The Arsenal Thread

It seems very unlikely that Wenger would go for Hazard, I think he would demand too high a transfer fee. Would love to see him in the premiership though. Out of interest Joss, who would you want to sign?

Would we all agree, though, that Arsene definitely needs to sign an aerially-adept center-back? From what I saw at the weekend (and all throughout the season), Cahill would be perfect albeit way out of Wenger's price range.

Have you stolen my identity? ;)

Agree to an extent with most of your points...

I don't think Denilson is adequate back-up and Diaby is too inconsistent. Frimpong and Coquelin could well provide competition to Alex Song at DM next year, though. Lansbury has done very well in the Championship, but I'm not sure if he'll be ready to be 2nd/3rd choice to Wilshere (Long Term replacement), though we do have Ramsey who will hopefully make a full recovery - ability and fitness wise.

I think we need a left-forward who would provide the goals that everyone is going on about... Not 20 a season, obviously but Arshavin has been largely poor and he really needs good competition for his spot. Ryo won't be able to provide that yet, I don't think and Hazard isn't likely to come to Arsenal, so rule that one out!

Exclusive: Vermaelen Set To Face Man Utd « Young Guns || Unrivalled Coverage Of Arsenal's Young Players & Their Development

Stolen by TalkSport here: Arsenal boost as Vermaelen to make shock return for reserves this week | talkSPORT

Diaby and Ramsey though are the 3rd and 4th choices (Diaby being Song's back-up and Ramsey being Wilshere's) and Denilson is fine as a 5th choice. I think he gets too much criticism, he's not as bad as people say.

When you say you want a left forward, do you mean a left winger (when Nasri isn't in)? Or that you want to switch to a 4-4-2? I think the 4-2-3-1 is great because it means Cesc can do his thing and Wilshere can play a lot too (he can't be the DM behind Cesc in a 4-4-2 because he's not steely enough). If Arsenal goes with a 4-4-2, that DM has to be **** good. When Song's out it would have to be Diaby, and when he's out, it would have to be Denilson. Since none of Arsenal's DM's are great, I think it makes perfect sense to play two that complement each other well, one bigger one (Song, Diaby) and one smaller, technical one (Wilshere, Song). So if the squad sticks with the 4-2-3-1, like I think it should, I guess I don't see what they need other than one other good finisher to replace RVP when he's hurt. And even then, that could be Bendtner or Chamakh this upcoming season.

I forgot to mention GK. Szczesny has been great, and buying a GK would really set back his development. Fabianski was very good this season, too. And Almunia is a capable #3.

If Arsenal doesn't buy anyone this summer they'll be fine. The only thing holding them back is the psychological issues.

Antoine Grizmann would be Wenger type player. Skillful , Fast and French.

I like their 4-2-3-1. Cesc had an off-year but will be better next season after he's rested.

I'm not sure if either Milito would be good for the Prem. Diego is too slow (not to mention he's old), and Gabriel is very small. People keep on saying Arsenal need a commanding, large CB who is good on set pieces (although I think they're fine with TV5 and Djorou).

Honestly I'm not sure what they should do. Their starting XI is fine as it is. I think their only problem is they don't have an adequate replacement for RVP when he is hurt. Bendtner and Chamakh are both plan B's, but they need a great finisher who can be RVP's backup. I guess Milito could be that, since he's pretty good in the air too, especially if they can get him for 5 million quid (what other proven striker could they get for that in this market?). On the wings they have Nasri (great), Walcott (fast, English, and improving), Arshavin (had a bad year but is a great player, should be back), Vela (potential), Rosicky (experience). At DM I like the starting combo of Song and Wilshere, and Diaby and Denilson are capable backups (and there's Frimpong to think of). They have 4 good CB's. Two good RB's. If Gibbs is healthy they have a young, promising, fast, English LB, and Clichy is a capable back-up.

The squad is fine, they just had terrible timing with the CC final, Barca second leg, and OT FA Cup draw all in the same week. Losing that CC final destroyed their confidence, and the next two defeats (which were tough, tough games) meant they were ****** in the heads. The "no trophy" criticism has gotten to them and they really underperformed down the stretch at the end of the year. But I think the team is well-built and well-coached and they're fine. They just need to be confident next season and not let the criticism/lack of trophies/underconfidence get into their heads.

Someone on the wing who has the killer instinct to get in the box would be my pick, plus a commanding CB if Vermaelen doesn't get fit or has more injuries.

It seems very unlikely that Wenger would go for Hazard, I think he would demand too high a transfer fee. Would love to see him in the premiership though. Out of interest Joss, who would you want to sign?

Diaby and Ramsey though are the 3rd and 4th choices (Diaby being Song's back-up and Ramsey being Wilshere's) and Denilson is fine as a 5th choice. I think he gets too much criticism, he's not as bad as people say.

When you say you want a left forward, do you mean a left winger (when Nasri isn't in)? Or that you want to switch to a 4-4-2? I think the 4-2-3-1 is great because it means Cesc can do his thing and Wilshere can play a lot too (he can't be the DM behind Cesc in a 4-4-2 because he's not steely enough). If Arsenal goes with a 4-4-2, that DM has to be **** good. When Song's out it would have to be Diaby, and when he's out, it would have to be Denilson. Since none of Arsenal's DM's are great, I think it makes perfect sense to play two that complement each other well, one bigger one (Song, Diaby) and one smaller, technical one (Wilshere, Song). So if the squad sticks with the 4-2-3-1, like I think it should, I guess I don't see what they need other than one other good finisher to replace RVP when he's hurt. And even then, that could be Bendtner or Chamakh this upcoming season.

I forgot to mention GK. Szczesny has been great, and buying a GK would really set back his development. Fabianski was very good this season, too. And Almunia is a capable #3.

If Arsenal doesn't buy anyone this summer they'll be fine. The only thing holding them back is the psychological issues.

Nononononono

Ramsey isn't 4th choice! Ramsey is Cesc's direct replacement and I'm sure he's above the pecking order for Wilshere's role than Diaby (depending on the game) and certainly Lansbury who would presumably be the other competition for that role next season. He's 2nd choice in either Cesc or Wilshere's position for me...

Not even reading your arguments on 4-4-2. Don't want that - 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for the players we have...

left-forward just because Walcott and Arshavin play further up the field and in a more forward role than being wingers..

A better Arshavin basically.

@FuelledbyPassion:

A RB to replace Eboue and a left-forward would be my ideal signings. Not sure who, specifically, though.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

You're far too optimistic.

Arsenal do need to sign some players but it won't be an overhaul and that isn't needed.

Almunia is by no means a capable #3 - Mannone will come back and Almunia will go out, I expect.

Denilson needs to be sold, IMO - to a mid-table La Liga side where he'd actually do well. He's not underrated at all - he's clumsy and slow and contributes nothing to Arsenal's attacking phase apart from the occasional screamer. Square and backwards passes won't help anyone unless we're 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go and need to keep the ball. What's the point in paying him just to have him on the bench for that purpose?

Nononononono

Ramsey isn't 4th choice! Ramsey is Cesc's direct replacement and I'm sure he's above the pecking order for Wilshere's role than Diaby (depending on the game) and certainly Lansbury who would presumably be the other competition for that role next season. He's 2nd choice in either Cesc or Wilshere's position for me...

Not even reading your arguments on 4-4-2. Don't want that - 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for the players we have...

left-forward just because Walcott and Arshavin play further up the field and in a more forward role than being wingers..

@FuelledbyPassion:

A RB to replace Eboue and a left-forward would be my ideal signings. Not sure who, specifically, though.

A back up for left forward though? Or would you prefer to see Nasri/Walcott dropped or rotated and sign a first choice left forward?
I started an Arsenal game on FM recently and admit, I didn't look at a centre back or 'keeper, but ended up signing Vidal (as Song was injured) and Vargas (to play as a left forward). Not really the type of players that Arsenal want in reality, but a LF would be a priority for me.

He's yours for £35m! Arsenal finally ready to listen to offers for captain Fabregas

I actually want Cesc to go now If you want to go to Barca so bad go there it not even like he is going to start anyway all he has been doing for the last 2 years is Complaining and having Hamstring injuries he is a great player but if you want to go there is no player bigger then the club imo and he should have never been made captain he aint a leader but selling him for 35 million is criminal at least 45 million

A back up for left forward though? Or would you prefer to see Nasri/Walcott dropped or rotated and sign a first choice left forward?
I started an Arsenal game on FM recently and admit, I didn't look at a centre back or 'keeper, but ended up signing Vidal (as Song was injured) and Vargas (to play as a left forward). Not really the type of players that Arsenal want in reality, but a LF would be a priority for me.

Well Walcott isn't an LF? Not necessarily back-up. Would rather have Nasri and Walcott competing for RF and Arshavin + someone else (not Nasri, he's far better on the right) competing for LF.

He's yours for £35m! Arsenal finally ready to listen to offers for captain Fabregas

I actually want Cesc to go now If you want to go to Barca so bad go there it not even like he is going to start anyway all he has been doing for the last 2 years is Complaining and having Hamstring injuries he is a great player but if you want to go there is no player bigger then the club imo and he should have never been made captain he aint a leader but selling him for 35 million is criminal at least 45 million

OH dear! He's had hamstring injuries therefore should leave the club...

Don't be silly - Just because The Sun reports we're willing to listen to offers (blatantly not - especially not that price) it a) doesn't mean it's true and b) doesn't mean Cesc thinks he's bigger than the club.

If anything, Cesc would have done more to push for a move last year. All he said/did was say that "ONE DAY" He'd like to go to Barca "IF" he ever left Arsenal. Everyone obviously interpreted that as "Cesc demands immediate move or threatens to cut Arsene's head off with a blunt knife" because they always twist his words and everyone else's.

If Carroll is worth £35m, Fabregas is easily worth £70m by those prices. But Barca won't pay that and we don't want to and don't have to sell.

Denilson is fine as a 5th choice. I think he gets too much criticism, he's not as bad as people say.

And Almunia is a capable #3.

1. He is not arsenal class and should be sold
2. He is not a capable #3 he is woefull
3. We must buy players or we will fall away from the other 5 teams

As revealed exclusively by Young Guns yesterday, Vermaelen is set to return to action tonight for the Reserves against Man Utd. Arsenal need to win tonight and hope Chelsea drop points in their remaining two games to have any chance of winning the Reserve League. They've been unfortunate this year.. Tearing the league apart until Afobe, JET went on loan and Aneke got injured...

ANYWAY:
Thomas Vermaelen is expected to make his long-awaited return from injury for Arsenal's reserves at Manchester United on Thursday, though the Belgian international will not be considered for a first‑team appearance against the same opposition in the Premier League meeting on Sunday.

The centre-half has been absent since damaging an achilles in September, an injury which he had initially anticipated would keep him out of action for only six weeks. However, that assessment proved wildly optimistic and a lengthy rehabilitation process is only now showing signs of completion.

Arsène Wenger had been resigned to being without the £10m signing from Ajax for the remainder of the campaign – he has featured only three times for his club side all season – though the 25-year-old has responded well to treatment and light training in recent weeks and is now running relatively free of pain.

As a result, Vermaelen has been pencilled in to feature at United on Thursday and, should he come through unscathed, could yet feature at some point over the remainder of the Premier League season.

He has been sorely missed this term, with Laurent Koscielny and Sébastien Squillaci displaying frailties at times, alongside Johan Djourou, in the French duo's first year in English football.

Arsenal, now third and nine points behind United, still have games against Stoke City, Aston Villa and Fulham to come after the meeting the Premier League leaders at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.
Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen to make long-awaited return | Football | guardian.co.uk

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Emirates Cup 2011 line-up is confirmed: New York Red Bulls, Paris Saint-Germain and Boca Juniors Emirates Cup 2011 line-up is confirmed | News Archive | News | Arsenal.com

Thierry will return!

As revealed exclusively by Young Guns yesterday, Vermaelen is set to return to action tonight for the Reserves against Man Utd. Arsenal need to win tonight and hope Chelsea drop points in their remaining two games to have any chance of winning the Reserve League. They've been unfortunate this year.. Tearing the league apart until Afobe, JET went on loan and Aneke got injured...

ANYWAY:

Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen to make long-awaited return | Football | guardian.co.uk

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Emirates Cup 2011 line-up is confirmed: New York Red Bulls, Paris Saint-Germain and Boca Juniors Emirates Cup 2011 line-up is confirmed | News Archive | News | Arsenal.com

Thierry will return!

2 Peices of great news!

1. TV5 Is on his way back ! :D :D
2. King Henry returns to the Emirates just like Last year :D

Nononononono

@FuelledbyPassion:

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

You're far too optimistic.

Arsenal do need to sign some players but it won't be an overhaul and that isn't needed.

Almunia is by no means a capable #3 - Mannone will come back and Almunia will go out, I expect.

Denilson needs to be sold, IMO - to a mid-table La Liga side where he'd actually do well. He's not underrated at all - he's clumsy and slow and contributes nothing to Arsenal's attacking phase apart from the occasional screamer. Square and backwards passes won't help anyone unless we're 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go and need to keep the ball. What's the point in paying him just to have him on the bench for that purpose?

Ramsey isn't really a 4th choice, he's Wilshere's back-up (and Diaby is Song's back-up). When none of those four can play, put in Denilson. He's not great but he's fine as a fifth choice and I don't see why they should get rid of him unless they know they can find a very cheap replacement. I don't want to say he's underrated but people criticize him all the time and some of it isn't justified.

You clearly didn't read my arguments on the 4-4-2 because I said I didn't want a 4-4-2. THe 4-2-3-1 is obviously the best for Arsenal.

I don't really think a left-winger is needed. Nasri on the left and Walcott on the right should be the starting line-up for next season. Arshavin had a rough year but we all know he's a great player and a more-than-capable back-up. I bet he'll be back next season, I don't think he could have lost that talent in a year. On the right Vela and Rosicky can be Walcott's back-ups (or move Nasri to the right and put Arshavin on the left when Walcott is out). If Arsenal has injuries at this position, I do agree they could use another winger. But they shouldn't spend big, they should find a quality young player for cheap, and I trust that Arsene could do that.

Eboue isn't great but he's definitely good enough to be a second-string RB. If you look at the back-up outside backs at other top clubs, I don't think they're any better than Eboue.

I think Szczesny has already proven himself to be good enough to be Arsenal's GK. Yeah he's had a couple of mistakes (and I'm not including the CC cup goal in this), but it's his first season as an Arsenal starter. And let's not forget all of the amazing saves he's made already. Fabianski is a capable #2 and was very good this season til he got hurt. Between Almunia and Mannone they have a capable #3.

The thing is RVP is out a lot, and without him, they don't have a finisher. So I could see Arsene looking for a good deal on a striker with decent touch who can finish and pass. If he decides though that this striker would interfere with the development of Bendtner and Chamakh, I don't blame him. Don't spend unless you have to, that's my philosophy.

With TV5 in this side and another year of experience they are definite title challengers (Champions League challengers too if they don't draw Barca) and will pick up a CC or FA Cup depending on their luck. That's where they are right now and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's not worth going out and indebting yourself and stunt the development of your own players. All Arsenal needs is maybe another back-up winger and maybe a back-up striker. And those should be young and cheap Wengeresque signings, there's no sense in shelling out for an old back-up that won't improve unless he's definitely a leader and a warrior.

OH dear! He's had hamstring injuries therefore should leave the club...

Don't be silly - Just because The Sun reports we're willing to listen to offers (blatantly not - especially not that price) it a) doesn't mean it's true and b) doesn't mean Cesc thinks he's bigger than the club.

If anything, Cesc would have done more to push for a move last year. All he said/did was say that "ONE DAY" He'd like to go to Barca "IF" he ever left Arsenal. Everyone obviously interpreted that as "Cesc demands immediate move or threatens to cut Arsene's head off with a blunt knife" because they always twist his words and everyone else's.

If Carroll is worth £35m, Fabregas is easily worth £70m by those prices. But Barca won't pay that and we don't want to and don't have to sell.

First of all, Carroll is English - so his price was highly inflated, add to that the fact Newcastle knew they needed a striker and were getting £50M for Torres they pushed their luck knowing they'd get somewhere.

Secondly, regarding the Cesc article. Cesc is a columnist for The Sun. Surely that plays a part in them printing the story. If it was false, and they decided to print it, surely Cesc would go crazy considering he writes for the same newspaper that's claiming he is going to leave Arsenal in the summer...

First of all, Carroll is English - so his price was highly inflated, add to that the fact Newcastle knew they needed a striker and were getting £50M for Torres they pushed their luck knowing they'd get somewhere.

Secondly, regarding the Cesc article. Cesc is a columnist for The Sun. Surely that plays a part in them printing the story. If it was false, and they decided to print it, surely Cesc would go crazy considering he writes for the same newspaper that's claiming he is going to leave Arsenal in the summer...

Cesc writes for The Sun?!!

Not really - they write stuff all the time which isn't true. They've not said he's agreed a pre-contract like Xavi says all the time but they've said Arsenal are willing to part with him for £35m which is absolute rubbish - Wenger has since come out and said there's no truth in whatsoever. Arsenal are under no financial pressure to sell and that amount of money is embarrassing for a player of Cesc's quality.

There's no way he'll go for less than £40m and certainly shouldn't.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

James Shea pulled off an outstanding save to give Arsenal Reserves a point today against Utd. It means Chelsea and Utd win their respective leagues (I don't know how it works).

Best save I've seen at any level for a while tbh - one handed from a powerful header down in the 6 yard box and he knocked it onto the bar.

Cesc writes for The Sun?!!

Not really - they write stuff all the time which isn't true. They've not said he's agreed a pre-contract like Xavi says all the time but they've said Arsenal are willing to part with him for £35m which is absolute rubbish - Wenger has since come out and said there's no truth in whatsoever. Arsenal are under no financial pressure to sell and that amount of money is embarrassing for a player of Cesc's quality.

There's no way he'll go for less than £40m and certainly shouldn't.

Apparently so.. Sky Sports were talking about the story and their little man that goes in and talks about all the gossip mentioned that he's signed up to write articles for The Sun every now and then..

They write rubbish all the time, but never about someone who writes for them. It'd be like them saying Terry Venables is having an affair if he wasn't.. They'd lose too much from it being a false story about one of their own columnists.

Apparently so.. Sky Sports were talking about the story and their little man that goes in and talks about all the gossip mentioned that he's signed up to write articles for The Sun every now and then..

They write rubbish all the time, but never about someone who writes for them. It'd be like them saying Terry Venables is having an affair if he wasn't.. They'd lose too much from it being a false story about one of their own columnists.

But it has nothing to do with Cesc personally at this stage. By saying Barcelona "might" be offered him for £35m is just speculation rather than saying anything is confirmed.

TBH - I wouldn't be surprised if they did just make it up even if he does write for them. Wouldn't put it past them..