The Alfa Romeo Metaphor

**** it what a disappointing result. Really loviing this story, so much depth and thought put into it. The personal life really gives it some feeling that I am reading your memoirs! Keep up the fabulous work. Also what Alfa are you driving?

diarodecadiz.es 23 December 2013
Cadiz Manager Slams Team
Bogdan Laba

View attachment 438764
Salvi wheels away in celebration after scoring Linense's second

Cadiz manager Enrico Pucci kept the players locked in the dressing room after their 2-0 defeat to Linense yesterday. According to young fullback Moises, he was furious with the team's performance and let them know in clear terms just how unhappy he was and what needed to improve.

Cadiz lie in sixth place, eight points behind leaders Albacete and two points out of the promotion play-off spots.

Pucci cannot be unhappy with the team's offensive performance overall. Despite Sunday's shut out, the team has put 43 goals past the opposition's defense. They are El Segundo B4's top scoring team.

Moises says that Pucci has set high standards for Los Submarino Amarillos defense as well. They are tied with Cartagena for the stingiest defense.

"We're just leaking goals at the worst times," Moises added. He pointed to the come from behind draws in October against La Hoya and La Roda as examples. "They're teams at the bottom that we should be beating."

Statistics show that when Los Submarino Amarillos lose, the opposition shuts them out. They've been shut out in three of the four losses this season.

Udinese loanee Ricardo Chara looked lost yesterday against Linense and hasn't looked comfortable the last few times he's played. He's sat out several matches recently.

"I can only hope that things get better from this point," Pucci responded to questions about Chara's form.

Despite the strong offensive showing and the stingy defense, Cadiz owners have apparently demanded a fire sale of the team's top players to reduce the wage bill. Sources have cited the loan payments for the redevelopment of the Ramon de Carranza as causing the club's financial crisis.

Last edited:
**** it what a disappointing result. Really loviing this story, so much depth and thought put into it. The personal life really gives it some feeling that I am reading your memoirs! Keep up the fabulous work. Also what Alfa are you driving?

Yeah, it's a disapointing result. When the team isn't built on a strong defense, this can happen. We're still in the promotion chase, though. That's what counts. Here's the stats of the 6 I'm willing to play in the back:

View attachment 438762View attachment 438761View attachment 438760
View attachment 438759View attachment 438758View attachment 438757

You can see why we have such a hard time defending. At the lower levels, you need defenders with high determination and decent tackling. For example, Belforti's tackling is 13, but he's weak-willed. Whereas, Moises isn't that great of a tackler, but he's fast and fairly determined. Martins isn't naturally a defender, but because of the weak-willed group I've got, he agreed to become a central defender.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the story.

I drive a 2005 Alfa Romeo GTV Spider. I bought it when I was playing for Bologna. It's only got 86k on it, but **** if it I didn't get an unreliable lemon. As long as I'm employed my mechanics love me as I'm always coming in to get something fixed.
View attachment 438756

Last edited:
Unlucky with the recent result mate, but your still in touching distance of the play offs and there's still lots of games to play.

Any news on the Brazilian defender on loan? :D

Welcome to Cadiz, Mom

Because of the loss and me yanking the day off for the 23rd, I couldn't meet my Mom at the airport. She flown from Washington, DC to Madrid then on to Cadiz. I told her to wait at her hotel and that I'd be over as soon as training was done. Through friends of Ana Maria's, I'd gotten her an oceanside room for a heck of a deal in a posh hotel in the old part of town.

I roared up in the Alfa, handed my keys to the valet and strode through the lobby and out to the veranda where my Mom had told me via text that she'd be waiting.

"Hi, Mom," I exclaimed as I walked up to her table.

"Oh honey, let me get a look at you," she said as she rose and hugged me. "I do like the shaven look. So very handsome. And your so tanned."

"Your flight was good? Room is nice?"

"Of course, Love. And the flowers are so very nice. What a hotel! You've chosen well."

"I'm glad you like it," I said sitting down. I hadn't seen my Mom since the spring when she'd visited me in Bologna. She seemed a tad more gray, had added another wrinkle or two, but as sprightly as ever.

"Will I get to meet her soon?" she asked leaning in as if to not embarrass me.

"She's on her way," I replied laughing. "I texted her as I was leaving. She should be here any minute."

It was going to be an interesting meeting as Mom didn't speak much of any Spanish and Ana Maria spoke no Italian or English. I'd be translator.

Mom caught me up on the latest family goings on and gossip while we waited.

"Ah, here she is, Mom," I said as Ana Maria walked over to the table. "Mom, Ana Maria. Ana Maria, Lissandra."

They hugged and we sat down. My Mom said in Italian that she was gorgeous. I translated the compliment and Ana Maria blushed.

The plan was that Mom and I would have Christmas Eve dinner at Ana Maria's. In case you're at all worried, the offensive younger brother had been sent to his grandparents near Malaga "to visit." The fallout from Meet the Parents was bad for him and good for me. Ana Maria had informed me that both her parents liked me and had been quite shocked by their sons behavior. So the pressure would be off aside from the pressure of being translator for my Mom. We'd attend mass afterwards at the Cathedral providing my Mom wasn't too jet lagged.

Since I had training every morning, Mom and I and sometimes Ana Maria would make day trips. When the three of us traveled, Ana Maria would drive. My Mom would be leaving next Sunday for Italy to visit family there.

Christmas Eve went well. Mom loved the tour of the city from Ana Maria. We went to Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba and the Rock of Gilbraltor. Ana Maria was with us except for The Rock. We took a bus for that as Ana Maria advised that parking is difficult.

I took my Mom around to meet Esteban. She and Ana Maria watched training one morning and met the coaching staff. The club was shut down for the week of Christmas so none of the other staff were around, but we met Margarita for drinks on the Sunday before Mom flew out for Italy.

Alessandro Gaucci 02 January 2014 6:59AM
I have a bad feeling about getting Ighort.
02 January 2014 7:00AM
Alessandro Gaucci 02 January 2014 7:03AM
I should have heard back by now.
02 January 2014 7:05AM
Alessandro Gaucci 02 January 2014 7:06AM
If Ighort doesn't come, here's the backup. What do you think?

View attachment 438675

02 January 2014 7:11AM
He looks promising. Get him if Ighort won't come.

dariodecadiz.es 04 January 2014
Star to miss Sanluqueno match
Bogdan Laba

Midfield maestro Jorge Luque is set to miss a month after his ankle gave out in training during the week. Atletico SanLuqueno won't have to worry about his sublime passing, long range shooting and late runs into the box tomorrow when they visit the Ramon de Carranza.

"Jose Villar will take his spot," said Cadiz Manager Enrico Pucci.

Villar has six goals and three assists. He has started 10 matches and come off the bench 7 other times.

Los Submarino Amarillas kick off the second half of the season facing the team they beat 3-1 to back in Round 1 in September. The only other absence will be Bruninho who is still out for about another week with a groin strain.

Despite rumors and sources inside the club insisting that a fire sale will happen in the January transfer window, Director of Football Alessandro Gaucci said no players will be sold.

Round 20: Cadiz CF v. Atletico Sanluqueno CF

Still no news from either Ighort or Fluminense. Alessandro is certain they have a deal brewing in which they'd receive money.

We beat Sanluqueno in our first match of the season 3-1. This time they were visiting the Ramon de Carranza.

Would we be ready to play after our winter break? While we hadn't played in two weeks, we had trained on every day but the two days off for Christmas.

GK: Alejandro
D: Albert Dalmau, Mikel Martins, Jose Maria Belforte, Moises
M: Kike Lopez, Mehdi Nafti, Jose Villar, Perico
F: Airam, Aymen Souda

Subs: Ricardo Chara (D), Josete (D/M), Tomas (D/M), Andres (D/M), Kike Marques (M/F)

The game got off to a hot start.

In the 2nd minute, Perico was tripped in the box. The ref waved off all our protests. I moaned at the ref and the 4th official for a while about the missed call.

In the fourth minute, Perico's corner was cleared out to Belforti. He controlled the ball and sent the ball back upfield to Souda. Souda whirled, beat a defender dribbles around the left side of the box and thumps a shot into the side netting.

All 2 weeks of work by Alejo Indias and me unraveled in the 18th minute. Their midfielder Guerrero played a ball up to their striker Nicolas Amerise. Belforti nipped in just as Amerise was trying to control the pass and poked the ball away. Amerise was quicker and got to the loose ball first. Instead of chasing Amerise, Belforti turned and headed back toward our goal.

Mikel Martins then stepped up to challenge Amerise leaving Robert open. Robert gratefully received the pass and slotted an easy finish past Alejandro.

0-1

Both Alejo and I facepalmed.

Sweet Jesus but we need a solid defender.

We immediately gave the ball back after the restart and the Sanluqueno players and bench were screaming for a penalty seconds later. I didn't see anything obvious. No, seriously. Not like Arsene Wenger. I actually had no idea what they were complaining about.

We eventually got our act together again and brought the ball down into the opposition's end. Dalmau and Kike Lopez tried several crosses, but they were all headed back out. Mehdi Nafti snagged the third clearance and passed across the top of the box to Villar. Villar shot high from 22 meters.

I got up off the bench and told the team to push up higher. We were giving them too much space.

It eventually paid off. We didn't give them time to play balls out of the back. When they did, they didn't have time in the midfield to pick out passes.

First in the 29th minute, Nafti won a tackle and played the ball back to Belforti. Belforti to Villar to Souda to Airam and Airam is in the box beating his defender. His shot whistled past the post.

Finally in the 33rd minute, we got our just desserts. Kike Lopez whipped in a cross. Atletico defender Polaco is on the wrong side of Airam and only comes up to Airam's shoulder. So Polaco wraps both arms around Airam to prevent him from jumping.

The ball sails past them, past everyone and out of the box. But I'm watching the ref. He points to the spot. We'd actually won a ****ing penalty.

I hadn't seen Airam miss a penalty in training all season including pre-season. He didn't now, either.

1-1

We kept up the pressure for the remainder of the half, but couldn't score thanks to our wayward shooting and the linesman.

Airam received a pass about 8 meters out directly in front of goal in the 41st minute. He was onside. I swear to you he was. But he was so open that I think the linesman just reflexively raise his flag. Polaco had completely lost his man. Airam had time to chest the ball down, look up and pass the ball by the Sanluqueno keeper. We should have gone into halftime leading. We should be leading 3-1.

I talked to both the ref and the linesman as they left the field.

I told the player's we'd been unlucky and to just keep at it and the goals would come.

They didn't.

The first 15 minutes of the second half was cagey and played in the middle of the park.

We created the first chance of the second half in the 60th minute. Dalmau and Kike had a great interchange down the right hand flank. Dalmau eventually plays the ball into the path of Airam. He beats Polaco, but Polaco does enough that Airam has a bad angle from which to shoot. His shot beats the keeper but trickles across the front of the goal. It eventually rolled out for a goal kick on the far side of the net.

We finally got our breakthroughin the 64th minute. Perico won a corner. He whipped in a ball to the sweet spot. The sweet spot is the closest spot to the goal where the goalkeeper won't come for it, but you have players crashing. Jose Villar started his run from beyond the penalty spot. He timed his jump perfectly. His header wasn't much of a header. It was more of a shoulder. But the ball looped over the keeper's outstretched hands of the top of a defenders head and into the goal.

2-1

The entire bench was hugging and jumping up and down. Eventually, everyone but Alejo took their seats. He was exhorting his defenders to protect that lead.

Poor Alejo. It wasn't to be.

They kept the ball in our half after the restart. Our defending was panicked and either Belforti or Martins were leaving their strikers open for chances.

The fact that they scored from some good fortune on a corner kick doesn't doesn't forgive our panicky and poor defending. It only says that Atletico were wasteful. Pina curled a ball to the back post. Alejandro back-pedaled, leaped but missed it. Martins had his man covered, leapt and headed the ball upfield. The problem was his header wasn't particularly high and it fell to Robert.

Robert had a nice channel through which to shoot, floating header dropping perfectly toward his favored right boot and a goalie laying on the ground at the far post.

2-2

We couldn't create another chance. They had two but couldn't convert.

I told them we were unlucky. It should have been 3-1 at halftime. I didn't remind them we were lucky that Sanluqueno wasted many good opportunities to break us but couldn't pull it all together in the final third.

View attachment 438667 View attachment 456610 View attachment 456613

Losing a lead always hurts. We remained 6th in the table.

diariodecadiz.es 6 January 2014
Fans disappointed with draw against Sanluquenos
Bogdan Laba

Cadista spokesman Alfonso Del Le Cerro Grande said that the hardcore fans in the south end are very disappointed with Cadiz CF's 2-2 draw with Atletico Sanluqueno. In particular, Grande pinpointed right back Albert Dalmau as the worst performer yesterday.

Cadiz were caught out with an 18th minute goal from Atletico captain Robert. Airam won and converted a penalty to even up the match in the 34th minute.

But it was referee Jose Figueroa Vasquez who played the largest role in the first half. Perico was brought down in the penalty box after just 2 minutes, but Figueroa Vasquez waved away claims. Sanluqueno wanted a penalty that would have given them a chance to go up 2-0 in the 20th minute, but Figueroa Vasquez saw nothing.

Cadiz manager Enrico Pucci was most aggrieved with the disallowed goal just before half time. Airam controlled a cross and slotted home, but was denied his celebration by the linesman's flag.

"We should have gone into the break leading 3-1," Pucci said.

The teams exchanged goals from corners in the second half in an otherwise dull second half. Altetico's Robert was man of the match.

"**** that ref!" Esteban exclaimed as I strolled into his shop for my Tuesday shave.

"Yeah, I know."

"I've seen some **** refs over the years, but that might top it," he continued to nods and agreement from Roberto and the man in his chair.

"Not much to do about it," I added. "How was your holidays?"

"They were good, really good," he replied. "It was great to meet your Mom and Ana Maria. Thanks for bringing them by. That Ana Maria, though, wow. You have found yourself a beauty, yes you have."

Roberto whistled.

"But once again we must discuss Los Submarino Amarillos defending," Esteban said as he lathered up my skull.

"Or lack thereof," Roberto added.

"No kidding," I agreed. "Alessandro and I are trying to bring in a Fluminense defender on loan."

"Sweet Mary Mother of Jesus we need one," Esteban exclaimed. "I have a good feeling about the upcoming Algeciras match."

"Oh, good," I said. "But when will I no longer be able to get a shave here?"

"You forget," he replied. "It's going to be both fortune telling and hair. At the same time if you wish."

OMG! Now I'm blushing again. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Someone started a story, unnamed at the time, about an Englishman who woke up from a blackout in Sweden. He signed a contract to play. I assumed that the next step would be the unhealthy manager kicking the bucket and our hero taking over. I haven't seen a chapter 2. Aside from that'n, I haven't seen anything else.

That would be my story ;) Christmas got in the way so I haven't updated in a little while but there are 3 or 4 chapters already :)

Round 21: Cadiz CF v Algeciras CF

Wellington Carvalho dos Santos is out of shape and jet-lagged, but I am hugely pleased to have him on the bench. He's tall, broad shouldered and, I pray to God, the answer to my defensive woes. Thanks be to God for affiliated clubs who will loan players for nothing as Cadiz are broker than broke.

We'd beaten Algeciras in September 4-1 in their ground and now they visit the Ramon de Carranza. Would our indifferent home form continue or would we finally put it together and start performing at home?

GK: Alejandro
D: Albert Dalmau, Mikel Martins (C), Jose Maria Belforti, Moises
M: Kike Lopez, Mehdi Nafti, Jose Villar, Perico
F: Airam, Aymen Souda

Subs: Wellington Carvalho (D), Josete (D/M), Andres (D/M), Tomas (D/M), Kike Marques (M/F)

What a great start! I sit down on the bench while Kike Lopez streaks down the right flank. He beats his man and hits a far post cross for a wide open Perico. He slammed the volley past their keeper from a fairly tight angle.

1-0

And we kept the pressure up.

In the 10th minute, their keeper parried an Airam blast behind for a corner. Perico turned provider for Mehdi Nafti. Nafti scored on a near post flick.

2-0

And it only got better.

Moises threw in to Souda in the left corner. Souda played it directly back to him. Moises hit a high curler. Airam timed his jump perfectly and smashed his header past their hopeless keeper.

3-0

At this point, I got Martins' attention and told them to don't over-commit offensively and to pressure higher up the field.

We promptly gave up a route one goal. The Algeciras keeper thumped a goal kick well over the half line. Belforti mis-headed and the ball went sideways to their Melchior. He beat Martins on the dribble and thumped a pile driver past Alejandro.

3-1

In the 26th minute, Nafti played a square ball to Villar. Villar to Kike who charge at his defender. He slipped past him like a matador, took one more touch and hesitated just a second before unleashing his shot. The keeper went down early and lucky for us. Kike's shot would have hit the keeper in the chest, but since he'd gone down, he was only able to reach up a hand which was insufficient to keep out Kike's thunderbolt.

4-1

As expected, we gave another goal just before halftime.

Scottish import Ryan Harper heaved a long throw in to Melchior who was just inside the box. Melchior played the ball back to Harper. Harper whipped a cross back in to Melchior. Despite both Martins and Belforti correctly positioned, they couldn't deal with it.

You've probably seen a group of U8s all packed around the ball, all kicking frenetically at the ball. Normally, the ball doesn't move much inside of the circle of kids until suddenly it pops out. That's what the scrum between Martins, Belforti and Melchior looked like. Sadly for Martins he booted it against Melchior's shins and it popped past Alejandro and into the goal.

4-2

Alejo and I both facepalmed.

At halftime I told them they were playing well and to keep it up. Most importantly, I replaced Belforti with Wellington Carvalhos.

That did the trick. The second half was fairly dull ... at least from my perspective. They only had one decent chance and it was in the 77th minute after we'd iced the match.

Juan Villar scored in the 60th and Souda scored in the 69th.

Wellington didn't do all that much, but then again, that's what I want in a defender.

The Cadistas serenaded our new signing with the following song as the game wore down:
Wellington you play boring, we like boring, thanks for moving to Spain

I told them afterwards that I was very happy that they'd pulled it all together and played like we should.

View attachment 438453 View attachment 438469 View attachment 438468

We were 4th in the table and back in the promotion play-off chase because Linense and Arroyo both tied.

Last edited:
Enjoying this a lot, still. It's an excellent read; it flows really well and there's a great connection between the characters and readers (me personally, and undoubtedly others...)

One thing, you've uploaded the match information in your latest update from the game before - just letting you know buddy. Looking forward to more!

Enjoying this a lot, still. It's an excellent read; it flows really well and there's a great connection between the characters and readers (me personally, and undoubtedly others...)

One thing, you've uploaded the match information in your latest update from the game before - just letting you know buddy. Looking forward to more!

Great eye and thank you very much. It has the correct match info now.

Back