Reaction score
I've decided to try to replicate the Lisbon Lions' achievement of winning the Champions League with purely homegrown talent. Additionally, I want to make it even tougher by starting off at an LLM club, make my way up the leagues, upgrade my facilities enough to be able to get good enough regens from my own club to win the Champions League with regens from my own youth academy (buying players strictly forbidden, unless they're from your home city!).

However, I'd like to start off with a club from a major European city, preferably cities of 1 million plus inhabitants, in Portugal, Spain, England, France, Italy, Germany or Holland, though I will consider other countries too. This is simply to be able to garner enough money for larger stadiums and a healthy economy which would make the challenge possible. The team should preferably be as far down the tiers as possible. In Italy I've found Atletico Roma, but are there any other teams people here would suggest, especially in Portugal or Holland?

This may be more correctly posted in "What team should I go," but as it's also a challenge, I felt this was the right part.

The pick of Athe~'s teams, plus some of my own.

Holland
- FC Eindhoven, inhabitants range of 100,001-250,000
- Sparta Rotterdam, inhabitants range of 500,000-1,000,000

France
- Paris FC, inhabitants range of 5,000,001-10,000,000
- UjA Paris-Alfortville, inhabitants range of 25,001-50,000
- US Creteil-Lusitanos, inhabitants range of 50,001-10,0000
- Amiens Sporting Club Football, inhabitants range of 100,001-250,000

Spain
- U.E. Sant Andreu, inhabitants range of 1,000,001-2,500,000

Germany
- Dynamo Dresden, inhabitants range of 500,001-1,000,000
- SV Babelsberg 03, inhabitants range of 100,001-250,000

Portugal
- Atlético CP, inhabitants range of 1,000,001-2,500,000
- Boavista, inhabitants range of 2,500,001-5,000,000
- Casa Pia, inhabitants range of 1,000,001-2,500,000
- Oriental, inhabitants range of 1,000,001-2,500,000

Italy
- Atletico Roma, inhabitants range of 2,500,001-5,000,000

I don't think Paris-Alfortville or Creteil have the required population to become a fantastic team though...

Last edited:
//Edit:
Netherlands:
FC Eindhoven (Eindhoven metropolitan area: 775k people)
Sparta Rotterdam (Rotterdam metro over 6m people)

France:
Paris FC (Paris :p)
UjA Paris-Alfortville (Paris suburbs)
US Creteil-Lusitanos (Creteil, Paris suburbs)

Germany:
Dynamo Dresden (Dresden metro 1.143m people)
SV Babelsberg 03 (Potsdam, ~15 miles southwest of Berlin)

Romania:
Juventus Buçuresti (Bucharest, 1.9m people)

Portugal:
Atlético CP (Lisbon)
Boavista (Good fanbase, Porto metro 1.355m people)

Belgium:
RFC Liege (Liege metro 749k people)

Italy:
Atletico Roma (Rome) - Serie C1

Well, it may not be what you were looking for but here are a few. I don't know how the game calculates population and fans but I put the RL population of the not so obvious cities.

Last edited:
FC Eindhoven?

Good shout, I'd prefer a league that's not the top ones, as I'd like to test the new dynamic league malarky they say they've implemented!

Edit - Paris looks awesome actually!

Good shout, I'd prefer a league that's not the top ones, as I'd like to test the new dynamic league malarky they say they've implemented!

Edit - Paris looks awesome actually!

I added a few more :p

I'd advise not going Juventus Bucuresti, as they are horrendously bad. Like almost beyond repair. Although if you fancy a challenge...

Going to do this myself, hopefully with celtic (but i doubt it) when the new patch comes out
I think if you can sign regens young enough then get them scottish nationality then it would be possible

I did this with Rangers in FM10 :p Good challenge mate, one which I may take part in eventually :p

Going to do this myself, hopefully with celtic (but i doubt it) when the new patch comes out
I think if you can sign regens young enough then get them scottish nationality then it would be possible

I think the point of the challenge is that they're either born in town or at least grown by your academy, as in you can't sign anyone else.

Do it with Arsenal.... That'd be tough ;)

Would be difficult to do, but anyone that could do it, i'd take my hat off to you !

I think the point of the challenge is that they're either born in town or at least grown by your academy, as in you can't sign anyone else.

Yeah i know mate, but thats pretty much impossible id say

Celtic didn't get all the players from their youth academy though, some were bought i.e. Willie Wallace, Billy McNeill, Ronnie Simpson, all the members of the team were born within 30 miles of Glasgow though :) and yes I did go research that as even though i'm a Rangers fan i'll admit it was an amazing achievement and I didn't really know much about it except they were all Scottish.

Yeah i know mate, but thats pretty much impossible id say

To be fair, I doubt so. It would take time, I'll give you that.

//Edit I'm thinking of giving it a shot myself, I'm not really good at this, though, so it's gonna take a LOT of time :p

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Celtic didn't get all the players from their youth academy though, some were bought i.e. Willie Wallace, Billy McNeill, Ronnie Simpson, all the members of the team were born within 30 miles of Glasgow though :) and yes I did go research that as even though i'm a Rangers fan i'll admit it was an amazing achievement and I didn't really know much about it except they were all Scottish.

either born in town or at least grown by your academy

They were born in town :p

And not, I'm not a Celtic fan, but it's a pretty amazing feat for a european club.

Which is why you're cool. <3

But I do think, that if you're going to do the challenge, you should sign players from cities around the club you're playing. I.E players from around 30 miles of and including Paris if you choose Paris F.C

http://www.travelmath.com/cities-near/Dresden,+Germany

I used that site for Dresden, you can change the end to anything like, Eindhoven,+Netherlands ;)

Ahh yeah sorry I didn't see that in your post I just saw the grown at your own academy XD apologies ! And yeah it's an amazing achievement, and one I can't see happening for a while again.

I was going to suggest Athletic Club Bilbao, but they buy players from Basque Country and not Bilbao itself. :S

Ahh yeah sorry I didn't see that in your post I just saw the grown at your own academy XD apologies ! And yeah it's an amazing achievement, and one I can't see happening for a while again.

Indeed, money does the trick now. Why bother growing local talent when you can get 6 brazilians for the same price...