The Arsenal Thread

Don't want us to get either to be honest. Montoya is good, but phyiscally he isn't great. Would much rather see us go for Abate or even Pizczeck depending on how Dortmund do this year.

Don't want us to get either to be honest. Montoya is good, but phyiscally he isn't great. Would much rather see us go for Abate or even Pizczeck depending on how Dortmund do this year.

I'd also rather get older more experienced player for couple seasons until Jenko is ready to take over fully. Then we might also have Bellerin ready to provide competition.

I like jenkinson he is good at crossing and is tall fast and strong but he does make some rashh decision making!

I like jenkinson he is good at crossing and is tall fast and strong but he does make some rashh decision making!

I think his crossing is pretty awful to be honest. His workrate, strength, marking, tackling and speed are his real strengths. He gets in good positions to support the attack up the pitch, but his crosses rarely are a threat...

I want to know how it would of played out if the official did not wrongfully disallow the Altidore goal. Worst call of the season so far.

I want to know how it would of played out if the official did not wrongfully disallow the Altidore goal. Worst call of the season so far.

You`ll never know... so we`ll move forward. That`s football.

Nothing will ever stop a referee's incompetence. I just don't understand why Sagna wasn't sent off.

Nothing will ever stop a referee's incompetence. I just don't understand why Sagna wasn't sent off.

Could be because at the time he blew his whistle it didn't look like a clear goal scoring opportunity, as both the ball and Altidore was going away from goal. Of course the fact he put the ball in the net showed it was an opportunity - but once the ref has called the whistle his actions shouldn't be affected by anything that happened.

Just pointing out that I am not trying to defend Sagna, as I think it should of been a red. It's just the most likely explanation for it.

They were playing to the whistle, so the goal didn't stand as he went for a FK rather than advantage, which with the benefit of hindsight was a mistake.

The referee actually stuck to his original decision, which was a fk in a position which would have been unlikely to result in a goal, and the goal scoring opportunity wasn't clear cut at the time of the whistle.

I do agree with the benefit of hindsight it appears harsh though.

Could be because at the time he blew his whistle it didn't look like a clear goal scoring opportunity, as both the ball and Altidore was going away from goal. Of course the fact he put the ball in the net showed it was an opportunity - but once the ref has called the whistle his actions shouldn't be affected by anything that happened.

Just pointing out that I am not trying to defend Sagna, as I think it should of been a red. It's just the most likely explanation for it.

Well it was obviously a goal scoring opportunity. It was certainly a strange series of events.. Poor defending, and even poorer refereeing.

But if Altidore can make Sagna look a fool (apparently one of the best full backs in the league) then he's certainly going to be a handful this season!

Well it was obviously a goal scoring opportunity. It was certainly a strange series of events.. Poor defending, and even poorer refereeing.

But if Altidore can make Sagna look a fool (apparently one of the best full backs in the league) then he's certainly going to be a handful this season!

Just because he "scored" doesn't mean it is a clear goal scoring opportunity. And as I said, he shouldn't be affected by anything that happened after the whistle was blown anyway.

(And Sagna is nowhere near one of the best fullbacks in the league. He used to be, now he is pretty awful there. Decent CB though!)

I do agree it became obvious after the event, but at the point the whistle was blown it's less clear cut.

I think Sagna is over rated on his name though, he's declined for several seasons straight, ends up on the floor too often and has a horrible cross, which actually matters with a Giroud up front.

Just because he "scored" doesn't mean it is a clear goal scoring opportunity. And as I said, he shouldn't be affected by anything that happened after the whistle was blown anyway.

(And Sagna is nowhere near one of the best fullbacks in the league. He used to be, now he is pretty awful there. Decent CB though!)
But when Sagna is the last man stopping Altidore getting into the box it's quite clear he's going to get a shot off and therefore it is a goal scoring opportunity. If Sagna wasn't hanging off him he'd have been in an even better position to get a shot away because he'd have near full control of the ball on the edge of the box.

The ball and Altidore were both moving towards the goal, fair enough if the ball was going out towards the sideline but it was heading straight at the byline and not all that far out. He was wrong to blow so soon and he was wrong to allow Sagna to stay on the pitch.

But when Sagna is the last man stopping Altidore getting into the box it's quite clear he's going to get a shot off and therefore it is a goal scoring opportunity. If Sagna wasn't hanging off him he'd have been in an even better position to get a shot away because he'd have near full control of the ball on the edge of the box.

The ball and Altidore were both moving towards the goal, fair enough if the ball was going out towards the sideline but it was heading straight at the byline and not all that far out. He was wrong to blow so soon and he was wrong to allow Sagna to stay on the pitch.

Please notice my last line on my original post on the matter.... I agree he should of been sent off. I am just pointing out the reasons he wasn't.

No idea yet, waiting for reports from people who watch our U-21's consistently.

I watch most games if nothing better is on, and he seems quite good from the little I've seen from him so far. Scored in a match a few weeks ago, but I don't remember against who.

He's good in the tackle and holding players up, and dominates in the air. Very nervous on the ball though, usually he either hoofs it up the field or passes it back to the GK as soon as he's under any pressure.

I watch most games if nothing better is on, and he seems quite good from the little I've seen from him so far. Scored in a match a few weeks ago, but I don't remember against who.

He's good in the tackle and holding players up, and dominates in the air. Very nervous on the ball though, usually he either hoofs it up the field or passes it back to the GK as soon as he's under any pressure.

His passing will improve massively here. Wouldn't be too worried about it.