• He's rubbish, full stop.

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • He's good at what he does.

Votes: 91 55.2%

• Total voters

GodCubed

Mod-ern Day Legend
Reaction score
I got into a little debate with someone earlier. He's a very blinkered person. Anyway, without any facts he quickly spouted off that Emile Heskey is categorically a "**** player". I, being a Heskey fan, defended England's lionheart. It all went a bit ugly from there on in, but something he said got me thinking. He said "literally nobody agrees with you. NOBODY thinks Heskey is a good player." So noble FM-Basers - does anyone agree with me?

Emile Ivanhoe Heskey, to me, is a tragically misunderstood player. A striker who doesn't score goals. Unique. Time and again, however, it has been said that he consistently contributes to the game. Almost all of his strike partners have specifically gone out of their way to praise him, because they feel that he does so much for them. Stats show how well people play alongside him - Owen, Fowler, Rooney, whoever. He brings power, strength, height and pace, a rare combination, to a game. Most of all, he's Emile Heskey. He works his heart out for you, and you can't help but love him.

On the other hand, Rene Higuita has scored more than him at international level. He's comically uncomposed in front of goal, and his touch is awful. He has most of the attributes for a good striker apart from the most important one, an eye for goal, and is regularly absolutely castigated by fans of the game.

So. You've heard it all. Emile Heskey - footballer or flop?

Last edited:
Flop for me, when your a striker you are judged by goals nothing much else.

a very specific footballer. outside of his role as supporting battering ram, hes not so good. but hes good at what he does

Last edited:
i agree with you, i think that Heskey is a good footballer and he helps the team in more ways than scoring, wish liverpool had not sold him :(

I love Heskey, he is brilliant at what he does, no manager plays him with the expectation of him scoring 30 goals a season, but he is a great player when it comes to building up the play and supporting a strike partner, people who think he is a rubbish player are people who don't understand how 2 players in the same position can have different roles (I have plenty of mates who disagree with me on the wonder that is Heskey as well).

World Cup winner and current AC Milan star Rivaldo has singled out Liverpool's Emile Heskey as the English player he most admires and insists the Kop star could cope in the Brazil team.

Rivaldo played against Heskey for Barcelona twice last season and again in the World Cup and insists he rates the Liverpool No.8 very, very highly.

"Heskey may be heavily criticised by some English fans but I don't see it like that," he says. "I played against him a couple of times for Barcelona against Liverpool in the Champions League and realised what a quality player he is. It wasn't long before I began thinking what weight of character and strength Heskey possessed. I told the other players [in Brazil] how dangerous he was. I admire the way he attacks the Premierhip. So when you ask me which Englishman I think would be able to cope with playing in my team, Brazil, I say Heskey."

I like him, just because he dosen't score goals, as a striker isn't bad for me or mean he's a bad player, as he sets up goals for his colleagues. But he's certainly an English scapegoat

He's good at what he does, personally I think it would be interesting to see him supporting two strikers. Shola Ameobi is a similar player, but capable of being clinical from time to time.

Unfairly singled out. Heskey might not score a lot of goals but he forms a brilliant foil for his partner. He is a fantastic player with his back to goal, it's just when he gets a 1v1 situation or into the penalty area where the flaws in his game get picked apart, and as a striker its one of the most important assets. Unfair criticism for me.

I think the role he is asked to do, he does very well but as a striker he doesn't score nearly enough goals.

If you're judging him on his role for the team, then he is good at it. If you're judging him as a striker, then he's pretty poor.

He is good as a wall to aim for up front, but couldn't score if his life depended on it, and that is what strikers are judged upon.

it depends whether or not you think goals are the be all and end all for a striker. i am a fan of Heskey and think he is harshly criticised, although i agree he can be a frustrating player when he is presented with a chance.

He's great at what he does, but if was a better finisher he'd be a brilliant player.

Back