The Arsenal FM15 Discussion Thread

craiigman

Reaction score
In a similar fashion to MANUMAD's Man Utd thread, thought it was worth doing an Arsenal one. Arsenal are a great starting team in this years FM for the following reasons:

Big transfer budget. You get £47m for just choosing the qualify for champions league option. This can go up to £61m for winning the league.

Young, talented squad. You have a strong core to start with. Szczesny in goal, Koscielny and Mertesacker at the back, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, and Ozil as midfield options, Chamberlain, Sanchez, and Walcott as width, and Giroud and Welbeck up top. A few decent youth players in Gnabry, Zelalem, and Crowley too.

But the squad is not complete. Lacking in defenders and a good DM. But you have the money to spend and completing the squad should be quite straight forward. You also have enough to even look at better replacements for weaker positions. As much as I love Gibbs, he rarely performs on FM.

Another good thing to note. Lots of the under 21's contracts run out at the end of the first season. Dead weight gone after one season is good! So you'll be able to build your own under 21 squad in a short period of time.

Tactics

You have a number of options with the Arsenal squad as is. The main ones would be:

433 (41221)

I think personally to fit the best players into the squad it'll likely be a 4231. But each to their own, sometimes picking the best players doesn't create the best balance.

Just from my own opinion, players worth selling:

Flamini - You can get £5m for him, Everton
Campbell - You can get around £7m for him, Monaco
Podolski - I haven't tried selling him yet, but high wages so maybe worth trying. But I hear the other Germans get upset if you try to sell him, so be careful with this one!

Then if you want I'd say Arteta and Monreal could be replaced. Won't get much for Arteta, but seen Monreal go for around £7m.

Players in:

Lucas Romero - DM. Can get for about £7m
Eder Balanta - CB. Can get for around £6m-£7m

Those two for less than £15m is really good business IMO. Especially at Arsenal. Gives cover in the two areas where cover is needed.

Sami Khedira - DM. Can get for around £20m. Adds that quality ball winner that the squad is lacking.

So that's about £35m spent and you still have some left. I managed to pick up Depay for £12m, which was a steal.

So to summarise: Good starting squad with a good transfer budget. Only a few players needed to complete the squad.

Khedira is only 17 million. He was one of my best FM signings of all time. Balanta is a must buy as a backup. Flamini should be replaced with Romero. Arsenal have so much attacking talent that I do not recommend Reus. Oxlade-Chamberlain has surpassed him as a 4 star player season 2 and he left due to a lack of first team footie.

I'd take someone like Wanyama , The Benders or even William Carvalho over Khedira for a holding role and Laporte over Balanta..

Edit. I would buy Khedira anyway he's absolutely fantastic as a Box to Box

Gastón Gil Romero is a beast Midfielder ...i always sign him

So far first season pre season I sold:

Monreal for 15 million USD.
Coquelin for 6 million USD.
Rosicky for 3 million USD.

IN so far:

Balanta
Sven Bender
Howedes
Depay
(Lucas Romero but loaned him back to his club for a year)

Dele Alli is honestly a great buy, home-grown and has some wonderful mental stats.

Hay. Im always arsenal too,as they are my team. Im looking for a cb and a dm. I know balanta is awesome,but had him last year and laporte is to expensive. Im always looking for that vieira type player. Someone who can head,tackle,and thunder through the middle,but im stumped! Carvalho is good,but his tackling is awful! I like lars bender,but hes too obvious.

I don't like buying the obvious ones too or the same players always,
so when I get started, i won't look at the benders, khedira or balanta...

currently sitting 1st after 8 games, 4 won 4 drawn. Sold Coquelin and let sanogo join Wolves, only signing Sokratis Papastathapolous (or however you spell it!). He has been incredible, playing with BFG as cover and Sokratis and stopper with his 18 pace and 18 tackling, my defence is really starting to solidify. got him for 11m too! tried to avoid signing the obvious Khedira/Balanta,

playing 4231 with gibbs as attacking wing back focussing play down the left flank. Cazorla tucking in as IF to help with possession game, and Sanchez exploiting the space left on the right wing. So far have found giroud to be more effective than Welbeck. Ramsey as B2B and Arteta as left DLP on defend.

Don't think any january signings will be necessary, walcott is soon to be back and I'm going to do a wenger and try and persist withough buying the obvious CDM! Flaminis mental aren't too bad, and Sokrates' pace as a stopper almost acts as an unorthodox cdm

Last edited:
I haven't started a game yet but was wondering if you guys could give me some advice :)

First to adress the LW in the 4231 I want to play. I've decided that I will sell Cazorla and Poldi so I want to bring in 2 players to play predominantly on the left (1 starter and 1 backup). For the starter I'm deciding between going in for Depay or Reus? Normally I'd go Reus but from what I've heard Depay is an abolute monster in this game and will certainly be cheaper in wages and transfer fee, but I was wondering what you guys think? :) Also for the backup I was weighing up Yarmolenko and Andre Ayew (who are both relatively cheap) and want to know who you guys consider the better player?

Also there's the issue of balancing out Ramsey and Wilshere in the same team, but it seems there's only space for one of them as I really don't see how they'll both fit! I guess I will have to rotate them but if you guys have managed to play them together in this formation I'd really like to know how you have done it :) As a side note, what do you guys think of training Wilshere as a Roaming Playmaker? That's exactly what he is IRL, and seeing his attributes it looks like he could be trained to do quite well there :)

Thanks so much guys, your opinions will be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Welbeck got 21 in 25 games for me in 1st season as a CF. Give Ox games and he'll be brilliant in my 2nd season he's worth 27 millipn

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I haven't started a game yet but was wondering if you guys could give me some advice :)

First to adress the LW in the 4231 I want to play. I've decided that I will sell Cazorla and Poldi so I want to bring in 2 players to play predominantly on the left (1 starter and 1 backup). For the starter I'm deciding between going in for Depay or Reus? Normally I'd go Reus but from what I've heard Depay is an abolute monster in this game and will certainly be cheaper in wages and transfer fee, but I was wondering what you guys think? :) Also for the backup I was weighing up Yarmolenko and Andre Ayew (who are both relatively cheap) and want to know who you guys consider the better player?

Also there's the issue of balancing out Ramsey and Wilshere in the same team, but it seems there's only space for one of them as I really don't see how they'll both fit! I guess I will have to rotate them but if you guys have managed to play them together in this formation I'd really like to know how you have done it :) As a side note, what do you guys think of training Wilshere as a Roaming Playmaker? That's exactly what he is IRL, and seeing his attributes it looks like he could be trained to do quite well there :)

Thanks so much guys, your opinions will be greatly appreciated :)

I sold Podolski, his finishing is very good however his technicals really lack, and if you're trying to play neat football just like Arsenal in real life, it best to cash in. He has £100,000 a week wages too, and considering his is not first team quality its ridiculous to have him sitting on such wages. I sold him to Liverpool for 3m upfront and 8m over 48 months :) (Originally was planning on going to Monaco but he wanted compensation!)

As for Yarmolenko v Ayew, I haven't used either so I cannot really help you there, although I know Ayew's contract expires in 2015 so maybe he would be available at a cut price?

Personally i played 4231 with Ramsey as B2B and Wilshere as RP, and It worked brilliantly for me. Very attacking, and makes for very exiting games. Due to Ramsey better defensive stats, it makes more sense to give him more defensive responsibility hence being a B2B. As for Wilshere... wow. If anyone was made for RP then it was him, his runs from midfield combined with his workmate/vision was unbelievable for me!

Just incase you were wondering I played a 4231...

Gk: Szcesny
RB: Debuchy (FB-S)
CB:Mert
CB: Kos
LB: Gibbs (WB-A)

CM: Ramsey (B2B)
CM: Wilshere (RP)

LAM: Cazorla (IF-S)
CAM: Ozil (AP-S)
RAM: Sanchez (W-A)

ST: Giroud (CF)..... (Despite his recondition to play as a TM, I played a short passing game and a TM didn't fit).
(When Welbeck played i felt he did better as an AF due to his pace and better workrate)

I've been struggling so far with Arsenal. Bought Balanta and Papasthopolous (didn't need to buy both but I like having a really deep defense as they always seem to get injured for me) and Wanyama. Been trying a few formations and 4-2-3-1 does seem like the best, my one good win so far was a 4-1 at home over Chelsea with it.

Besides that I've been losing to bad teams and generally struggling. I'm going to try some of the suggestions here though, mainly with Wilshere and Ramsey as I've been having trouble figuring out how to use them

has anyone been able to get Ozil to perform? The guy has been terrible for me this season!!

Also, i have sustained 40 injuries during matches. The team is made of paper haha

Make that 42!! Sanchez and Welbeck just got killed within 20 minutes

Last edited:
For me Ozil seems to be good every other game. I mainly was playing him as an Enganche as an AMC. One game he'll get 2 assists, the next game 6.4 rating. Pretty realistic if you look at what he does in real life

Also what captains has everyone been using? There aren't really any great options have you just been sticking with Arteta? Him and Mertesacker seem like the only decent choices but neither seem ideal

I won the Premier League in my 1st season with Arsenal (which i was massively surprised at) playing a formation I havnt ever used before on any FM. Played 3-4-3.

GK - Szczesny

CB - Sokratis (cover)
CB - Koscielny (stopper)
CB - Balanta (cover)

RM - Chaimberlain (WM support)
CM - Ramsey (AP support)
CM - Wilshere (DLP defend)
LM - Yarmolenko (WM support)

RF - Sanchez/Walcott (AF attack)
CF - Welbeck/Barbosa (poacher attack)
LF - Depay (AF attack)

Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck, Barbosa, Yarmolenko all got between 10/15 goals (in all comps) and Memphis Depay scored 29 just in the league and was European Golden Boot winner. About 10 of them were due to my corner routine but he just kept coming inside and smashing them in. Was only £12m as well.

However i got destroyed 1-7 away to Real Madrid in 2nd leg of UCL, after a 4-4 home draw. A bit of tinkering is needed for European games.

Sold Ozil, Podolski, Mertesacker, Debuchy, Gibbs and Giroud to bring a lot of money in. Starting second season now with £75m budget to improve the squad.

Depay is a must buy.

I signed Umtiti (7.5m), Hahn (2.1m), Fernando (15m from Shakhtar, not Man City), Munir (10m) and Oviedo (5m). Sold Cazorla (16.25m), Campbell (9m), Podolski (8.75m), Walcott (20m) and Monreal (7m) - so overall made a profit. I played a 4-2-3-1 but with 1 DM and 1 CM, so I guess it's 4-1-1-3-1:

GK: Szczesny

DL: Oviedo (WB Attack)
DC: Koscielny (Defend)
DC: Umtiti (Cover)
DR: Debuchy/Chambers (FB Support)

DM: Fernando (DLP Defend)
CM: Ramsey (RPM)

AML: Ozil (AP Support)
AMC: Sanchez (SS)
AMR: Hahn (W Attack)

ST: Welbeck (F9)

I come 2nd in the league but won the champions league which was a nice surprise, with Sanchez and Hahn most impressive players, Sanchez with 21 goals and 17 assists in 40 appearances.

Jack & Aaron

Alfa, I think the only way to play both Wilshere & Ramsey is to play a traditional 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 (any formation where there's another CM to cover).

I'd personally have:

Wilshere (DLP)...............Ramsey (BBM)
..................Khedira (BWM)................

That seems the most obvious formula to work, however I haven't tried it on FM15 yet...

Hope this helps!

Last edited: