The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Arsenal physios are like FM physios - you start the season with half of your first XI dead or wounded.

Agreed, something is definitely wrong, with the high number of similar injuries, and recurring injuries, especially when they are just about to recover.

Tbf - Jack exerted himself too much rather than being pushed by the physios. I proposed this question to twitter, though - some interesting responses:

AAllenSport Andrew Allen @

@JossBennett I think it's hard to point blame at the medical team, footballers play so much so young its a strain on their bodies.

@JossBennett It's a tough gig being part of a medical team. I dare say fans of other clubs feel the same way about their own.

Suuwassa Suuwassa @

@JossBennett fairly sure the dramatic rise in injuries coincided with Gary [Lewin] leaving.

LittleDutchVA Tim Stillman

My own completely ill informed, in no way evidenced or backed up theory as to why we get so many injuries. (Strap yourself in).

Arsenal are, conversely, one of the fitter teams in the Premier League. This is why we score so many late goals. We keep trucking for 90mins

But the more finely tuned something is- be it a car, a string, whatever- the more susceptible it is to go 'ping.'

Tbf - Jack exerted himself too much rather than being pushed by the physios. I proposed this question to twitter, though - some interesting responses:

AAllenSport Andrew Allen @

@JossBennett I think it's hard to point blame at the medical team, footballers play so much so young its a strain on their bodies.

@JossBennett It's a tough gig being part of a medical team. I dare say fans of other clubs feel the same way about their own.

Suuwassa Suuwassa @

@JossBennett fairly sure the dramatic rise in injuries coincided with Gary [Lewin] leaving.

LittleDutchVA Tim Stillman

My own completely ill informed, in no way evidenced or backed up theory as to why we get so many injuries. (Strap yourself in).

Arsenal are, conversely, one of the fitter teams in the Premier League. This is why we score so many late goals. We keep trucking for 90mins

But the more finely tuned something is- be it a car, a string, whatever- the more susceptible it is to go 'ping.'

But you could say the same of united, and while we have our injuries problems at times, its certainly not on the consistent and recurring level of arsenal. Im not saying its the fault of the medical team, it could be the training regimes or something else, but i do think it raises questions

But you could say the same of united, and while we have our injuries problems at times, its certainly not on the consistent and recurring level of arsenal. Im not saying its the fault of the medical team, it could be the training regimes or something else, but i do think it raises questions

And United can get away with it, thanks to their far larger and better quality squad.

And United can get away with it, thanks to their far larger and better quality squad.
This is true, but it just seems so relentless with Arsenal. Either way its always disappointing to see them consistently struck down

The expansive football that Arsenal play has an effect too and it is one of the main reasons for injuries in certain positions (LB - RB - midfield - wingers)

The expansive football that Arsenal play has an effect too and it is one of the main reasons for injuries in certain positions (LB - RB - midfield - wingers)

Possibly... you'd assume a more aggressive, physical team would get MORE injuries though, rather than less compared to Arsenal.

Possibly... you'd assume a more aggressive, physical team would get MORE injuries though, rather than less compared to Arsenal.

There's more options than just the aggressive approach. We can play more direct game, would be more effective I think and maybe decrease the load on midfield players

But Barcelona don't have this problem

Yeah I agree. Also think our trip to Asia completely failed - the squad simply wasn't fit enough by the start of the season. We got beat, and outplayed by Benfica who weren't that far ahead of us in their fitness programme, and we struggled (sort of) twice against an Udinese side two weeks behind us-

And the whole bribing referees thing. Hmwhat?

There's more options than just the aggressive approach. We can play more direct game, would be more effective I think and maybe decrease the load on midfield players

Long ball ftw. ;)

But Barcelona don't have this problem

Their defence is fairly injury prone, I believe. Xavi and Iniesta have had problems too... But then players like Xavi & Puyol are now getting on a little bit and have regularly played anywhere between 30-60 games a season for Barcelona, playing 90 minutes as often as possible. You also saw how they struggled at times against Madrid last season because RM had a much bigger, better squad even if their first team wasn't quite as good.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

FFS. Wenger ban upheld because UEFA were too busy giving Guardiola a blow-job to look at our appeal. Club also fined 10,000 pounds for "improper conduct" during the first leg of the Champions League play-off tie against Udinese.

And all this because one of their officials made a bad decision at the Camp Nou and Wenger complained. Ridiculous.

wtf, wenger ban appeal failed :(

now misses matches against Dortmund (a) and olyimpacos (h)

Yann M'Vila isn't worth £30m, but then Nasri isn't worth £25m either.

The transfer market's so inflated, especially that late on. Wenger should have admitted defeat or held on to Cesc (and I mean, held on) and bought a replacement early.

He probably could've got Gourcuff or Hazard for relatively cheap if he'd done that. Still, you have quite a strong squad this season and should do fairly well.

The transfer market's so inflated, especially that late on. Wenger should have admitted defeat or held on to Cesc (and I mean, held on) and bought a replacement early.

He probably could've got Gourcuff or Hazard for relatively cheap if he'd done that. Still, you have quite a strong squad this season and should do fairly well.

Won't be getting Hazard for cheap whenever he's bought.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Arteta for 10m >> M'Vila for 30m

Different type of players. Both would have been awesome, especially with Wilshere out.

The transfer market's so inflated,
especially that late on. Wenger should have admitted defeat or held on to Cesc (and I mean, held on) and bought a replacement early.

Deflated at times too, Fabregas was worth a lot more than the 34m or so fee that Barca got him for. :@

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Even though it's not the Wenger way of doing things mostly, I want him to return for Cahill and sign the **** deal in January. His presence would be a lot more reassuring even though I'm very pleased with Mertesacker's arrival.

First of all before i say this im not here to look for an argument im just saying something i know thats all. My goalkeeper went to school with Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and is still good mates with him. They were talking the other day and it seems he is finding it pretty hard at Arsenal at the moment. Apparently he isent dosent like the training at Arsenal as it is so different and focused way too much on fitness rather than with the ball. He is also unhappy that his dad is keeping most of his money away from him which is something i personly agree with as the lad is only young but all is not well at the moment.

Even though it's not the Wenger way of doing things mostly, I want him to return for Cahill and sign the **** deal in January. His presence would be a lot more reassuring even though I'm very pleased with Mertesacker's arrival.

Yes and get rid of Karate Kid & Almunia.

Back