The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
First Fabianski out not it looks like Coquelin's out. Who next. **** good we don't have many first teamers out there.

So, Squills and Mannone not doing much to show how they're actually good for the first team are they...

How do fellow Arsenal fans think of our season so far, may I ask? Good, bad or are you just content that we are now back at the top of the Premier League table? Of course, we couldn't done better earlier on but we are picking up form (and have already qualified for the Champions League Knockout Stages) and look a dangerous side, especially at home.

Robin Van Persie has been phenomenal this season, even at times when our team looked dodgy and poor (including the 8-2 defeat to Manchester United). I would rather we signed a better second striker than Park Chu-Young but, for less than £2 million - and at this poor economic time, that was a great deal for us. I'm glad Arsène Wenger has decided to finally ditch his price and splash out this season, although I think we could have spent less money and still do as well. Sure, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has great potential and is a good, young player but £15m is a heavily inflated price tag for someone so immature and still learning. It is a bit like the Theo Walcott signing (both from Southampton, may I add) - but what is very encouraging about this deal is that Walcott has been pretty much a success and in my opinion, Oxlade is in a similar mould to him.

In Europe, despite our 'problems' early on, we still managed to keep scraping wins or draws and some of our stronger players showed in those games, when everyone else seemed to give up. Olympique Marseille, Borussia Dormund and Olympiakos Piraeus are by no means an easy group (harder than United's and Chelsea's) yet we managed to overcome the hurdles and become the first English side to qualify. I am looking forward to the Knockout Rounds as I think we have a chance to go far (although saying we should be able to win is a bit far)! The biggest hurdle we have to overcome is to get through the rough times, as we always seem to falter at the end of the title race and just miss out on that eluding Premier League trophy - but this year I think we have a good mixture of both spirit and talent. We'll just have to wait and see whether we will be winning any silverware soon, or re-building our squad (although we have quite a few promising youngsters at the moment) and reputation.

What are your thoughts on this (sorry if this is a bit off-topic, I wasn't sure where to post it)?

If you haven't watched the first half, I suggest you don't watch the second.

Mannone, Squillaci and Arshavin have played their way out of the club. Chamakh did a brilliant dive as well.

If you haven't watched the first half, I suggest you don't watch the second.

Mannone, Squillaci and Arshavin have played their way out of the club. Chamakh did a brilliant dive as well.

which lead Yossi to score a brilliant goal . get in !!! ;)

First Fabianski out not it looks like Coquelin's out. Who next. **** good we don't have many first teamers out there.

because they lack arsene's *'mental strengths' ;)

* say it in arsene's way :P

Statues for Chapman, Adams and Henry to mark Arsenal's 125th anniversary. Fitting tributes indeed.

Something stolen from the BBC, made me smile: "Didnt Samir Nasri leave Arsenal to play European football at a higher level?"

Arsenal could get either:
Napoli, CSKA Moscow, FC Basel, Lyon, Bayer Leverkusen, Zenit St. Petersburg, AC Milan
in the Champions League Round of 16.
Teams that we should avoid are: AC Milan and Napoli!!
Sad news to hear that the two Machester clubs are out of the UCL. 3 Italian teams are going into UCL round 16. Good thing, only 2 La Liga teams made it to the round of 16. If this continues in the future, it's bye bye 4 places in UCL.

Hoping we avoid the Italian and Russian clubs. Russian mainly because of the travel.

Knowing our luck we will end up with Milan though....

Manchester City are 'very, very boring' to watch, says Jens Lehmann

• Former Germany keeper attacks City's style as 'amateur'
• Lehmann: 'There was no life in the stadium. It was dead'

The former Arsenal and Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann says the Champions League is better off without Manchester City after they were eliminated from the competition despite beating Bayern Munich 2-0.

Lehmann, working as a pundit for Germany's Sky television, could not hide his pleasure at seeing City drop into the Europa League as Napoli joined Bayern in qualification from Group A of the competition.

"Man City play very, very boring football," he said. "They just make their opponents fall asleep with lots of possession. That is not tactically very demanding. The way they play here is the way any amateur team plays, only not on such good grass.

"They just pack men behind the ball, have five against two and just move the ball around. The goal then just comes from a fortunate circumstance."

Lehmann, who played in the Champions League final for Arsenal against Barcelona in 2006, albeit for only 18 minutes before being sent off, was also unimpressed by the atmosphere at the Etihad Stadium.

"There was no life in the stadium," he said. "It was dead. The fans are so quiet. You have got to say, though, that they have not got anything really to get excited about here. They had possession all of the time, albeit in their own half where nothing was happening. It is a shame because it is not typical English football.

"Napoli have heart and passion and I liked them. It is good that they have gone through. We don't want to see Manchester City in the Champions League."

LOL?

[video=youtube;daXt_pthRfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daXt_pthRfg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Back