet we'd all been handed] ... ah ... EU51,573 per week. We need to reduce it to EU40,000."

"The transfer window opens up in January and we need to lower salaries," he continued. "There are a number of high salary players that other clubs would want. Would you discuss which players you expect to be able to sell, Alessandro?"

"Kike Lopez, our top earner as well as Juan Villar, Perico and Airam have the highest salaries," Alessandro said. The second half of my season flashed by my eyes as the Cadiz B team filled the void left we go winless against all but the relegation candidates.

"Selling these four would reduce our weekly wages below 40,000 euros," he continued. A lump rose in my throat. In addition I was having trouble breathing. I reached for my water glass and with shaking hands took a swig like an alcoholic with the shakes taking his first morning drink.

"There are also some unwanted players I hope to move," Alessandro added. He wasn't able move them in the summer what had changed this winter?

"Additionally, there are peripheral players like Josete who makes 2,200 euros and don't deserve their high wage." he said. "This way we wouldn't have to sell all our key players."

"Let's be honest with each other, okay?" I said. "I drive an Alpha Romeo. They are finicky and break down a lot. Sadly, it's a great metaphor for my lief. What you've told me is you're going to sell my wheels and insist that I put on Renault wheels that you've got laying around the garage. Regardless of whether or not they even fit."

"We're a decent team offensively, but our defense would be bit part players on any of the other top teams in El Segundo," I continued. "I've built a strong team spirit but any sales will gut that spirit which is the only reason we're competitive."

"I have a few questions," I said. "Why will 10,000 euros in weekly salary or 40,000 monthly in savings matter when the real problem is the 500,000 plus we pay out each month for the stadium loan?"

"We want to show financial discipline to our creditors," Florentino replied.

"Does the ownership group have the ability to survive these astronomic monthly payments that last until the summer of 2015?"

"Yes."

"I know you understand football after what you achieved at Cartagena, but why are they willing to sacrifice promotion to Liga Adelante for a few spare pesos from the floor of my Alfa?"

"You don't understand corporate finance," Florentino replied.

"But I do understand stupid," I interrupted. "The stupid that sacrificing the future will reap future rewards. The stupidity of feigning fiscal discipline when you spent like drunken sailors on shore leave on this stadium. Why even bother? I understand the braindead rationale that minor savings that gut the organization's competitiveness will have a positive impact."

Let me tell you how this news went over with the players. Like a lead balloon. Like a steak at a vegan convention. Like a stripper strutting into church on a Sunday morning.

And the best part is they'd have this hanging over their heads for a month. How the **** was I going to motivate them.

"Enrico, my friend, how are ... what? Why the long face?" Esteban said as I entered his establishment for my Tuesday shave.

I just shook my head and sat in a chair while he finished with his current customer. Either Esteban had gotten quite good at reading me or my turmoil was playing across my face.

"Everybody out, give me a moment alone with Enrico," Esteban said to Roberto (the other barber), German, Rodrigo and Juanma.

"Be quick about it the fate of Cadiz Club de Futbol may hang in the balance," he exclaimed when they were slow to respond.

"Spill it, Enrico. What's going on?"

"Is it that obvious?"

Esteban just laughed.

"Here's the deal," I began. I told him about the board meeting yesterday morning. I told him of the team's reaction. I told him I'd tossed and turned all night.

"How long have you been a manager?" he asked rhetorically. "This hurricane of stupidity you describe is the fate of lower league managers. You do well, gain promotion, they fire you when you the team struggles to adjust. Or they fire you because you're no longer the latest fad. Or look at the top; look at Real Madrid. They've fired managers even though they won the league but they failed to win the Champion's League. Or vice versa."

"You have a point."

"Become a stoic monk who is bothered by nothing," he continued. "Let the stupid and the mean-spirited and the good and the bad wash over you. Otherwise, managing will be torture. Be like Gus Hiddink, the zen monk manager. Nothing bothers that guy."

"Now get in the ****ing chair so I can shave that fuzzy dome of yours."

And with that Esteban motioned for everyone else to reenter the barbershop.

dariodecadiz.es 4 December 2013
Cadiz to sell off stars to reduce wages
Bogdan Laba

The Italian-Swiss investment group that owns Catania, Perugia and Cadiz CF want the wages at Cadiz slashed. Sources inside the club indicate Chairman Florentino Manzano and Director of Football Alessandro Gaucci will sell sell off of players until the wage bill is EU40,000 per week.

Wages are currently over EU50,000.

Cadiz's financial crisis is as a result of rehabilitating the Ramon de Carranza. The club still owes approximately EU10m.

Top players Airam, Kike Lopez, Perico and Juan Villar are expected to be sold off to reduce wages. Cadiz won't get much in return as nearly all players' contracts end in June.

The club refused to comment for this story.

Hope the quick fire sale doesn't ruin your promotion push!

Gah! That sucks! Life just got real **** for you...

This promotion push is a tough one. Whenever we come up against a good striker, I don't have a central defender who's any good, and we give up goals. If I lose my best attacking players, we're screwed. Cadiz's only hope is to outscore opponents.

One thing is for sure, this is a compelling story of fighting against all odds.

Thanks for your comments!

The Major League solution

I rewatched the movie Major League. I needed inspiration on how to motivate my players. While there are some obvious differences:
  • we don't have a smoking hot owner; Cadiz is owned by a holding company
  • the owners don't want to move the team; they want to gut it
But there is a parallel between the voodoo-obsessed third baseman who couldn't hit a curve ball and us. Our curve ball isshutting down opposition strikers.

Oh, and the bus. We have the crappy bus like in Major League.

At training the next day, I told the players that the Italian-Swiss ownership group couldn't care less about our promotion chances. I told them they're more concerned about displaying "fiscal discipline" after spending money on a stadium rebuild like drunken sailors on shore leave.

"Are you going to let them break us?" I asked.

Round 17: Cadiz CF v. UD Mellila

The match against Mellila would be on TV and it was fan day. In other words, Margarita had done some advertising to promote the match. I had no idea she had a budget left for such things. Her efforts resulted in the Ramon de Carranza being a third full instead of a quarter full.

My captain, Mikel Martins, was banned from his red card from last week. Juan Villar seemed to be hot so, Kike Lopez sits. Mehdi Nafti is back training, but needs to build up his fitness.

D: Albert Dalmau, Jose Maria Belforti, Josete, Moises
M: Villar, Bruninho, Jorge Luque, Perico
F: Airam, Aymen Souda

Subs: Ricardo Chara, Andres, Nafti, Kike Lopez, Kike Marques

We started out cautiously and so did Mellila. Both teams worked hard defensively and neither team could string many passes together.

The first real highlight occurred in the 32nd minute. Perico had been fouled just over the half line on the left. Everyone jogged forward into their box for the free kick. Luque played it short to Dalmau. I have no idea why.

Dalmau jogged forward with the ball but never had any options. His teammates didn't help by standing in the box and waiting for him to do something. Instead, Mellila stole it off him and hit us on the counter.

Amau Tobella, their left midfielder, received the outlet pass, crossed the halfline and ran at our panicking defense. Alejandro bailed us out with a fabulous finger tip save and Villar cleared the ball out for a throw.

In the 34th minute, Dalmau played the ball inside to Luque who switched fields to Perico on the left. Perico spied Souda's run into the left challenge and played a perfect ball into his path. Souda took a second and then a third touch. Maybe he was looking for a late run option or for Airam to get open. By this point, his only option was a bad angle shot. He hit it straight into the opposing goalkeeper's stomach. Easy save.

In the 40th minute, Bruninho intercepted a pass at the halfline, gave it to Villar on the right wing. He hit a curling early cross into Souda. Souda hit a tame shot right into their keeper's gut.

At the break, I told the players to keep going. Mellila only had that one chance in the first half. I felt that a goal was coming.

In the 49th minute, Perico won a corner on the left. Luque's corner was poor, he was obviously tiring. Mellila had been giving him the special sauce all game. The cleared it back out to the left where Perico, who'd offered a short option was waiting. Instead of hoofing a ball back into the danger area, he sent a ball across the top of the box for Bruninho.

Bruninho shot straight into the keeper's arms from 25 meters.

Mellila brought the ball straight down the field. We were disorganized and the through ball into the path of their striker Migue Montes caught us out. Alejandro made a brilliant double save to keep the game goalless.

The game was starting to open up. Both sides were racing up and down the field.

In the 58th minute, Mellila won a corner. We cleared the danger and Villar grabbed the rebound and thumped a 50 meter punt into the right channel. Airam raced onto it, beat the defender and was in alone. Airam tried to sneak a toe poke between the keeper's legs, but he snared it.

I swapped Nafti for Bruninho in the 62nd minute. Mellila had been giving Souda the special sauce all game long and he was exhausted and beat up. So in the 65th minute, I replaced him with Kike Lopez, moved Villar up top so that Kike could play out on the right.

In the 66th minute, Mellila central midfielder David Vasquez unleashed a cruise missile of a shot from 30 meters. It left the crossbar vibrating. The ball rebounded right to the feet of their other forward Guille Roldan.

0-1

Rotten ****ing luck. The defense hadn't been playing half bad.

We just couldn't mount an attack that resulted in a good chance. Mellial weren't that good. We just couldn't pull it all together at the same time.

In the 81st minute, I pulled off an exhausted Luque. I brought on Andres. Perico moved up to forward. Villar back into the center of midfield.

In the 84th minute, we finally created a decent chance. Dalmau and Kike Lopez had a great interchange down the right flank resulting in a wicked cross into the feet of Airam. Sadly, Airam blasted over.

The entire stadium groaned.

In the 86th minute, Moises threw in to Villar who played the ball down the left to Andres. Andres had two men on him and played it back up the line to Moises. Moises sent the ball across the field to Nafti. Nafti spun and played a ball into the corner for Dalmau to run on to. Dalmau whipped in a cross which Airam smashed toward the upper right corner. Sadly, their keeper snared it.

The entire stadium groaned then applauded our effort.

In the 90th minute, Andres won a corner. While everyone ran forward, the 4th official signaled 2 extra minutes. Perico played the corner short to Andres. Yet again I have no idea why. Andres cross was cleared high but not that far out. Mellila's Vasquez (he of that earlier cruise missile shot) out-jumped Villar and headed the ball further upfield where Roldan headed it to Montes. Montes controlled the ball nicely and played a ball into our right channel. Their right midfielder Javier Modrego beat Moises to the ball.

Fortunately, Josete blocked the shot and the ball went out for a throw.

Villar then fouls Roldan when he received the throw in.

My face met my palm. I peeked through my fingers at the clock. 1 minute left. We would have one last desperation chance.

Thankfully, Mellila played a ball into the box instead of into the corner to waste time. Nafti headed clear and Josete hoofed the ball forward. Airam challenged for the ball and forced the Mellila defender to head out for a throw.

Everyone raced upfield.

Despite the urgency, Dalmau, Kike Lopez and Nafti dinked around with the ball, passing up several opportunities to boot the ball into the box.

FINALLY, Dalmau whipped in a nice cross, but they headed clear.

I took my eyes off the ball and watched the ref look at his watch and then put his whistle to his lips.

Why couldn't we play with this kind of urgency until the 80th minute? I guess it just wasn't our day. I told the players they were unlucky. I asked why they couldn't play the whole match like the last 10. I also told them we'd be running tomorrow to help them get over their poor work ethic and that we'd be playing a mid-week friendly with a local team to remind us what it is like to score.

View attachment 439582

We had double the chances they did, but when we did their keeper was a wall. Watching the results tomorrow wasn't going to be fun.

This story just got a whole lot more tense sir, and I must say, I am continuing to adore it! Fantastic job with the writing, let us hope that things get better on the field and off it though!

This story just got a whole lot more tense sir, and I must say, I am continuing to adore it! Fantastic job with the writing, let us hope that things get better on the field and off it though!

Dang it, you got me blushing again. Thank you very much, glad you're enjoying it.