The Chelsea Thread

If the reported figures are correct, that's beyond 'too much, too soon.'

Desperation with the ban doesn't begin to cover that.
Not like they have an option. The ball was in Hudson-Odoi's court - interest from Bayern, a year left on his contract, and he was equally okay running it down and leaving on a free. They effectively had to make him a first team player, and pay him as much, to convince him to stay.

It's insane figures, I know. Especially for one who hasn't even had half a season in the top flight. But yeah, it is what it is. Oh, and reported Brexit makes him even more valuable, with him being home grown at the club too.

We’d be Continents apart if you think any of that justify’s the reported figures and left them with ‘no option.’

We’d be Continents apart if you think any of that justify’s the reported figures and left them with ‘no option.’
I dunno. Club is desperate to retain him, and they are running out of options. Plus, they need re-investment across the board in attack and defence, not to mention ageing wingers. It probably made more sense for them, financially, to retain him on a higher contract than to lose him on a free and needing to replace him.

Plus, 150k will most likely be ~100k and then incentive led. It's how most contracts are structured. And they clearly rate him very highly considering the fact that they (a selling club for youth) dug their heels and didn't even negotiate with Bayern.

Oh, and it's not like they have an embarrassment of riches for them to just forego him. Especially with Abramovich cutting down on spending. In the end, all of them were probably factor in the new contract. Not saying it's not an expensive one for a largely unproven talent, but various factors probably justified it for Chelsea//

I understand that he had minor injury.

But that Kepa double save was something.
Shouldnt of been on the bench tbh then. Like the pundits said afterward he would of been better playing the first 60 to keep them in the game. Strange bringing him on when 3-0 down already.

Shouldnt of been on the bench tbh then. Like the pundits said afterward he would of been better playing the first 60 to keep them in the game. Strange bringing him on when 3-0 down already.

Be nice if the 'pundits' would get their collective heads out of their playing past and into the modern game to appreciate his minutes will have been micro-managed by the fitness guys with Lampard left at the disposal of the science.

Be nice if the 'pundits' would get their collective heads out of their playing past and into the modern game to appreciate his minutes will have been micro-managed by the fitness guys with Lampard left at the disposal of the science.
While I tend to agree if your fit enough to be on the bench to play 30-35 mins surely your fit enough to play 60 especially in a nervy first half where we sat back for most parts and he would of had a fairly easy ride. Meh not that it matters I guess.

The United game was a weird one. It reminded me of a game we had against Spurs a few years back, when we won 4-0, in which they completely dominated us, and we managed to get 4 shots on target the whole game.
I saw a good game from Chelsea, and the loss was down to United's clinical finishing, and individual mistakes.
It is one of those rare occasions, when you get battered, but somehow still see the glass half full. I think we will be just fine come the end of the season.

The United game was a weird one. It reminded me of a game we had against Spurs a few years back, when we won 4-0, in which they completely dominated us, and we managed to get 4 shots on target the whole game.
I saw a good game from Chelsea, and the loss was down to United's clinical finishing, and individual mistakes.
It is one of those rare occasions, when you get battered, but somehow still see the glass half full. I think we will be just fine come the end of the season.
Agree. But Lampard will have to adjust. While you were good with the ball without it you were far to open and absolutely there to be rinsed on the quick counter. Same against Pool maybe not quite as bad. Hopefully Lampard can rectify this or could be a tough season.

Agree. But Lampard will have to adjust. While you were good with the ball without it you were far to open and absolutely there to be rinsed on the quick counter. Same against Pool maybe not quite as bad. Hopefully Lampard can rectify this or could be a tough season.
With Chelsea's early tempo and the movement of Pulisic and Kante, don't think it will be a problem against most teams. Chelsea should beat those easily. The top 6 (or 8/9) could be a slightly different game, however. But you have to think their gameplay is excellent, two games in.

With Chelsea's early tempo and the movement of Pulisic and Kante, don't think it will be a problem against most teams. Chelsea should beat those easily. The top 6 (or 8/9) could be a slightly different game, however. But you have to think their gameplay is excellent, two games in.
Yeah they look great on the ball. But bad without after 2 games in Kante being fit will help! But like you said the top 8 sides could really hurt them.

Lads ..... Belting out 'Feed the Scousers' at Goodison yesterday when you've just walked past foodbanks on the way in .....

When are you EVER gonna' learn and grow up?

Seriously.