The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Yann M'Vila isn't worth £30m, but then Nasri isn't worth £25m either.

The transfer market's so inflated, especially that late on. Wenger should have admitted defeat or held on to Cesc (and I mean, held on) and bought a replacement early.

He probably could've got Gourcuff or Hazard for relatively cheap if he'd done that. Still, you have quite a strong squad this season and should do fairly well.

Completely different - firstly, everyone knows how oil-rich City are; they get ripped off by everyone and anyone ;)

Secondly, Nasri > M'Vila.

Thirdly, no chance we could have held onto Cesc this year tbh. He clearly wanted to move more than ever and we had to let him go. It's not our fault that he left so late - it is our fault that our last 6 years meant we basically had to bend down and take it up the **** from Barca, who were in a strong position. We didn't know whether they'd make the right bid or not, so we didn't sign a replacement until we were sure he was gone. We should have lined someone up though.

And no, we couldn't have got Gourcuff (who's just come back from injury and is out of form anyway) or Hazard cheap. Lille were never likely to sell Hazard unless someone came in with a ridiculously good offer - 30m+ and Lyon sold Pjanic so weren't going to let Gourcuff go in any case.

Completely different - firstly, everyone knows how oil-rich City are; they get ripped off by everyone and anyone ;)

Secondly, Nasri > M'Vila.

Thirdly, no chance we could have held onto Cesc this year tbh. He clearly wanted to move more than ever and we had to let him go. It's not our fault that he left so late - it is our fault that our last 6 years meant we basically had to bend down and take it up the **** from Barca, who were in a strong position. We didn't know whether they'd make the right bid or not, so we didn't sign a replacement until we were sure he was gone. We should have lined someone up though.

And no, we couldn't have got Gourcuff (who's just come back from injury and is out of form anyway) or Hazard cheap. Lille were never likely to sell Hazard unless someone came in with a ridiculously good offer - 30m+ and Lyon sold Pjanic so weren't going to let Gourcuff go in any case.

M'Vila > Nasri when deeper. :)

First of all before i say this im not here to look for an argument im just saying something i know thats all. My goalkeeper went to school with Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and is still good mates with him. They were talking the other day and it seems he is finding it pretty hard at Arsenal at the moment. Apparently he isent dosent like the training at Arsenal as it is so different and focused way too much on fitness rather than with the ball. He is also unhappy that his dad is keeping most of his money away from him which is something i personly agree with as the lad is only young but all is not well at the moment.

Not surprising at all. Its always going to be a huge step up n all accounts, for the top sides fitness is vital to the way they play, particularly Arsenal and Manchester United. He may not like it now but it will hugely benefit him in the future

First of all before i say this im not here to look for an argument im just saying something i know thats all. My goalkeeper went to school with Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and is still good mates with him. They were talking the other day and it seems he is finding it pretty hard at Arsenal at the moment. Apparently he isent dosent like the training at Arsenal as it is so different and focused way too much on fitness rather than with the ball. He is also unhappy that his dad is keeping most of his money away from him which is something i personly agree with as the lad is only young but all is not well at the moment.

Seemed to be doing OK for England U21s the other day... I've got to be honest; I doubt there's much (unexaggerated) truth in that, but even if there is, I'm not particularly distressed. Players take time to settle wherever they are, and I'm sure Wenger and co. can put him back on the right path if he's got any problems.

Seems very grounded in interviews IMO but maybe you're right.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

M'Vila > Nasri when deeper. :)

True, but I'm talking general value. Nasri was worth more to City than M'Vila was to us - especially since we clearly had 2 or 3 other options while City focused all their efforts on signing Nasri (after other deals were done for Aguero etc.)

Seemed to be doing OK for England U21s the other day... I've got to be honest; I doubt there's much (unexaggerated) truth in that, but even if there is, I'm not particularly distressed. Players take time to settle wherever they are, and I'm sure Wenger and co. can put him back on the right path if he's got any problems.

Seems very grounded in interviews IMO but maybe you're right.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

True, but I'm talking general value. Nasri was worth more to City than M'Vila was to us - especially since we clearly had 2 or 3 other options while City focused all their efforts on signing Nasri (after other deals were done for Aguero etc.)

Hes been there a month? Meh, it was always going to a big step up. Perhaps he had a rose tinted view of what it would be like

True, £30m is a bit steep - maybe it'll materialise in the future when it's not deadline day, he'd be a fantastic signing, already being said as the glue holding the French team together at 21,

But Barcelona don't have this problem

The style of teams competing in La Liga don't cause them the same amount of injuries and they face Barcelona with a cautious approach in 95% of their matches. Also the teams in PL sometimes intend to hard tackle Arsenal players (i.e Stoke)

wtf, wenger ban appeal failed :(

now misses matches against Dortmund (a) and olyimpacos (h)

It's not a big problem, in fact I'm more optimistic about the games that AW miss lol, best example is Tottenham away match in Carling Cup last season

True, £30m is a bit steep - maybe it'll materialise in the future when it's not deadline day, he'd be a fantastic signing, already being said as the glue holding the French team together at 21,

I doubt Wenger will return for M'vila if Arteta plays well in the AMC role and Wilshere returns to his old DMC position alongside Song after he comes back from injury. But like you said, he would be a good signing (not taking transfer fee into account here).

The style of teams competing in La Liga don't cause them the same amount of injuries and they face Barcelona with a cautious approach in 95% of their matches. Also the teams in PL sometimes intend to hard tackle Arsenal players (i.e Stoke)

It's not a big problem, in fact I'm more optimistic about the games that AW miss lol, best example is Tottenham away match in Carling Cup last season

Eh? Why wasn't Wenger in charge for that game?

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

I doubt Wenger will return for M'vila if Arteta plays well in the AMC role and Wilshere returns to his old DMC position alongside Song after he comes back from injury. But like you said, he would be a good signing (not taking transfer fee into account here).

Well Wilshere wasn't playing DM, and that's not where M'Vila would play either. I can't see us going back for M'Vila tbph. Certainly not any time soon unless Wenger wants to rotate him and Wilshere in the deeper role, and Ramsey, Rosicky and Arteta for the more advanced role.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Well Wilshere wasn't playing DM, and that's not where M'Vila would play either. I can't see us going back for M'Vila tbph. Certainly not any time soon unless Wenger wants to rotate him and Wilshere in the deeper role, and Ramsey, Rosicky and Arteta for the more advanced role.

But surely a full-fledged French international and an England international wouldn't accept rotation roles even if we did sign M'vila?

Last edited:

Because he criticized ref Martin Atkinson or something I think, handed one touchline ban + £8,000 fine

Edit: Remembered the reason, he had the touchline ban because of Sunderland away game after the ref added 4 min. injury time and Darren Bent scored the equalizer at the 5th min.

Last edited:
But surely a full-fledged French international and an England international wouldn't accept rotation roles even if we did sign M'vila?

Rotation is a part of modern football.

Why not go back for him? He's 21 with enormous potential. Arteta is 29, Rosicky is soon 31, Benayoun is temporary. He's an outstanding player who could add quality depth to your team now, and could be key in a few seasons.

Back